PDA

View Full Version : Which track has inspired you to listen to electronic music?

ANDROID
02-09-2005, 11:51 AM
For me it was:
1.James Brown is dead
2.U-96
3.Dominator

maily
02-09-2005, 12:18 PM
not tracks but:

NIN
a shed load of stuff i heard on John Peel :notworthy:

fatcollective
02-09-2005, 12:25 PM
it started with tunes like "pump up the jam" and this lead on to early rave tunes, but one tune inparticular i remember was "urban breakdown" by micky finn, it was also the first record i bought (from woolworths with my dinner money) another tune around the same time was "power pill" i cant remember who it was by but had the pac man samples in there "eat them up yum yum" i heard carl cox play this and i loved it, i also purchased this from woolwroths aswel...hehehe bloody hell that goin back a bit :oops:

this lead on to tunes like dominator and james brown is dead etc...

Geoff
02-09-2005, 12:34 PM
Front 242 - Headhunter & Sheep on Drugs - Motorbike ..

mattboyslim
02-09-2005, 12:37 PM
that technotronic megamix :cool:

Francisco Scaramanga
02-09-2005, 12:42 PM
I cant remember the very first tune I heard that really got me interested, but I suppose hearing NIN - Sin for the first time probably helped, and the first dance music purchase I made was the Lords of Acid album Voodoo U.

schlongfingers
02-09-2005, 03:35 PM
another tune around the same time was "power pill" i cant remember who it was by but had the pac man samples in there "eat them up yum yum" i heard carl cox play this and i loved it, i also purchased this from woolwroths aswel...hehehe bloody hell that goin back a bit :oops:

Its by aphex twin, worth a little bit too if you still have it (vinyl)

RDR
02-09-2005, 03:41 PM
Sourmash - Pilgramage to paradise. ****ING AMAZING TRACK!

distek
02-09-2005, 03:43 PM
I strongly remember a track by Utah Saints called "Somthing good"
Also a 808 state track with a sample in that was somthing like out of a western?? violins etc....?? not sure what it was called. & a track call "Das Boot" im sure all of these tracks had somthing to do with me getting into it all, i remember them giving me a rite buzz at the time!!

dan the acid man
02-09-2005, 03:44 PM
i suppose my first ever electronic song i liked was MARS pump up the volume.

i remember asking for that song for a christmas present, my unlce bought me one of those chart hit tapes with it on, there was also a track on there with the sample "Put the needle on the record, and the drum beat goes like this".
i had to play mars, then fast forward all the way to the end to listen to the other track :lol:

cant remember who did that though :oops:

TechMouse
02-09-2005, 03:46 PM
Found this in a charity shop the other week, on vinyl, on NOW 10 or something.

herman
02-09-2005, 05:10 PM
there was also a track on there with the sample "Put the needle on the record, and the drum beat goes like this"

Its Criminal Element Orchestra (http://www.discogs.com/release/82178)

Can i have my spotters gold medal now please ;)

Zektor
02-09-2005, 05:10 PM
Prodigy

dan the acid man
02-09-2005, 05:59 PM
there was also a track on there with the sample "Put the needle on the record, and the drum beat goes like this"

Its Criminal Element Orchestra (http://www.discogs.com/release/82178)

Can i have my spotters gold medal now please ;)

thats them :cool:

anx
02-09-2005, 06:26 PM
i can thank daft punks homework for getting me into it, along with prodigy's music for the jilted generation

as well as countless pirate radio sessions
yes i know they were lame, and so is chris sheppard, but gimme a break, i was 15

massplanck
02-09-2005, 07:51 PM
Axel F.

:cool:

Patrick DSP
02-09-2005, 08:48 PM
depeche mode
new order
the klf
s-express
sunscreem

around that time period for me and any other cassette i could steal from my brother.

The Overfiend
02-09-2005, 10:06 PM
bambatta
breakdancing to electro early 80's

Sunil
02-09-2005, 10:13 PM
I strongly remember a track by Utah Saints called "Somthing good"
Also a 808 state track with a sample in that was somthing like out of a western?? violins etc....?? not sure what it was called. & a track call "Das Boot" im sure all of these tracks had somthing to do with me getting into it all, i remember them giving me a rite buzz at the time!!

