PDA

View Full Version : digital djs

detfella
15-08-2005, 04:45 PM
http://www.digitaldj.co.uk/paris/digitaldj_home.asp

app they are going to be making examples of people that aren't buying the licenses and playing clubs!!

TechMouse
15-08-2005, 04:47 PM
Is this going to be approved by all dance music labels then?

Don't really see this working.

G-whizz
15-08-2005, 04:58 PM
sounds like a money making scam to me!

TechMouse
15-08-2005, 05:00 PM
I dunno about scam...

Well-intentioned yet half-baked concept, possibly...

G-whizz
15-08-2005, 05:07 PM
I dunno about scam...

Well-intentioned yet half-baked concept, possibly...

Well yeah! that was just my cut down version :lol:

G-whizz
15-08-2005, 05:10 PM
At least you can buy the licence on it's own.
Not that any landlord I know would care about it!

Joseph Isaac
15-08-2005, 05:41 PM
I don't know...I call bulshevick on this...

reality
15-08-2005, 09:42 PM
Dont like it imo

kinda like the ipod mixer...fake ass shit..

1 price for 20000 songs makes the rest of us that spent massive amounts of money on music pee-ons..

g
16-08-2005, 05:53 PM
ok, "l·i·c·e·n·c·e" isn't technically wrong but 99% of the time it's spelled "l·i·c·e·n·s·e". so this site bothers me. damnit.
:evil:

TechMouse
17-08-2005, 08:51 AM
ok, "l·i·c·e·n·c·e" isn't technically wrong but 99% of the time it's spelled "l·i·c·e·n·s·e". so this site bothers me. damnit.
:evil:
Think you'll find that licence is the accurate English spelling.

http://www3.telus.net/linguisticsissues/BritishCanadianAmerican.htm

Jesus, even the Canadians get this one right...

g
17-08-2005, 05:53 PM
hence not technically wrong. and what makes you think i'm not canadian? colour. eh.

TechMouse
18-08-2005, 09:08 AM
hence not technically wrong. and what makes you think i'm not canadian? colour. eh.
Location: USA was what I was going on, though I conceed it's not 100% reliable.

... and lets not get into the right / wrong English argument because we will always win.

g
18-08-2005, 06:04 PM
....you of course meant "concede", right?

:lol:

TechMouse
19-08-2005, 08:53 AM
....you of course meant "concede", right?

:lol:

Bollocks.

detfella
13-01-2006, 08:26 PM
more news about this today....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4609378.stm

rhythmtech
13-01-2006, 08:33 PM
im sorry this is horseshit. i pay for my downloads and i'll play them wherever i want! just watch someone twat try stop me mid set. i'm not violent but i can envisage a disturbing laptop/rectal insertion. f u c k i n g twats.

DJ Becka
16-01-2006, 05:16 PM
Heh.....this is such bullshit. I'm reading the FAQs on the site and they are saying that even playing vinyl out in public is illegal? WTF!!! Ok, so why not go after every single dj that has ever played in a club? It was never a problem before - so all of a sudden, NOW it's a problem? And I'm sorry - I bought my vinyl - I am digitizing it because I cannot take it all with me when I move to Spain - so if these people have something to say about it, they can bite me - I legally payed for my music - I'm gonna play it out -I dont need a stupid license to give me permission to play something I already payed for - they can go f' themselves.

DJ Becka
16-01-2006, 05:20 PM
And another thing.....what if you have friends that give you promos of their stuff? I get promos from some labels and producer friends for the purpose of playing out - stuff that eventually gets released - so that is now illegal too? Again, PPL can go f' themselves......god damn money grubbers.......

TechMouse
16-01-2006, 05:28 PM
I can see so many legal cases stretching off in to the distance, really...

rhythmtech
16-01-2006, 05:46 PM
but the thing is.. if you're playing the latest drumworx from a laptop... how are they gonna know what it is? due you have to pay a fee to play your own stuff? will they impound laptops?

