PDA

View Full Version : The press and techno.

MARKEG
02-09-2005, 03:13 AM
I've worked for press for years. And I seriously notice at the mo that they seem to be backin those that have the albums out. I know alot of you don't care about press, but it's part of what I do, so I'm thinking about it.

Albums and adverts?? Anyone??? Heheehe. Think about it.

Look press = promotion. What do you guys all think.

;)

Mirsha
02-09-2005, 08:58 AM
Top of the Pops is where it's at. That's the ultimate in promotion.

I wouldn't say that the press are backing people with albums out. I'd rather put it as "the press who a bunch of mongrels have noticed that techno as a genre seems to be becoming more publicly acceptable and have decided to jump on the bandwagon. As such we'll just talk about people with albums because we don't really understand the fact that in techno people don't focus on albums but tracks and you the only way they can put out albums is if they are good."

It's all bandwagon jumping basicly.

However with regards to promotion I'm not sure how much added exposure you would get. Everyone I know who's into techno is really into techno, they tend to find out all the good information ahead of time so a splash of publicity doesn't effect these people. Some people might be tempted to branch out a bit but it's one of those odd things that people tend to get locked into what they like and stop looking for new stuff.

I've seen lots of promotion for folk like Hawtin, Clarke etc but it's never motivated me to do anything about it.

TechMouse
02-09-2005, 10:14 AM
As such we'll just talk about people with albums because we don't really understand the fact that in techno people don't focus on albums but tracks
Head of nail recieving a damn good smack there.

There's a standard paradigm for mainstream music.

Play gigs, get noticed, get signed, record album, release single, tour, release as many more singles as feasable based on current success, possibly tour again, have a bit of time out, re-assess whether to record another album...

Techno (as is the case with most dance music) just doesn't work like that.

Big record labels don't like it.

Probably because they'd have to re-organise their filing systems or something to cope.

Sunil
02-09-2005, 12:32 PM
Well, some of the above mentioned aside I do think that many journalists reviewing techno in magazines aren't digging deep enough and aren't being honest either... not to mention playing ball too often with promotion companies in exchange for the ongoing flow of records, or just because they've known them for a while.

mattboyslim
02-09-2005, 12:35 PM
bottom line is, the press need to sell magazines just like mainstream producers need to sell music. they will only spend time finding the facts and digging deep if its gona sell the magazine, and we all know the majority of mixmag readers like funky house/trance/hardhouse and all that populist bullshit.

as far as mainstream press (newspapers etc.) i'd be surprised they know an underground techno movement exists

grain
02-09-2005, 12:59 PM
I still have hopes for the possibility of some alternative music tv channel that covers credible electronic music... I remember when mtv used to run the chill-out zone and party zone before the station became the hideous brain suck that it is today.. they used to play all those X-mix videos and some quality techno...

I was kinda hoping that digital tv would become the norm and then there would be some room for an exclusivley quality techno/ambient/electro,etc. tv channel... it would would also give a platform for all the visual artists who are out there to get their visions and propeganda out to the world...

Idealy though, you could just pay for this channel on its own and not have to put up with all the other shite....

Alan Oldham
04-09-2005, 11:18 PM
I still have hopes for the possibility of some alternative music tv channel that covers credible electronic music...Idealy though, you could just pay for this channel on its own and not have to put up with all the other shite....

a) if an artist actually got a video on such a channel, boards like this would be the main ones crying "ego" and "sellout"

b) hardly anyone pays for techno as it is, they wouldn't pay for a channel like that, I'd guarantee it. In fact, if there were a viable audience for it, you'd still have "Amp", "Party Zone" etc. like you had in the '90s. Nothing sexy about techno in its current state, no good-looking people, no back-story, no money, 4 things TV runs on

grain
05-09-2005, 12:43 PM
a) if an artist actually got a video on such a channel, boards like this would be the main ones crying "ego" and "sellout"

... fair point Alan, but as far as the lack of good looking people goes, I was thinking more like videos that were as creative and artistic as the music (think video artists like Chris Cunningham and Alex Rutterford), not videos like your typical ego-manic R&B video...
Obviously it would be up to the artists involved to ensure creative content but more importantly up to the station managers to keep a check on quality control...

