PDA

View Full Version : Best way to finish a night?

eyes without a face
29-08-2005, 11:19 AM
been thinking about something a mate said a few weeks back about the way Dj's who are on last finish up, the normal being a relentless, full on techno assault as it were, when im playing last i tend to play quite tough but keep it funky and dont get silly with bpms, i dont like particulary like fast techno anyway so thats never a problem, but i know some guys who really like to bring it down and play alot of deeper stuff, the overal defence being either let the punters leave sweating, red faced, totally knackered after 2 hours of the tough stuff, or let them leave with their breath, not so red in the face, and with a few more "oh remember that track" memories instilled in their minds, or whats left of them

interesting topic i thought, discuss!

daviec
29-08-2005, 11:57 AM
I've thought about this quite a few times with regards to the night we run in Glasgow. It's a tough one. I've never really believed that as the night progress it needs to get faster and harder as such. A bit more twisted and hed-fuk can be just as good.

I suppose it depends when the night finishes as well. If it's an all nighter I think the hardest sets should defo not be kept for the end.

holotropik
29-08-2005, 12:01 PM
Always a tricky topic.

We sit around talking about this one for ages whenever we run an event. What we found is that it most important for the last DJ/Act to be around for a majority of the party. Reason being that they get a good feel for the vibe and can structure a good end.

It really depends on the energy of the whole event.

Generally, I find that minimalistic or simplistic stuff goes down well (be it hard or funky). The overall structure of tunes at the end can be simpler and still attractive. Bringing the BPMs down a bit does help.

Observation shows that peeps tend to start lounging, chatting, snoggin at the end and are just happy to swan around grinnin and taking it all in.

I have been to a few events where it was full tilt up to the end which is also good because its awesome when the sound suddenly stops and there is just relative silence (after the cheering) and people wander out into the daylight still flying.....

dan the acid man
29-08-2005, 12:11 PM
by being sick........................oh, right, thats not what you mean :doh:

i nearly always structure my sets the same, start funkyish go harder, maybe bring it down again then harder again, sometimes this changes, depending on various things, but i nearly always like to end on a deeper more thoughtful track.

Fordy
29-08-2005, 12:59 PM
Really depends on the night and how your feeling. Stupidly hard distorted noise just pisses me off and I feel disinterested, well tbf anything schranz related I cant stand any of the time. But other times a build up into a final hour or so of good hard techno works a treat.

But id probably say minimal, trippy, funky, clicky stuff works best for me, just sends you off nicely. I remember sims & finke at sankeys in feb playing loads of acidy ghetto sh*t and that again worked well.

In reality the majority of people in the club are getting tired and worn out towards the end of the night, for me the best thing to hear is something a little warmer, either trippy or something abit more party orientated.

killarava2day
29-08-2005, 01:41 PM
I haven't actually heard this at a party as such, but some Henze mixed with Henze down tempo can really generate a deep and hypnotic sound. Torwards the end of the night you are certainly more at will to have your head mashed by most things but this sound can by surprise to most, take the cake in turning brains to mincemeat.

Sunil
29-08-2005, 01:46 PM
It kinda depends when the club starts and finishes. Our clubs close at 3 a.m. or earlier, and a lot of the crowd might have only been in for 2 or 3 hours by that stage. It would make little sense to ease up for the last 45 mins or hour in this kind of scenario, however if you're talking free parties or longer running events then I think it's good to bring it down towards the end... in many ways it's the natural thing to do. I've noticed that promoters or organisers will often program their events like this, with the really banging stuff going until 5 or 6 a.m. and the last few hours seeing a bit more of a drop, depends what country you're in though :)

If it's outdoor it's nice to let your head groove a bit, or for the music to be less banging or intense when the sun's coming up. It really depends on the night I suppose, every party or crew may be different or have a different appetite towards their music. The best sets I've heard end a night though (i.e. 7 or 8 a.m.) were old skool sets, or something a bit housier.

Good topic btw.

