PDA

View Full Version : 3 of my "works in progress" please have a listen a

Dave Elyzium
30-06-2003, 12:22 AM
here are 3 links to some tracks I am working on (2 minutes or so of each), Execute and New Beginnings are mid paced (145ish bpm) techy hard trancers whilst 10 Percent Pulse is a fast (155bpm) hard trancer, a bit ravier....

Would love to hear your opinions on these so I can improve them!!
The links are small (1 - 2 mb's) so wont take long to download!!!

ftp://elyzium:ftp@213.123.198.254/Execute%20(in%20progress).mp3
ftp://elyzium:ftp@213.123.198.254/New%20Beginnings.mp3
ftp://elyzium:ftp@213.123.198.254/10%20Percent%20Pulse.mp3

hope you can spare time to take a listen!!!!
thanks...
dave

epidemic001
30-06-2003, 07:29 PM
Just had a quick listen to 10 percent pulse, this is sounding like another great tune from you. Couple of niggles about it though -

the kick sounds a little bit to weak, needs beefing up slightly to me.

Just a thought, on the breakdown I would have liked to have heard the beats start up again where the riff goes back up, sounds like that should be the natural point to me. U could still keep the drum roll in over the kick - if that makes sense?

epidemic001
30-06-2003, 07:30 PM
in fact after listening again, the kick doesnt sound to bad actually.

Dave Elyzium
30-06-2003, 07:57 PM
Thanks mate...

You're the second person to say the kick needs beefing up ..think i better feed it some steroids and have another go!!!! now where did i put that GHB?.............

epidemic001
30-06-2003, 08:37 PM
It only needs a slight tickle with the steroid stick though

dont over do it all you'll have to buy it a new shirt :?

djTequila
01-07-2003, 10:58 AM
Nice!

:D

New beginnings:

Lovely, crunchy synth - I very much like the high-end detail on the sound. I'd be tempted to add a little movement to it so as to avoid 'loop fatigue' in the listener - it sounds like the kind of noise a phaser or chorus could really get its teeth into - but it's quite bassy, so this could cause phasing issues. :/

I can't hear a specific bassline, but I'm at work monitoring on crappy £7 headphones. ;)

Good clarity. Good energy. Good groove. Great sounds. I'll be very interested in hearing the final version.

Execute:

Mmmm... Nice and cavernous without feeling too distant. Again, my cans don't seem to be going far enough into the bass, so I can't comment on clarity. The rest is simply very good hard trance. Tough and military... wicked grating synth sounds and little snare rolls. Not the kind of stuff I play, but I own a fair bit ;)

Again, I'll be interested in hearing the end result.

10% Pulse:

Everything's wicked apart from the tune, which is a little bit broken (to me). The first section really reminds me of something - probably along the lines of Candyman by Lab 4 (a sound I've always been partial to). It's certainly the right speed!

Try changing the note of the bassline as the tune changes key. Or experiment with some different tunes, or modifications on the current one.

Or just ignore me - it's more a taste thing than anything else, and I know enough people who wouldn't care. ;)

This is good stuff, man! Nice one. :D

Tequila

Dave Elyzium
02-07-2003, 06:55 PM
wow thanks for the in depth response!!!

glad you liked them mate, keep your coments in mind!!!

thanks again

MARKEG
02-07-2003, 08:49 PM
new beginnings is without doubt my fave. i'd play the hell out of this.

it's a really, really good track actually. i'm absolutely 100% sure pulse would be interested in this. perhaps finish it and do another mix too???

djTequila
03-07-2003, 01:01 PM
Have to agree, New Beginnings really hits the spot!

What kit are you using? I've been trying to get that synth sound for ages ;)

Tequila

Dave Elyzium
03-07-2003, 02:16 PM
that track was all done is Reason 1.0 mate...
its dead simple to get the sound using the SubTractor synth...if you want ill send you the patch i used for it...

djTequila
03-07-2003, 03:07 PM
Well shaft me ragged with a garden rake! My inability to make that sound was one of the main reasons I moved away from... er... Reason.

I can see why you're not using the phaser now ;)

I'd love to see the patch. I've had difficulty getting good high-end detail with that synth, and it might help unlock some of the secrets of the slew of VSTIs I've got recently.

I've been throwing myself into sound recording techniques recently, so synth programming has kinda fallen by the wayside. That's about to change I think. ;)

Do you use different programs for effects and processing, or stick completely within Reason? I found I bumped up the quality of my sound no end by re:wiring into Cubase - although I'm finding now that Logic's native effects sound ridiculously good...

And have you thought about getting Reason 2.5? It's worth it for the reverb alone...

Tequila

Dave Elyzium
04-07-2003, 10:04 AM
I'm trying to get my hands on a copy of Reason 2.0 but i dont ocndone the use of warez of course :wink:

ALso I havent managed yet to use ReWire into cubase...the copy of cubase i have is shite anyhow, the sync is all over the place and nothing laods after you save a project....
im doing the long route of recording each instrument in reason as a .wav file and bouncing into Logic Audio 5....

djTequila
04-07-2003, 10:55 AM
You need Cubase SX, if you want easy Reason 2 rewiring. Where are you based? I can send you some 'demo' products for you to try out ;) upload as well, if you have some space.

Reason 2 isn't a problem either.

If you're OK doing it the hard way, Logic is the way to go, I think. The effects are amazing... I'm switching over myself...

I take it you're PC based? If not I can't really help!

Tequila <boa@djtequila.com>

PS. I'm still interested in that Subtractor patch! Oh, and if you get tunes finished and send 'em over, I'll give you feedback based on club system playback A/Bd with vinyl releases. And if it fits my set, crowd feedback from the London underground scene ;)

alpha_unit
05-08-2003, 12:40 PM
treid to downlpoad it but it said password required and thsat 1 didnt work!

278d7e64a374de26f==