Yeah, "Das Boot" was by U 96, that was a nice tune. "I Wanna Be A Kennedy" was another good one of theirs too!

Sunil
02-09-2005, 10:31 PM
Too much music I had on tapes and stuff, but didn't always know the names. I think the radio was still the major place I'd hear stuff and record it if I liked it.

Rave wise I guess Messiah, Prodigy, KLF and others... The whole visual/ psychedelic aspect of rave or electronic music videos on TV really buzzed me, the music seemed to have so much depth, it was the ultimate package both sonically and visually. I guess my path into techno came from German and Dutch hardcore techno, as well as UK hardcore and jungle.

Mirsha
02-09-2005, 10:38 PM
Adam Beyer lured me into techno but Tube Jerk stole my soul with Eight. Which I just got yesterday on vinyl.

Sunil
02-09-2005, 11:03 PM
I think the synth pop basis to so many songs of the 80s could certainly be the first electronic influence for many people. I had put Human League, Soft Cell, Ultravox, Gary Numan or whoever in the same bracket as Kraftwerk even though in later times I found out it was more correct for people to namecheck Kraftwerk head and shoulders above everyone else. For me the others had more songs that I liked though :clap: That said, the only Kraftwerk song I ever really remember from back then was "The Model".

massplanck
02-09-2005, 11:13 PM
That said, the only Kraftwerk song I ever really remember from back then was "The Model".

I hope to be laying into a model tommorrow night whilst they are playing that. ;)

Sunil
02-09-2005, 11:20 PM
That said, the only Kraftwerk song I ever really remember from back then was "The Model".

I hope to be laying into a model tommorrow night whilst they are playing that. ;)

haha, I'll bring you back to the Assets Modelling agency vip lounge Steve, you'll like it there. Apparantly they're all single and into Mayo men :twisted:

sputnik242
02-09-2005, 11:40 PM
Being an old get of 35 I'd say one of the first electronic tracks I remember hearing & liking must've been The Tornado's with Telstar obviously though a few years after it came out! Then I fell in love with all the 80s new wave stuff as a pre-teenager and the rest is history!

sputnik242
02-09-2005, 11:44 PM
Also a 808 state track with a sample in that was somthing like out of a western?? violins etc....??

That'll be MC Tunes v 808 States - The Only Rhyme That Bites with the samples from The Big Country movie ;)

Sunil
02-09-2005, 11:49 PM
Then I fell in love with all the 80s new wave stuff as a pre-teenager and the rest is history!

You're not a Devo fan by any chance? I've only come across them recently and am sorry I had missed out on them for so many years. They're ****in brilliant :clap:

massplanck
02-09-2005, 11:57 PM
haha, I'll bring you back to the Assets Modelling agency vip lounge Steve, you'll like it there. Apparantly they're all single and into Mayo men :twisted:

:love:

Shes a Model and shes looking good
I'd like to take her home its understood.

Asswerk.

Sunil
02-09-2005, 11:58 PM

:love:

Shes a Model and shes looking good
I'd like to take her home its understood.

Asswerk.

You can have Glenda Gilson and I'll have Roberta Rowat, they were looking hot in the paper today :love:

sputnik242
02-09-2005, 11:59 PM
You're not a Devo fan by any chance? I've only come across them recently and am sorry I had missed out on them for so many years. They're **** brilliant :clap:

Nah man, but Are We Not Men? No We Are Devo is a top track
it's mostly (especially) Depeche Mode plus Heaven 17, Human League, Numan etc ;)

sputnik242
03-09-2005, 12:01 AM
oh and Whip It too!

Whip it real good! :lol:

Sunil
03-09-2005, 12:05 AM
You're not a Devo fan by any chance? I've only come across them recently and am sorry I had missed out on them for so many years. They're **** brilliant :clap:

it's mostly (especially) Depeche Mode plus Heaven 17, Human League, Numan etc ;)

Yeah it is. If I could get in a time machine I'd go back to 1978 and see them play :love: Would probably pop by to a Gary Numan concert too ;)

Sunil
03-09-2005, 12:11 AM
oh and Whip It too!

