PDA

View Full Version : Dave Clarke

french_og
11-08-2005, 08:14 PM
What a disapointment he was friday, was meant to play at 4am, then complained about the set up and the speakers which is always quality at Revival, said he wasn´t gonna play. He then played at 6:30am and was terrible.

And he was paid €12 000 for that!!

conflict
11-08-2005, 08:15 PM
oh dear that is poor

what was he complaing about exactly?

its a lot of money

french_og
11-08-2005, 08:23 PM
I think it was the sound of the speakers or the set up of it but his sound technician checked it out before and said it was fine. It was rubbish because the sound in there is awesome.

koma
11-08-2005, 08:42 PM
its a lot of money

its a way too much money for ANY dj...

Dave Elyzium
11-08-2005, 08:45 PM
i wonder at what point in your DJ career you turn into a wanker ?

im not callign mr clarke a wanker directly as i respect him alot but i wonder at what point you forget what you got into the scene for in the first place? surely the crowd hearing the tunes is more important than the quality of your monitors?

Zektor
11-08-2005, 08:48 PM

you're bullshitting.......right?

:roll:

:shock:

g
11-08-2005, 09:10 PM
dave gets paid a lot no doubt, but that number seems... unlikely.

eyes without a face
11-08-2005, 09:29 PM
id stick my neck out and say that fee has been overestimated

re the gig, i dont know, why not try emailing him and asking direct instead of just slagging him off on a message board? pointless really when you can go straight to the horses mouth as it were

DJAmok
12-08-2005, 12:24 AM
kinda goes with the shit promoters all over the world have told me about this guy. and the stunt he pulled off at ILT last year.

he had everyone removed from the stage who wasn't wearing a dave clarke t-shirt (...) including the other djs. took the monitor speakers away from pet duo while they were playing. didn't let me set up my stuff, and then he even quit 7 minutes early without warning, so I wasn't even near, when suddenly there was no music anymore. until they had everything hooked up, it was another 5 minutes or so without music. in a room with several thousand people. best part however: when he was playing, people actually left the room and demonstratively yawned in front of him.

wonder why promoters are willing to pay so much money for him.

MARKEG
12-08-2005, 12:26 AM
What a disapointment he was friday, was meant to play at 4am, then complained about the set up and the speakers which is always quality at Revival, said he wasn´t gonna play. He then played at 6:30am and was terrible.

i say that fee is bullshit. sooo many times i've been told a certain dj gets x amount and i actually get to know the guy down the line and you realise there's a huge bunch of gossip going on this scene...

i'll actually put my life on it that he didn't get this figure.

perhaps the monitors weren't right? perhaps he talked to the promotors and they told him, look don't play we don't want you playing when the monitors are f*cked. and then perhaps at 5am he turned round and said 'no **** this, i'm playing'.. but by which time after all the f'ing about he's had a few too many vodka's cause he thought he wasn't going to go on.

look you can't make this accusations. you don't know the true story and you don't know what went off. if i had 1 quid for the amount of time ppl have said i was ****ed off my face behind the decks and i wasn't, i would be a millionare.

perhaps clarke's set wasnt all that in your opinion. cool. but no need for this hostile post imo...

eyes without a face
12-08-2005, 12:32 AM
kinda goes with the shit promoters all over the world have told me about this guy. and the stunt he pulled off at ILT last year.

he had everyone removed from the stage who wasn't wearing a dave clarke t-shirt (...) including the other djs. took the monitor speakers away from pet duo while they were playing. didn't let me set up my stuff, and then he even quit 7 minutes early without warning, so I wasn't even near, when suddenly there was no music anymore. until they had everything hooked up, it was another 5 minutes or so without music. in a room with several thousand people. best part however: when he was playing, people actually left the room and demonstratively yawned in front of him.

not a fan then? :lol:

DJAmok
12-08-2005, 12:41 AM
No, it's not that, I've heard good sets of him before. His music isn't my taste, so I don't really care about him one way or the other.

I just say it's disgraceful showing up at a gig and behaving like that towards the other artists and especially the crowd. But that's just my opinion.

G-BO
12-08-2005, 12:44 AM
seen him in belfast in april past and thought the was fantastic, always at the oul lazy mixing, but the way the set progressed and the amount of good techno he played, it was good to see a dj of that stature still play some sick stuff in the big room, maybe aint as adventurous as he used to be and maybe plays alot more guff, but which as probably been said before, techno wouldve be in a worse state without him

hardly top of my to se list though ;)

Traxx
12-08-2005, 12:59 AM
best part however: when he was playing, people actually left the room and demonstratively yawned in front of him.

