PDA

View Full Version : Richie Hawtin - DE9 Transitions

MARKEG
01-09-2005, 01:41 PM
Release date: 31st October 2005

Well here's a bit of news for you all. Richie Hawtin's new DE9 Album is out soon! and I have to say I'm only on track 3 and I really really love it.

Apparently it's on a DVD (although I only have the CD promo version).

He's actually used loads of other ppl's tracks on the mix but cause he's changed them so much, he's given them their own track titles. Quite a bold move i thought.

OK, I'll let you know how it progresses in 60 minutes time!!!

Si the Sigh
01-09-2005, 01:47 PM
Nice. I still love & listen to the decks, FX & 909 album / mix. Wouldn't mind hearing his new album.

Si the Sigh
01-09-2005, 01:50 PM
Just noticed you said its on DVD... :eh:

Martin Dust
01-09-2005, 01:58 PM
The DVD is in 5:1 and comes with a mix in stereo on CD...

Si the Sigh
01-09-2005, 02:12 PM
Oh right. :cool:

Mindful
01-09-2005, 02:12 PM
That DVD sounds tasty,Ill be having that

Jay Pace
01-09-2005, 02:13 PM
Heard a preview at Sonar.

In 5.1 surround, from utterly beautiful Dynaudio speakers.

Sonically one of the most gorgeous experiences I've had.

Really looking forward to its release, although I suspect my stereo won't do it justice...

MARKEG
01-09-2005, 03:08 PM
well i just finshed listening and i have to say, it's really good. not what i'd like to listen to in a club (well actuallly, it might be nice to hear it in 5.1 with thousands of others!!!!!!), but good nonetheless. not my fave album of the year (that has to be vogel's station 55) but still REALLY good.

:clap:

Mindful
01-09-2005, 03:11 PM
:doh: I still havent heard that Vogal album yet.
Havent been record shopping for ages man.

ampassasinbirmingham
01-09-2005, 03:11 PM
really looking foreward to this. if closer to the edit is anything to go by, i think i will spend many lazy afternoons liustening to this album.

MARKEG
01-09-2005, 04:10 PM
Wow there's a track on here that is just super rollin!!!

I''ve uploaded it to our server. Check this beast out!!!!

www.blackoutaudio.co.uk/audio/Richie_Hawtin_Minimission.mp3

Soooo much like his early stuff but just more minimal. Excellent!!!

davethedrummer
01-09-2005, 04:15 PM
sounds interesting
i'll have to check it out.

RDR
01-09-2005, 04:16 PM
Am loving the wierd hi pitched noises in the background, its a little too slow for me and a bit too minimal and long IMO.

But ill certainly check the other tracks out.

french_og
01-09-2005, 04:19 PM
It´s a quality track but sounds more like the stuff someone like John Digweed would play, infact it is really similar to the stuff on one of his global underground albums.

Katie
01-09-2005, 06:37 PM
really looking foreward to this. if closer to the edit is anything to go by, i think i will spend many lazy afternoons liustening to this album.

Exactly that is a quality album can't wait for this one to be released!

Frank Dogshit
01-09-2005, 11:17 PM
chompin at the bit for this..........the guy is spot on each time.

Martin Dust
02-09-2005, 12:07 AM
Lots of people I know aren't feeling it but I think it's pretty cool, great to chill or drive to...

MARKEG
03-09-2005, 10:13 AM
i've just come from a 10 hour drive.. and i have to say, i loved this at the beginning and the end. especially the end. but there's no way i'd put this on in the middle. i used to put hawtin's stuff on in the middle, but not this. first reaction: it sounds like robert hood crossed with the commercial scene. ie too many hi hats and predictable stuff we've heard before, and the main drums are soooooo centre. but what i like about this is the 5.1 thing. real innovation. and that's what i've always loved about richie.

unfortunately the promo version is not 5.1. and i'm just so incredibly excited thinking what this cd would be like if that sweep hit me from behind. it''s made me think about our own music and i love this. 5.1 - it's a real incredible thing to add to techno. richie really is as the forefront of technology and we must give him props for this, even if we dont like his music.

a great album. the music might not be 10/10 but's a huge step imho ;)

Mindful
04-09-2005, 02:50 PM

After a few listens im realy feeling this all the little ailien sounds and effects are cool.
When the little spacy melody comes in its fukin mint.

grain
04-09-2005, 03:38 PM
Hmmm.. 33% of that track downloadad and counting...

Always loved the Plastikman... He's been on the ball since day one.. Really looking forward to that DVD.. .. Innovation is where he's at...

Although his releases seem to have chilled out alot in past few years... still top notch though...

...download complete.. Yes, that's nice... Sounds a little like Landstrum in some kind of gentle space-warp thingy.. ? :shock:

Nice little taste of things to come Mark... Thanks :clap:

g
06-09-2005, 06:35 PM
unfortunately the promo version is not 5.1. and i'm just so incredibly excited thinking what this cd would be like if that sweep hit me from behind.
yep. you should hear him talk about how excited he is to have finally gotten a 5.1 project out the door.

JamieBall
08-09-2005, 09:50 AM
Maybe I'm just being retarded, but wouldn't 5.1 be almost impossible to accurately replicate in a club - unless you were standing in EXACTLY the sweet spot between the assorted speakers ?

Do they have a 'main' mix running on speakers around the venue as per usual, then drop the 5.1 elements in on extra rig dotted about ?

Thought this was a wicked idea when I first heard about it but it seems slightly, to me, like the dynamic of the music could be entirely different depending on what area of the 'space' you're in. Unless everyone gets their own room (and instructions to stand in the middle of it).

As I said though, I'm maybe just being retarded. I'm sure there's a perfectly simple explanation for all of this ?

