PDA

View Full Version : connecting laptop to home computer

RedRob
01-09-2005, 03:53 PM
howyas,

bought a laptop there yesterday so i can do tunes in work. im just wondering is there any way i can throw files back and forth to my home pc without having to get a network box thing. im a bit of a dumbass when it comes to networking. any help would be greatly appreciated. are usb keys and removable storage the ony way?

cheers

Rob :)

TechMouse
01-09-2005, 04:46 PM
howyas,

bought a laptop there yesterday so i can do tunes in work. im just wondering is there any way i can throw files back and forth to my home pc without having to get a network box thing. im a bit of a dumbass when it comes to networking. any help would be greatly appreciated. are usb keys and removable storage the ony way?

cheers

Do you have a network card on each machine?
Most laptops do, can't say for sure about your desktop.

If so, then you can just go and buy a crossover ethernet cable, which eliminates the need for a hub.

Shouldn't be more than a couple of quid.

Past that... wireless networking? infra-red? bluetooth?

All will probably require some kind of hardware.

RedRob
01-09-2005, 04:54 PM
yes it seems there is a network card in each machine. just checkin network adaptors there : 1394 network adapter and NVIDIA nForce networking controller. theye on the pc..... the lappy has the 1394 lad and an intel pro 100 ve network adaptor. tried lashin a cable between em yesterday but was havin none of it. some wizard or somethin for this stuff? ill have a poke about and see what the story is.

cheers

TechMouse
01-09-2005, 04:59 PM
tried lashin a cable between em yesterday but was havin none of it.
You can't just use any old network cable.

It needs to be a crossover cable. This is one where the Transmit and Recieve wires cross-over between each end of the cable.

Stardard ethernet cables are for use when you are connecting PCs to a Hub.

Some very new network cards will detect this and adjust, but most wont.

RedRob
01-09-2005, 05:04 PM
sound man. ill go box off one of those and let ye know how it goes.

cheers

RedRob
01-09-2005, 05:05 PM
sound man. ill go box off one of those and let ye know how it goes.

cheers

DJ Asylum
11-09-2005, 02:42 AM
tried lashin a cable between em yesterday but was havin none of it.
You can't just use any old network cable.

It needs to be a crossover cable. This is one where the Transmit and Recieve wires cross-over between each end of the cable.

Stardard ethernet cables are for use when you are connecting PCs to a Hub.

Some very new network cards will detect this and adjust, but most wont.

Took me all day to figure that out for myself at work once :doh: :oops:

RedRob
11-09-2005, 03:31 AM
ye its all good now. got the crossover cable and the two of em are best mates. thanks for the help :)

278d7e64a374de26f==