I was one of them. :lol:

The Divide
12-08-2005, 01:08 AM

I was at that, he did a live pa and i wasnt impressed. There was something seriously wrong with how it was setup as all I could hear in the middle of the arena was bass. It was the worst set I have heard by him

DJ Becka
12-08-2005, 04:33 AM
No, it's not that, I've heard good sets of him before. His music isn't my taste, so I don't really care about him one way or the other.

I just say it's disgraceful showing up at a gig and behaving like that towards the other artists and especially the crowd. But that's just my opinion.

I agree with you....there's no reason to act like a complete asshole at a gig. (well, unless of course the promoter acts like an asshole to you or something, then maybe it's excusable)

I do like him as a dj, but him having an attitude is a complete turnoff.....would rather support an artist who is nice to people-especially their fans-you know, the ones who BUY the music- than one who acts like a jerk :nono:

The Germ
12-08-2005, 05:25 AM
His music has always given me a headache

The Overfiend
12-08-2005, 05:33 AM

yeah and red was shite
n***a please :dontevengothere:

Dustin Zahn
12-08-2005, 07:14 AM
People will hate on him just to hate on him. Do I think his antics are sometimes over the top? Yes. Do I think he gets paid too much for what he does? Yes, but if I were him I'd take the money too. Is all the b.s. rumors and drama with him pretty rude on his part? Yes.

I'm not denying any of that. Here's a couple reasons why I still give him a couple bits of respect.

1. He does have mad skills behind the decks. Maybe he isn't consistent enough with them these days. I don't know. He's too ****in cocky to come over to the U.S., so I can't really tell you first hand.

2. While artists like Hawtin et all will bandwagon anything trendy like Villalobos and the likes, Clarke isn't afraid to play what he likes when he likes. Sometimes this means he plays some really awful music (okay, most of the time). Other times, he charts and plays everything from Petar Dundov to Makaton to British Murder Boys. Most other super star DJs wouldn't dare play those tunes out.

Another thing to keep in mind is that a lot of what you hear may be just as false as it is true. Also, I honestly think a lot of these DJs sometimes have to put up a fuss or charge higher for a reason. If Clarkey were to only charge a thousand or two per gig you'd have some of the worst and most unprofessional promoters constantly throwing horrible shows for him to play at. He plays enough to this day where it probably happens already anyway. By setting requirements and fee a bit higher, you can eliminate a lot of bullshit to deal with. At his level you almost have to. That doesn't mean I think he is worth what he regularly gets paid.

Also, if a DJ comes to me with a list of requirements, as a promoter I am going to make DAMN SURE every possible requirement is filled. I do this at every one of my shows, because if they're comfortable it means they have a better chance of rocking it out that night, and that's what I am paying all the money for. I want my performers to be at the top of their game when they come through to play for me. If I throw in some half-assed monitors or don't get the equipment they want or need I might as well not even book them.

I guess you could say my view is maybe he has to be this way for a reason. Maybe he just had to say enough is enough. Or maybe I'm wrong and he's just a cocky, bitchy, money-hungry s.o.b. :)

Either way, when it comes to Hawtin vs. Clarke I'll side with Clarke any day (even though I like Hawtin's musical selection way better)

P.S. Red series rules.

massplanck
12-08-2005, 07:35 AM
yeah and red was shite

You think Red was shite?

french_og
12-08-2005, 08:18 AM
Sorry if it looks like i was making accusations but two of the dj´s from Revival go to the gym i go to. They said that was what he got paid and that the owner was well not happy.

I don´t know the true story obviously but the set he played was still terrible a couple of vodkas or not.

sash
12-08-2005, 08:39 AM
have his sets changed much since he switched to cd's?

koma
12-08-2005, 08:52 AM
yeah and red was shite

You think Red was shite?

irony?

Heroes
12-08-2005, 08:54 AM
for mark.

http://www.gm-multimedia.com/avatar/pound_coin.jpg

koma
12-08-2005, 09:01 AM
Also, I honestly think a lot of these DJs sometimes have to put up a fuss or charge higher for a reason. If Clarkey were to only charge a thousand or two per gig you'd have some of the worst and most unprofessional promoters constantly throwing horrible shows for him to play at. He plays enough to this day where it probably happens already anyway. By setting requirements and fee a bit higher, you can eliminate a lot of bullshit to deal with. At his level you almost have to. That doesn't mean I think he is worth what he regularly gets paid.

this is very true, heard something like that from some other "super star" djs when they played here. they all know there is bunch of so called promoters that do parties and raves just for the money and they can't allow every **** from some village to earn money on them..and thats ok, and I agree with the other things you wrote too..

when clarke played in Brno @ Imperium party, he wanted everyone removed from the stage except for other djs, which was kind of understandable when i saw denham playing after him and some wanker coming around him and acting like a monkey.. really hate that, i mean, promoters should take care of that..if you want some dj to rock your club, he has to have best conditions possible for it..

eyes without a face
12-08-2005, 09:04 AM
Sorry if it looks like i was making accusations but two of the dj´s from Revival go to the gym i go to. They said that was what he got paid and that the owner was well not happy.

