PDA

View Full Version : How Important Is Money In The Creative Sense ?

slavestudios
10-08-2005, 12:36 AM
we all know money makes the world go round :roll:

but how relevant do you peeps think it is to the creative part of writing ?

do you think it helps or hinders the process if there is a contract behind it or a fee in the balance ?

i have hugely complex (and quite frankly dull) ideas on this subject, but i'll not bore, suffice to say i dont think there is anyone who uses this forum who works for money first & foremost.

i personally believe the ppl here are in it for love. if you can pay the rent, excellent, but i believe almost all here would continue in some aspect if the money was removed form the world of techno.

whats your thoughts chaps ? and chapesses (sp?)

thanx for reading ;)

davethedrummer
10-08-2005, 12:39 AM
well obviously i'm in it for the cash
the fast cars
stretch limos
endless amounts of booze and drugs
a huge mansion in countryside with my own personal duck pond

that kind of thing

dirty_bass
10-08-2005, 12:47 AM
hehe
on a serious note, personally, the love was there first.
However, as Burroughs said, no good writing is ever done on an empty stomach, and getting paid fairly for your work is no worse to ask than the poor girl at Asda workin on the till.
But if money is your only drive, then in my own philosphy, you are no better than any of the other millions of lifeless consumers out there.

dan the acid man
10-08-2005, 12:49 AM
huh duckpond, im keeping it real, ive got a puddle :lol:

having never been put in the situation of having to write some music witha contract over my head,d emanding i have something ready by such a date, i cant really answer this question.

But ii'll guess it can play on your mind and put pressure on you when you dont need it, it would probably hinder me anway

Tyrisia
10-08-2005, 12:50 AM
I think writin good music should be the biggest buzz, and, hey, if u get a deal outta it, that's a bonus, but it would only be a bonus and not the motivation, for me anyways.

music is an expression of one's inner self, if people like it and it makes money, that's more beer tokens. But the concept that i would have to write a tune in a style that i was not happy with, just to pay the bills, would not appeal to me at all (unless we're talkin a couple of million, i could put meself out for that i reckon :) )

the whole world has gone consumer crazy, and that has never been what techno's about to me, therefore it has always been my escape from the insanity of our society, if u see what i mean.

davethedrummer
10-08-2005, 12:54 AM
I think writin good music should be the biggest buzz, and, hey, if u get a deal outta it, that's a bonus, but it would only be a bonus and not the motivation, for me anyways.

music is an expression of one's inner self, if people like it and it makes money, that's more beer tokens. But the concept that i would have to write a tune in a style that i was not happy with, just to pay the bills, would not appeal to me at all (unless we're talkin a couple of million, i could put meself out for that i reckon :) )

the whole world has gone consumer crazy, and that has never been what techno's about to me, therefore it has always been my escape from the insanity of our society, if u see what i mean.

the whole world has always been consumer crazy

Evil G
10-08-2005, 12:54 AM
i think it's important to note that the music doesn't sell itself. writing music that you think consumers want to buy *is* selling out, but writing the music you love, and then following through with an effort to get it into the hands of people who might like it is not.

the world is big and small at the same time. if only one in a million people is into your sound, you can still sell thousands of copies if you figure out how to get it to like minded people.

dirty_bass
10-08-2005, 12:55 AM
oh hang on, I didn`t fully answer the question.
Well, how does it effect the creative process?
Hmm, sometimes a deadline or a contract can focus and help you, sometimes it can make you do anything just to get it done.
I`ve had several labels ask me for stuff I just couldn`t make because I wasn`t feelin it at the time, so rather than force it, I just said sorry, I`m not gonna send you crap I`ve rushed out, if I do get anything done in that style I¬ll send it to you, sorry for the trouble.
I can easily see how you can get into a breadline rut though, and just churn out stuff for the dollar. I hope I never get to that though.

dan the acid man
10-08-2005, 12:56 AM
Hmm, sometimes a deadline or a contract can focus and help you, sometimes it can make you do anything just to get it done.
I`ve had several labels ask me for stuff I just couldn`t make because I wasn`t feelin it at the time, so rather than force it, I just said sorry, I`m not gonna send you crap I`ve rushed out, if I do get anything done in that style I¬ll send it to you, sorry for the trouble.
I can easily see how you can get into a breadline rut though, and just churn out stuff for the dollar. I hope I never get to that though.

so that remix of the crazy frog is out of the question now then, damn it :doh: :oops:

anybody else want to do it :eh:

Tyrisia
10-08-2005, 12:58 AM

so that remix of the crazy frog is out of the question now then, damn it :doh: :oops:

anybody else want to do it :eh:

he did make a few million, didn't he? :hmm:

Komplex
10-08-2005, 01:02 AM
You need money to support something you love.