Whip it real good! :lol:

Yeah, that's good, their big hit I think... an instant favourite of mine was "Shrivel Up", something really cool about that, haven't felt a connection with a piece of music like that in ages. It actually came into a dream of mine one night and woke me up it had made such an mark.

A bit of Devo trivia... the main opening hook in Layo & Bushwacka's dance smash "Love Story" is taken directly from Devo's "Mongroloid".. they also sampled Beefheart and Nina Simone in that!

audioinjection
03-09-2005, 01:06 AM
poing!!!

and some hardcore track with a japanese girl singing on it

dan the acid man
03-09-2005, 01:08 AM
listening to jean michelle jarre's london docklands concert on radio 1 was quite influential for me too

iffi
03-09-2005, 01:42 AM
Kraftwerk,The KLF,early Tangerine Dream,early Pink Floyd,Stockhausen (not too much) and probably more if my memory still worked ;)

MITA
03-09-2005, 02:12 PM
cannot say that a single track has turned me into techno.
started with jarre productrions,kraftwerk,then technotronic,,
after that some deep trance shite,then the prodigy,and after that mills
after that some psytrance..
well, that was my way to the tech scene.

Mindful
03-09-2005, 02:20 PM
1.James Brown is dead :love:

Mindful
03-09-2005, 02:23 PM
Also a 808 state track with a sample in that was somthing like out of a western?? violins etc....?? not sure what it was called

Mc Tunes and 808 state the onley rhyme that bites
:love: wow I love that tune(Manchester boys too)

Mindful
03-09-2005, 02:26 PM
For me I remember when house became popular over here and there was all that hip house shit and I started listening to some acid house tapes my mate got hold of.
But realy started getting in to it proper via 808 state and the show they used to have on sunset 102 on the radio

The Divide
03-09-2005, 06:29 PM
I strongly remember a track by Utah Saints called "Somthing good"!

I shoplifted the single of that from a woolworth's discount bin when I was about 12

LOL

That was the 1st cd I ever, errr owened :doh:

I guess I could say that, probably the prodigy more tho :lol:

rotten
04-09-2005, 11:47 AM
No good!

FIK
04-09-2005, 01:01 PM
Leftfield-Leftism

Ritzi Lee
04-09-2005, 07:03 PM
MC Hammer - Don't touch this!

rotten
04-09-2005, 08:37 PM

Don't touch this! dom, dom dom dom dom dom dom dom, dom dom dom Don't touch this!
Don't touch this! dom, dom dom dom dom dom dom dom, dom dom dom Don't touch this!
Don't touch this! dom, dom dom dom dom dom dom dom, dom dom dom Don't touch this!Don't touch this! dom, dom dom dom dom dom dom dom, dom dom dom Don't touch this!Don't touch this! dom, dom dom dom dom dom dom dom, dom dom dom Don't touch this!

Aratron
04-09-2005, 09:19 PM
STAKKER - HUMANOID

The Overfiend
04-09-2005, 09:48 PM
I'll be your friend ;)

wrong
05-09-2005, 07:09 AM
zsa zsa la boum - something scary
little little - tickle me
art of noise - close up (or is it close to the edit...can't remember the name)
renegade soundwave - thunder

and too many others to mention

wrong
05-09-2005, 07:18 AM

Don't touch this! dom, dom dom dom dom dom dom dom, dom dom dom Don't touch this!Don't touch this! dom, dom dom dom dom dom dom dom, dom dom dom Don't touch this!Don't touch this! dom, dom dom dom dom dom dom dom, dom dom dom Don't touch this!

