PDA

View Full Version : why dont more ladies MAKE techno?

networker
22-08-2005, 11:15 PM
you got to admit the ladies are well out numbered in this department.
i dont mean wanting to be a dj with its associated glamour and obvious bullshit, but setting up a studio and living in it 24-7!! you know. like the lads seem to do. whats the problem? where are they all? why dont they get stuck the f*** into it? surely there should be more of 'em bangin it out!!
so come on then ladies(or fellas with any bright ideas. dont wanna appear sexist here!). what is the reason for this lack of participation
:?:

Sunil
22-08-2005, 11:16 PM
They're too career minded for techno ;)

networker
22-08-2005, 11:45 PM
yeah, but couldn't they could have a career in techno?

Sunil
22-08-2005, 11:52 PM
yeah, but couldn't they could have a career in techno?

Yeah, they could, some do. I guess it comes back to the not-enough-girls-being-into-techno discussions here before. Most of 'em just aren't into it.

Honeey
23-08-2005, 12:10 AM
They are out there :scratch:

Sunil
23-08-2005, 12:11 AM

Not too many though :cry:

networker
23-08-2005, 12:12 AM

i know they are honeey, but they are totally outnumbered :cry:

i was just wondering why. :scratch:

Sunil
23-08-2005, 12:20 AM
http://www.blackoutaudio.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=36955

networker
23-08-2005, 12:30 AM

sorry mate, i was on about gettin girlys on the dance floor jigglin around to gay f***in girly techno.
i am on about ladies makin slammin motherf***in real deal techno :!:
and lots of 'em ;)

networker
23-08-2005, 12:38 AM

sorry mate, i was on about gettin girlys on the dance floor jigglin around to gay f***in girly techno.
and lots of 'em ;)

shit! spot the deliberate mistake! iseem to have missed a NOT out.
try this

sorry mate, i was NOT on about gettin girlys on the dance floor jigglin around to gay f***in girly techno.
and lots of 'em ;)[/quote]

dem spliffs been burnin like a mother 2nite
:lol:

Komplex
23-08-2005, 12:56 AM
why don't more men become flight attendants?

Honeey
23-08-2005, 12:57 AM

i know they are honeey, but they are totally outnumbered :cry:

i was just wondering why. :scratch:

Yes they are out numbered and it's too bad!

Damn fun getting lost in the production :)

Back when I started Djing in 1989 there were VERY few female Djs but that has changed somewhat.
I am hoping production will be the same :)

networker
23-08-2005, 01:36 AM
wow, you must be a shit hot dj honey if you been spinnin since 1989.
what kind of stuff are you playin now?

dan the acid man
23-08-2005, 02:30 AM

haha :lol:

and networker, when you want to quote someone, just press the quote button on their post :doh:

networker
23-08-2005, 02:44 AM

haha :lol:

and networker, when you want to quote someone, just press the quote button on their post :doh:

thanx for tip bro . as you can see i'm a new geezer to the forum action, but its sweet as pickin up the vibe off you lot.

g
23-08-2005, 05:20 AM
mp3.. women in techno... networker please make sure you make your next thread about jeff mills

Ritzi Lee
23-08-2005, 07:20 AM
In Holland we have ladies like Shinedoe and Estroe making nice funky techno stuff..

RDR
23-08-2005, 10:07 AM
Yeah man networker, that quote thing is driving me mad.

massplanck
23-08-2005, 10:18 AM

PML!

networker
23-08-2005, 11:10 AM
maybe the blokes are more willing to sacriface everything for nothing :rambo:

TechMouse
23-08-2005, 11:13 AM

...or maybe the music industry is still essentially male dominated - however much we might like to think that it's not - and it's much harder for women to be taken seriously as musical artists, and hence find themselves relegated to the "eye candy" bench all too often.

DJ Becka
23-08-2005, 04:05 PM

DING DING DING DING!!!

You've just answered the million dollar question!!! :lol:

Seriously, I am starting to get into production, but sometimes it's just hard making time to sit down and really work on music....I sit in front of a computer all day at my job-the last thing I feel like doing when I get home is sitting in front of the computer again for another 2,3,4 hours......

That's slowly beginning to change though ;)

anx
23-08-2005, 05:22 PM

DING DING DING DING!!!

You've just answered the million dollar question!!! :lol:

Seriously, I am starting to get into production, but sometimes it's just hard making time to sit down and really work on music....I sit in front of a computer all day at my job-the last thing I feel like doing when I get home is sitting in front of the computer again for another 2,3,4 hours......

thats exactly what i am going through, to a T
has nothing to do with gender tho...