As a musician you want to grow and you need more skills and better tools to apply those skills. More importantly, you need more time to progress, learn and create. If you receive more money it will give you more time to do what you do best instead of wasting that time to make money in a job which you only do for money alone (and getting nowhere at the same time)...

Music itself is the joy, money is the supporting factor. If you take that out, you don't have music. It's a simple principle in our advanced society and there is no changing it. We're not living in caves anymore...

Tyrisia
10-08-2005, 01:05 AM
aaahhhh, big shiny red 3 grand valve compressor, loadsa beer - doh :doh:

DJAmok
10-08-2005, 01:09 AM
Money? bah.

It's all about the ho's :lol: That's why men make music, that's why they have been making music since the dawn of man. So they can get babes that others can't. And after all these years.... it still works ;)

Tyrisia
10-08-2005, 01:13 AM
ho's, what the hell are they, i've never seen them advertised in Computer Music :lol:

is that a new name for a focusrite parametric????

Komplex
10-08-2005, 01:15 AM
Money? bah.

It's all about the ho's :lol: That's why men make music, that's why they have been making music since the dawn of man. So they can get babes that others can't. And after all these years.... it still works ;)

:lol:

Tyrisia
10-08-2005, 01:27 AM
Money? bah.

:lol:

but the lad has definitely got his prioritys right

dirty_bass
10-08-2005, 01:30 AM
Money? bah.

What if you`ve got ya girl?
I`m happy with mine, and I think EG has a rather lovely missus, so I`m pretty sure he ain`t in it for the ho`s.

Tyrisia
10-08-2005, 01:33 AM
some of us are luckier than others it seems

davethedrummer
10-08-2005, 02:03 AM
personally i'm in it for the hose too
i got paid in ten metres of garden hose last week
lovely...
just right for the duck pond really...

dan the acid man
10-08-2005, 02:11 AM
you'll be wanting sprinklers next, what ever is the world coming to

dirty_bass
10-08-2005, 02:22 AM
The problem with ho`s is that when left on their own, they always end up in a tangled mess in the garden shed.
Which is fine until a trick comes round and you trying to sell the merchandise, and there it is, in the shed, dribbling all over the cuprinol and the workmate, stinking like white spirit, and making a mess of the swarfega.

davethedrummer
10-08-2005, 02:26 AM
The problem with ho`s is that when left on their own, they always end up in a tangled mess in the garden shed.
Which is fine until a trick comes round and you trying to sell the merchandise, and there it is, in the shed, dribbling all over the cuprinol and the workmate, stinking like white spirit, and making a mess of the swarfega.

i'm with you there man

bummer.... :crackup:

DJAmok
10-08-2005, 04:01 AM
Money? bah.

What if you`ve got ya girl?
I`m happy with mine

Okay, in that case it's all about yachts, limos, 5 star hotels, cocaine orgys, private jets and all the other stuff us filthy rich techno artists enjoy ;)

But seriously, at the end of the day nobody will care about the money. Just ask yourself what you would be more proud of, when you tell your kids about the best time of your life. "I was a DJ and I made a load of quick cash" or "I was a DJ and had a great time travelling the world and making people happy." Money is nice to make, it pays the rent and all, but it's not what motivates an artist.

Internal Error Records
10-08-2005, 04:23 AM
About the money? See here is the issue - - -

Its amazing how much money you have to make just to be poor.

Vinyl, CD's, gear, whatever, is not cheap.

Every artist, every label, has to fight for every pennie just to keep production rolling. and if a record does sell well, than the artist/label should have something put in there pocket. because enough has come out of the pocket.

Technics, Pioneer, Ableton, etc all want their money. And they need you to make money in order to give them some.

As an artist I want to create my own original ideas, but also as an artist I want to stay in the game. Not starve out.. . .

The Overfiend
10-08-2005, 05:32 AM
About the money? See here is the issue - - -

Its amazing how much money you have to make just to be poor.

Vinyl, CD's, gear, whatever, is not cheap.

Every artist, every label, has to fight for every pennie just to keep production rolling. and if a record does sell well, than the artist/label should have something put in there pocket. because enough has come out of the pocket.

Technics, Pioneer, Ableton, etc all want their money. And they need you to make money in order to give them some.

As an artist I want to create my own original ideas, but also as an artist I want to stay in the game. Not starve out.. . .

Thats my dude right there, all so true, and Amok, the ho's this is so true. I didn't see too many in the nyc party and the ones that were there.......

Dustin Zahn
10-08-2005, 06:24 AM
To say money isn't an important issue these days in techno is complete bullshit. That goes for the bigger dogs anyway. I can think of a lot of techno producers who made excellent tools and tracks who've moved on to big room, filtered down, tacky synth build-up b.s. "techno." Why? They have been getting different and better paying gigs and a producer is normally inspired by the crowds he/she plays for. Any promoters here? Ever been in a bidding war for a techno DJ? It's ridiculous. We lose DJs all the time to NYC and Chicago. Why? Money. For many of the bigger guys, money alters their creative process as well as final decisions.

