PDA

View Full Version : Ableton or CubaseSX?

tekboi
27-07-2005, 03:52 AM
Which should I choose? I am a beginner in production and so far have been given more solid recommendations for ableton due to being more user friendly.

???

Craig McW
27-07-2005, 08:00 AM
Dude, try both.... see which suits you. I'm finding that I use Ableton sometimes, and cubase others.... both with Reason rewired and using VSTs etc.

Don't limit yourself.

RDR
27-07-2005, 08:47 AM
SX.

You need that learning curve.

TechMouse
27-07-2005, 10:21 AM
SX.

Agreed...

Ableton is very good for quickly putting stuff together, but the knowledge gained from getting to grips with Cubase (or Logic, or Sonar, or any other "traditional" sequencer) will be invaluable.

zaalmoetlos
27-07-2005, 01:48 PM
i prefer ableton cause cubase is too technical you have to open hundreds of screens which compromises your creativity. Cubase is better for mixdowns though so i'd say use both ableton to create and cubase/logic to do mixdowns

UngratefulNinja
27-07-2005, 02:15 PM
Honestly, everyone here is going to give you a different answer.

I started with Reason, only because at the time it was the only thing available to me. You may currently only have Ableton and Cubase at your disposal.

Play with both, see which one you like better.

Don't listen to people who say bla bla is better or such and such is the dogs bollocks. Where there is a will there is a way, and people have made insane music on every program, from Fruity to Pro Tools.

Just do what feels comfortable :)

BloodStar
27-07-2005, 02:26 PM
i prefer ableton cause cubase is too technical you have to open hundreds of screens which compromises your creativity. Cubase is better for mixdowns though so i'd say use both ableton to create and cubase/logic to do mixdowns

don't agree, here. i'm working several years with Cubase and had never seen hundreds of screens, you're talking about.. don't believe to first feeling,,it's usualy changes very soon,imo.what looks confusing on first view,can be very usefful and comf. after while.

stjohn
27-07-2005, 02:52 PM
i like the way cubase is split up..... chopping from screen to screen can be easy enough with quickkeys and shortcuts. i find ableton to be a bit cramped at times!!!

tekboi
27-07-2005, 04:07 PM
The thing is when you are looking on such a LOW budget it sort of makes things hard for me, in this case I see Ableton the better choice due to being cheaper than SX and also having the capability of using it for DJ purposes in the future. So this is why my budget is confusing me, I dont want to make the wrong decision and I know I can trust the recommendations from Blackout. I am currently going through the Ableton 5 demo and when I am done I shall give SX a shot and choose from there I guess.

Cheers!

Jay Pace
28-07-2005, 11:41 AM
I'd try using a few different things.

I use cubase SX beacause it is powerful. You should really get a grounding in a sequencer package, sooner or later you are going to want to use one.

I also use Reason, and very occasionally Ableton because they are intuitive and I can get creative results very quickly.

Once I have creative ideas I move back to Cubase and go to work on the sounds, the mixdown and mastering.

Find what works best for you. But I would recommend you get to grips with Cubase whatever you choose.

g
28-07-2005, 05:46 PM
SX.

Agreed...

Ableton is very good for quickly putting stuff together, but the knowledge gained from getting to grips with Cubase (or Logic, or Sonar, or any other "traditional" sequencer) will be invaluable.
then you haven't gotten very deeply into Ableton (understandably so). it's as capable as as deep as any of the 'traditional' sequencers, it's just frankly not so confusing and (to my way of thinking) works in a far more logical manner. this is after years of using Logic and Cubase. i'll never go back.

Ritzi Lee
28-07-2005, 06:45 PM
SX.

I don't agree with that learning curve.
Because the learning proces is something on an individual level.

Some like to read books.
Some like to just try out things.
And most sequence production software have something educational nowadays.

RDR
29-07-2005, 03:50 PM
SX.

Some like to read books.

He's learning a sequencer, and of course his curve his individual, he has a preferred learning style, we all do. It's exceptionally important to know how a sequencer in this style functions because if he wants to be able to port his experiences across to another platform its going to be much easier in the long run.

