PDA

View Full Version : Stuck at loop

gumpy green
18-08-2005, 09:14 AM
ive been messing with producing a fair bit recently but i always seem to be able to make a good loop(well one i like) but taking it further into a track is a bit of a "writers block" for me....

anybody else suffer from this when they started????

any cures?????...lol

Any tips you have would be really helpful, thanks.

Ritzi Lee
18-08-2005, 09:18 AM
yeah i've got a simple one:

don't force it.
take a walk in the park... chill out.

and for the record:
don't think in loops!
you'll always turn into nothing.

rounser
18-08-2005, 12:59 PM
If you're stuck in a loop, you're probably forgetting to think as an arranger.

I've heard advice to find a track you like or you think "builds" well, and copy the arrangement, phrase for phrase (if you can load it up in a multitrack and put your phrases underneath it to "fill in the blanks", alternating between listening to what it's doing and muting it, then so much the better). No-one will ever know or care, and you'll learn heaps from it.

Jay Pace
18-08-2005, 01:53 PM
Ok, here are some tips.

Make a big thick chunky loop that you like.

Now seperate the loop into individual parts, and add some variation into the parts.

Think about the structure of the tune - do you want it to build up slowly, or just kick in straight away? Do you want it to breakdown then kick back in?

Using the various threads in your loop build up an arrangement, taking things away, putting them back and making sure that there is variation enough to keep your listeners attention.

Aim to make about 6 minutes of music. Then imagine how you would want it to be if you were going to mix it with other records. Add some edits, variation and FX and you are set.

Best of luck.

gumpy green
18-08-2005, 04:16 PM
thanks y'all.

anymore tips keep em comin.

:lol:

Starfuqer
18-08-2005, 05:17 PM
yeah i've got a simple one:

don't force it.
take a walk in the park... chill out.

i disagree
Force it
I think production is 90% hardwork 10 % creativity in the beginning
Don't worry about making anything good, just work your ass off

Barely Human
18-08-2005, 05:42 PM
Dont get into the habbit of making a loop sounds good on its own. Quickly get a loop down, and if it grabs ya, quickly plan a track out in your head and work as fast as you can to get all those ideas into the track. Then you can work out the rest later.

I always get a loop going quickly, and before i get bored with it, i make other sections of the track away from that loop. Then i'll work out how to piece em all together and sort out any production issues with them..

278d7e64a374de26f==