PDA

View Full Version : Club night questions

dirty_bass
09-08-2005, 01:37 AM
So, I`ve been meeting up with the collective and we`ve been bashing heads working out the autumn club arrangements, and we are looking to take a new approach.

Obviously we are going to have a techno room at the night club, but we are thinking of having the focus on a live electronics room.
The room will be live electronic music all night, not just techno, but progressive electronics. It`s an attempt to get people in that want to here live music, but have got dissaffected with the whole DJ scene.
Also the 3rd room we are still debating over.

I`m thinking breaks, from a very wide viewpoint. ie not having the same beats all night, some dub, some DnB, some new skool, some broken beat etc.

Anyone have any opinions here?
What would you like to see?

Also if anyone knows any electronic acts of any type, please get them in touch with me.

The Overfiend
09-08-2005, 02:18 AM
Live band doing Hip Hop
Will draw crowd and many hip hop heads are closet house/techno heads.

dirty_bass
09-08-2005, 02:25 AM
Live band doing Hip Hop
Will draw crowd and many hip hop heads are closet house/techno heads.

If it`s progressive and electronic then yes, I would be interested.

The Overfiend
09-08-2005, 02:57 AM
Make the beat meister timbalandish, or live hip hop pa's which are done frequently

dirty_bass
09-08-2005, 05:18 AM
Make the beat meister timbalandish, or live hip hop pa's which are done frequently
well the doors would be open to any electronic music

djfurness
09-08-2005, 09:47 AM
have a mixed breakcore/electronics room....the scenes are that closely tied.....
and just book the whole of planet mu's roster :lol:
a mixed dnb/breaks room sounds :clap: as well

RDR
09-08-2005, 10:13 AM
Happy hardcore! Get the kids involved.

*snigger*

But seriously, perhaps the broken beat idea would be cool, I would also like to see live hip hop bands in. They always draw a crowd and are great to listen to.

There are many bands out there who play live with electronics of all sorts, it would be nice to see them given a forum to play on.

TechMouse
09-08-2005, 10:23 AM
Get in some Grime / Dubstep.

The new Vex'd LP is awesome - though I have no idea if they do live sets.

Francisco Scaramanga
09-08-2005, 12:16 PM
Just be sure the bands you get on are actually good at playing instruments and not just some DJ's who got bored with decks so took up guitars.

I have heard quite a lot of this recently, former dance artists trying to be a band, and doing it REALLY badly.

They get away with it all to easily as well, I guess maybe cause the crowds have never really listened to a band before so dont know the difference between a good one or a bad one. Sort of like how a dance music virgin might not notice much difference between tiesto and derrick may.

TechMouse
09-08-2005, 12:22 PM
Get The Bays to play, actually. They rock.

dirty_bass
09-08-2005, 02:28 PM
Well, all bands need to submit a demo, and due to the sheer risk involved, we won`t be booking huge names, this is an entirely new project, and my last ever go at trying to refresh the scene in london. We have good finances but quite simply we can`t throw loads of money at the acts, because I don`t think the return will be reflected in the door takings. This is all about promoting the scene and building something new for eveyone, I`m a bit scared, but I hope it will work.

Anyone know any places where we can advertise for live electronic acts (no guitars or that)

davethedrummer
09-08-2005, 02:47 PM
simon from crystal distortion recommended a band called
" total silence " or something like that
they're a live drum and bass outfit , sound interesting?

schlongfingers
09-08-2005, 03:23 PM
Dead Silence Syndicate I reckon he means - they are wicked

schlongfingers
09-08-2005, 03:24 PM
http://www.deadsilence.co.uk/dssb.html

dirty_bass
09-08-2005, 04:29 PM
sounds really good, I`ll be in touch with em, the audio is great.
I`m still a little retiscent about DnB as my experience of it in London, is that although I love the music, I want to keep the rude boys well away from it. But as we won`t be full on DnB that shouldn`t be a problem.
I am looking for live Digital Dub as well, if anyone knows of any

The Overfiend
09-08-2005, 09:07 PM
If I would have moved out there last year I would have been proper security for the rude ones eh?

massplanck
09-08-2005, 09:42 PM

:love: nice thinking.

massplanck
09-08-2005, 09:43 PM
Maybe we could dig up King Tubby?

xfive
09-08-2005, 11:47 PM
Maybe we could dig up King Tubby?

And do what?
Make spring reverb coils out of his hair?

:lol: :lol:

massplanck
09-08-2005, 11:49 PM
And do what?
Make spring reverb coils out of his hair?

:lol: :lol:#

:twisted: I pissed my self at that one :lol:

davethedrummer
10-08-2005, 12:57 AM
I`m still a little retiscent about DnB as my experience of it in London, is that although I love the music, I want to keep the rude boys well away from it. But as we won`t be full on DnB that shouldn`t be a problem.

erm

what about digi dub?
you remember lee and the lsd diesel posse
are they still going?

Tyrisia
10-08-2005, 01:23 AM
u should definitely have a room totally dedicated to spoon playing, lotsa mic's and a 70k rig.

dirty_bass
10-08-2005, 01:24 AM

erm

what about digi dub?
you remember lee and the lsd diesel posse
are they still going?