BloodStar
29-08-2005, 01:58 PM
i think, it's no problem put down BPM little bit, and playing more deep stuff.. the best show i've heard in the morning was a live set from Alexander Kowalski,. it was awesome. and i'm also reminding a crazy set from japanese Toby Izui,it was also cool end of party..
u will see on people, what they want :rambo:

Sunil
29-08-2005, 02:11 PM
and with a few more "oh remember that track" memories instilled in their minds, or whats left of them

Well I think that should apply to any night alright, punters should be able to ask themselves "What was that?" or "that was a nice one they finished with". Agree with you completely there. It's an issue I have with nights in general these days, not enough DJs digging deep enough to play something a little different to the rest or a track from yesteryear that still sounds amazing... this particularly applies to many of the international DJs.
That's part of the reason I enjoyed Surgeon's set so much the other night, because it was littered with so many true quality techno gems, while still being forward thinking and not being over nostalgic.

slavestudios
29-08-2005, 02:18 PM
i used to finish sets with a new accapella from a chart record over something like Crispy Bacon...

used to put Eminem & Dre's 'Forgot About Dre' over stuff like Answering Machine & Spastik & such..

or drop something totally enexpected like Barry White of the back of a Speedy J track.

Nirvana's 'Negative Creep' has gone done oh so well in the past... or 'Sin' by NIN...

jus do something :cool: i hate djs that leave a loop record playing for the last 5 minutes :doh:

AcidTrash
29-08-2005, 02:46 PM
KIL KILL KILL!!! IF there aren't people limping out with badages then it was a sh*t night.

MITA
29-08-2005, 03:41 PM
i personally like do down it as the end comes.with some tricky ripoffs.
but then somethimes crowd just wants hard banging stuff till end.so thats what they get
FLAVOR

been thinking about something a mate said a few weeks back about the way Dj's who are on last finish up, the normal being a relentless, full on techno assault as it were, when im playing last i tend to play quite tough but keep it funky and dont get silly with bpms, i dont like particulary like fast techno anyway so thats never a problem, but i know some guys who really like to bring it down and play alot of deeper stuff, the overal defence being either let the punters leave sweating, red faced, totally knackered after 2 hours of the tough stuff, or let them leave with their breath, not so red in the face, and with a few more "oh remember that track" memories instilled in their minds, or whats left of them

interesting topic i thought, discuss!

Stella Boy
29-08-2005, 03:56 PM
Jaguar every time :dance: :bash:

The Divide
29-08-2005, 04:33 PM
Something on Industrial Strength

Or something really hard with a killer riff or hook

Please dont give me shranze or anything too minima

Mindful
29-08-2005, 04:56 PM
Slow and deep for me

conflict
29-08-2005, 04:57 PM
Something on Industrial Strength

Or something really hard with a killer riff or hook

Please dont give me shranze or anything too minima

unleash the brutality by DOA would do the trick

koma
29-08-2005, 05:20 PM
unleash the brutality by DOA would do the trick

or "DJ Assf**ker" hehe

hah, it all depends on my mood.. sometimes I like for a party to finish banging, sometimes more melodic, deep.. as I read in some record reviews, 4 a.m. techno...

stjohn
29-08-2005, 06:09 PM
if the boucers allow an encore (irish ones tend not to) you could bring it deeper towards the end, stop the music, then top it off with a belter.....

Heroes
29-08-2005, 06:11 PM
i finnished my gig in NYC with a ripped up rmx of jimi hendrix's star spangled banner, hehehe the faces oooh the faces........

koma
29-08-2005, 06:15 PM
Our clubs close at 3 a.m. or earlier.

huh really? :eh:
most of the peeps here come in the club around 1-2, although the doors are open at 22/23..
thats why they usually scream at 6/7 a.m. "more, come on, play one moooreee"...

stjohn
29-08-2005, 06:40 PM
i finnished my gig in NYC with a ripped up rmx of jimi hendrix's star spangled banner, hehehe the faces oooh the faces........

werent tempted by Ultrasonic - star spangled tekno then?

stjohn
29-08-2005, 06:54 PM

most of the peeps here come in the club around 1-2, although the doors are open at 22/23..