And as for the defence of ableton.. i sold some kit to get it cos its ace. I dont think either me or TM were slating it dudes... We were just saying that SX is probably a slightly better bet as an intrduction to the VST environment.

comments ritizi?

Ritzi Lee
29-07-2005, 06:51 PM
SX.

Some like to read books.

He's learning a sequencer, and of course his curve his individual, he has a preferred learning style, we all do. It's exceptionally important to know how a sequencer in this style functions because if he wants to be able to port his experiences across to another platform its going to be much easier in the long run.

And as for the defence of ableton.. i sold some kit to get it cos its ace. I dont think either me or TM were slating it dudes... We were just saying that SX is probably a slightly better bet as an intrduction to the VST environment.

comments ritizi?

Yeah maybe. :)

I didn't really mention to explicitly make a choice between Ableton or Cubase. A couple of years ago there was a same kind of discussions between making a choice for Cubase or Logic Audio pro. The Logic users where introduced with Logic because of the incredible ease of use with Midi hardware and musical expression. Cubase users where charmed with the easy way of programming automation with EQ and VST plugins...

I've banned Cubase because of the most inefficient way it deals with my processor power. Well, on the other hand it is a great way to learn how to sequence Midi tracks. But all of this I can also apply with Ableton Live. And with all experience from the first versions of Rebirth, Reason, Fruityloops, and previous Ableton Live versions, I'm hooked with Ableton forever. (for now)

My advice would be to compare as much different sequence systems on the market as possible: Cubase, Nuendo, Cakewalk, Sonar, Ableton Live, Logic, Fruityloops, Reason.... Just explore and eventually you will find your own way how to make great tracks.

Mindful
29-07-2005, 09:56 PM
Use em both if you have access to them both.

mr acid
29-07-2005, 10:10 PM
Use em both if you have access to them both.

I completely agree with u.

The best thing to do might be trying 2 or 3 apps, and then try to find the one that suits !

Altough people tend to say Ableton's software is hard to work with i don't agree. In my opinion it's just a different concept of a sequencer!

Cheers

eyes without a face
30-07-2005, 10:19 AM
im an avid Fruity Studio user but over the past few weeks ive been starting to get my head around SX, got Logic too but struggling with it i admit, but im forcing myself to get my head around both programs, i enjoy learning new programs and im finding SX particulary nice to use, feels comfortable and i can see myself switching over to it completely by the end of the year

RDR
30-07-2005, 11:44 AM
im an avid Fruity Studio user but over the past few weeks ive been starting to get my head around SX, got Logic too but struggling with it i admit, but im forcing myself to get my head around both programs, i enjoy learning new programs and im finding SX particulary nice to use, feels comfortable and i can see myself switching over to it completely by the end of the year

Hehe, im on SX3 with the O1X, studio connections initiative, total recall of my mixer from with cubase, along with management of Fx etc...

yuk yuk...

eyes without a face
30-07-2005, 04:32 PM
congratulations :lol:

TechnoNRGKid
08-08-2005, 04:10 PM
SX.

Some like to read books.

comments ritizi?

Yeah maybe. :)

I didn't really mention to explicitly make a choice between Ableton or Cubase. A couple of years ago there was a same kind of discussions between making a choice for Cubase or Logic Audio pro. The Logic users where introduced with Logic because of the incredible ease of use with Midi hardware and musical expression. Cubase users where charmed with the easy way of programming automation with EQ and VST plugins...

I've banned Cubase because of the most inefficient way it deals with my processor power.

Hmm?
what do you mean?
2 processors or something?

Cubase sx 3.0 is 64bit compatible, or i think is 64Bit for 64 bit processors now.Well quote from kvr..

64-Bit compatible with upcoming Windows XP 64-Bit Edition; supports up to 4 GB of RAM.

tekboi
09-08-2005, 03:09 AM
The ableton offer guys, when does it end?

Is the offer something like if I buy Ableton Live 4 I get the upgrade to 5 for free or something?

sash
09-08-2005, 10:14 AM
get music 2000 on da playstation 1. :)
Dude honestly all the programs u ask about r excellent. U can't loose no matter what u choose. They're all professional products.

It's like askin "what car should i drive to work today? ferrari F1, Mclaren F1, Williams F1 or a Renault F1?" :)

278d7e64a374de26f==