Anyone ?

davethedrummer
08-09-2005, 09:54 AM
Maybe I'm just being retarded, but wouldn't 5.1 be almost impossible to accurately replicate in a club - unless you were standing in EXACTLY the sweet spot between the assorted speakers ?

Do they have a 'main' mix running on speakers around the venue as per usual, then drop the 5.1 elements in on extra rig dotted about ?

Thought this was a wicked idea when I first heard about it but it seems slightly, to me, like the dynamic of the music could be entirely different depending on what area of the 'space' you're in. Unless everyone gets their own room (and instructions to stand in the middle of it).

As I said though, I'm maybe just being retarded. I'm sure there's a perfectly simple explanation for all of this ?

Anyone ?

definately not a chance of reproducing 5.1 in a club
but i don't think that's the point.
anyways i heard a little of this recently and it sounded o.k. nothing totally wonderful but then what does these days???

JamieBall
08-09-2005, 10:02 AM
definately not a chance of reproducing 5.1 in a club
but i don't think that's the point.
anyways i heard a little of this recently and it sounded o.k. nothing totally wonderful but then what does these days???[/quote]

In comes Henry aka 'troubleshooter' to clear the whole sorry mess up.

:clap:

What sounds good these days ?

A constant holiday sounds pretty good to me :twisted:

I haven't heard this Hawtin thing, so can't comment.

I've got an idea for a 5.1 mix - called 'the battering'. It's a conceptual piece, based on the sounds of being battered by a gang of youths from different angles - starting off with jackets rustling and the sound of teeth being sucked in front of the listener, followed swiftly by a pincer like swell from the sides - then it's just the sound of gravel, gurgles and stamps for like 70 minutes or something (coming from all angles in glorious 5.1 of course).

Maybe.

Jay Pace
08-09-2005, 10:08 AM
I did a thing at glastonbury called the brain machine.

You sat in a nice comfy deckchair, put on some really good quality comfy headphones, put on some strange goggles, sat back and closed your eyes.

Different coloured lights pulsed against your closed eyes, synchronised with surging ambient music.

It was overwhelming sensory experience. More of that please.

Even without the mescaline.

mindbender
12-09-2005, 09:35 PM
sounds good.

Symmetric
13-09-2005, 08:23 PM
I caught Richie's set in Detroit last weekend, and it sounded a lot like the track that's posted. The sound system was Funktion1 and it was set up in 4 corners, but I think it was just a stereo rig. I've seen Richie do four corner panning of sfx in a room, and with enough sound in a small space you don't necessarily have to be in the sweet spot, although it is better there!
Regarding the music, it seemed to be more for the head than the body, as there were a lot of breakdowns and (in my opinion) too much time between basslines, but still an impressive set, impressive sounds, and his mastery of current technologies is always impressive to watch. Looking forward to the new album.

Nymphomytechno
14-09-2005, 12:43 PM
Good I'll look forward to his set at Fabric this Saturday then. Got a copy of this from a mate who's been sharing the wealth of Transitions. I, personally, love everything Richie touches, even when he gets it wrong, because he's got it so right so many times.

ampassasinbirmingham
14-09-2005, 01:04 PM

After a few listens im realy feeling this all the little ailien sounds and effects are cool.
When the little spacy melody comes in its fukin mint.

IM LOVING THE BEAT, BUT THE MAJORITY OF THE TUNE IS JUST SLEEP ARCHIVE WITH A FEW FX.

teknorich
20-09-2005, 08:49 PM
It's definitely not peak-time main room material, but it's perfect for the after-after party, when you're pretty mashed and need something deeper, but you don't want to lose the techno edge. Something to smoke to, to chill to, to hypnotise yourself with...

Hawtin has slowed down and chilled out over the years, but he has found his niche, and is fitting it perfectly. I'm really looking forward to the release of the next DE9. The last one (Closer to the edit) was great. Nice and chilled, and because each track was made up of samples of other tracks, it was a real experience listening to it, recognising bits from tunes that you know, but seeing how he had rearranged things and created new tracks with the samples.

Apparently the dvd has a longer mix on it (96 minutes rather than the 76 minute cd) as well as visuals to accompany the set. The titles of each of the samples fades in and out on the screen as the sample is playing so that you can identify exactly what is playing at each point, and on each layer and level of the tune. Maybe a bit geeky, but I'm looking forward to it!

ampassasinbirmingham
21-09-2005, 06:05 AM
It's definitely not peak-time main room material, but it's perfect for the after-after party, when you're pretty mashed and need something deeper, but you don't want to lose the techno edge. Something to smoke to, to chill to, to hypnotise yourself with...

Hawtin has slowed down and chilled out over the years, but he has found his niche, and is fitting it perfectly. I'm really looking forward to the release of the next DE9. The last one (Closer to the edit) was great. Nice and chilled, and because each track was made up of samples of other tracks, it was a real experience listening to it, recognising bits from tunes that you know, but seeing how he had rearranged things and created new tracks with the samples.

Apparently the dvd has a longer mix on it (96 minutes rather than the 76 minute cd) as well as visuals to accompany the set. The titles of each of the samples fades in and out on the screen as the sample is playing so that you can identify exactly what is playing at each point, and on each layer and level of the tune. Maybe a bit geeky, but I'm looking forward to it!

ill second that!!!!

Martin Dust
21-09-2005, 09:28 PM
The DVD is really cool, he even has a dancing girlfriend while he DJ's - you know you've made it when that happens....

Stella Boy
21-09-2005, 09:40 PM
i'll dance for you martin next time you play live :lol: ------>

Martin Dust
21-09-2005, 09:50 PM
You're on, I bet you can dance better than she does :) I love a rocking booth...

278d7e64a374de26f==