I don´t know the true story obviously but the set he played was still terrible a couple of vodkas or not.

haha, thats awesome, "yeah Dave Clarke got 12,000 euro's... what mate? yeah i heard it down the gym"

hilarious

people hate on Clarke because its the fun thing to do these days, and like someone said no one's the full story, how do you guys know something didnt happen backstage at ILT or something happened during his set ups? ive seen Clarke play some absolute blinding sets, real "****in hell whats going on here!" kinda stuff, and ive also seen him play some real turkeys too

as i said, why not just email him instead of slagging him off? i would, and have done with other artists ive found myself dismayed with

The Overfiend
12-08-2005, 09:07 AM
I was mocking what germ said about his music being shite based on the fact that those were some of the best records till this day.
heysus frickin christmas :doh:

eyes without a face
12-08-2005, 09:10 AM
we knew what you meant Tony, ah you correct Red still bangs it to this day

G-whizz
12-08-2005, 09:44 AM
Either way if people love him or hate him he gets a lot of free press either way ;)

eyes without a face
12-08-2005, 09:47 AM
re the clearing the stage thing, ****, id do that too and have if its going to stop you doing your thing, its a performers right to have enough space to do their job

TechMouse
12-08-2005, 09:55 AM
Divas, eh?

... and whilst, admittedly, a lot of stuff about DC could be complete rumour, I know one or two stories first hand from a promoter I know who has booked him several times. I know exactly what happened, and I know exactly the amount of money involved, straight from the horses mouth, (so to speak). It's so ludicrous it's not even funny... and leads me to believe that anything's possible really. Anyway, I doubt anything I can say will diminish his earning potential... and for the amount of money he earns he can sit and take it like a man, frankly.

best part however: when he was playing, people actually left the room and demonstratively yawned in front of him.

I was one of them. :lol:

Yeah me too.

massplanck
12-08-2005, 10:05 AM
yeah and red was shite

You think Red was shite?

irony?

Irony doesnt have a n***a in it. I cant understand. ;)

massplanck
12-08-2005, 10:07 AM
I was mocking what germ said about his music being shite based on the fact that those were some of the best records till this day.
heysus frickin christmas :doh:

my doh SOS. :doh:

No worries. ;)

schlongfingers
12-08-2005, 10:38 AM
His last book was great, Popcorn still rocks my boat too!

G-BO
12-08-2005, 10:53 AM
the whole DC slag offs have gotten really old over teh last year or two

slagg of soemone like umek, an ignorant bast*rd and a a woeful dj ;)

slavestudios
12-08-2005, 11:05 AM
i have had personal beef with clarke.

ive had personal beef with a truck load of djs, but not one of them came off the way DC did.

he has become a self important trade mark.

the man had a huge mammoth blast at me, then refused to answer any return. THAT is weak.

and any dj whop puts out a press release about their choice of make up ?
forget it.

his attitude stinks. as for Devils Advocate... worst techno album ive heard since... since...

wow :shock:

slavestudios
12-08-2005, 11:10 AM
the whole DC slag offs have gotten really old over teh last year or two

slagg of soemone like umek, an ignorant bast*rd and a a woeful dj ;)

this comin from a guy who was listening to Tiesto & Co bout 3 years ago :lol: :lol: :lol:

and gerry, ffs, i think you'll find Umek is a much more capable dj than DC any day..

sure you reckon dj slip & kennedy are the next hot ticket lol and that slip thing from Music Exchange ? i sold them that about 98 you tube lol

go get clued up then come on & slabber ;)

j/k by the way... its like a joke, though you need to get irony & sarcasm... ;) :roll: :lol:

slavestudios
12-08-2005, 11:11 AM
hope i dont get another warming ;)

MARKEG
12-08-2005, 11:17 AM
a warming?

hmmmmm let me see what we can do :lol:

slavestudios
12-08-2005, 11:26 AM
a warming?

hmmmmm let me see what we can do :lol:

:oops:

well, theres a bit of humour injected if nowt else lol

right, i'm outta this thread or i may end up with a war'N'ing to go with possible warming lol

massplanck
12-08-2005, 01:45 PM
I dont find anything funny about ripping the piss out of what someone was into or things is good now.

Im funny like that.

I suppose you wont be slagging Glenn off again?

:lol:

Jay Pace
12-08-2005, 02:14 PM
Dave Clarke played to 250 people in Brighton for free.

All donations went to charity.