Can't touch this? :!:

The Overfiend
05-09-2005, 07:23 AM
Straight up house brought me into techno.
Relief Records and the likes, Touche Records, then Laidback Luke.
Progression

francois
05-09-2005, 07:48 PM
it's mostly (especially) Depeche Mode plus Heaven 17, Human League, Numan etc ;)[/quote]

Not forgetting the unforgettable mongoloid! Being a bit of an old fart my folks bought walter (now wendy LOL) carlos' "switched on Bach" I fell in love with electronic music the moment I heard it-was into kraftwek, tangerine dream, neu, Can and all that stuff, though in the modern era, at a rave in the middle of all the hands in the air cheeze, that rumbling bassline of energy flash slowly emerging from a mix blew the head off me!

grain
05-09-2005, 08:27 PM
The Orb - U.F.Orb

Primal Scream - Sceamadelica (produced by Andy Weatherall)

... I was an indie kid at the time and there were alot of indie bands crossing over to dance music... Happy Mondays, Utah Saints, EMF...

... then I slid down the slippery slope to the rave... Prodigy, KLF, N-Joi, Dream Frequency, SL2, GTO, Sheep on Drugs, Mickey Finn (when he used to play "jungle-techno"),
... then the trance... Harthouse, Rising High, Frankfurt Beat..... then theres a thin blurry line between that and techno... R&S, Orbital, FSOL.....

And now....? I'd be here all day...

I'd love to hear some music from 2050...

:lol:

grain
05-09-2005, 08:31 PM
-Summer of sam, my avatar is like the mutant twin of yours, I just noticed!!

wittyname
05-09-2005, 08:53 PM
aphex twin come to daddy i remember seeing it on mtv. it freaked me out to ****. i think thats what mad it all so interesting

Mindful
05-09-2005, 09:06 PM
STAKKER - HUMANOID

BOOP BOOP

Mindful
05-09-2005, 09:07 PM
-Summer of sam, my avatar is like the mutant twin of yours, I just noticed!!

hahahahahaha cool

Sunil
05-09-2005, 10:10 PM
EMF...

I forgot about them! I used to have them written on my schoolbag :rambo: They were unbelievable :doh:
Y'know there's sometimes records of theirs in the bargain bin at Spindizzy? I got two Level 42 albums in mint condition in there last week for a euro each :clap:

Sunil
05-09-2005, 10:14 PM
Can

Been listening to them a bit recently. Being honest Damo Suzuki's voice doesn't always move me, but the music is sometimes astounding. Still thinking of going to see Damo play this month, he's performing at that Spiegeltent thing.

distek
06-09-2005, 01:25 AM
Also a 808 state track with a sample in that was somthing like out of a western?? violins etc....??

That'll be MC Tunes v 808 States - The Only Rhyme That Bites with the samples from The Big Country movie ;)

got it in one m8!!! haha i cant actually sing the rhyme in my head now!! hehe ;)

dinendal
06-09-2005, 12:44 PM
My 2 Euro's worth -

Blue Monday - The Beach - New Order
And the duo Cabaret Voltaire really influenced me.

Ritzi Lee
06-09-2005, 02:17 PM

Can't touch this? :!:

Ofcourse "CAN'T TOUCH THIS". :doh: :doh: :doh:

daviec
06-09-2005, 02:59 PM
I got into it pretty gradually, but it was around the time of KLF, Utah saints. I remember being well impressed with MARRS Pump Up The Volume, but probably the main turning point for me was finding a copy of the Shamen's Boss Drum album in the park near my house. :lol:

Agent Orange NYC
08-09-2005, 05:45 PM
Def the Hip House/ Acid house mix tapes that my older bro's friends used to get were so inspiring to me. The music seemed so mysterious to me cause i was way to young to get into clubs. I would put them on really late at night and close my eyes and imagine what it was like in the clubs right at that moment. How they would be dancing, and picturing the lights and all the Bass.

Some specific names would be: Fast Eddie, Tyree Cooper, Trax Records, all the Todd Terry stuff especially "Girl I'll House You" and of course Maurice- This Is Acid

holotropik
09-09-2005, 08:38 AM
For me it was a mob down here (in OZ) called Def FX. They were a sort of surfer thrash electro rave band in the early 90's who used lots of korg and roland gear.