Ireland has alot of growing up to do. clubs close very early and drink is ridiculously expensive.

travelling around europe you get to see how bad it is. clubs in mid-europe all go onto about 6, and even then, its not hard to find an afterhours club, if your in a big city.

how is it in the UK????

slavestudios
29-08-2005, 07:10 PM

Ireland has alot of growing up to do. clubs close very early and drink is ridiculously expensive.

travelling around europe you get to see how bad it is. clubs in mid-europe all go onto about 6, and even then, its not hard to find an afterhours club, if your in a big city.

how is it in the UK????

cant speak for the mainland, but Norhtern Ireland is dead... no techno scene here at all..

audioinjection
29-08-2005, 07:22 PM
most clubs i've done closing sets usually ask for more mellow sets.....so i would usually spin some deeper, funky or even minimal techno, most people are tired toward the end of the night and dont wanna hear really hard stuff i assume

Stella Boy
29-08-2005, 07:34 PM
I love hearing it deep, dark and twisted mixed up with some electro.

massplanck
29-08-2005, 07:35 PM
Everyone should stand for the National Anthem at the end of the night.

dirty_bass
29-08-2005, 07:42 PM
Generally, to try and keep it as quick and as simple as possible.
I go for a chin raising upper cut, or a close-in knee to the chin.
Get the head in the air, and then knock em down with a sweeping reverse elbow.
Not many people get up after that as a rule.
If they do then I shit myself.

Oh, finish a NIGHT...
Ah, well, I like to play something that makes people feel good. Something uplifting and energetic. Leave em in high sprits.

every techno DJ under the sun always tries to go as hard as possible, to drive em into the ground, and these days, it`s an unwinable competition.

Stella Boy
29-08-2005, 07:48 PM

you're lucky if half the club can remember their own name at the end of the night, never mind singing their national anthem.

UngratefulNinja
29-08-2005, 07:56 PM
Maybe someone needs to do a rip off rmx of the 'national anthem' they play at the bar before the club in Human Traffic?

I think that would def throw the :shock: people for a loop. At least in the UK :lol:

But on topic, I prefer to end the night with something slower, funkier, more 'interesting' and def on an upbeat note. A mellow set with a couple of funky rip offs to catch people's attention could def work well.

The Overfiend
29-08-2005, 09:36 PM
Ended a night with the Pattern Play with the yellow writing on it with the laidback luke remix on missle before it.
left a whole bunch of hip hop heads who hated techno with a ****in smile on their face.

Traxx
29-08-2005, 10:47 PM
Its simple to me. You’ve gotta keep the mood going that those before have made, so, if its been getting boomed out there’s no point imo going on last & playing a load of chin stroking gear because it kills it off big time. Happened after dc went on after pet duo (?) at ILT last year, emptied pronto. Thought it died after he went on after rush a few months back at voodoo (plenty wont agree id imagine).

The same happened when Monika Kruse went on last at GG a few months ago, the few people that were still in there (considering the size of the tent) quickly left or went for a kip round the side of the tent when she started playing it deep. Was looking forward to seeing her play as well.

Jay Pace
31-08-2005, 12:26 AM

That would be brilliant.

My friend plays a warped version of the grange hill theme tune at then end of our night. Leaves people in a frivolous mood. Fun.

detfella
31-08-2005, 12:43 AM
i've always thought...my ideal end of night would be when the dj passes round joints for everyone and plays some heavy dub music and everyone just bobs about for abit

Traxx
31-08-2005, 12:46 AM
Hahah not a bad idea :lol:

detfella
31-08-2005, 12:46 AM

you sit down for the most of the night then ? :lol:

xfive
31-08-2005, 12:47 AM
i've always thought...my ideal end of night would be when the dj passes round joints for everyone and plays some heavy dub music and everyone just bobs about for abit

hahaha

sounds great

278d7e64a374de26f==