Most people donated a pound, and at the end of the night there was a pot of £280.

And his set was a belter. Just dead good fun.

Swings and roundabouts...

TechMouse
12-08-2005, 02:16 PM
Dave Clarke played to 250 people in Brighton for free.

All donations went to charity.

Most people donated a pound, and at the end of the night there was a pot of £280.

And his set was a belter. Just dead good fun.

Swings and roundabouts...

So, it would have been probably ten times that if he'd just played a regular gig and given his profits to charity then?

massplanck
12-08-2005, 02:17 PM
He played a punk set in dublin for nothing too after a Paddys Day a few years ago if i remember correctly.

I hate spas who like to wash their dirty laundry in public to be honest and belittle others as they go along. Thats BIG!

schlongfingers
12-08-2005, 02:18 PM
From personal experience, the guys not worth thinking about frankly.

Music wise, the red series was great, magnetic north was brilliant, 1995 was ten years ago :D

slavestudios
12-08-2005, 02:25 PM
I dont find anything funny about ripping the piss out of what someone was into or things is good now.

Im funny like that.

I suppose you wont be slagging Glenn off again?

that depends if we have another disagreement or not...

listen man, DC has publicly berated a lot of ppl so if he's big enuff to dish it out, then he should be man enuff to take it.

ive had beef with ppl here & at times ive realised ive been wrong. and apologised as such. i'll not bore you with the 'dirty laundry' but i was dissapointed in how DC handled the situation.

strange, cos a month later he was asking for me at a party in belfast..

either way, jus cos you dig his music, dont mean he's a great guy. likewise, someone who makes rubbish aint a twat either ;)

this attitude of 'i like him, so therefore he cant be evil' is as bad, if not worse, than 'dirty laundry...' s**t

and for the record, mr wilson has given a lot of ppl a shot they may not have got otherwise. i dont see DC trying to help us out after 10 years of buying his vinyl.

but maybe thats jus me & my bitter wee ways...

i thought you were a bit better than that type of snipe massplanck but there ya go eh ;)

laterz :lol:

massplanck
12-08-2005, 02:28 PM
Im on the blob. :lol:

You're gonna be in a right pcikle if DC starts playing that Template release though. :lol:

slavestudios
12-08-2005, 02:39 PM
Im on the blob. :lol:

You're gonna be in a right pcikle if DC starts playing that Template release though. :lol:

lol @ blob

pickle ? i think not... sure he doesnt play vinyl anymore ;)

massplanck
12-08-2005, 02:39 PM
pickle ? i think not... sure he doesnt play vinyl anymore ;)

gumpy green
12-08-2005, 03:21 PM
dave will grab it fi slsk......burn to cd and stick the 2 fingers up at you pete ;)

slavestudios
12-08-2005, 03:24 PM
dave will grab it fi slsk......burn to cd and stick the 2 fingers up at you pete ;)

LMFBO

i'll sue his black leather panted ass lol

gumpy green
12-08-2005, 03:27 PM
im sure you'd win and take the shirt of his...erm i mean the trousers off his legs..

i remember you tellin me you luved the look when you were over ;) ;)

slavestudios
12-08-2005, 03:29 PM
hey, when i go out in the gimp look, i do it fine...

i got the svelt body needed for such outfits...

DC jus looks like a 40-sumthin Ben Elton on the end of a bad marriage lol

JUST KIDDING FFS LOL :lol:

gumpy green
12-08-2005, 04:12 PM
i know you do pete....put dc to shame likes.

Jay Pace
12-08-2005, 04:27 PM
So, it would have been probably ten times that if he'd just played a regular gig and given his profits to charity then?

Bit lairy there matey. You could argue that anyone doing anything for charity would be better off working and then donating their money.

I help out at a shelter occassionally. I'd be pretty aggrieved if someone told me I should just do paid work instead and donate it.

Gonna buy me a stuffed DC and mount it to the bonnet off my car, and drive round late at night honking my horn.

TechMouse
12-08-2005, 04:29 PM

Bit lairy there matey. You could argue that anyone doing anything for charity would be better off working and then donating their money.

Just pointing our the numerical fact. No intention of being "lairy".

massplanck
12-08-2005, 04:40 PM
He has a new website up.

http://www.rh.edu/~davec/

koma
12-08-2005, 05:17 PM
http://home.westbrabant.net/~techno/images/davec.jpg

koma
12-08-2005, 05:18 PM
He has a new website up.

http://www.rh.edu/~davec/

nah, update your bookmark, he moved to canada

http://www.daveclarke.ca/

eyes without a face
12-08-2005, 06:27 PM
great thread

Frank Dogshit
12-08-2005, 06:31 PM

I help out at a shelter occassionally. I'd be pretty aggrieved if someone told me I should just do paid work instead and donate it.

