PDA

View Full Version : The best techno sound systems in the UK

MARKEG
02-09-2005, 03:06 AM
Oh it just annoys the hell out of me!!!!!

Why is it we all get the back room shity sound systems in techno? I mean i love it an all but you just can't hear the music properly!! I enjoy playing on the good sound systems but it's either they're none uk or really cool ppl in the UK who really care about their sound (and there's not many of them believe you me!!!)

What's going on??!!!

List your best sound systems and we can all make sure we get to play there (if they'll accept us hehehehe)....

Si the Sigh
02-09-2005, 07:54 AM
I think the system @ Atmosphere, The Grove, Seaton's pretty damn phat! Not bad for a "shitty back room" ;) :lol:

Mirsha
02-09-2005, 08:51 AM
You should hear the Calton then. They have a great soundsystem for their space, it can be pumped loud enough that you can feel the nuggets of truth in your rectum vibrating with the bass.

It's a shame environmental health keep coming round and have installed limiters so it never gets that loud, apart from at the sound checks. I've seen the British Murder Boys play there and be so disattified with the sound they redlined the mixer trying to get more punch out of it.

mattboyslim
02-09-2005, 09:40 AM
the pure filth/dagobah system is pretty sick. so big in fact they usually can;t fit it in the club

acidsaturation
02-09-2005, 09:44 AM
Sadly in the past, but I always remember when Templehead put an extra 16K on top of the 4K in house system in the Harvey Milk Bar at Leeds...

You could tell the difference to nights that didn't...

eyes without a face
02-09-2005, 10:12 AM
Both soundsystems in @ Voodoo are absolutely top notch, and their engineering team is on the ball totally. I think thats the problem with half of the clubs, they are ran by people who think they can manage the soundsystems too when they dont have a clue, and you end up playing on one of the shittest rigs you've come across

its a very hit n miss situation sometimes

TechMouse
02-09-2005, 10:17 AM
I know I'm biased... but the Dagobah (http://www.pure-filth.org/dagobah.html) system is immense.

TechMouse
02-09-2005, 10:19 AM
so big in fact they usually can;t fit it in the club
Well, what's the point?

It's loud as hell as it is, and we'd only destroy the building.

fitipaldi
02-09-2005, 10:21 AM
As shit as the place is Sankeys has an amazing sound system.

eyes without a face
02-09-2005, 10:42 AM
Turnmills and The End are spot on aswell

mattboyslim
02-09-2005, 10:58 AM
so big in fact they usually can;t fit it in the club
Well, what's the point?

It's loud as hell as it is, and we'd only destroy the building.are the schematics for that still online?

TechMouse
02-09-2005, 11:03 AM
are the schematics for that still online?
Not sure.

There was a diagram on the back of a flyer a while back.

I've got a stack at home.

I'll scan one tomorrow if you like.

G-whizz
02-09-2005, 11:07 AM

I love the end's soundsystem !

RDR
02-09-2005, 11:28 AM
Pure Techno
20k cerwin vega up stairs... (badly sorted by the sound monkey)

10k cerwin vega downstairs.. needs a bit o tweaking...

maily
02-09-2005, 11:30 AM
Pure Techno
20k cerwin vega up stairs... (badly sorted by the sound monkey)

10k cerwin vega downstairs.. needs a bit o tweaking...

it's got the potential to be un-****in beleivable in there pity the install aint what it could be :(

Traxx
02-09-2005, 11:55 AM
The system in air (birmingham) is crisp & load as you like.

Technobitch
02-09-2005, 12:05 PM
section 63 have an amazing rig, only heard it in an outdoor tho!

Jay Pace
02-09-2005, 12:13 PM

The End is responsible for my hearing damage. Think their system is over-rated IMO.

Frank Dogshit
02-09-2005, 12:52 PM
Definetely that Carling academy in liverpool system.....its brilliant!