And as far as there being no 'back-story'? - Surely you're not saying the techno community has nothing interesting to say, that interviews with innovators in the field would be necessarily boring?
Surely you don't think that there aren't talented documentary directors, editors, animators and all other sorts of creative individuals who are passionate about techno and who would only love to get thier teeth into such a project?

Mabye I'm being too optimistic and completely unrealistic but...

Maybe what I'm thinking of would maybe be more realistic as an internet website, but I like the idea of a broadcasting channel with a weekly programme and the other advantages that go with the format (most people have a comfortable set up for watching tv, good sound, seating etc..)

.. then I see your based in the States (where I've never been) and I know you've got so many channels of crap over there you're probably completely turned off the idea of tv...

I just havn't given up on the idea just yet
:neutral:

RDR
05-09-2005, 12:44 PM
I think by back story, Alan means 'Celeb Gossip'

(im not being difficult - thats my idea...)

dan the acid man
05-09-2005, 01:19 PM

yeah, stuff like "dodgyedgy bit the head off jeff mills hamster at party shocker"

RDR
05-09-2005, 02:59 PM

yeah, stuff like "dodgyedgy bit the head off jeff mills hamster at party shocker"

:cry: MY hamster got out last night! Couldnt find him this morning! :cry:

OH MY GOD!

Jeff You BASTARD! give him back...!!!!

Alan Oldham
06-09-2005, 01:26 AM

... fair point Alan, but as far as the lack of good looking people goes, I was thinking more like videos that were as creative and artistic as the music (think video artists like Chris Cunningham and Alex Rutterford), not videos like your typical ego-manic R&B video...
Obviously it would be up to the artists involved to ensure creative content but more importantly up to the station managers to keep a check on quality control...

And as far as there being no 'back-story'? - Surely you're not saying the techno community has nothing interesting to say, that interviews with innovators in the field would be necessarily boring?
Surely you don't think that there aren't talented documentary directors, editors, animators and all other sorts of creative individuals who are passionate about techno and who would only love to get thier teeth into such a project?

Mabye I'm being too optimistic and completely unrealistic but...

Maybe what I'm thinking of would maybe be more realistic as an internet website, but I like the idea of a broadcasting channel with a weekly programme and the other advantages that go with the format (most people have a comfortable set up for watching tv, good sound, seating etc..)

.. then I see your based in the States (where I've never been) and I know you've got so many channels of crap over there you're probably completely turned off the idea of tv...

I just havn't given up on the idea just yet
:neutral:

All the points you bring up are quite valid, however, as far as the money people go (aka gatekeepers), there's no story there really. To them, it's "electronica" and electronica is the '90s. When Melody Maker said dance music was dead, that was it. To them, 50 Cent got shot nine times, Babyshambles broke from The Libertines and is on crack, there's a story.

I lived thru the '90s and people didn't even like when a techno artist had a video, he was an egomaniac, it was selling out. Plus it implied he was making money enough to HAVE a video in the first place.

But then again I was dealing mostly with Americans at the time, who hate on any and everything.

Excuse my weary cynicism, carry on and don't mind me

Oh and I'm living in Berlin now, a nice change :cool:

grain
06-09-2005, 11:26 AM
Alan, I can see (or imagine anyway) where you're coming from, but I think nowadays everyone can see that ANYONE with some talent and video-camera and a laptop can make a video... it doesn't have to cost very much at all...

And imagine an alternative to 'Cribs' (horrifying promotion of greed that it is).. if it was just realistic docu-type, day in the life... in the studio... out in the city having a drink... in the club...

...as you say, you've been dealing with Americans, and I have to say if I picture all that with a particularly egotistic American, I can imagine it could be very annoying... (I'm kind of hoping that American technoheads are a nice sort, i don't know?)... But if you were documenting some of the european heads, I imagine a more down to earth experience.....

... of course maybe all this coverage would get to peoples heads and then... oh, no, I can see where this COULD lead... but I still think it could be done right... It would take some VERY responsible individuals in charge though...
...But your weary cynicism is very much excused... I'll probably feel the same after I've been around as long as yourself... But for now I say Onwards and Upwards!! (not that I aspire to running this imaginary tv station, but just in general)

By the way Alan, I always loved your artwork for D-Jax... Quality.

:clap: :clap:

278d7e64a374de26f==