Gonna buy me a stuffed DC and mount it to the bonnet off my car, and drive round late at night honking my horn.

went to a charity gig last year @ the music box in manchester with clarke playing.

about 800 people there with all proceeds goin to charity....makes it difficult to write him off as a complete cunt hey! :lol:

eyes without a face
12-08-2005, 06:45 PM
he's done numerous charity gigs, as have alot of dj's at his level, if you have a personal beef with someone and its acknowledged by both parties then sure there are reasons for the opinions harnessed, thats fair enough, but until he personally tells me to **** off for anything then yeah he's an ok guy in my book, i couldnt care less how much he charges or what incidents he's been involved in with others, even people i know, he's only human afterall and i think we can all hold our hands up and admit to being a cunt at some point, i certainly can

musically no im not a massive fan these days, Devils Advocate is not my kind of thing at all but im sure some of the stuff i do wouldnt be Clarke's bag, but im sure he isnt going to post saying how shit it is, as someone said earlier, swings and roundabouts

Alan Oldham
12-08-2005, 06:51 PM
http://home.westbrabant.net/~techno/images/davec.jpg

Well, that just about sums it up.

koma
12-08-2005, 06:59 PM
all i know he kicked the dancefloor last two times i heard him this year (hm, already said that couple of times)

fact of being a world known dj brings as much BS as money and fame.. so, if i were on his place, who knows how would i act.. the better you are in something, tougher is your character and tolerance for BS gets lower..

Martin Dust
12-08-2005, 07:05 PM
Well, I like the bloke, so up yours :twisted:

slavestudios
13-08-2005, 05:18 AM
fair do's to 'im..

i jus can't let it go lol

still, 2 copys or Red3...

and he done fair job on Feaks on Hubbard & La La Land.. :clap:

eyes without a face
13-08-2005, 09:43 AM
yeah i like the guy, at the end of the day he doesnt take any bullshit and half the stories that go around about him are faker than Jordans tits so fair play to the man

oldbugger
13-08-2005, 10:09 AM
i like him too. his arrogance is great :lol:

i made a post about his recent sets though and its gone :eh: or maybe i imagined it.

anyway. the post i made was..

i think his sets have gone pretty dull in comparison to his older ones. nothing to do with the music but they just dont seem the same.

it seems to coincide with his switch to cdj's only but maybe that is just a coincidence.
or does anyone else think this is the case too?

i miss the old clarke sets where everyone would just be standing there in amazement saying "how the hell is he doing that" they were great times.

nobody can knock that.

clarke in the courtyard = ledgendary :cool:

but whats happened :?:

eyes without a face
13-08-2005, 10:16 AM
exactly, the old courtyard, jesus on a bike

aint no taking that era away from the man, some serious shit went on in those days

oldbugger
13-08-2005, 10:25 AM
exactly, the old courtyard, jesus on a bike

aint no taking that era away from the man, some serious shit went on in those days

you knows it. :lol:

you cant take shit like that away from a guy for missing a gig. he's responsible for getting a lot of people into techno i reckon. especially after the likes of his residency in bugged out when you got loads from a non techno crowd.

i'm not really a fan of a lot of the music he plays, but i ALWAYS enjoyed his sets.

respect. :cool:

how i miss the courtyard :cry: :crackup:

MARKEG
13-08-2005, 12:17 PM
i just think it's daft that someone who has obviously given soooo much to techno is given such a slating so much. i don't agree with alot of things he does, but hell, i have so much respect for him. come on you haters, can't you see this?????

eyes without a face
13-08-2005, 06:48 PM
definately trip down memory lane the past few weeks, Q club, The Courtyard... gutted man, The Courtyard!!! :evil: :cry:

Traxx
13-08-2005, 06:58 PM
The courtyard used to take the piss. Got a good 3 years nearly of bugged outs back when it used to be good. Went every month. Those were the days when clarkey owned the courtyard. Many a shout of "what’s he doing" over the course of a set.

Alas that was many a year ago. His sets bore the arse off me these days. I wouldn’t say its due to my tastes in techno changing either, which they have. I just don’t think he stands up to the clarke of old.

eyes without a face
13-08-2005, 07:29 PM
i agree, but i think too many people realise this and then see it as a bad thing and slag **** out of him, i couldnt do that after some of the nights in the Courtyard, it wouldnt of been the same without Clarke and Justin Robertson in there

Alan Oldham
13-08-2005, 07:58 PM
i just think it's daft that someone who has obviously given soooo much to techno is given such a slating so much.

Happens all the time, one gets used to it :roll:

massplanck
13-08-2005, 08:06 PM
Alan Oldham wears mascara.