And as mentioned before,the sankeys one is class! Wasted on that place mind you!

soma
02-09-2005, 01:01 PM
plastik people. curtain road. london

best system in london.

Fordy
02-09-2005, 01:12 PM
The dagobah system, thats just about the best thing ive ever heard :clap: Brilliant :lol: Sorry im a fu*king geek when it comes to star wars.

Francisco Scaramanga
02-09-2005, 01:15 PM
When I went to The End, I thought their system was well overrated, didn't do it for me at all.

The best one that I know of that could be used for a techno event is definately Air in Birmingham, its ****ing loud, but more to the point, crisp and clear, almost beyond belief.

But the best rig I've ever heard techno on no longer exists, or actually I'm sure it still does, but because it was "stolen" in the middle of the night god only knows who has it. Anyway the one I'm on about is that offensive mountain of a rig they had in the Que Club in its later days, not long before it closed down. To stand by the bassbins in the front was dangerous, it had the capacity to actually make me feel physically ill.

The best rig I've ever heard period isnt available for the use of techno, but if you can put up with drum n bass for an evening, its well worth hearing Valve, that rig is just plain sick. Its kind of mind boggling really, I just never realised music could be so loud. They hand out earplugs at the door on the way in, and I'm surprised they dont hand out clean pants on the way out, cause they probably have caused some involuntary bowel movements.

Traxx
02-09-2005, 01:34 PM
Yeah cant wait to hear the valve, just waiting for it to come down my way. The iration steppas system is supposed to push it, hearing good things about it.

Francisco Scaramanga
02-09-2005, 01:48 PM
Yeah cant wait to hear the valve, just waiting for it to come down my way. The iration steppas system is supposed to push it, hearing good things about it.

They had that Iration Steppas system in town last weekend, but I couldent go to it cause I was playing in a shitty bar on some crappy Peavey Hi-Sys 2's and some - believe it or not - 12" bass bins (its a contradiction in terms!!!). I havent heard any reports yet, but I'll be seeing the guy whose night it was tonight, so I'll ask him what it was like.

rhythmlogistics
02-09-2005, 01:51 PM

you gotta hear it indoors... sweet jesus it sings!!!

mr burns
02-09-2005, 03:59 PM
But the best rig I've ever heard techno on no longer exists, or actually I'm sure it still does, but because it was "stolen" in the middle of the night god only knows who has it. Anyway the one I'm on about is that offensive mountain of a rig they had in the Que Club in its later days, not long before it closed down. To stand by the bassbins in the front was dangerous, it had the capacity to actually make me feel physically ill.

the bass at the cue club made me throw up

our last night at the custard factory we set a rig up outside, and the vibrations caused £4000 of damage to a shop near by knocking every thing of the shelves and smashing it (it was a vase shop) luckily it was all insured, there was some serious bass going on though

distek
02-09-2005, 04:22 PM
Section 63 soundsystem :twisted: :rambo:

Nuff Said!! ;)

fatcollective
02-09-2005, 04:55 PM

Nuff Said!! ;)

here here !

Mucky Beats
02-09-2005, 05:01 PM

Nuff Said!! ;)

here here !

yeh deffo :clap:

A.P.
02-09-2005, 05:01 PM
our last night at the custard factory we set a rig up outside, and the vibrations caused £4000 of damage to a shop near by knocking every thing of the shelves and smashing it (it was a vase shop) luckily it was all insured, there was some serious bass going on though[/quote]

hehehehehe, that's quality Gav......haha!

ampassasinbirmingham
02-09-2005, 05:26 PM
When I went to The End, I thought their system was well overrated, didn't do it for me at all.

The best one that I know of that could be used for a techno event is definately Air in Birmingham, its **** loud, but more to the point, crisp and clear, almost beyond belief.

