PDA

View Full Version : What you love about techno DJ's

MARKEG
02-09-2005, 02:44 AM
OK, imagine your there on the floor. And the DJ does something that really spins you out.

My fave thing was this year @ a festival in Holland when Luke Slater put on 'I'm the one and only dominator'. It totally spinned everyone out!!!

You could have cut the atmosphere wiith a knife!

:twisted:

Mirsha
02-09-2005, 08:47 AM
It's closing time, everyone is hot and sweaty, chants of "one more tune fill the venue." The DJ has cheekily taken a step back to talk to the promoters lounging around on stage. He pauses a few moments before moving to the deck, putting a record and and throwing in a big stompy tune. The place goes off again. He then continues to keep playing records until some irate bouncers show up with an evil glint in their eye saying things like "turn that shit off or we'll throw you down some stairs" and other assorted threats until the sound engineer turns the system off.

Si the Sigh
02-09-2005, 09:04 AM
ha! That reminds me of the Old Firestation a few weeks ago when I grabbed the mic just as the club owner had managed to get the DJ to stop as he'd gone well past 3am close, and shouted "who fu*king wants one more!" and 500+ people went ape shit & said DJ kicked it back in. The owner looked like he wanted to do me some serious damage & I was given a "word or 2 in my ear" :lol:

mattboyslim
02-09-2005, 09:38 AM
hearing someone rip it up on 3 decks, cutting between faders and line switches like feck with a strobe going absolutely ape.

Si the Sigh
02-09-2005, 09:47 AM
Seeing Patrick Skoog playing on 3 decks and a CDJ and having it full on at many points in the set. Phew! :love:

dan the acid man
02-09-2005, 10:27 AM
OK, imagine your there on the floor. And the DJ does something that really spins you out.

My fave thing was this year @ a festival in Holland when Luke Slater put on 'I'm the one and only dominator'. It totally spinned everyone out!!!

You could have cut the atmosphere wiith a knife!

:twisted:

its always good when somebody plays a classic in the most unexpected places in a set, you can see everybdoy in the clubs looking at each other and going, i know this tune, what is it, and then boom, when it all kicks in, everybody suddenly realises what it is and the whole place starts grinning :cool:

Mirsha
02-09-2005, 10:46 AM
Especially if it's a bit of a chesey track that half the people in the club feel disgusted it got played. Can't beat hearing MC Hammer's Can't Touch This lobbed down your ears. Or something off the wall like Jerome Hill dropping Surfin' Bird.

dan the acid man
02-09-2005, 11:05 AM
Especially if it's a bit of a chesey track that half the people in the club feel disgusted it got played. Can't beat hearing MC Hammer's Can't Touch This lobbed down your ears. Or something off the wall like Jerome Hill dropping Surfin' Bird.

oh yeah, this applies for any classic track, from techno to pop :cool:

Francisco Scaramanga
02-09-2005, 01:30 PM
This is a sort of love/hate thing really, but it always amuses me when you get someone like Mills or Surgeon or someone like that who bangs it out hard as nails, and gets crowds moving and jumping around in their thousands for a couple of hours, but in that time never once smile, acknowledge the crowd, or look like they are enjoying themselves even a little bit.

I dont really care, they can do what they want as long the musics good, its just I've never been able to understand how you can play so banging, and yet be so lifeless in the middle of it all. But so many of my favourite DJ's are like this, and anymore, if I went to see Surgeon and he was bouncing about like a loon, I'd be worried that someone might have spiked him or something. Its got to be almost a reasurance of sorts, when the crowd is really going mental and I'm wondering what the hell is going on, I can look up and see the DJ, deadpan and sober, and remember that this is the serious business of techno, and then go off my head again!

dan the acid man
02-09-2005, 01:52 PM
This is a sort of love/hate thing really, but it always amuses me when you get someone like Mills or Surgeon or someone like that who bangs it out hard as nails, and gets crowds moving and jumping around in their thousands for a couple of hours, but in that time never once smile, acknowledge the crowd, or look like they are enjoying themselves even a little bit.

