PDA

View Full Version : To all label owners /dj's -stuff out on CD for promotion

MARKEG
02-09-2005, 03:18 AM
I've recently been on about this to Chrissi. I love playing vinyl. But if I have to, I'll play that crappy CDR. Which in turn means that if I send out a CDR for promotion, if the person really, really likes it , they will play it, whether they are cdj dj's or not.

So do I send out on CDR? Label owner's/dj's what do you think!!
!

Komplex
02-09-2005, 06:56 AM
why the hell not should be the question!

If people have a big enough ego not to play a good track when they hear it cus its not on vinyl, they don't deserve it in the first place, or the title of disc jockey ;)

promo is promo... they can pay for the priveledge of getting it on vinyl cus it aint cheap to press and deliver.

wrong
02-09-2005, 07:14 AM
yep... definately... of course, if you have a great track only on cd it still feels (to me) like i dont actually own it yet for real but i've played cd's out of up and coming stuff for my label and other peoples labels... music is music.

The Overfiend
02-09-2005, 07:47 AM
Hell yes I say. Crowd Reaction, nothing like it.

djshiva
02-09-2005, 07:57 AM
i could give a rat's ass if it's cd or vinyl. for promos, frankly, it costs labels soooo much less to send out cds that i don't know why more people don't do it.

if a tune is hot, it's hot.

i just put cd decks in my contract and have a go at the hot tunes... :)

MITA
02-09-2005, 02:06 PM
yeah..that idea is ok.
already have some promo cdr that i play.
fair enough 4 give it a go in the club.
if i like the stuff ,ill go buy that vinyl

Mirsha
02-09-2005, 02:56 PM
Send them out on CD's and send me the vinyl promo copies. That seems clear enough to me.

But I don't think anyone cares about the odd tune being dropped from a CD these days, the bitter war of the mediums only seems to occur when you get someone doing the whole set from CD's.

DJAmok
04-09-2005, 01:17 PM
I'll play demos from CDs any day :lol:

Ritzi Lee
04-09-2005, 06:48 PM
I gave a lot of CD's to DJ's and shit.
The biggest example is Dave Clarke.

Just do it Mark.
Don't think about things that are passe now..

gustavo
05-09-2005, 12:35 AM
but i think people should put "edits " in the promo cds

example a track with 5 minutes only 2 minutes ...

not hte whole track

so the people who really like it buy it on vynil

im think promo cds are the best way...

Tony
05-09-2005, 07:34 PM
i'm wary about letting a tune loose to anyone from any of the labels i look after. it only takes one person to stickit on soulseek and you can kiss a lot of the eventual vinyl sales good bye.

i use cds to send snippets of the tracks to folks, like sugggested above. i find cd a disposable medium, but a similair white label is viewed by me at least with more respect for scratches etc, and for wanting to know whats on there LOT more (as i get sent lots of stuff) but even if i loved the track, i am down with what WRONG says, i still dont OWN it. bizarre!

Product 19
06-09-2005, 03:31 PM
We at the SUF Collective have been sending out promo CDs now as it is cheaper and easier but the problem we're running into is that some SHOPS that get the promos from our distributors are putting them up on their sites for sale. We have busted about 2-3 shops now and when confronted they didn't seem to be sorry or even understand where we were coming from. And we are worried that some people may be putting it up on sites like Soulseek,too. This sucks as it ruins it for the DJs that are genuinely interested in playing our tunes out that should be doing so to see crowd responses and do reviews for mags and such. Our solution is to cut the tracks up into selected samples of each one. It is unfortunate but we have to do it.

TechMouse
06-09-2005, 03:34 PM
i'm wary about letting a tune loose to anyone from any of the labels i look after. it only takes one person to stickit on soulseek and you can kiss a lot of the eventual vinyl sales good bye.
You ever seen how many vinyl rips there are on Soulseek?

Komplex
07-09-2005, 01:43 AM
You ever seen how many vinyl rips there are on Soulseek?

The majority of single tracks and ep's on SLSK are vinyl rips. I've even busted (actually I didn't say nothing) a well known/respected artist who sometimes posts on Blackout with a LOT (we're talking a few crates full) of vinyl rips while I was searching for live sets last year. tsk tsk tsk. You know who you are!

pablo_sonic_terrorist
08-09-2005, 10:57 AM
The majority of single tracks and ep's on SLSK are vinyl rips. I've even busted (actually I didn't say nothing) a well known/respected artist who sometimes posts on Blackout with a LOT (we're talking a few crates full) of vinyl rips while I was searching for live sets last year. tsk tsk tsk. You know who you are!

RDR
08-09-2005, 11:46 AM
Nice comment pablo...

Well said mate.

278d7e64a374de26f==