DJ Becka
24-08-2005, 03:48 AM
thats exactly what i am going through, to a T
has nothing to do with gender tho...

Yea....me getting into production has nothing to do with gender either.....I'm doing it because I love music and want to make my own....

I love djing, but it's time to take the next step ;)

tocsin
24-08-2005, 03:53 AM
I love djing, but it's time to take the next step ;)

Hehe. Consider it a separate step. Watch the passiv resentmnt you'll get locally for having music out. I wish I was kidding.

TechMouse
24-08-2005, 09:48 AM

That's hardly exclusive to women...

djshiva
25-08-2005, 04:13 AM

...or maybe the music industry is still essentially male dominated - however much we might like to think that it's not - and it's much harder for women to be taken seriously as musical artists, and hence find themselves relegated to the "eye candy" bench all too often.

nice. for once, i didn't have to say this myself! :)

to techmouse: women have been sacrificing themselves for nothing for a loooooong time my friend...at least doing music, i get some neat noises out of it! ;)

djshiva
25-08-2005, 04:17 AM
an addendum: the one nice thing i have found in the techno community (both online and in my region), however male dominated it still is, is a fantastic supportive bunch willing to really offer advice, tech support, and share nifty samples!

although there are still some weird sexist attitudes in the music biz, i find less of that amongst my techno boys. and while i have run into the occasional odd homophobic BS too, for the most part, my techno brethren are refreshingly non-assumptive/judgemental. there is hope for us yet... ;) :)

The Overfiend
25-08-2005, 07:13 AM
Homophobia in dance music?
I just busted a spacely sprocket.

TechMouse
25-08-2005, 09:48 AM
to techmouse: women have been sacrificing themselves for nothing for a loooooong time my friend...at least doing music, i get some neat noises out of it! ;)
Oh, I know ;)

We had Esther Ofei playing up here not long back.

Quality.

Oh yeah, and my girlfriend DJs too.

In fact, "our" decks are actually her decks.

The Overfiend
25-08-2005, 10:10 AM
get a job :lol:

TechMouse
25-08-2005, 10:50 AM
get a job :lol:
http://freehandbag.oasis-design.com/kate.gif

RDR
25-08-2005, 10:58 AM
Oh, I know ;)

Quality.

Yeah man, she's coming up to pure techno beginning of next month, her second visit and i cant praise her enough. A stand-up professional artist, a pleasure to listen to and funny as **** to chat with.

:clap: to the laydeez cuttin a swathe out there- good on ya gels!

djshiva
25-08-2005, 06:49 PM
Oh, I know ;)

Quality.

tell yer girl to drop in and say hi. wanna meet more techno women. i need to know where mah sistas at... :)

DJ Becka
25-08-2005, 06:56 PM
an addendum: the one nice thing i have found in the techno community (both online and in my region), however male dominated it still is, is a fantastic supportive bunch willing to really offer advice, tech support, and share nifty samples!

although there are still some weird sexist attitudes in the music biz, i find less of that amongst my techno boys. and while i have run into the occasional odd homophobic BS too, for the most part, my techno brethren are refreshingly non-assumptive/judgemental. there is hope for us yet... ;) :)

For the most part, I agree, most people I meet in the industry are very supportive, but I still get the occassional 'Oh, you dj? That's cute'.....wtf!!!

cute? CUTE??????? There's nothing cute about it-I take my s**t seriously.....beotch :twisted:

MARKEG
25-08-2005, 06:58 PM
cute? CUTE??????? There's nothing cute about it-I take my s**t seriously.....beotch :twisted:

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Will
25-08-2005, 07:12 PM
For the most part, I agree, most people I meet in the industry are very supportive, but I still get the occassional 'Oh, you dj? That's cute'.....wtf!!!

How cute. ;)

tocsin
25-08-2005, 08:01 PM
When it comes to studio work, I've often wondered how many possible female artists ther emight be who simply aren't recognized as such due to androgyny in names. For example, I work on terrorcore with a female that goes as "T-Bone." Nobody would be able to infer sex through looking at any releases. They'd have to know her. Sexism exists in techno just as much as anywhere else so, frankly, I could see people not divesting that info if they didn't need too. Nobody I've dealt with has ever asked me for a "picture" to go along with what I was doing. But, that's not the case for any female I know that produces for the most part. Some humor it, some don't.

Hell, even when real names are used, they could be confusing. Liza N Eliaz. Male or female? How about Lee Newman?

278d7e64a374de26f==