PDA

View Full Version : Too many VST's?

massplanck
09-08-2005, 07:37 PM
hmmmm... ive just done a sweep of all the best free vstis & plugins i could find on the web and pretty much replaced all my cracked stuff with legit :oops: Ive filterd all the 'OK' ones out into 'another folder' whilst the best are in my 'favourites' both are in the VST plugins directory.

SX has started going a bit unstable on me though and im wondering.
Do all the DLL files get loaded into memory from the plugins directory on startup of cubase.. ie does the amount of plugins you have in that folder clog performance up somehow and should i just remove the ones im not gonna be using right now to some vst temp dir?

Also.. how efficient are free plugs? I take it they do cause some problems?

TechMouse
10-08-2005, 10:37 AM
Also.. how efficient are free plugs? I take it they do cause some problems?
There's no hard and fast rule.

Arguably, you get what you pay for when you do pay, but there are some very talented "hobbyist" programmers out there who have put together some outstanding plugins in their spare time. Many of which are freely available, interesting, good quality and rock solid - as well as processor efficient.

Good examples are (off the top of my head): DestoryFX, DigitalFishPhones.

Though, obvoiusly, some free plugins are less well put together.

I think it's generally a case of trial and error!

grain
22-08-2005, 09:12 PM
[quote="massplanck"] i .... pretty much replaced all my cracked stuff with legit...

ALL your software is legit?

Sure...

Certainly some nice free plugins out there tho..

If I had to buy just one commmercial plug-in though, I rekon Reaktor 5 has a preeety hot fx bank, not to mention all the vsts... then you can build your own/edit existing when you get bored of the presets...

:neutral:

massplanck
23-08-2005, 09:57 AM
[quote=massplanck] i .... pretty much replaced all my cracked stuff with legit...

ALL your software is legit?

Sure...

More legit than that laptop of yours. :nono: :lol:

Nah I did get rid of em all... I must post a list of all the best free stuff I found. Some killer stuff out there but only thing im worried about is the performance & how well the code is written.

and ive registered Bidule & Audiomulch too which are something like a poor mans reaktor but just as good...

278d7e64a374de26f==