PDA

View Full Version : Producers with exceptional mixdowns - to use as a reference

loopdon
25-07-2005, 11:16 PM
as said in the subject, i would like to know what tunes you use as a reference point?!

if possible, could anyone upload some waves (even if only snippets), perhaps?

thanks in advance!!! this is def. stuff. we have to discuss, imo.

thx martin :twisted:

ps: maybe people like dirty_bass etc. could drop a statement on this topic?? :rambo:

dirty_bass
26-07-2005, 12:12 AM
Hmmm, I don`t really use anything as a reference per se.
I guess when I am looking to improve my mixes I never use techno as a reference.
Generally I look at big time studio productions for production insights.
NIN stuff is great, because it contains masses of big sounds all crammed into a track, just like techno.
Also the new massive attack album I sometimes listen to, when working out how to get space and depth into a mix.

FILTERZ
26-07-2005, 11:05 AM
leftfield allways sounds lovely to me , a little to clean though

RDR
26-07-2005, 11:27 AM
A collection of umek tunes.
Lots of my CD collection.
Dont have just one track i reference, have many..

how useless am i? :oops:

TechMouse
26-07-2005, 11:35 AM
I suppose it's always better to start off clean and get dirty though, as you can't take dirt back.

TechMouse
26-07-2005, 12:01 PM
Well yeah , sort of but if i have some audio with loads of artifacts or aliasing on it and it adds to the groove thats fine with me , I tend to start dirty and get filthy . I am a bit bored of how clever and futuristic and over programmed stuff is today . I like it nice and fat sounding and full of raw power.

I have dirt and filth in my soul so i cant help it coming out in my tunes .
Obviously by dirt and filth i dont mean .......sounding shit.

Totally agree actually, I don't know where the last statement came from!

jesus
26-07-2005, 12:05 PM
ok as im nice, here's a non mastered mixdown http://s37.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=36YJ9G2BM9UME1ZJQ17X1HXI7D . lots of mastereing dudes were raving that this is how a perfect mixdown should sound, not tehcno but you get the picture.

FILTERZ
26-07-2005, 12:07 PM
I suppose it's always better to start off clean and get dirty though, as you can't take dirt back.

Well yeah , sort of but if i have some audio with loads of artifacts or aliasing on it and it adds to the groove thats fine with me , I tend to start dirty and get filthy . I am a bit bored of how clever and futuristic and over programmed stuff is today . I like it nice and fat sounding and full of raw power.

I have dirt and filth in my soul so i cant help it coming out in my tunes .
Obviously by dirt and filth i dont mean .......sounding shit.

loopdon
26-07-2005, 02:51 PM
ok as im nice, here's a non mastered mixdown http://s37.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=36YJ9G2BM9UME1ZJQ17X1HXI7D . lots of mastereing dudes were raving that this is how a perfect mixdown should sound, not tehcno but you get the picture.

thanks, mate. great!!

loopdon
26-07-2005, 02:52 PM

didn't you have the recycled loops cd? would be nice if you could put up a little *.wav or two from that one! tell me what you want in exchange :rambo:

loopdon
26-07-2005, 02:53 PM
thanks to everyone - keep it coming!!

RDR
26-07-2005, 04:32 PM

didn't you have the recycled loops cd? would be nice if you could put up a little *.wav or two from that one! tell me what you want in exchange :rambo:

Will do ASAP chief.

massplanck
26-07-2005, 06:00 PM
Good Topic.

It sort of changes with the song though i suppose but at the moment im using Front Line Assembly - some of the music can be gack but the way they pan & layer sounds as well as sound of the overall mix appeals to me and my music. Sort of pure midi sequencing from the late 80's but with a tough edge.

dan the acid man
26-07-2005, 06:51 PM

i wouldnt do that here

loopdon
26-07-2005, 09:27 PM

i wouldnt do that here

hmm, really didn't think of it that way, tbh. actually this wasn't intended to be piracy of any kind. sorry if that came over wrong. :oops:

278d7e64a374de26f==