"we want the laptops back before we attack"

dirty_bass
16-01-2006, 06:47 PM
This is total ass on many levels.
1. A venue pays it`s own public performance license which then goes some way to filling the pockets of PPL.
every DJ is supposed to actually record what they have played that night on paper and then give this to PPL who then reinburse the relevant labels.
2. Very few techno labels are registered with PPL, so it`s doubtful the money you pay for your digital license will actually be recompensating the labels you are playing anyway. you`ll find that a lot of it ends up in the pocket of people like simon cowell and the other big labels.

This is just another bit of pressure from the majors who want your money because they think they are entitled to it regardless if you buy their records or not.
Where did they come up with the 200 quid figure? Did they consult the vast DJ community at all?
Do they even understand the scene in any way, or is it just finance people making these dumb decisions?
What about free tracks?
What about digital promo`s you have been given by X producer?
How will they enforce this?
What about Ableton PA`s? I`ve heard that they count as Digital DJing
The only way to really combat this is EVERYBODY register your techno labels with PPL now. That would really piss them off.

I know for certain if some PPL dope came up to me after I`d Just spent ages packing away my kit at the end of a set, and then askes to look through my PC, the stare I give him alone would be enough to make him run.

DJ Becka
16-01-2006, 07:06 PM
I know for certain if some PPL dope came up to me after I`d Just spent ages packing away my kit at the end of a set, and then askes to look through my PC, the stare I give him alone would be enough to make him run.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

TechMouse
17-01-2006, 01:24 AM
This is just another bit of pressure from the majors who want your money because they think they are entitled to it regardless if you buy their records or not.
Where did they come up with the 200 quid figure? Did they consult the vast DJ community at all?
Do they even understand the scene in any way, or is it just finance people making these dumb decisions?
What about free tracks?
What about Ableton PA`s? I`ve heard that they count as Digital DJing.
I think it's quite obvious that this licence has been concieved with "wedding DJs" in mind, but will be enforced across the board to maximise revenue. If they can get away with it.

That said, I don't think it will take much more than a couple of test cases for the whole concept to be taken apart in court by any competent IP lawyer.

dan the acid man
17-01-2006, 03:17 AM
What about free tracks?
What about Ableton PA`s? I`ve heard that they count as Digital DJing.
I think it's quite obvious that this licence has been concieved with "wedding DJs" in mind, but will be enforced across the board to maximise revenue. If they can get away with it.

That said, I don't think it will take much more than a couple of test cases for the whole concept to be taken apart in court by any competent IP lawyer.

it's still laughable

The Overfiend
17-01-2006, 05:30 AM

http://img173.echo.cx/img173/4150/o08ug.gif

You want me to do what?

dirty_bass
17-01-2006, 05:50 AM
more like this.
I`d need to be held back.
http://www.thegeordieconnection.com/yourphotos/pics33.jpg
"Phone the ambulance now dave, I just need to speak to this licensing gentleman"

Jay Pace
17-01-2006, 02:30 PM
Mr Leathem said the licences were intended to make life easier for DJs, who could buy a single licence instead of having to contact the individual copyright owner of each track for permission.

Ha. Ha. Ha.

Yeah, that pisses me off no end. Having to ring up everyone whose record I intend to play and asking their permission.
This is going to make my life so much easier.

What a tool.

dan the acid man
17-01-2006, 02:58 PM
Mr Leathem said the licences were intended to make life easier for DJs, who could buy a single licence instead of having to contact the individual copyright owner of each track for permission.

Ha. Ha. Ha.

Yeah, that pisses me off no end. Having to ring up everyone whose record I intend to play and asking their permission.
This is going to make my life so much easier.

What a tool.

i know, its a bugger ringing all the producers for permission to play their tracks, especially when you change your mind on what you're going to play at the last minute, so mid set, you're franticly trying to ring them at 3am when they're playing a set somewhere too :lol: :lol:

haha, do these people live in the real world

278d7e64a374de26f==