I dont really care, they can do what they want as long the musics good, its just I've never been able to understand how you can play so banging, and yet be so lifeless in the middle of it all. But so many of my favourite DJ's are like this, and anymore, if I went to see Surgeon and he was bouncing about like a loon, I'd be worried that someone might have spiked him or something. Its got to be almost a reasurance of sorts, when the crowd is really going mental and I'm wondering what the hell is going on, I can look up and see the DJ, deadpan and sober, and remember that this is the serious business of techno, and then go off my head again!

if thats how they are behind the decks or whatever, then thats how they are, i know what you mean though, its always fun looking up at the artist and seeing them bouncing around, or smiling and looking at the audience.
but if they dont feel comfortable doing this, it will look fake.

i know ive seen a few dj's who, when you see them on the dance floor, theyre dancing away, but once behind the decks, they just stand there.
maybe they become shy, when everybodys watching them, or theyre just concentrating

Francisco Scaramanga
02-09-2005, 02:08 PM

if thats how they are behind the decks or whatever, then thats how they are, i know what you mean though, its always fun looking up at the artist and seeing them bouncing around, or smiling and looking at the audience.
but if they dont feel comfortable doing this, it will look fake.

i know ive seen a few dj's who, when you see them on the dance floor, theyre dancing away, but once behind the decks, they just stand there.
maybe they become shy, when everybodys watching them, or theyre just concentrating

I dont think you did quite get what I mean, but I probably wasn't very clear. I wasnt having a go, and I wouldent want a DJ to bounce about just to please me. I dont mind at all if they stand up there looking serious and never looking up or anything, I just find it quite fascinating. And as I said, I love it most when I'm really coming up or something, and everything is just totally going off, and there are maybe 1000 people all screaming and waving in the general direction of the DJ, and he/she looks as if they're playing to themselves. Its just a bizarre contrast, and its also something that I have noticed more in techno than any other genre.

As to why - I would say they are probably just concentrating. As I said, I love it, but in a strange way.

Mirsha
02-09-2005, 02:58 PM
When I'm out at a club and the music is banging I barely even look at the DJ as I'm too busy bouncing about like a mung loon.

Dj Swannie
02-09-2005, 06:55 PM
Si the Sigh Posted: 02 Sep 2005 08:47 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seeing Patrick Skoog playing on 3 decks and a CDJ and having it full on at many points in the set. Phew!

Thats got to top it for me, blew me away :clap:

dan the acid man
02-09-2005, 07:16 PM
yeah, sorry francisco, i wasnt having a go, i was giving my ideas on why some artists are like that

RDR
02-09-2005, 08:10 PM
Jeff Mills, the orbit - anytime i saw him play there.

Stella Boy
02-09-2005, 08:17 PM
/\

aye, seeing jeff knock the crap out of the 909 at the end of the night wearing one of the biggest smiles ever known to man, never be beaten :lol:

robin m
03-09-2005, 05:43 PM
Jerome Hill dropping Surfin' Bird.

:clap:

More of this sort of thing. Playing whatever the f*ck makes people smile and bounce around instead of trying to stick within your own sub-sub-sub-genre stroking your beard. It's not all there is to techno of course but playing a Jerome mix (particularly with that tune in) to my mates at every opportunity has got a lot of people who 'don't like techno' out to a night from where some of them believe it or not have changed their tune and admitted that well, just maybe, they hadn't quite given it enough of a chance before...

:rambo:

MITA
03-09-2005, 07:40 PM
I love their skllz,attitude and relation with audience

audioinjection
04-09-2005, 10:54 PM
I love their skllz,attitude and relation with audience

agreed

AcidTrash
06-09-2005, 09:41 PM
I love that "I'm only human" shrug that Chris Liberator does whgen he knocks the decks and f*cks the mix up :)

I love a DJ who's really into their tunes and I especially love it when the elder DJ's let out their inner 12 year olds. It's really funny.

I love a DJ who makes an effort to entertain as well as mix tunes.

