PDA

View Full Version : how many parts in your tracks

da hound
02-09-2005, 03:50 PM
just wandering how many parts do u guys use in ur tracks lately ive been trying 2 use less parts but make every part that i use sound bigger have been useing 12-14 parts when i used 2 use 20+ parts plus i think when u get 2 the mixdown u can spend more time on parts than say u could when tryin 2 mix down a track with 20+ parts also its a bit easier on the brain with less tracks

stjohn
02-09-2005, 09:33 PM
how many parts has a grown up got?

stjohn
02-09-2005, 09:44 PM
SERIOUSLY THO!!!!!!! :shock:

i know what ye mean... i can hear it in a few of my minimal tek records.....

maybe a few of the exact same sounds.... just really worked on
panned here, reverbed there, delayed there, more panning.... and because there so little tracks and sounds, theres space for all that work.

i tend to use about eh...... maybe 10-15 track. alot of them working to make just the one rythmn or loop.

LESS IS MORE!!!!!!!
HAIL STALIN!

Komplex
03-09-2005, 03:01 AM
I know exactly what you're talking about. It depends on the feel of the track tho and what you want to write. You can have simple tracks and you can have complex/busy tracks, the busy ones always end up with more parts but its too easy to go over the top and fuk it right up, something I have to learn to stop doing :)

In general I'll usually have a kick part, percussion parts (anything from a few clonks and hats to a whole bunch of sounds and a few looped snippets or resampled bits) a bass part, synth parts (leads, pads etc - anything from 1 to 3 or 4 sounds) and one or two "extra" parts with efx things or random one shots or whatever.

In the end it just comes down to what a track requires to get the ideas across.

Mindful
03-09-2005, 07:43 PM
I knock up quite a count im pretty bad for it and end up with loads.
Ill have like maybe 5 tracks for just one hat pattern.
But eventually I will bounce them down to free up a bit of space and make it easyer for arrangement.

I keep trying to be a bit more minnimal and keep things simple but allways end up with loads in the end.

Evil G
03-09-2005, 08:14 PM
i'd say i use about 15 tracks on average, but i've got some that are busier. the most i've used is 66.

acidsaturation
04-09-2005, 05:01 PM
Yeh - I use quite a lot, but often 2 or three "tracks" for one sound - either 'cos I've doubled it or with variations (most of my stuff's recorded from boxes from my live ideas as wavs then dumped into Acid to string it together)

Lets think... (trying to discect what I'm listening to now...)

2 kick parts
Sub bassy pulse - doubled up using 2 sounds for a composite part
2 variataions of bass guitar part doing a rumbly mid bass
Guitar (composite from 3 different samples)
3 hat patterns
Ride
vocal samples (9 tracks cos 9 different samples but all one part)
303 line
2 tracks of a wierd loop made from radio static
snare fill
incidental sweepy sounds (3 different)
Breakbeat loop (2 variations)
Drone pad

Thats a kind of average tune for me - so 13 distinguishable parts, but maybe twice as many actual tracks.

But have also gone up to 60 or so tracks, but again less actual "parts".

holotropik
06-09-2005, 01:35 PM
Coz i work from hardware i have about 20-25 parts available. But not all of them are used at once.
Generally, I have about 10 to 15 working at any one time. These are a combo of single sounds (kicks, hatz etc) & samples of recorded percussions & a couple of different synth patches.

RDR
06-09-2005, 10:45 PM
around 10-20

TechMouse
07-09-2005, 10:59 AM
Trying to cut down.

Normally in the region of 15 / 20, I think... possibly a few less when sounds are logically grouped together in Cubase for processing.

Put a track together last weekend and stuck with only 5 or 6 sounds and it sound much more raw and fierce... with the added bonus of being able to really dirt up each sound and make it big.

Evil G
08-09-2005, 01:26 AM
just finished loading up the sampler for a show this weekend, and discovered that i'm actually using a few more parts than i thought. average of 22 samples per track, though some parts do use more than one sample.

BloodStar
09-09-2005, 09:59 AM
depends on track. probably 10-30.

278d7e64a374de26f==