Alan Oldham
13-08-2005, 08:14 PM
Alan Oldham wears mascara.

:clap:

pedrod
14-08-2005, 01:45 AM

yeah and red was shite

Nah man .. Red in its day was the ****in nuts. (Even listening back to it now - its still does somehting for me)

People are bound to slag him off in here as his sound is now so much more housier (and even playing progressive house)

But ive seen him many times at the Orbit in Leeds over the years and he is a really excellent DJ (even if his attitude of playing to himself and not the crowd does stink a bit)

He was even a good customer at Tune Inn before he started on just CD's.. (this is the way its going unfortunately)

pedrod
14-08-2005, 01:47 AM
i just think it's daft that someone who has obviously given soooo much to techno is given such a slating so much. i don't agree with alot of things he does, but hell, i have so much respect for him. come on you haters, can't you see this?????

:clap:

Alan Oldham
14-08-2005, 02:00 AM
(even if his attitude of playing to himself and not the crowd does stink a bit)

Isn't that the basic angry techno DJ attitude though? God forbid you play a track that people like and actually dance to, especially *shudder* girls.

eyes without a face
14-08-2005, 10:16 AM

yeah and red was shite

Nah man .. Red in its day was the **** nuts. (Even listening back to it now - its still does somehting for me)

People are bound to slag him off in here as his sound is now so much more housier (and even playing progressive house)

But ive seen him many times at the Orbit in Leeds over the years and he is a really excellent DJ (even if his attitude of playing to himself and not the crowd does stink a bit)

He was even a good customer at Tune Inn before he started on just CD's.. (this is the way its going unfortunately)

i think you've missed Tony's sarcasm there really

ray
14-08-2005, 05:18 PM
I was there.
Yes there was something wrong with his set, on his website after I LOVE TECHNO he said he was very pissed off with ILT because they didn't provide a fan for cooling his live pa equipment and that was why his live pa didn't sound top notch. Also I think he complained about the the poor lightshow I thought it was fine.
Dave Clarke has played many a good set in the past but for me he's starting to be boring with his sets and with this bad attitude towards promoters which I don't very much like!!!!Remember Dave with out the very hard working promoters there wouldn't be any events so give them a break.

pedrod
14-08-2005, 07:46 PM

yeah and red was shite

Nah man .. Red in its day was the **** nuts. (Even listening back to it now - its still does somehting for me)

i think you've missed Tony's sarcasm there really

:eh: :shock:

The Divide
14-08-2005, 08:00 PM
I was there.
Yes there was something wrong with his set, on his website after I LOVE TECHNO he said he was very pissed off with ILT because they didn't provide a fan for cooling his live pa equipment and that was why his live pa didn't sound top notch. Also I think he complained about the the poor lightshow I thought it was fine.
Dave Clarke has played many a good set in the past but for me he's starting to be boring with his sets and with this bad attitude towards promoters which I don't very much like!!!!Remember Dave with out the very hard working promoters there wouldn't be any events so give them a break.

A bad engineer blames his tools eh :lol:

Stella Boy
14-08-2005, 08:24 PM

because he packs 'em in and as a promotor that's what you need otherwise you're an ex-promotor :roll:

TechMouse
15-08-2005, 09:49 AM

I see what you're saying Mark, but there's no excuse for being a cnut. Especially when you do what you love for a living.

Jesus... god knows I meet enough DJs and producers who do what they do whilst still keeping up a full time job - often which they don't particularly like - and do so with a smile on their face, and never get paid the amount DC does or get half the exposure - and IMHO many are much more talented and original, but that's just my opinion and worth no more or less than anyone elses.

In short - I do respect him and what he's done, but I wouldn't slate the guy if he didn't have such a bad attitude, which I have experienced first hand a couple of times.

As an aside, a funny story:

Backstage at an unnamed event in Nottingham...

Bouncer: OK, everyone without wristbands has to leave... now!

DC: But I'm the DJ...

Bouncer: I don't care mate, get out...

DC: No seriously, I'm the headline DJ, I'm Dave Clarke...

Bouncer: I don't care if you're Chris ****ing Moyles mate, you can **** off...

I nearly choked on my beer...

TechMouse
15-08-2005, 09:54 AM

because he packs 'em in and as a promotor that's what you need otherwise you're an ex-promotor :roll:

So does Tiesto...

eyes without a face
15-08-2005, 10:03 AM

I see what you're saying Mark, but there's no excuse for being a cnut. Especially when you do what you love for a living.

Jesus... god knows I meet enough DJs and producers who do what they do whilst still keeping up a full time job - often which they don't particularly like - and do so with a smile on their face, and never get paid the amount DC does or get half the exposure - and IMHO many are much more talented and original, but that's just my opinion and worth no more or less than anyone elses.