DJ Asylum
06-09-2005, 11:14 PM

Sounds like your describing a certain owner of this forum :?: :hmm: :lol:

Louk
07-09-2005, 01:18 AM
I love it when DJs go nuts and I ****ing love it loads when I go nuts when playing my favourite records

sorry but i can't help doing it man i relaly cant!!! every single time - im like it be it in my bedroom, at a friends, at a club, free party, festival, even doing a radio mix etc

always get well into it

Louk

MARKEG
07-09-2005, 02:22 AM

Gandalf???

grain
07-09-2005, 02:50 AM
... Seen Carl Cox at Sonar 2003 (Barcelona) and he played last in the main arena... stompin set then he stopped... applause... then he put on one more tune... I don't know what it was but a total monster... as the track finished he slowly faded it out, stepping back from the decks, waving goodbye... then he reaches over to the mixer and bangs up the other fader - same track on the other deck!!, starting over again... he fades this out about halfway through... slowly, smiling, waving goodbye... then he bangs in the other deck again!! SLICK.

... that man is always smiling !!

Then DJ Rush at I love techno 2003... What a set!! He was on the mic as well as the decks and he was so good that:
1. He had me dancing so hard I thought my arms would fall off and my neck was gonna snap at 7am when I'd already been dancing for 8 hours solid...
2. He had everyone sing after him whatever mad sh.it he came up with on the mic off the top of his head like - "everyone sing after me!! - shab-ad-wap-bap-shadalada-go- lippedy hop ba-dam- blam skamadam"
and pretty much all 3000 people in that room sang along!!!!

Very funny. And what is the story with Rush's style of mixing? I could swear he has the mid-range completely cut for 90% of the time? Or maybe I had killed my ears at that stage. .. sounded sweet though :hmm:

And years ago I heard Richie Hawtin play 'The Race' by Yello as an encore....
Never realised that tune was so fat till i heard it on a big system!

All these kinds of displays of flair and style are what makes a great dj...
Or just absolutely solid composition and mixing....

Or a nice pair of tits

tocsin
07-09-2005, 02:56 AM
I love a "yechno" DJ who's willing to break out of the box and able to spin my head, rather than just records. The rest hold very little appeal to me.

FILTERZ
08-09-2005, 09:36 AM
I LOVE THE SMELL OF TECHNO DJ`S IN THE MORNING

TechMouse
08-09-2005, 10:30 AM
I think we've discovered who the mystery 10am DJ sniffer is...

pablo_sonic_terrorist
08-09-2005, 10:36 AM
its always good when somebody plays a classic in the most unexpected places in a set

For our 4th Birthday for Saucered i stopped the techno 5 mins early and played Friggin in the riggin by the sex pistols, the whole place went off the roof, even the younger ones knew the words, people were jumping up and down shaking the cammo nets on the celing. Strangly, it was one of my techno high points!

FILTERZ
08-09-2005, 10:40 AM

Yes and once i have their scent, i can track and stalk em anywhere :evil:

TechMouse
08-09-2005, 10:43 AM

The Talented Mr. Filterz.

Agent Orange NYC
08-09-2005, 06:13 PM
I've got to say that the coolest shit i have ever seen was done by Mr Hawtin. This is an absolute classic. So one night there was a party here in NY out on the South St. Piers. Carl Cox and Eric Morillo outside till 3am then Richie inside till 7am overlooking the Brooklyn bridge. So it was raining and the tent outside wasnt holding very well, puddles everywhere, so alot of people were holding back and waiting to go inside for Richie.

3am - 7am richie mersilessly destroys the place with the most pounding 3 deck and effects work out ever. Im confident to say def the best set I had ever heard from him EVER and I've seen him play at least 30 times. He didn't even blink once in the 4 hours he played. (DE9 1 dayz, no final crash yet)

So anyway the cops come in around 7am, not really casuing problems casue it was a legit party, just starting to tell people to leave cause the music could be heard. So one of the Captains asks the sound guy for a mic and he gets on trying to be funny, "hey guys havent you had enough" (har har har) "time to go home" etc, so richie starts to run the cops voice into his DP4 effects unit and is delaying and mashing up his voice in some of his presets lol. The cop gets all pissed and turns around and Rich just pretends he doesnt know whats wrong, but it kept ****ing up his voice and delaying so finally he shuts it and does it a few more times with the cop just thinking it was some sort of feedback from the mic - that shit had the whole room laughing on the floor. Screw the Authori-tay!

