PDA

View Full Version : Cubase and Reason

Agent 24
10-08-2005, 12:39 PM
How do you wire them up so you can use both programs for the same track? Step by step instructions please...I hate computers!

jesus
10-08-2005, 01:09 PM
load cubase first, start a new project, then go devices->reason (then the rewire thing popsup). Now load reason and they should sync up. THough rewires weird ,as in, you have to install your programs in order of date purchased. so if youve got reason 3 and cubase 5, cubase needs to be installed first .

Agent 24
10-08-2005, 01:18 PM
Thanks mate! I'll have a go at sorting it this week. I've been using Reason for so long, really like it, hope Cubase is just as user-friendly....

dan the acid man
10-08-2005, 01:58 PM
Thanks mate! I'll have a go at sorting it this week. I've been using Reason for so long, really like it, hope Cubase is just as user-friendly....

haha, its a hard program to get your head around, but stick with it, the results will be much better.

and once you've learnt quite a bit about it you'll enjoy using it more an more

NFP
10-08-2005, 03:53 PM

haha, its a hard program to get your head around, but stick with it, the results will be much better.

and once you've learnt quite a bit about it you'll enjoy using it more an more

Defo mate its the only program i use really use reason but only for odd little silly things
Agent got a track on Nutty T you'll like made using Cubase sx3 http://www.phpbber.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=18&mforum=nuttyt

Agent 24
11-08-2005, 10:56 AM
Well, after about 4 stressful hours I managed to wire it up, and also go through one of the tutorials....you're right, it's a hard program to use! I remember when I first got Reason, after a few hours of just messing around I worked out where everything was and managed to throw a few sounds together, but with Cubase it seems you need to do everything step by step with a manual...will be having many late nights at this rate! I know once I get the hang of it my track will sound a lot better, but I'm really worried....will I ever get to grips with it?

:neutral:

EmotionComplex
11-08-2005, 11:44 AM
i thought cubase was really good to dive into myself, i was using fruity loops 2 for a year or so then checked out reason when it was first released for a short while then moved to sx and ive been using it ever since, didnt use any manuals either it just all sorta made sense to me, althoughi wasnt rewiring anything into it so that might be the brain wracking part :lol:

but stick with sx because once you get used to it you will love it, especially if you use a fair bit of hardware in your music or like your allready doing, use reason along side it.

TechnoRaver
11-08-2005, 12:00 PM
Hey anna,

are you using a mixer in reason when you link up to cubase??

Agent 24
11-08-2005, 12:24 PM
It's not just the rewiring part that confused me, it's the whole program! It's just frustrating because I tried to compare it to Reason and it's much more complicated...for example when I first got Reason it was immediately obvious how to open the sequencer and enter stuff in manually, and where all the devices and soundbanks are, but I couldn't get a single peep out of Cubase despite spending hours on it. There was a tutorial about recording things you play on a midi keyboard, but I prefer to enter it all manually on a sequencer.

I've actually got SL3 (bought SL2 and the update, can't believe how much arsing around with the copy protection/licence you have to do to get it to work), I didn't get SX as I thought it might be even more complicated!

Kris - from what I've seen so far, the programs just link up, so you can still use the mixer in Reason as usual, and also change anything you like using Cubase. Once I get the hang of Cubase I'll use a combination of both...there are some great Reason refills, and I enjoy using it so much I'd never abandon it completely!

TechnoRaver
11-08-2005, 12:51 PM
yeh they link up nice but its probably better not to use a mixer in reason if your using cubase aswell. If you put each instrument in reason through its own channel on the hardware interface you can control and fx each element individually in cubase. you have to open up the channels by clicking devices- reason and then open up your channels by clicking the on switch.

Agent 24
11-08-2005, 01:07 PM
does that mean you have to move all the sliders on the Reason mixer as low as they go and just use the Cubase mixer? or leave them as they are?

think I'll make a start on the "operating manual" tonight! :crackup:

NFP
11-08-2005, 02:55 PM
i thought cubase was really good to dive into myself, i was using fruity loops 2 for a year or so then checked out reason when it was first released for a short while then moved to sx and ive been using it ever since, didnt use any manuals either it just all sorta made sense to me, althoughi wasnt rewiring anything into it so that might be the brain wracking part :lol:

but stick with sx because once you get used to it you will love it, especially if you use a fair bit of hardware in your music or like your allready doing, use reason along side it.

Well said mate I think Cubase SX is top notch, theres a load of other sequencers out there but in my opinion maybe some people will tend to disagree but its my top notch program plus I didnt use the manuals either just dived straight in, same with reason. I find you learn a lot more. And you never stop learning new things with it ive used it nearly 6-7 yrs and its still got some tricks up its sleeve.

Agent 24
11-08-2005, 04:01 PM
hmmmm...I can't believe how many of you have got stuck in straight away without the manual! I feel like a right retard now! :cry:

DJ Corbzy
11-08-2005, 06:20 PM
I dived into Cubase from Fruity and never went back....

NFP
12-08-2005, 06:18 AM
hmmmm...I can't believe how many of you have got stuck in straight away without the manual! I feel like a right retard now! :cry:
Hey Agent just get a couple of tips no ones calling you a retard for reading a manual. There are lots of people in your predicament, that read manuals.

Agent 24
12-08-2005, 10:05 AM
haha I know, I just find it amazing that anyone can actually use that program without a manual!

I made a bit of progress last night, connected the midi keyboard and got some sound out of it, and got the VST to work. The next bit is working out how to enter stuff in the sequencer when using VST instruments.

Now I've set up the midi keyboard with Cubase it seems to have messed up my audio settings - the setting for my keyboard is meant to be "ASIO MAudio Ozone", which is what I've had it on when using Reason. Now when I use Reason no sound comes out from anywhere although the level meters are lit so something is happening somewhere. The "ASIO Multimedia Driver" setting works, although it's a different sample rate, so presumably that's not good? The DirectX setting works but the manual recommends ASIO...and I can't get it back!

The existing settings probably work if Reason and Cubase were linked up, but 9 times out of 10 it crashes, or I get an error message saying the Reason engine isn't installed. Argh!

I really want to get my head round it though, the manual is hard going so I might see if there are any tutorials around, like a quick guide on how to enter in the various elements of a track, like synths, drums and samples. I was very tempted to uninstall it and just carry on using Reason, but if it's as good as everyone says, I may as well battle on... :crackup:

NFP
12-08-2005, 10:56 AM
Definitely battle on its ten times better than reason plus you get much more satifaction out of your tunes.

You'll get the hang of it.

TechnoNRGKid
26-10-2005, 05:25 AM
Yeah automating and things are so good in cubase.
I used FL studio alot and said i'd never leave it but Cubase changed my mind.
The hardest thing for me to figure out was getting vstis to work. Once you get that part things can get easy. For one you can create everything in vsti/midi, and if needed export it to an audio file when done.
If you figure out vsti , probably everything else with midi will fall into place.
To think it was as simple as..
Ppressing f11 to bring up the VST Instruments menu
Using the slots to pick an instrument.
Then going back to the Sequencer and Adding a Midi track
Going to that midi tracks output and in the drop down menu selecting the vst instrument you selected from the VST Instrument menu
Then Going to the sequencer again selecting the pencil/draw tool and drawing a square of the size you want for beats on that midi track.
Then selecting the object selection tool and
Double clicking that square and drawing in the notes you want.

278d7e64a374de26f==