PDA

View Full Version : Glade is Good

Jay Pace
20-07-2005, 05:26 PM
For all those who missed glastonbury, get on the case with Glade next year.

Beautiful weather, beautiful site, great atmosphere, a decent smattering of techno & loads of electronic weirdness.

A real little gem.

Anyone else make it?

FUSION
20-07-2005, 08:27 PM
went last year and had a well good time, sadly couldnt afford it this time bet it rocked with the techno too this time

Traxx
20-07-2005, 08:51 PM
Its on the agenda for next year seeing glasto is not happening.

Si the Sigh
21-07-2005, 05:42 AM
Who was even playing this year? :?:

Jay Pace
21-07-2005, 09:40 AM
Personal highlights - speedy j, carl craig, richie hawtin, dub side of the moon (dub pink floyd covers, ace) & Cassetteboy

Other big names - AFX, squarepusher, Sasha (awful), most electronica artists, every psy trance person in the world, every breaks dj in the world

And loads more.

Dead good la'

TechMouse
21-07-2005, 09:42 AM
Sirius were rather good.

Si the Sigh
21-07-2005, 09:46 AM
Cool! Wouldn't have minded seeing Speedy J, Carl Craig, Richie Hawtin & Shitmat.

What was Hawtin's set like? :?:

Jay Pace
21-07-2005, 10:31 AM
Hawtin was ace.

The crowd were in a very silly mood - water pistols, weird spinning balloons and loads of shouting. It could have been a disasterous clash between pretentious or epic minimalism and a rambunctious crowd.

His set was funky and rude, with a few dark touches here and there. Nicely paced around 130bpm, cheeky basslines and a nice analogue feel.

The man knows how to play a crowd.

Sirius were supposed to have been brilliant. Gutted I missed them.

We are booking them for 8th Spetmeber down in Brighton if anyone is about. T'will be a belter.

TechMouse
21-07-2005, 10:47 AM
Sirius were supposed to have been brilliant. Gutted I missed them.
They were top. Good to see the 4 deck thing being rinsed over here.

Francisco Scaramanga
21-07-2005, 12:50 PM
I was there and loving it. Top stuff, this festival is ace, I doubt I'll ever even bother to try and get a ticket to Glasto again, as long as the Glade is around who needs it? No need to **** about with crappy commercial crap like Coldplay, just pure and banging electronic dance music.

My favourites were: the obvious 3 (the techno guys), System 7, whoever was on before Sasha, Scotch Egg, Squarepusher, Hallucinogen, Joti Kondri (or something like that), and various DJ's in the breaks tent that I have no idea who they were.

Only shit acts I witnessed were Two Lone Swordsmen, Phil Collins 3, and Sasha.

I cant wait for next year, and I really hope they get some more techno on, although I'd of gone and loved it even if there was none.

serox
27-07-2005, 02:32 PM
I went this year, was really looking forward to it. I couldn’t have hated it more after being there for 1 night. The sound systems were really bad, they had to turn them usic down and in the main tent the bass was turned off (wtf?) speedy j live would have been good otherwise. A set with no bass was just a joke. The outside area they had the speakers setup wrong so there was a really bad phaseing problems, why they didn’t fix it at all I dunno. I couldn’t stand being near the outside area as you heard 3 kicks each time. Weather was way to hot for me to be out in all day:( felt so rough cos of the heat, then at night time was freezing in my tent! Didn’t know the festival 'stops' at 4 and comes back on the next day at 1, wtf? Got so bored trying to find any kind of decent music:( that Shitmat is the biggest joke iv seen, but isnt even funny. Couldn’t wait to get back to london and sit down and have a cold beer.

Never going again.

Francisco Scaramanga
27-07-2005, 03:26 PM
I went this year, was really looking forward to it. I couldn’t have hated it more after being there for 1 night. The sound systems were really bad, they had to turn them usic down and in the main tent the bass was turned off (wtf?) speedy j live would have been good otherwise. A set with no bass was just a joke. The outside area they had the speakers setup wrong so there was a really bad phaseing problems, why they didn’t fix it at all I dunno. I couldn’t stand being near the outside area as you heard 3 kicks each time. Weather was way to hot for me to be out in all day:( felt so rough cos of the heat, then at night time was freezing in my tent! Didn’t know the festival 'stops' at 4 and comes back on the next day at 1, wtf? Got so bored trying to find any kind of decent music:( that Shitmat is the biggest joke iv seen, but isnt even funny. Couldn’t wait to get back to london and sit down and have a cold beer.