FILTERZ
09-09-2005, 01:56 PM

only so i can murder them horribly of course and then hand them to my necrophilliac sister for christmas.

TechMouse
12-09-2005, 10:51 AM
I've got to say that the coolest shit i have ever seen was done by Mr Hawtin. This is an absolute classic. So one night there was a party here in NY out on the South St. Piers. Carl Cox and Eric Morillo outside till 3am then Richie inside till 7am overlooking the Brooklyn bridge. So it was raining and the tent outside wasnt holding very well, puddles everywhere, so alot of people were holding back and waiting to go inside for Richie.

3am - 7am richie mersilessly destroys the place with the most pounding 3 deck and effects work out ever. Im confident to say def the best set I had ever heard from him EVER and I've seen him play at least 30 times. He didn't even blink once in the 4 hours he played. (DE9 1 dayz, no final crash yet)

So anyway the cops come in around 7am, not really casuing problems casue it was a legit party, just starting to tell people to leave cause the music could be heard. So one of the Captains asks the sound guy for a mic and he gets on trying to be funny, "hey guys havent you had enough" (har har har) "time to go home" etc, so richie starts to run the cops voice into his DP4 effects unit and is delaying and mashing up his voice in some of his presets lol. The cop gets all pissed and turns around and Rich just pretends he doesnt know whats wrong, but it kept **** up his voice and delaying so finally he shuts it and does it a few more times with the cop just thinking it was some sort of feedback from the mic - that shit had the whole room laughing on the floor. Screw the Authori-tay!

That's pure class...

djshiva
12-09-2005, 08:08 PM
i love to see a dj work the mixer and the decks and have fun whilst doing it. three decks or two, cutting, working the fader, using effects well, having a good time...

and i live hearing what surgeon plays, but...truth be told...i am sad that concentration seems kinda boring to folks like that.

i dig good music, but i really do enjoy a dj who really seems to love what they do. passion and excitement resonate for me.

conflict
12-09-2005, 09:17 PM

So anyway the cops come in around 7am, not really casuing problems casue it was a legit party, just starting to tell people to leave cause the music could be heard. So one of the Captains asks the sound guy for a mic and he gets on trying to be funny, "hey guys havent you had enough" (har har har) "time to go home" etc, so richie starts to run the cops voice into his DP4 effects unit and is delaying and mashing up his voice in some of his presets lol. The cop gets all pissed and turns around and Rich just pretends he doesnt know whats wrong, but it kept **** up his voice and delaying so finally he shuts it and does it a few more times with the cop just thinking it was some sort of feedback from the mic - that shit had the whole room laughing on the floor. Screw the Authori-tay!

yea thats pretty good

for a mincer

:lol:

g
12-09-2005, 11:29 PM
some party in windsor canada 1995. 200 people literally surrounding claude young in a circle dancing with their mouths wide open. then the deafening cheer as he cuts the record with his face.

also 1995, i think. metroplex anniversary party, detroit. derrick may doing that unbelieveable derrick may thing -- then he plays about 20 minutes of straight up tribal drum records.

halloween 1995, windsor, a plus8 party called Jak O' Lantern. first i'm in the main room at sound check and have to leave b/c the quad-sound PA is just too damn loud. then later richie yells in my ear while he's playing that he doesn't know which record is which because his eyeballs are wobbling too much to read the labels. that much bass.

autechre live in toronto, i think 1996. tri-repetae era. holy god.

1997 woody mcbride throws a party in minneapolis called 'stairway to headphones'. so hawtin comes on and opens with Stairway to Heaven. the whole thing, laughing the whole time.

every time i saw plastikman live between 13 august 1994 and sometime late in 1995.

this is a corny one, but at the time it was perfect. end of the summer, 1998. san francisco, small room above a bar called kate o'brien's. mark farina plays a great set of totally likeable house. deep and groovy, nothing annoying. lights start to go up, night's over; farina drops Bananrama's Cruel Summer. hahah.

carl craig's set at this year's fuse-in. predictable (non)mixing but some really great records and a fantastic vibe at the riverfront stage.

278d7e64a374de26f==