In business terms, like running a record label...I say the more money, the better (if you're repsonsible enough to handle it). Ever notice how some of the most professional and consistent sounding/looking record labels always seem to sell the most copies? Having the money won't make your label a good one, but with proper business skills it's definitely a great tool for marketing, packaging, and more.

From a production stand point, some producers work better with gear rather than computers. Maybe money can afford them that gear. Usually it doesn't, and having a studio full of equipment you don't know will only hinder your performance. I use some hardware, a sony laptop, and stock soundcard. Anybody can get by with the basics as long they have some character inside them.

eyes without a face
10-08-2005, 09:25 AM
yeah ive never been a money kinda person, if ive got it sound, if i havent, err well sound too

gumpy green
10-08-2005, 11:56 AM
the way i see it you can still work a 9-5 and if you hav it in you still churn out the goods in yer spare time. ya dont need ££££ to do so.....

loads o folks do it and i dont recon it stops ther stuff being good/creative.

creativity come from your soul/mind......not making £££

all you need is some decent tools which do cost but once you have em its the person

BloodStar
10-08-2005, 01:33 PM
**** money and do it your way!

Ritzi Lee
10-08-2005, 02:52 PM
without money,
no new investments for better gear or perfection in your studio,
no money for buying records / supporting labels,
no money to support your own label, so less possibility to release stuff,
travelling, studio rent, hotel, food, drinks, ho's and shit.....

on a creative level there's no real connection with the money,
but eventually you want to extent your possibilities for greater creations.

got it??????????

dirty_bass
10-08-2005, 06:02 PM
To be truly creative, and especially to learn and have time to commit to all the stuff involved with getting professional results, you do need a lot of time. A 9-5 will take this away from you. I mean sometimes you need 3 or 4 straight days in the studio to do shit, and that IS 9-5.
So it is a total juggle.
Djing is a little easier as you can get into it in the few hours you have when you get home from work, but producing is a little different.
Same with painting, you need to commit, and make sacrifices if you want to really get good.

MARKEG
10-08-2005, 09:12 PM
just don't let money become the only drive. it's simply really. some of us need different levels of comfort in our lives. if you like fast cars, big houses and lots of food then i certianly havent got a problem with that. i personally choose to just have enough to get by and not worry about a man coming knocking on my door in a suit. that's my choice. imo, money is virus that never ends. sure, have different things in your life that bring in money if you need it but when it comes to making music, you just cant let your output be driven by it. how can you be creative and explore avenues that are complex and thoughtful when you have something in your head that says 'i must get this track completed yesterday to pay the bills'. i have things in my life that enable me to pay the bills, but it's not by making music or being in the studio being creative.

sure ppl have 200000 dollar studios, churn out track after track of the same pop record but what is this doing for the advancement of music? my advice is have two things in your life: 1 that pays and 1 that gives you pure, complete happiness that has nothing to do with cash.

but then again, i am a gemini :) ;)

dan the acid man
10-08-2005, 10:26 PM
yeah, i was brought up to respect money, if i dont have it, i dont spend it, its always kept me out of trouble

audioinjection
11-08-2005, 10:39 PM
its all about sippin on yak, and rollin on dubs

Jay Pace
12-08-2005, 12:16 AM
I wish I was in it for the love, but I'm a slave to the man.

I just can't resist rollin' in the benjamins.

Guess I'll have to keep knockin out top tens under my boy-band guise until the techno community is ready to take me seriously.

If anyone is interested I have pics for sale of my bukkake session with 'Girls Aloud'

That Tweedy has a fanny like a welly top, no lie.

holotropik
12-08-2005, 01:15 AM
money - music

totally opposite entities that are always in battle. taming the ego is the key to minimising the pain of this ever present want for more or better. unfortunately this is not helped by the pace at which technology improves our sound.

GothamGrooves.com
18-08-2005, 03:35 AM
Money has nothing to do with creativity. You can sit in your basement in your spare time and draw all the paintings you want or make all the techno you can. But thats as a hobby. And even your hobby requires resources that dont come cheap.
If you want to live off of your art form it takes money straight up. Unless you are independently wealthy, money is unfortunatley a big part of our scene. From the parties promoters throw to fund the dj's, to the gear producers use to make techno, to the artists who buy techno it all takes money.

A.P.
18-08-2005, 07:59 PM
As we all know there's very little money (maybe none for some) to be made in the underground dance scene and if you are thinking of trying to make money then i dont think your heart is totally with the music.

Ok money plays a big part in everyday life as we all need to live but producing music comes with passion and a love for it, i think it's a way of expressing your feelings how you feel at that present time.

That's my views anyway people, hope you understand what i'm trying to say ;) ;)

278d7e64a374de26f==