PDA

View Full Version : roland MC303...useful?

findthesolution
01-08-2005, 06:52 AM
Would a roland MC303 be of much use if I'm using software such as reason and ableton for my production? I came up on one for $75 and im a bit indecisive as to whether or not to pick it up. any of you guys ever use one?

messyfuture
01-08-2005, 08:01 AM
http://www.blackoutaudio.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=36957

:lol: :lol: :lol:

acidsaturation
01-08-2005, 10:59 AM
It buy one at that price - it's peanuts.

But if yr using mainly software you may not use it - the sounds are um... limited shall we say - I like it for the sequencer - which is easy to use, though low on memory.

JohnnySideways
01-08-2005, 12:45 PM
you cud use it as a midi controller for use with ableton or reason

tocsin
01-08-2005, 06:00 PM
Would a roland MC303 be of much use if I'm using software such as reason and ableton for my production? I came up on one for $75 and im a bit indecisive as to whether or not to pick it up. any of you guys ever use one?

You might have a use for it. While I've used it more for it's sequencer, I still do occassionally use it for some percussive sounds. If you're using the thing with Cubase, you can use it as a 16 channel sound module. However, you'll never use close to that many midi channels as most of the sounds on it are quite shit.

acidsaturation
02-08-2005, 01:38 PM
you cud use it as a midi controller for use with ableton or reason

Only note sequences tho - the Knobs dont transmit midi!

dirty_bass
02-08-2005, 02:00 PM
Essentially it`s a sack of crap.

massplanck
02-08-2005, 02:24 PM
dont be ****ing idiots. everything is usefull

buy a boss distortion pedal and always run it through that.

TechMouse
02-08-2005, 02:36 PM
dont be **** idiots. everything is usefull

:clap:

dirty_bass
02-08-2005, 03:11 PM

Haha, distort the crap out of it.
Well, it could only be you that made that suggestion.

That can be applied to anything.
Essentially it`s a toy machine, and ok for mucking about, but really, it`s not worthwhile.
Get some good software and a controller.

massplanck
02-08-2005, 03:32 PM
Haha, distort the crap out of it.
Well, it could only be you that made that suggestion.

:rambo:

That can be applied to anything.
Essentially it`s a toy machine, and ok for mucking about, but really, it`s not worthwhile.
Get some good software and a controller.

Its is.. but for 75 dollars its a bargain. Especially if you get that distortion pedal .

Francisco Scaramanga
02-08-2005, 06:37 PM
its a hell of a bargain at 75 bucks, definately buy it and have a go, and even if you decide its shit, you can easily sell it and get back the $75, if not turn a profit.

What about wiring it up with ableton, not to control it, but to run in time with it, so you can get some live beats and knob twiddling going over the laptop?

acidsaturation
03-08-2005, 09:16 AM

A lot of people started out with one...

eyes without a face
03-08-2005, 09:43 AM
well what people tend to forget is that computers can out process pretty much most bits of kit these days and i really would not spend a penny on one of those little groovebox's ive used them and i really wouldnt take usage as far as mucking about with it, especially when i can do everything it can do plus a hundred things more just with my computer and a controller

tocsin
03-08-2005, 04:34 PM

Some of the percussion sounds are quite dirty and raw when used in that manner. Doesn't sound bad at all.

massplanck
03-08-2005, 06:48 PM

Some of the percussion sounds are quite dirty and raw when used in that manner. Doesn't sound bad at all.

It sounds deadly through one. trust me. **** all the hardware haters. :lol:

tocsin
05-08-2005, 05:20 PM
I've done a few lives PAs where a good bulk of the beats and sounds were an MC-303 run through a Boss distortion pedal. More noisey experimental sets though.

dirty_bass
06-08-2005, 12:12 AM

It sounds deadly through one. trust me. **** all the hardware haters. :lol:

**** all crap hardware.
If it`s a microchip in a box, then why bother?

JohnnySideways
08-08-2005, 12:01 PM

this is wot i do for live p.a's...always thro distortion...youre drums will ave to come off something else tho...coz it can get pretty messy otherwise

TechMouse
08-08-2005, 12:04 PM
I would argue the toss that if you can't get a good sound out of something then you're not trying hard / abusing it enough.

JohnnySideways
08-08-2005, 12:12 PM
I would argue the toss that if you can't get a good sound out of something then you're not trying hard / abusing it enough.

yup

dirty_bass
08-08-2005, 05:36 PM
True

slavestudios
08-08-2005, 09:21 PM
you can point a lot of criticisms at MC303s, but i tell you this...

i used 2 for years & years. ive done live sets with only 2 mcs & wrecked clubs.. and they DO NOT CRASH.... unlike laptops ;)

the midi timing is bang on & the programming is a doddle to knockup drumloops.

i have also used them on the fourth channel over 3 dex.

also great as a drumachine. imo

curly
08-08-2005, 09:52 PM
Used to use one of these as a drum machine over descks, can adjust bpm in 0.1 increments on the fly, this fits in well with a dj set, might not sound that good on it's own but adds interest. The drums fit better with some of the older acid techno.

278d7e64a374de26f==