PDA

View Full Version : Rolland Fantom X7

killarava2day
18-07-2005, 09:25 AM
Has anyone had any experience with this keyboard.

Basically I just can't get my head around software based production, although this thing looks like a mini computer anyway, but would I be able to make competent tracks from start to finish without the need to utilise a PC with this type of equipment.

The sales guy talked this up obviously, appears to do most things you could ask for, and it's not relatively cheap either.

eyes without a face
18-07-2005, 10:26 AM
would be a good addition to a studio setup sure but i wouldnt like to produce whole tracks on it, not for that price and not when you could have something with tons more flexibility and for nothing like that price tag

killarava2day
18-07-2005, 01:09 PM
Eyes, basically I don't like being confined to a PC to make my music, so honestly is there any way around this?

I've got most programs, and have never really explored any of em.

I used a friends MC909 for a few hours and had explored most features and was having a blast. I used to own an RM1X too, although I sold it cause the sounds generated were quite pathetic I thought.

I'm sorta confused myself as well here?

RDR
18-07-2005, 01:44 PM
The way forward is to use a tool for a job. What tool is the fantom designed for? stage? sound design? dance music?

What are its limitations?

Also i really wouldnt discount the PC all together. there are plenty of things it can do that the fantom cant. Good on screen wav editing is a total bonus.

Starfuqer
18-07-2005, 10:23 PM
i don't want to get in a software vs hardware fight but if you do not want to use a computer at all, get ready to spend 20 000 $ .

But if you have trouble wrapping your head around software , i don't think switching to hardware will really change much. The theory behind both are identical.

tekara
19-07-2005, 10:03 AM
well if you dont want anything to do with PC, then i suggest getting a good keyboard synth and an "all in one" studiobox (which everyone seems to hate). Maybe run all your keyboards into an MPC4000, and you can use the MPC as a sampler as well if you have sample CD's. Record everything into its sequencer and run the whole machine into different outs of a mixing board where you can add effects and mixdown.

There are a million different ways of doing the same thing, but if cutting out the PC is your main objective, then what i have described above is a possible solution.

killarava2day
19-07-2005, 01:51 PM
well if you dont want anything to do with PC, then i suggest getting a good keyboard synth and an "all in one" studiobox (which everyone seems to hate). Maybe run all your keyboards into an MPC4000, and you can use the MPC as a sampler as well if you have sample CD's. Record everything into its sequencer and run the whole machine into different outs of a mixing board where you can add effects and mixdown.

There are a million different ways of doing the same thing, but if cutting out the PC is your main objective, then what i have described above is a possible solution.

Well, that's what I thought this 'workstation' synth did? It samples, sequences and sounds all right too?

:doh: think I'll stick to buying records

eyes without a face
19-07-2005, 01:57 PM
it does what u say yeah but it will be extremely limited in what it can do until u utilise it in a studio environment

not wanting to use computers at all is shooting yourself in the foot really unless u can afford analogue sequencers, synths, drum machines etc etc

278d7e64a374de26f==