The best rig I've ever heard period isnt available for the use of techno, but if you can put up with drum n bass for an evening, its well worth hearing Valve, that rig is just plain sick. Its kind of mind boggling really, I just never realised music could be so loud. They hand out earplugs at the door on the way in, and I'm surprised they dont hand out clean pants on the way out, cause they probably have caused some involuntary bowel movements.

ill second both of those. and the irration steppa's sound system for dub in leeds is rather filthy.

apparently yardies just came along and simply took the rig out of the q club, and put there own shitter one in, which they then had to pay for.

Francisco Scaramanga
02-09-2005, 08:15 PM

The best one that I know of that could be used for a techno event is definately Air in Birmingham, its **** loud, but more to the point, crisp and clear, almost beyond belief.

ill second both of those. and the irration steppa's sound system for dub in leeds is rather filthy.

apparently yardies just came along and simply took the rig out of the q club, and put there own shitter one in, which they then had to pay for.

Whatever happend, it was extremely dodgy, I had a night booked in the chapel for the saturday after it got nicked, which obviously didnt happen, and we never got any money back for any of the promotion or anything, it was a complete disaster basically. And when someone else who was involved in the night said what happened on a forum, he got a call from the manager of the Que, that basically consisted of shut the hell up or some boys are gonna come find you and rough you up real bad. Hopefully its safe to mention it now...

The thing I never understood is how something like that could happen, cause it wasn't just the main room rig, it was every speaker, every lead, and every light in the ENTIRE club. It would have taken at least 1 if not 2 lorries, and also would have required a forklift and 10 strong guys I reckon.

jon connor
03-09-2005, 01:23 PM
As shit as the place is Sankeys has an amazing sound system.

i aggre here this system is one hell of a rig, but yea im hearing mark here ,back in the old days the system was high priority infact more inportent to the night than the dj`s were. but nowdays it seem most promoters just want names on there flyers to fill the club and the system comes last its hit and miss out there. techno needs to be played properly otherwise people dont get it , you need to feel that crunch coming from the rig with intense power :rambo: highley chrged funked up jacking crisp sound , i wish more engineers and promoters would pay attention to this at venues, but then again the law has changed a lot over the years and mabey it could be a problem with councils etc , not likeing the noise polution.

anyways my favourite system in the country has to be OPUS of plymouth you play on one of these beasts an you in for a hell of a ride , check out there amps 3 k either side giveing you 6 k power amps ,they look like somthink off star trek. :shock: you can hire as much as you want from these guys even over a 100 k :shock: phewwwwwwwwww! now that would be a rig to play techno on hahahahahahh!! the word cracking one off come to mind :love: :love: :love:

conflict
03-09-2005, 01:34 PM
the boys at pure filth have got it sussed definately

splendid set up

kai_1
05-09-2005, 11:59 PM

Nuff Said!! ;)

Hell yeh... 20K of crystal clear Techno in the woods... You can't beat it! :lol:

MARK NEENAN
06-09-2005, 07:17 AM
I think the system @ Atmosphere, The Grove, Seaton's pretty damn phat! Not bad for a "shitty back room" ;) :lol:

Agreed! :clap:

nekro
06-09-2005, 11:05 AM
In London the best sound system in my opinion is at Studio 33 (formerly the Chunnel Club) - 25K of Floodlight Turbosound in the main room, 50K+ across all 3 rooms.

In fact, if you want to hear techno on a professional sound system then Drop The Bomb is the only event that puts sound quality first, check www.drop-the-bomb.co.uk

As for free party sound systems then Section 63 (Void/Martin Audio) or Ravenous (Funktion-One) are by far the best.

Technobitch
06-09-2005, 11:37 AM

Nuff Said!! ;)

Hell yeh... 20K of crystal clear Techno in the woods... You can't beat it! :lol:

:clap: :clap: :clap:

wrong
06-09-2005, 08:06 PM
One word:

B E D L A M

so crisp and so fat

pablo_sonic_terrorist
09-09-2005, 02:19 PM
our last night at the custard factory we set a rig up outside, and the vibrations caused £4000 of damage to a shop near by knocking every thing of the shelves and smashing it (it was a vase shop) luckily it was all insured, there was some serious bass going on though

Was that u guy's with the EV rig outside?

