PDA

View Full Version : Mixing with a Warped Record!

Hakka.
28-06-2003, 03:30 PM
Advice / tips on this... it's a good topic I think.

A warped record is no problem for slowing down... just gentle speeding up as they are sooo loose they spin on more than the average record... :( I find using the metal pin in the centre to wind a record on or using the very inner part of the record (where it's most connecting with the slip mat) is generally stable enough to spin the record on a bit when your tidying up for just matching the beat up.

Cueing off is a ****er with these as find they don't reach full speed quick enough to be matched with playing record... any ideas? It's not a problem its just I like every mix to be perfect and may find someone has an interesting technique to get around this...

:)

Voorheez
29-06-2003, 09:25 AM
Learn how to pitch ride - thus eliminating the need to touch the vinyl when speeding up/slowing down. You still experience the problem pushing off the vinyl initially, on that all I can suggest is fade in a bit later when you've got it in.

The worst is buying a vinyl that is so warped that it changes speed, because sometimes it can be a minor change that is barely noticeable, making you think it's your mixing that is off.

wenna
29-06-2003, 10:42 AM
another bad one is 'heavy records', no matter how gentaly u hold them they always stop the platter from rotating!!! :cry:

picture discs are the worst!!1's

Voorheez
29-06-2003, 03:08 PM
I've never experienced that - are you sure that it's not because they are too tight to the spindle, that can be solved if that's the case.

DJZeMig_L
01-07-2003, 01:24 AM
Put a regular pen thru it crew it a little.. makes the hole a little bigger...
I don't quite understand the prob on the first one but if it is the oposite (hole 2 large) then there is an easy old hip hop trick 4 this...

get a sticker (or any other piece of paper.. even a simple rec. sleeve) cut a bit of it, now cover the spindle with that... put the record on top and make the record go down the spindle making it break a hole while being stuck in between the record and the spindle thus making the hole tigh again!!

hope I wasn't 2 far off,..

Z

Voorheez
01-07-2003, 06:24 PM
On the first one we're talking about when a record is warped, so one side is slightly off the slipmat, meaning less friction, making it slow down more if you touch it.

DJZeMig_L
01-07-2003, 10:22 PM
lol ... now I get it... I generally put it under a very heavy stack of recs (or anything heavy and very flat) for a while... that generally makes it a little better...
sometimes if u use my tip and get the hole really tight U can press it down and it will most of the times stay (stcuk 2 the spindle) down!!

Z

Hakka.
08-07-2003, 12:30 AM
Hey thanks guys. Like the idea Ze Migl about small holes on vinyl... never thought of that.

And Voorheez, yeah this could be my biggest influence yet to start using other things like the pitch etc.. for making minor and smoother adjustments to the record without having to touching the record itself.

Cheers people.

DJZeMig_L
08-07-2003, 01:14 AM
my main technic is pitch but don't stick 2 just one thing use the best method 4 each situation!!

Z

Barely Human
08-07-2003, 03:08 AM
Also on the subject of warped vinyl- Put it in the freezer for a few day and this helps it a bit. (But make sure you are gentle with it when you get it out till its warmed up :D ) This trick only seems to work with certain types of vinyl though. :(

278d7e64a374de26f==