PDA

View Full Version : Think i'm startin to understand EQ'ing abit better

TechnoNRGKid
20-07-2005, 10:07 PM
Been messing with the Freq and width bands for low , mid, and high last night. Some one was speaking of Sloping, and now i think i understand it.
I noticed alot of better sound quality and things matching up to go together much better, even on my Sony MDR 600 headphones ( think it's MDR ).
It was actually fun. I see how the different bands work, and how you can make the high bandwith sorta merg towards the mids , then the lows, etc.

I'm redoing my old song Lazer Tag with a really hard drum kick, and also Intrude the Hard goa track.

Any EQ'ing tips are appreciated :)

Mirsha
20-07-2005, 10:09 PM
You might want to explain it a bit better so other folk can have a go at it

Starfuqer
20-07-2005, 11:07 PM
everyone should do Dave Moulton's Golden Ears exercises

Patrick DSP
20-07-2005, 11:22 PM
just remember eq'ing away what you don't want is better than boosting the frequencies that you do want.

dan the acid man
21-07-2005, 12:06 AM
just remember eq'ing away what you don't want is better than boosting the frequencies that you do want.

yes, every top producer will tell you this, good advice

Agility
21-07-2005, 01:15 PM
everyone should do Dave Moulton's Golden Ears exercises

What's that?

Patrick DSP
21-07-2005, 03:43 PM
http://www.moultonlabs.com/gold.htm

massplanck
21-07-2005, 06:48 PM
The 'quickest' way to correctly EQ your parts is to create a sharp 'notch' with the amplitude up full and then slide it up and down the freq spectrum of the sound. Wherever it sounds really nasty/or much louder than the rest of the spectrum... cut

Starfuqer
21-07-2005, 09:33 PM
The 'quickest' way to correctly EQ your parts is to create a sharp 'notch' with the amplitude up full and then slide it up and down the freq spectrum of the sound. Wherever it sounds really nasty/or much louder than the rest of the spectrum... cut

that might work if an instrument is playing by itself but if you have 20 channels of competing sounds , i don't think this is a sure fire way at all. There are no secret tricks. Just listen and practice enough times before you can hear it.

TechnoNRGKid
25-07-2005, 10:22 PM

yes, every top producer will tell you this, good advice

I highly believe because of someone on another board mentioned subtractive eqing is much better to do, also.

Mirsha, explain what?

Golden ears, hmm sounds good, i'm caching it for later right now. thx.

Mindful
26-07-2005, 09:45 PM

that might work if an instrument is playing by itself but if you have 20 channels of competing sounds , i don't think this is a sure fire way at all. There are no secret tricks. Just listen and practice enough times before you can hear it.

It should work both ways realy and would probably be of more use with everything(or a few things)playing rather than on solo.

278d7e64a374de26f==