PDA

View Full Version : Wonky electro - 'Bash street' - Feedback please!

robin m
26-07-2005, 11:33 PM
Any feedback on this would be great - a lot of mastering and suchlike to go as per usual but I'm not entirely convinced about the whole feel of the track... instead of nicely wonky it just sounds kind of aimless in places :eh: - opinions please! ;)

http://uk.f2.pg.briefcase.yahoo.com/bc/munkrat/vwp2?.tok=bce6rsVB347T3Oyk&.dir=/Tunes&.dnm=Robin+M+-+Bash+street.mp3&.src=bc

BRADLEE
27-07-2005, 12:49 AM
I'm getting access denied Rob. PErhaps you can put it thru yousendit or megaupload? I don't know if it's just my firewall or what though...

robin m
27-07-2005, 07:48 AM
Ooops... not sure what's going on there!

This link should work as an alternative then:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=358DOWO5

Cheers for letting me know messanger ;)

TechMouse
27-07-2005, 10:27 AM
First link works fine for me... ;)

Anyway, as usual Robin - inspired stuff.
More originality in 5 minutes than some people achieve ever.

Really digging the 8-bit vibe.

Lacks pace a bit? Would suit my ears a bit better if it felt faster...

Could possibly sound good with a bit of shuffle on it?

I'd bring out some amp simulation / distortion on some of those synth lines to dirt them up a bit.

I'm being hyper critical here, obviously ;)

Great stuff.

BRADLEE
27-07-2005, 05:31 PM
Yeah Rob,

That is for sure some cool Video Game sounding glitchiness in there. Seems like there is soem SIDSTATION goodness going on in there for sure as well. As Techmouse said, tons of originality going on in this one.

Although personally I don't know if I would consider this to be Electro. Maybe I just have a differant idea of what Electro sounds like, but I think this more along the lines of some wikked 8 Bit techno.

Since it kind of has that video game sound to it, maybe you could add some famous Video Game samples in it. Not whole lot to the point it's cheesy, but just some really cool stuff to make it even more memorable.

BTW, I really like the use of Guitar Amp distortion, that was a well nice addition.

Sounds quality and mix down sound good to me as well, but I am only in headphones and not exactly a pro at mastering myself. So we'll let the sound quality control people handle that department.

:clap:

robin m
27-07-2005, 11:11 PM
Hey, cheers for the comments... much appreciated. There's no SIDSTATION in there, I'd never heard of it messanger but I've looked it up and it looks like good fun to mess about with at some point! The only synth going is the 3xosc basic one that comes with fruity 3 - I know it's a bit antiquated but you can still get some nice sounds out of it.

The video game sounds is a great idea, I'll have to go look through some C64 games or something to see if I remember find something suitable to nick ;)

Anyway, what are you doing reviewing my track anyway Brad (not that I'm complaining)!? Go change some diapers or something! :lol:

(a bit more finished and Techmouse-friendly speed version here btw: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=24LYQO1H)

BRADLEE
27-07-2005, 11:20 PM
Hey, cheers for the comments... much appreciated. There's no SIDSTATION in there, I'd never heard of it messanger but I've looked it up and it looks like good fun to mess about with at some point! The only synth going is the 3xosc basic one that comes with fruity 3 - I know it's a bit antiquated but you can still get some nice sounds out of it.

The video game sounds is a great idea, I'll have to go look through some C64 games or something to see if I remember find something suitable to nick

Anyway, what are you doing reviewing my track anyway Brad (not that I'm complaining)!? Go change some diapers or something!

Well I have all of the sidstation samples if you want them Rob. As for why I am reviewing the tune, I am at work. Music gives me something other than my norm why I am here. Since I'm here 10 hours a day roughly, I have pleanty of tiem to listen and get my work done. Believe me I'll be changing enough diapers when I get home. :lol:

PM me and I'll toss you that sample pack ;)

Oh and the C64 sounds were based on the sidstation I do believe. I also think it was Texas Instruments who invented the original chipset.

xfive
27-07-2005, 11:40 PM
Definetly wonky shit hahah
I think the sound quality is good, but the main synth sounds are overpowering the percussion a bit
Bass could go a tad deeper too

Cool tho ;)

BRADLEE
27-07-2005, 11:49 PM
Here is that link for you and anyone else who wants it homie....

http://iluvtekno.com/sidstation.rar

TechMouse
28-07-2005, 09:46 AM
Oh and the C64 sounds were based on the sidstation I do believe. I also think it was Texas Instruments who invented the original chipset.
The SID chip is the audio microchip that was used in the C64 (and, indeed, it's predecessor the Vic 20).

