PDA

View Full Version : Best VSTi Sampler?

MARKEG
14-08-2005, 07:03 PM
I've been using Halion for years, but right now I'm convinced there's gonna be a sampler out there which will do the job better.

Here's the thing. I have all my one-shot samples in different folders. ie hi hats, snares claps etc etc. Now, with Halion, I have all the samples loaded up across the keyboard so I can go through them and find the ones I like whilst the track is playing. But this is annoying cause if there's nothing I like I have to load the next bank and then off we go again.

Surely there's a sampler out there which has a better way to audition the samples in my folders whilst the track is playing??? Something that like opens up something where I flick through all my one shots using the up and down arrows on the computer and it immediately puts them on the same key/keys on the keyboard.

Any ideas anyone??

fatcollective
14-08-2005, 08:20 PM
try getting hold of Kontact 2.

TechMouse
15-08-2005, 10:22 AM
Battery?

If you're only using one-shots etc. then it's the tits.

Past that, yeah, look into Kontakt.

Scott Kemix
15-08-2005, 11:04 AM
As above - Battery 2 or Kontakt 2, these will do most things and more.

Oxen Blank
15-08-2005, 12:51 PM
Kontakt 2!!

BloodStar
15-08-2005, 03:41 PM
Kontakt,, 4me,.,but have to say,,i had some serious problems,,with Kontakt, 1.5 ,.hope it will be better on ver.2

rounser
16-08-2005, 04:56 AM
Might want to try fxpansion GURU; apparently what you're looking for is one of it's main fortes:

IMO, apart from the quick editing options, there's two major things in Guru which, especially in combination, make this a kickass tool:
- You can preview drum patterns in realtime/hostsynced. No dragging of MIDI files into your host required, just to see what they'll sound like. You preview them from the browser, which is very convenient. And you can allways go back to the previously loaded pattern, shouldn't you be happy.
- You can preview a variety of sound sources in realtime too. This goes for individual samples, complete kits and "extracted loop content" - the latter being an incredible source of inspiration.
And more specifically, this:

When I saw the locking slots bit so you could load another kit for the unlocked slots... damn! So simple yet SO important to your workflow.

EDIT: Wow. Feed a breakbeat or house loop into this thing and it automatically chops it up, envelopes it and assigns it to pads. It even tries to detect what's probably a kick, snare or hat... :shock:

Kevin Gorman
16-08-2005, 05:32 AM
I use Battery 1 and 2.

distek
16-08-2005, 02:08 PM
Kontakt 2 is a must m8!!

John Vella
16-08-2005, 03:55 PM
Hmm I use Battery but I'm not even sure if you can just swap samples whilst everything is still playing with a simple keystroke.

I'll make it a point to check that when I get back on it though.

TechMouse
16-08-2005, 04:02 PM
Hmm I use Battery but I'm not even sure if you can just swap samples whilst everything is still playing with a simple keystroke.

I'll make it a point to check that when I get back on it though.

You can definitely drop new samples into it while it's going.

It would be good to have more of an "audition" function though.

benzene
16-08-2005, 04:57 PM
Depending on the setup you have, Reason has a nice interface for its NN-19 sampler ... You can choose to load a .wav, and then scroll through your one-shots in the 'choose file' dialogue ... with it set to auto-play them as you scroll through.

All you need now is a wireless keyboard and you can sit back hitting the down-arrow while your track is looping until you find something you like :)

It falls over a bit on large file-size samples though.

MARKEG
16-08-2005, 07:26 PM
right EXCELLENT. three things to try here. will report back with the results!!!

John Ferraris
16-08-2005, 09:43 PM
I must say I'm a recent convert to the kontakt camp. I just couldn't see the hype over a sampler... One dedicated session with it and it opened up so many creative possibilities :love:

inigo kennedy
19-08-2005, 07:58 PM
Mark, give Shortcircuit (http://www.vemberaudio.com/products.php) a look too. Less hype and gloss, more solid, minimal, deep and in a word inspirational. Great for setting up and even better for messing around with percussion samples. Really easy to do on the fly sample replacement with in-place auditioning too. To check it out there's a free version (simply limited to two note polyphony) - worth having in the arsenal anyway!

Inigo

audioinjection
20-08-2005, 08:21 PM
anyone have experience with the motu machfive??

that looks like a great tool, but if its worth it?

lau
21-08-2005, 03:48 PM
Mark, give Shortcircuit (http://www.vemberaudio.com/products.php) a look too. Less hype and gloss, more solid, minimal, deep and in a word inspirational. Great for setting up and even better for messing around with percussion samples. Really easy to do on the fly sample replacement with in-place auditioning too. To check it out there's a free version (simply limited to two note polyphony) - worth having in the arsenal anyway!

Inigo

This one is dope..!!! exactly what I was looking for.... simple but effective..

inigo kennedy
21-08-2005, 04:22 PM
This one is dope..!!! exactly what I was looking for.... simple but effective..
Sure is. I did this (http://www.audiobulb.co.uk/rootofsine/AudiobulbRecords-ros33-inigo_kennedy-nyquist_ditty.mp3) track with nothing but Shortcircuit (hosted in energyXT) and a sine wave. I'm beta testing a new synth for the developer at the moment and it's a good one too :-)

lau
21-08-2005, 05:33 PM
Sure is. I did this (http://www.audiobulb.co.uk/rootofsine/AudiobulbRecords-ros33-inigo_kennedy-nyquist_ditty.mp3) track with nothing but Shortcircuit (hosted in energyXT) and a sine wave. I'm beta testing a new synth for the developer at the moment and it's a good one too :-)

:shock:

lol I wont be able to do THAT with it... tho its still really usefull for me :lol:

tnx man!

The Divide
22-08-2005, 04:07 AM
Battery 1 and 2 all the way :twisted:

278d7e64a374de26f==