Never going again.

Jesus, sounds like you should stay mainly at home. I honestly cant beleive anyone who was there could moan about the weather, those were possibly the best 4 consecutive days of british weather that I have experienced in the 9 years I've been living here! Fair dos though, I like the heat, but of course some people cant stand it.

And although the bass may well have been turned down, I can assure you there was bass. I was shaking my butt to it front and center while Speedy J ripped it up. And Carl Craig, and Richie Hawtin, who were both awesome.

Still, if you are into techno, and nothing but purist techno, I suppose you might have found it boring. I loved it for the variety though, I dont normally listen to alot of the stuff I checked out there, but its a good laugh from time to time to branch out a bit. The phasing on that outdoor rig was really shit though, I dont understand how they could not have noticed that it sucked while they were setting it up. The trick was to get right in the middle, it was actually decent sound if you were a similar distance from eath stack.

Jay Pace
27-07-2005, 04:23 PM

Never going again.

Christ Almighty.

Well I have to say we'll miss your smiling little face.

The outside only sounded stupid if you couldn't figure out that you needed to stand in front of the speakers. Not behind them.
Providing you were in the middle of the 4 speaker surround setup it sounded ok.
Providing you like trance...

Best stay indoors mate, that way you can keep total control of your environment. The outside world is prone to weather.

serox
27-07-2005, 10:57 PM
got better things to spend my money on tbh.
every one i was with agreed the sound systems were pants.

i think there is more they could have done to make it better.
i like loads of music, just dont like psy trance, i thought there would be more to do there while the music was shite.

Jay Pace
28-07-2005, 09:38 AM
Agree with you on the systems. Its strange though, because they are funktion one cabs, which aren't exactly shoddy. A similar system gets used in the Glade at Glastonbury (and also doesn't sound that great).

Acoustics in a tent that slopes downhill with speakers at the bottom are always going to be a bit strange.

To be honest though, if you couldn't find any way to enjoy a glorious summer's day when you were surrounded by thousands of happy people, music and dancing, cafes, bars, fields, trees... I give up.

Maybe next time go with more friends. Cool beers, sunshine, beautiful surroundings, all the makings of a good weekend. Music is an added bonus under such circumstances.

herman
28-07-2005, 11:03 AM
Personal highlights - speedy j, carl craig, richie hawtin, dub side of the moon (dub pink floyd covers, ace) & Cassetteboy

Dead good la'

How did Cassetteboy play live ? I once read they just sat there and randomly read piece's from magazines to "recreate the cut and paste atmosphere" :lol:

Jay Pace
28-07-2005, 11:20 AM
They were hilarious.

All their stuff was prerecorded - if you haven't heard them check this out:

http://paradroid.com/junk/cassetteboy/cassetteboy%20-%20fly%20me%20to%20new%20york.mp3

A strange live performance. There's two of them, and they prance about in masks and wigs doing strange skits to accompany each piece.

Very, very entertaining.

Jack
11-08-2005, 10:14 AM
Agree with you on the systems. Its strange though, because they are funktion one cabs, which aren't exactly shoddy. A similar system gets used in the Glade at Glastonbury (and also doesn't sound that great).

Acoustics in a tent that slopes downhill with speakers at the bottom are always going to be a bit strange.

To be honest though, if you couldn't find any way to enjoy a glorious summer's day when you were surrounded by thousands of happy people, music and dancing, cafes, bars, fields, trees... I give up.

Maybe next time go with more friends. Cool beers, sunshine, beautiful surroundings, all the makings of a good weekend. Music is an added bonus under such circumstances.

The soundsystems were mainly Opus except Sancha Pancha or whatever its called was Funktion 1. Sound was ok generally on all except the outdoor main stage, i suspect they do the 4 stacks to have a general louder SPL across the floor but it does lead to phasing and delay probs. I suspect they are keeping to regulations as i saw engineers with SPL meters.

Was spot on stay in London Serox,

278d7e64a374de26f==