The SIDStation is a modern synthesizer which uses the SID chip as it's sound source.

That second link doesn't work anymore, by the way Robin. ;)

TechMouse
28-07-2005, 09:47 AM
Here is that link for you and anyone else who wants it homie....

http://iluvtekno.com/sidstation.rar
LEGEND.

Mindful
31-07-2005, 03:36 PM
cant find the link :cry:

Aratron
01-09-2005, 08:33 PM
robin this is great !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock:
inspired stuff !
feel free to post me a cd !!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Mindful
01-09-2005, 10:48 PM
Sos batman but thats nither here or their :lol:

Is it just me being stupid but i cant get the link to work

robin m
01-09-2005, 11:59 PM
robin this is great !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock:
inspired stuff !
feel free to post me a cd !!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Bloody hell! :oops:

Cheers mate, really nice to hear, though I'm inclined to suspect you downloaded dirtybass or someone's latest as well and just got them muddled up ;)

Seeing as how Mindful's been kind enough to mention it twice here's a new link to the tune: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=03DTK51Q

Cheers for feedback too xfive, hopefully I'll get round to going back & finishing it off someday...

TechMouse
02-09-2005, 11:28 AM
Sooner or later, Robin, you're going to have to accept that you make good tunes - and it's not just me blowing sunshine up your ass.

Mirsha
02-09-2005, 10:41 PM
Whops just found this on my hd and thought I should leave feedback.

SOunds pretty decent to my ears, quite pounding and has that wonky synth rubbing yuo up the wrong way as well as not being afriad to **** with teh sound to shunt somethign else in your ears for a bit of a break. The break goes on slighty too long for my taste though.

It's defianltey the sort of thing I'd consider buying if I came across randomly on some record whilst browsing online.

Mindful
03-09-2005, 02:04 PM
this is brillient Robin not what I was expecting good production great track,Im with Mirsha and would deffo buy this if I came accross it out record shopping :clap: :clap:

Aratron
03-09-2005, 04:13 PM
yeah robin. you've met me b4 you know im not the most sociable person in the world but if i say summat is really good then it really mean it.
im not sure if its wonky or wot ( cos im into acid techno !), i got a lot of acidic vibes out of it.
i wouldnt worry about any aspect of it , its original , fresh and just what can i say, if it was on vinyl people would buy it.
well done mate

robin m
03-09-2005, 07:54 PM
Cheers for the feedback peeps - very much appreciated.

Best get crackin on some more then! :rambo:

~cheeky~
03-09-2005, 08:59 PM
i havent heard anything like that before.
different to what im used to thats for sure.

robin m
04-09-2005, 04:49 AM
i havent heard anything like that before.
different to what im used to thats for sure.

:hmm:

Seeing as how it's you cheeky I'll take that as a compliment :lol:

Cheers for giving it a listen! :dance:

conflict
04-09-2005, 09:39 AM
pretty good mate

not my style but i can definately see the appeal

~cheeky~
04-09-2005, 10:35 AM
[quote=~cheeky~]

:hmm:

Seeing as how it's you cheeky I'll take that as a compliment :lol:

Cheers for giving it a listen! :dance:

i was gonna have another listen but it wont let me download it again.
the only electro ive heard is what a lad called tommy four seven plays in london at an afterparty i go to.
too slow for me but i put up with it cus tommy is :love: :lol:

this wonky tune is nout like what he plays so im confused :oops: :doh:

Aratron
09-09-2005, 07:43 PM
any progress on your next track yet mate?

Aratron
17-09-2005, 08:37 PM
still think this is great.

if anyones reading this who hasn't listened to this , what are you waiting for ?

this should be on vinyl

dan the acid man
17-09-2005, 10:10 PM
great stuff, really fresh and different, the only gripe ive got is the overall sound is lacking dynamics a little, its a bit flat sounding.

but having a play with compression would sort that out.

i cant get over how great the structure of this is :cool:

The Divide
17-09-2005, 10:59 PM
love the structure and ideas, the mix needs a lot of work tho. Especially the hats as they sounded a bit too cold and harsh. I would comment more on it but i dont know where i downloaded it to :doh: and the links dead

dan the acid man
18-09-2005, 01:34 AM
love the structure and ideas, the mix needs a lot of work tho. Especially the hats as they sounded a bit too cold and harsh. I would comment more on it but i dont know where i downloaded it to :doh: and the links dead

the first link worked for me

278d7e64a374de26f==