The Teknoist.
10-09-2005, 05:33 PM
Oh it just annoys the hell out of me!!!!!

Why is it we all get the back room shity sound systems in techno? I mean i love it an all but you just can't hear the music properly!! I enjoy playing on the good sound systems but it's either they're none uk or really cool ppl in the UK who really care about their sound (and there's not many of them believe you me!!!)

What's going on??!!!

List your best sound systems and we can all make sure we get to play there (if they'll accept us hehehehe)....

try playing hardcore techno then man.. haha

The Teknoist.
12-09-2005, 10:41 AM
The Sankeys System is part of the old Phazon rig which was in Twilo NYC, when that cunt of a mayor shut it down they split the rig up n auctioned it off. Truly amazing sound system.

Mick Harris (ex Napalm Death) aka Scorn has an awesome system, 'the Fuel rig'.

JamieBall
12-09-2005, 10:55 AM
You should hear the Calton then. They have a great soundsystem for their space, it can be pumped loud enough that you can feel the nuggets of truth in your rectum vibrating with the bass.

It's a shame environmental health keep coming round and have installed limiters so it never gets that loud, apart from at the sound checks. I've seen the British Murder Boys play there and be so disattified with the sound they redlined the mixer trying to get more punch out of it.

Are you SERIOUS, dude ?

The Calton system BLOWS - Majorly.

Everyone I've seen there has sounded lame and restricted by the nonsense sound levels.

The speakers in there ain't been changed for like 10 years or something.

Until something is done about that sound I'm NEVER playing there again (though the chances of being asked fade away as more clubs leave it). And I don't just mean the 'volume level'. If that PA was allowed to be cranked you KNOW it would sound 5 H 1 T.

As far as I'm concerned the best PA in Edinburgh is in 'the venue'. It REALLY spanks, to the extent where most people who play there comment on how clean and ****ING ROCKINGLY LOUD it goes. The sound in there used to be shit, too, but it's really tight and quality since they've installed all the new gear. Sooooo much more bass than any other local venue.

To be honest, I'd rate 'the venue' amongst my favourite places to play in the UK as the system really is proper (when it's being properly cranked, of course).

Seriously, Mirsha, the Calton has nothing on the Venue when it comes to clarity of sound and volume. And all those 'noise level' restrictions. Honestly, man, the PA in my house is louder than that place.

Also, the PA could make as much noise as the space shuttle taking off, but if the council have popped limiters on it then this is something of a moot point, no ?

darkmockeray
12-09-2005, 03:58 PM
the redbox in dublin has a savage system....... crystal clear - they have a room with glass walls that you can look in and see all the amps and what-not...... pity its so commercial and expensive!!!! :dontevengothere:

fresh_an_funky_design
13-09-2005, 03:51 PM

you gotta hear it indoors... sweet jesus it sings!!!

you knows it boyo! yeah for me its gotta be
section 63 & ravenous.

oldbugger
13-09-2005, 07:42 PM
agree with the others about pure filth.. sounds amazing. :love:

isn't sankeys rig the old phazon from nation?

pumpinglemma
13-09-2005, 09:25 PM
the redbox in dublin has a savage system....... crystal clear - they have a room with glass walls that you can look in and see all the amps and what-not...... pity its so commercial and expensive!!!! :dontevengothere:

Dont agree with u there man. It is loud as f**k and i love how the bass from the hanging speakers can make your throat vibrate ;) but its way too bassy. Its just not set up/eqed right. Mind you, its nearly 2 years since I was there so it may not be the case now. If they set up right it would be amazing tho!