In short - I do respect him and what he's done, but I wouldn't slate the guy if he didn't have such a bad attitude, which I have experienced first hand a couple of times.

As an aside, a funny story:

Backstage at an unnamed event in Nottingham...

Bouncer: OK, everyone without wristbands has to leave... now!

DC: But I'm the DJ...

Bouncer: I don't care mate, get out...

DC: No seriously, I'm the headline DJ, I'm Dave Clarke...

Bouncer: I don't care if you're Chris **** Moyles mate, you can **** off...

I nearly choked on my beer...

well if your mates had put out records with the magnitude of the Red series 10 years ago then they'd be at Clarke's level ... he hasnt got this big for nothing you know, and like the guy or not he's responsible for records that have, and there's simply no debating this, changed the face of techno... thats some feat, cunt or not

the thing that gets me is that people think the guy got into the business and automatically ended up top of the pile, bullshit, ive had many conversations with DC and he's put up with more shit than half of us lot on here, and to be honest i hope i have to put up with half the troubles he has as if nothing else its made him into the person he is, he doesnt care what some people think and rightly so, people say "ohhh he's a cunt, really nasty and obnoxious"... well i know i would be if everyone slagged me off as much as they do to Clarke

i know people on here know the guy first hand and he can be a really genuinely nice guy at times, i can vouch for that, but yeah, and like EVERYONE ON HERE, he can be a cunt at times

re Clarke filling your club, Tony's correct, and yes so are you, Tiesto fills a club too, but he wouldnt fill any techno clubs would he. doh!

TechMouse
15-08-2005, 10:13 AM
well if your mates had put out records with the magnitude of the Red series 10 years ago then they'd be at Clarke's level ... he hasnt got this big for nothing you know, and like the guy or not he's responsible for records that have, and there's simply no debating this, changed the face of techno... thats some feat, cunt or not
Not talking about my "mates", I'm talking about other Techno DJs. Some of whom are full time, some aren't, but all of whom have been really sound people who it was a pleasure to spend some time with. CJ Bolland and Justin Robertson, for example, were both great guys. Phil Hartnoll is one of the friendliest people I've ever met... and say what you like about Dave Clarke, but Orbital piss all over him in terms of contribution to music.

and like EVERYONE ON HERE, he can be a cunt at times
Would those times be exclusively when he's DJing, or does it spill over into "normal" life as well...?

I'm going to shut up now, because at the end of the day I don't really know him so I can't honestly comment. Just saying that he's varied from merely austere to downright rude whenever I've met him - and so in my experience he's a bit of a cnut - and given that he has a pretty cool job he could just enjoy himself a bit.

Once again... lovely tunes and that, couldn't possibly knock his skills.

Probably a repost: http://www.idontseedeadpeople.com/dave_clarke_having_good_day.wmv

eyes without a face
15-08-2005, 10:22 AM
my mistake, i presumed you meant people you know also, but Clarke and Orbital have contributed to electronic music in different aspects, to compare them is unjust... i know what your saying re people in the scene, i know Justin very well personally and used to run his old website, he's a good friend and when you compare him to say Clarke yeah the difference in attitude does show, but that doesnt mean Clarke's a bad person, he's not, he's just grumpy and obnoxious at times, like i said just as everyone, and i mean absolutely everyone, can be at times, so to berate someone for that is unfair... you have to remember, if your watching Clarke at a gig, its probably the 3rd or 4th of the week, and he's probably just literaly got off a plane or a 6 hour car journey or whatever, and sometimes people do just need a bit of time to themselves, especially when your about to Dj to a massive crowd

you summed it up yourself in your post, you dont know him, many people dont, so to slag the guy off is really bewildering, i havent spoken to him personally in a good year or so but its really funny watching people come up with these "situations" where he's made out to be the biggest monster in the world, give the guy a break for gods sake, i thought of all places he wouldnt get torn to pieces its on here

its getting very like Overload on here, and thats not good at all, quite sad in fact :evil:

TechMouse
15-08-2005, 10:30 AM
my mistake, i presumed you meant people you know also .... blah blah blah .... and thats not good at all, quite sad in fact :evil:

So, to sum up... you think it's ok for people to be obnoxious and rude at times...

I don't - especially if they earn much more than me, doing something I'd give my left testicle to do professionally.

