PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Mills @ Lost...

Jay Pace
31-08-2005, 12:31 AM
Sort it out mate :eh:

Anyone else catch this? Excellent night, but trainwreck after trainwreck.

Been going to Lost for years, and never heard that before. Jeff's one of my faves. Maybe he was tired....

Oliver Ho was excellent, as were Spirit. Bit pacey for me mind.

SE1 needs new speakers. And the club smelled of sick

But...

Still the best night out in London IMO. Such fun, such fun, such fun.

:shock:

dirty_bass
31-08-2005, 01:17 AM
Yeah, ho was top.
Spirit were ok, 2 man PA doing the Job of a one man PA in my opinion.
2 guys standing about with not enough to do.
Bicknell sucked.
Really really sucked.
Boring tunes, played end to end (and badly at that) like a really bas trance DJ.

Mills was on top form. I was straight bar some tequila, and noticed a few little slips here and there, but it wasn`t wreck after wreck.

He was on form. Very very clever mixing, really inventive choice of tunes that complimented each other as he built up these fantastic melodies out of various tunes. controlled the dancefloor well, paced well, really banged when it needed to, took it really minimal when needed. It was great. I`ve seen him at his best and at his worst, and this was a good night. The shear amount of vinyl he got through is phenominal considering there were no huge leaps in style that made you fall over, yet the variety was there.
Lots of tunes with complex polyrhythmic elements that must of been hectic to mix on 3 decks, but works so well.
No silly tricks, just very very good, rapid tune selection, mixed exactly when they needed to be (with a few slip ups).
I was always in 2 miinds about mills, but I think I`ve developed respect for the man.

He is a valuable champion for techno and isn`t afraid of taking risks in the mix, and doesn`t compromise.
So fair play to the man, he deserves what he`s got.

Just wish for once
JUST ONCE
JUST ****ING ONCE.
he would do a set without playing the bells.

Soundsystem was a bit wack.
Heavily limited, and the sound guy still had to keep running to the decks and hassling the DJ`s. Bottom end seemed poorly EQ`d and bad crossover points, as the kicks weren`t really getting through properly.
Mid range was a bit muddy too.

It was a decent rig, and there was enough of it, and you may say I am being picky.
But for 16.50 a ticket, I expect a damn good soundsystem, being run properly. We could supply an amazing rig run properly for probably half the money that lost paid for theirs, so there is no excuse.
Where is the money going?

Dub room was poo. How can you play dub on what were essentially booth monitors?
It`s Dub.
Without the bass, it`s pointless.

So overall.

Good Venue.
Loads of proper techno lovers (it is londons biggest techno party)
Average but large soundsystem, crap dub soundsystem
Mostly good DJ`s and music.
Poor lightshow.
Overall a good night, that would be miles better without Bicknell. (who unfortunately runs lost).

g
31-08-2005, 05:19 AM
if i had a dime for every time i'd heard two or more *vastly* differing reports of Mills on a given night... fwiw he does seem to have a consistent needs-to-warm-up period these days.

at least the bicknell reviews are always consistent. :doh:

eyes without a face
31-08-2005, 09:05 AM
i remember i actually fell asleep the first time i saw Bicknell, straight up

The Overfiend
31-08-2005, 09:13 AM
Mills is legendary.

Jay Pace
31-08-2005, 09:44 AM
For someone who has been in the game for over a decade Bicknell is suprisingly bad. You would have thought he might have picked up some ideas or skills from all the people he has played with over the years, but no.

In terms of his set and the structure Mills was excellent. Beautiful range of tunes. But it seemed like everytime he tried to do something complicated on three decks involving polyrythms it all went horribly wrong.

I'm not Mills bashing. He's one of my heroes. But there were more than a few moments which left me and the people around me looking at each other and wincing.

Still, a cracking night. Best crowd in London.

dirty_bass
31-08-2005, 10:08 AM
For someone who has been in the game for over a decade Bicknell is suprisingly bad. You would have thought he might have picked up some ideas or skills from all the people he has played with over the years, but no.

In terms of his set and the structure Mills was excellent. Beautiful range of tunes. But it seemed like everytime he tried to do something complicated on three decks involving polyrythms it all went horribly wrong.

I'm not Mills bashing. He's one of my heroes. But there were more than a few moments which left me and the people around me looking at each other and wincing.

Still, a cracking night. Best crowd in London.

yeah, but he gets it back in quick so it`s not like you are standing there for 3 mins dancing to clatter

was a good crowd

I just wish there was a littl emore variety in the general music and DJ rotation you get at Lost

Jay Pace
31-08-2005, 10:30 AM
Gutted i missed AFX & Hawtin a few years back. That sounded an inspired line up.

I really used to like the east india docks venue. And the speakers there were flown and sounded better. The Rockit was a great venue as well.

Its a tricky one regarding rotation. I suspect that they are afraid of booking anyone less established as they might not bring in the crowd.

The night has got too big to take risks with the headliner, but hopefully they will start getting in more interesting support.

Never heard Oliver Ho before and he was excellent. More of that please.

You can overcome your distress at the Bells being played by holding a sweepstake on when he will play it. The only uncertainty is when, not if he will play it.

killarava2day
31-08-2005, 12:16 PM
Is Bicknell really that bad?

How old is he now, late 30s...been around awhile hasn't he?

Traxx
31-08-2005, 12:43 PM
Only seen him once a few nye's ago & he was pants.

Jay Pace
31-08-2005, 01:02 PM
Bicknell is just a little pedestrian.

Its not that his tunes are all bad, just that they are obvious and his sets don't seem to have any flow or structure to them.

And whilst he's fairly tight he usually just plays records in their entirety, then mixes in another one.

Whilst these aren't exactly heinous crimes you just expect more, and are usually left disappointed.

:doh:

278d7e64a374de26f==