Bloody hell.
Maybe.
I think Brad Stonka might be in touch with them.
Good call, I`ll find out.

davethedrummer
10-08-2005, 02:06 AM
u should definitely have a room totally dedicated to spoon playing, lotsa mic's and a 70k rig.

who me personally?
i don't know much about spoons but since you mention it.......

pedrod
10-08-2005, 02:20 AM

who me personally?

this may help

http://www.answers.com/topic/spoon

Tyrisia
10-08-2005, 09:27 AM

who me personally?

no not u personally, i just drew a parallel between the relentlessness of modern techno and the relentlessness of a well mic'd set of spoons on a 70k rig :lol:

dirty_bass
23-08-2005, 03:44 AM
Getting back to positivity.
We are really striving to beat some life back into the scene with these events, but I would like more opinions as to what you think would make a good techno and progressive music based night.
Anyone have any suggestions or things that you would like to see or hear at an event?

dan the acid man
23-08-2005, 10:14 AM
We are really striving to beat some life back into the scene with these events, but I would like more opinions as to what you think would make a good techno and progressive music based night.
Anyone have any suggestions or things that you would like to see or hear at an event?

as for seeing, some nice vj'ing always adds nice atmosphere to a club, but im sure thats already part of your plans

RDR
23-08-2005, 10:42 AM

as for seeing, some nice vj'ing always adds nice atmosphere to a club, but im sure thats already part of your plans

If you need one im there.

gumpy green
23-08-2005, 11:06 AM

we found that because we go for unheard of(well not huge names) we have to do good promotion sumtimes......like handing out free cds at a night showing music from up an comin guests.

gives the night and artist a good pit pr and its summin folks hang on to so its free advertisis in one of the best forms....also a good way to end each night.

i also want good lights sound and visuals.......

like to have a varied mix of live/dj artists.

like the club to flow musically......dont like heardin someone play hard, then sort, then funky all over the place....i prefer mellower stuff at start buildin to peaktime nrg ingulfed Kaos.

i really think pushing new artists through is VERY IMPORTANT...to many clubs play the same folks on rotation....

themed nights/fancy dress can spice things up and make for a good laugh.

any more ill shout ya....

AcidTrash
28-08-2005, 04:07 PM
how a bout a pure 155bpm acid techno room?

Mindful
28-08-2005, 05:32 PM
Haha yeah cause Stevies gonna go for that ground breaking thought

dirty_bass
28-08-2005, 06:16 PM
how a bout a pure 155bpm acid techno room?

Hardly ground breaking.
I did that when I ran free parties back in the day.
I`m not one to look back, as much fun as it was, it ain`t gonna exactly take london by the throat.
We`ve got that in warehouses all over town, every week.
If acid techno had progressed I probably wouldhave an acid tech room though.

AcidTrash
28-08-2005, 06:58 PM
Shows what you know. It has come so far in a shorty time recently. I heard an acid techno track without ride cymbals the other day. :lol:

eyes without a face
28-08-2005, 07:15 PM
Shows what you know. It has come so far in a shorty time recently. I heard an acid techno track without ride cymbals the other day. :lol:

well thats that then, evolution has come full circle

Paul Zykotik
29-08-2005, 09:06 PM

Where Skibba and Shabba appear, the rudeboys will follow. Take that element away and they can't get their head round the fact that some of us actually go to a night to hear music rather than non-stop chatting. DnB only attracts arseholes at the bigger nights such as Slammin Vinyl, One Nation, Battle Of The MCs etc. Other nights I've been to that move the focus away from MCs - e.g. Ram, Renegade Hardware, Traffic, London Zu - have had a very small rudeboy contingent.

I like the breaks idea though. Have started going out to a few breaks nights recently and have been surprised by how much electro, and even 4/4 stuff, gets played.

dirty_bass
29-08-2005, 09:14 PM
Oh man, we are not havin MC`s on the rig.

Unless they really are the shit.
There will be no open mike.
All who want to be in, must supply a demo.

fatcollective
30-08-2005, 12:29 AM
http://www.boreme.com/boreme/funny-2004/m_street_drummer-p1.php?fromrelated=1

this guy on a stage would be pretty cool.

dirty_bass
30-08-2005, 01:25 AM
http://www.boreme.com/boreme/funny-2004/m_street_drummer-p1.php?fromrelated=1

this guy on a stage would be pretty cool.

wow, I`d book that cat any day.

holotropik
30-08-2005, 09:50 AM
DnB works well with Techno for a side room thing.

Actually the whole broken beat scene from Hip-hop - breaks - DnB works well for an additional room at any party. (esp on Funktion1).

Down here there is a real minimal following happening at the moment with some solid crews flying the flag for this style ( I call it blip-blop...pfft) anyway, it sort of acts as a good chillout room type of thing - also attracts all the wierd nerdy types that add colour to the place.

Its really hard to pick a combo that will work esp. when you are trying to breath new life into a scene. The only way to do this is by bringing in new acts/DJs with new technology and present it in the right way. You really have to talk about it as though it is established and "now" to get the peeps to come have a look.

Its been really hard to get peeps out of the house down here lately - its like everyone has turned into Mr. & Mrs. Joe Average at the moment. They spend too much time worrying about their careers and money and amassing wealth to even consider having a good time of it.

The peeps who do go out go to a bar and listen to shite commercial crap mainly. That doesnt make sense to me??

BUT....
The tide is about to turn as our society heads into some troubled times so peeps will want to blow out a bit more and party like there is no tomorrow....now is a good time to release the next wave of tunage I reckon. I know my crew in Melbourne are planning such a thing as we speak.
....................there may not be a tomorrow anyway...???

278d7e64a374de26f==