PDA

View Full Version : Record Shopping.

MARKEG
26-06-2003, 10:04 PM
Problem is, these days anyone can go on the net and shop for vinyl. We all know tuneinn, we all know webrecords.

It's time to go back to basics. It's time to find the shops which provide something not many other ppl can get. Does anyone have any ideas/pointers? Forget the web. I'm talking about serious places to find exclusive vinyl.

:?:

RCDocherty
26-06-2003, 10:40 PM
Carbon records in Glasgow seems to be the place. The majority is house/down tempo sort of stuff but they do have small techno section & almost every record seems to stand out, if you know what I mean.

Adverse
26-06-2003, 10:41 PM
www.gemm.com lol

death on a stick
27-06-2003, 10:38 AM
www.wallysgrooveworld.com

www.innercity.co.uk

www.gemm.com

www.boomkat.com

www.hedonizm.demon.co.uk (you need to call Mark to check what they have in as the site ain't up to date - but he is very good with stock).

www.smallfish.co.uk

T
27-06-2003, 10:49 AM
In London I use, Access all areas (trakheadz) Very helpful as well, Eukatech, Banging tunes, selectadisc, loadsa music exchanges great for picking up a bargain new or old, Sister ray. Addresses available on the net & limited web service for some, but much more available if you go their yourself.

serox
27-06-2003, 11:32 AM
i got a few plots. i find real gems there, old and new. loads of white labels.

but why would i ruin it for myself ;) im sure you get sent too manye records to listen too?

ampassasinbirmingham
27-06-2003, 11:34 AM
music exchanges r wiked. My friend got red 2 for £3. Strings of life,

Plastikman- Sheet One(limited edition picture discs)(1993)- £15:):)

We also go to integrale musique. Its on an industrial estate and there is a room with crates upon crates of vinyl:):)

T
27-06-2003, 11:58 AM
music exchanges r wiked. My friend got red 2 for £3. Strings of life,

Plastikman- Sheet One(limited edition picture discs)(1993)- £15:):)

We also go to integrale musique. Its on an industrial estate and there is a room with crates upon crates of vinyl:):)

you know it, round my way they have bargain techno section, shit loads of new promos, records withpout proper sleeves etc, all go for a £1, I've picked up some seriously good music from their for cheaper than a half pint, and the rest of the techno is cheap, varied and you get some proper old classics. They cover all forms from detroit stuff through to the swedish sound to surgeon to liberators etc etc etc. For brand spanking new releases i tend to go to other places but I spend a lot of time in music exchanges.

Patrick
27-06-2003, 12:35 PM
For the 2nd time today I am recommending this shop. Covert records in Brighton. Sound people who actually have memories, so when you go back to see them again they recommend stuff you will probably want to buy.
They're on-line now as well at
http://www.covert.uk.com

And I can't say enough good things about Innercity. Paul is a top bloke who always seems to recommend a couple of other gems whenever I phone in an order.

And Avid records for 2nd hand stuff of all genres. They've got a couple of stores around the country and now have a decent mailorder service as well. Can't find the url at the minute, but I'll post it when I find it.

serox
27-06-2003, 02:16 PM
£1 for musik exchange is alot

can buy records thei for 50p i got loads of marks stuff there for 50p where in other shops they are £6 !!

also found loads of old R+S there too. forget paying laods for records. ill wait a few more months untill a new sound is made.

Paul Nisbet
29-06-2003, 09:35 PM
i use 23rd precinct in glasgow now... mate of mine works there and its wicked. Best record store ive used.... i live in edinburgh and imo they are all pap in edin...

eyes without a face
29-06-2003, 09:51 PM
Eastern Bloc in Manchester in my preffered shop, its just packed with techno, and the guys behind the counter and Mark Turner and the legend that is John Berry. they know their stuff.

liverpool is shit really for record shopping, Xfade is new but not my sorta record shop, its shit bright, and hardly any decent underground stuff, just technos top 10 really. 3beat is shite. The best record shop in Liverpool is Probe, about as underground as it gets around these parts

crime
30-06-2003, 10:22 AM
Does that mean everyone will know all the places that no-one knew about, and can all get all the records no-one else can get? Sorry, fair play and that, just found the concept quite amusing... I'm now getting to the stage where I'm stopping taking dj bookings just to play live, as it's the only way to sound fresh.....

death on a stick
30-06-2003, 12:37 PM
Does that mean everyone will know all the places that no-one knew about, and can all get all the records no-one else can get?
it still takes good taste and refinement to buy the good stuff that's doing it, wherever you are, whenever it's from. you could be surrounded by gems but still walk out with the latest tripe if you're that way inclined. or the old tripe.

I'm now getting to the stage where I'm stopping taking dj bookings just to play live, as it's the only way to sound fresh.....
see above.

BritishMurderBoy
30-06-2003, 01:03 PM
£1 for musik exchange is alot

can buy records thei for 50p i got loads of marks stuff there for 50p where in other shops they are £6 !!

also found loads of old R+S there too. forget paying laods for records. ill wait a few more months untill a new sound is made.

at the music exchange in brum the man knows what he is on about so finding anything for 50p worth having is wish full thinking..

but as vinyl shopping goes visiting integrale music was a nice tripout, there was just piles of the stuff littering the place -

BritishMurderBoy
30-06-2003, 01:06 PM
raiding old peoples vinyl collection is also good... i dont want to sound to agesit as a lot of you are a fair bit older than me but, spending an hour in my dads atic and i found:

krawtwerk - 'autobahn' and 'trans europe express' all original press bought in germany!

softcell -'tainted love'

and a load of hip hop classic ranging from 'sugahill gang' to 'sounds of new york'

278d7e64a374de26f==