Rollo
14-09-2005, 11:29 AM
the end have thunderidge which is top stuff.

section 63 have a wicked rig.....so does ravenous

If anyone heard the tribe of munt/nine bar link up at both scum teks...that was seriously loud pounding out trhe best acid techno

eyeswithoutaface
14-09-2005, 11:37 AM
just to clear up the Sankeys Phazon system is actually the old system from HOME in London

*Nancy*
14-09-2005, 01:34 PM
Dunno if this one's been mentioned yet as i havent looked through every reply but the Pilgrimage in Plymouth has been sounding pretty lush on the techno side. will get more details.

oldbugger
14-09-2005, 02:15 PM
just to clear up the Sankeys Phazon system is actually the old system from HOME in London

oh aye :doh:

i knew that :oops:

The Teknoist.
14-09-2005, 02:25 PM
i always thought it was from Twilo.. bah

The Teknoist.
14-09-2005, 02:27 PM
Yeah it was Twilo..

'However this was not good enough for David and Sacha and as 2002 got going, the stakes were raised once again. David and Sacha decided in the quest to make Sankeys the most suitable club for the Tribal events, i.e. the best small club in the world, they would have to buy the Phazon Soundsystem...so they did.

The Phazon Soundsystem felt like the icing on the cake. This was the best Soundsystem in the world, which had featured at the worlds most revered clubs such as Twilo. The man behind the Phazon, Steve Dash said that the Phazon in Sankeys was one of the best he had designed, and was way too big for little Sankeys.The Phazon was installed and a new wave of hype and gossip spread through the Tribal circles. With the club now sounding like thunder every week, the DJs kept coming.Darren Emerson, Green Velvet, X-Press 2, Sven Vath and loads more came to visit the club; all of them leaving with one thing on their lips, 'When can we come back?'. The answer from Tribal was clear.'when the people ask for you'.'

Im sure HOME bought a section of it too though.. it got split up after Twilo shut.

Eddie
14-09-2005, 02:32 PM
I am pretty sure it was from home, and IMO the system is far too loud for the club,

mattboyslim
14-09-2005, 11:12 PM
Dunno if this one's been mentioned yet as i havent looked through every reply but the Pilgrimage in Plymouth has been sounding pretty lush on the techno side. will get more details.yeah thats a nice rig, in both rooms. i quite like the punchiness of the back room system with nice rolling basslines aswell. good allrounder

mattboyslim
14-09-2005, 11:13 PM
we have a phazon system at media in nottingham. used to have some awesome djs gracing it, but these days its all r'n'b. gutting

gary_human
15-09-2005, 11:14 AM
Section 63 is one of my fav soundsytems, and the link up they had at UK tek earlier in the year was mega!!!

TechMouse
15-09-2005, 11:21 AM
we have a phazon system at media in nottingham. used to have some awesome djs gracing it, but these days its all r'n'b. gutting
The sound in Media is horrific.

Unless you're stood in the 2m square sweet spot on the stage, then it's quite good.

mattboyslim
15-09-2005, 02:05 PM
The sound in Media is horrific.

Unless you're stood in the 2m square sweet spot on the stage, then it's quite good.it used to be much better when the dj booth was on the balcony overlooking the dancefloor. carl cox used to hammer it out at renaisance and it sounded pretty sweet

TechMouse
15-09-2005, 02:07 PM
I used to go to Renaissance all the time...

Great venue, let down by extremely poor sound.

serox
16-09-2005, 04:33 PM
The Ends thunderridge system is nice.
also MOS has had a few techno sets, that system is the best in the UK?
shit club i know.

turnmils is shit and so is SE1.
some people who do squat partys have prolly got better systems.

Analbumcover
18-09-2005, 01:45 AM
Cheers for all the positive comments re the pure filth / dagobah system... Nice to know we do something right from time to time...

Whoever asked about the flyer with the schematic, it can be found here (http://www.pure-filth.org/images/flyers/langley2005_design.jpg)

holotropik
18-09-2005, 01:56 AM
Dunno bout the UK, but down here in OZ we got the good Doctor Ishtar running around with a truckload of Funktion1. It does the most damaged out of everything else here.

278d7e64a374de26f==