Difference in opinion, and not worth arguing much further IMHO.

eyes without a face
15-08-2005, 10:39 AM
you've quoted me out of context here, the "its quite sad infact" bit was in refference to the evergrowing nature of this forum, totally seperate...

i do think everyone had the right to be obnoxious or rude at times yes, there are a number of factors behind a DJ that people fail to recognise, they are still normal people, and no one is rude just for the sake of it, ive done gigs were ive had very harsh family problems on my mind and ive done the gig and i might have come across as moody or rude on the said night, but so what, if ive got something troubling me then i wouldnt think twice about being a bit out of character with someone i dont even know... as soon as you get behind a pair of decks in a respected club your open to attack, ive had it already, i was speaking to a guy the other day online and he said his mates have been slagging me off because apparently i blanked him at Voodoo NYE and wouldnt sign a poster for him, well it was news to me and apparently the guy had been really slagging me off, to the best of my knowledge i certainly didnt ignore anyone that night, nor would i

and the old "oh he gets paid alot more than me and id love to do that" doesnt really wash, he's only doing it because he's put the effort in and made it happen, of course im sure he's had some good luck too, as do most, but people forget he the guy used to work in a bloody shoe shop before he started producing and djing and lived in a damp flat in Brighton, everyone starts off somewhere and ends up somewhere else, good luck to the guy i say he's reaping what he's sown

;)

TechMouse
15-08-2005, 10:48 AM
you've quoted me out of context here, the "its quite sad infact" bit was in refference to the evergrowing nature of this forum, totally seperate...
I didn't quote anything of consequence... I quoted the first few words then put "blah blah blah" then the last few words, to indicate I was replying in context of your whole post, without necessarily needing to quote it all. Sorry, I should have made this clearer.

i do think everyone had the right to be obnoxious or rude at times yes, there are a number of factors behind a DJ that people fail to recognise, they are still normal people, and no one is rude just for the sake of it, ive done gigs were ive had very harsh family problems on my mind and ive done the gig and i might have come across as moody or rude on the said night, but so what, if ive got something troubling me then i wouldnt think twice about being a bit out of character with someone i dont even know... as soon as you get behind a pair of decks in a respected club your open to attack, ive had it already, i was speaking to a guy the other day online and he said his mates have been slagging me off because apparently i blanked him at Voodoo NYE and wouldnt sign a poster for him, well it was news to me and apparently the guy had been really slagging me off, to the best of my knowledge i certainly didnt ignore anyone that night, nor would i
I understand what you're saying, but there's a line between standoffish and all out rude, which (IMHO) doesn't need crossing. But, I conceed, this is just my way of looking at things - and no more or less valid than yours.

and the old "oh he gets paid alot more than me and id love to do that" doesnt really wash, he's only doing it because he's put the effort in and made it happen, of course im sure he's had some good luck too, as do most, but people forget he the guy used to work in a bloody shoe shop before he started producing and djing and lived in a damp flat in Brighton, everyone starts off somewhere and ends up somewhere else, good luck to the guy i say he's reaping what he's sown

;)
We agree on something then...

eyes without a face
15-08-2005, 10:49 AM
haha

:twisted: ;)

schlongfingers
15-08-2005, 11:48 AM
Oh yeah I love that oft mentioned quote about how he survived on five pounds a day..

Wow, you lived on the dole dave! What a struggle you've had to face man

Pah

TechMouse
15-08-2005, 12:01 PM
Oh yeah I love that oft mentioned quote about how he survived on five pounds a day..

Wow, you lived on the dole dave! What a struggle you've had to face man

Pah

Eeeeh when I were a lad... (etc.)

pedrod
15-08-2005, 02:56 PM
its getting very like Overload on here, and thats not good at all, quite sad in fact :evil:

I agree, im not a heavy poster, but I do read most stuff on the forum and just lately it seems like its getting a bit much (a bit heavy!) towards our fellow DJs/Producers

schlongfingers
15-08-2005, 03:59 PM
Well, so long as things are truthful what's the issue?

DJ Becka
15-08-2005, 05:24 PM
Love him or hate him, you still have to appreciate this video :lol:

http://beta.livesets.com/daveclarke/dave_clarke_having_good_day.wmv

Stella Boy
15-08-2005, 06:57 PM

So does Tiesto...

And ?

pumpinglemma
15-08-2005, 10:22 PM
Whatever about getting more people into techno. A lot of people forget he got a lot of people exposed to electro when it made a major comeback years ago with his x-mix series. The best electro set I ever heard and has not been bettered since was by him in the Kitchen in Dublin a few years ago.
Cant understand why people diss his djing. Hes one of the best technically when hes on his game. Anyone heard the essential mix he did a few years back. F**king ridiculous!
That said, dunno what he plays these days and i wouldn't be too bothered paying big money to see him in a so-called big club. But I defo have respect for the guy. Always seemed fairly down to earth to me, replying to emails etc..

TechMouse
16-08-2005, 08:56 AM

So does Tiesto...

And ?

Just an observation.

Crowd sizes are no guide with respect to quality.

278d7e64a374de26f==