BloodStar
09-09-2005, 09:05 AM
No Limit from 2 Unlimited

RDR
09-09-2005, 11:53 AM
S-express - theme from s-Express and kraftwerk.

soma
09-09-2005, 01:43 PM
sesames treat

xfive
09-09-2005, 02:02 PM
sesames treat

shit I thought I was the only one

soma
09-09-2005, 03:50 PM
don't worry. there's a few of us out there.

The old kaos theory tapes.

lol

the good old days. ;)

AcidTrash
09-09-2005, 06:44 PM
FLat eric
Hey girl, hey boy (chemical bors)
Blade theme/Confusion
Stay up forever.

audioinjection
10-09-2005, 12:22 AM
sesame street, pacman, tetris....oh yeah and the old trax (chicago) stuff too

The Overfiend
10-09-2005, 12:28 AM
sesame street, pacman, tetris....oh yeah and the old trax (chicago) stuff too :clap:

Analbumcover
10-09-2005, 10:33 AM
Cubik...

MARKEG
10-09-2005, 10:37 AM
the most inspiring track in my life?

model 500 - no ufo's

easy

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

RDR
10-09-2005, 11:23 AM

model 500 - no ufo's

easy

They say there is, is no, there is no UFOs! ;)

francois
10-09-2005, 12:57 PM

model 500 - no ufo's

easy

game one by infinity, aka juan was also light years ahead of it's time

Agent Orange NYC
13-09-2005, 09:45 PM
So funny how Juan Atkins is lightyears behind his time now :oops:

Symmetric
13-09-2005, 10:12 PM
Ministry - Thieves, and all of The Mind Is a Terrible Thing to Taste

This led me to Skinny Puppy's Mind:The Perpetual Intercourse
Puppy is still my absolute favorite musical entity.

When I first heard dance oriented electronic, it was The Movement and Lords of Acid, which I liked, but what really hooked me was Prodigy's Experience and the Orb's Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld

tocsin
13-09-2005, 10:16 PM
^^^ Pretty similar to that actually. Various hip-hop and industrial. Particularly Public Enemy and Ministry. Lords of Acid was probably the first rave/electronic group of which I bought an album. Dunno what happened them. Went further with the cheese but lost the edge.

Paul Zykotik
15-09-2005, 11:12 PM
Lords Of Acid was the same guy behind Praga Khan if I remember rightly.

For me it would have been when rave was the buzzword in the charts, K-Klass, Dream Frequency, Isotonik etc...moved from there into full on old skool hardcore (which I still love to this day). My first contact with techno was on the Dreamscape tape packs in 95, when they started booking dj's like Colin Faver and Dave Angel. Didn't know anything about it, then in 98 a friend played me some records he'd just bought on Primate, Tortured etc and it went from there.

conflict
16-09-2005, 12:08 AM
moby

Go

davethedrummer
16-09-2005, 06:58 AM
moby

Go

good choice :clap:

The Teknoist.
16-09-2005, 09:48 AM
New Order - Blue Monday
Various Cabaret Voltaire tracks
Aphex Twin - Didgeridoo, Selected Ambient Works.
Warp records' Artificial Intelligence collection ie. Autechre - Incunabula, Speedy J - Ginger etc.
Joey Beltram - Energy Flash

there really is so many i could name tbh.. it was really hard to just pick some of the 1st tracks i heard.

The Teknoist.
16-09-2005, 09:52 AM
awwww! and Pullover obviously haha

eyeswithoutaface
16-09-2005, 11:31 AM
i couldnt pin down one track as something that turned my head really, more of a combination of going to local techno nights, listening to Kraftwerk and old hardcore and breakbeat in my house as a child, but pivotal tracks definately include

the old old, SND series (anyone know who was behind them)
Seawolf
any Aphex especially Analogue Bubblebath, Polynomial C, Didgeridoo
early Carl Cox Fact and mix tapes
Kraftwerk
Atkins, certainly "No UFO's"

even chillout stuff like Up, Bustle and Out!, Ninja Tune, Thievery, K+D, Gilles Peterson's old World Service show, Boards Of Canada all helped me to understand what i liked when it came to the different aspects of electronic music

doc12inch
16-09-2005, 01:08 PM
2 unlimited - no no

278d7e64a374de26f==