PDA

View Full Version : Jerome Hill

MARKEG
05-07-2003, 06:30 AM
I know many of us on here are massive fans of his DJing ability. I heard him for the first time about 3 months ago and was totally blown away. Oh my god he did a mix with 'White Lines' and I think I wet myself. But hey - that was only one set! Has anyone got any links to his mixes/info about him for those who don't know/info about what parties he's at etc etc????

Perhaps we can all talk about the way/what he mixes and why ppl seem to love it so much? Is he really the future of techno or are ppl just getting all nostalgic cause he's playing alot of older stuff in a very clever way?

Perhaps all the older genration believe the 'future of techno' is to mix the old with the new??? But is this really the way forward????

Interesting indeed.

davethedrummer
05-07-2003, 01:26 PM
jerome is definately the king of wonk in my opinion
although he would make a face if he read that
which is why i like him really
i was talking to rob stow yesterday (the other half of groove asylum and a damn fine techno producer to boot)
and the shop is still going but i think cash is pretty tight. basically the guy that runs the place is not prepared to give anymore of the shop floor space over to jerome and not prepared to advertise ie. upfront/dj etc etc
but constantly bothers jerome about the fact that the shop needs more trade.
perhaps it's time for him to get out and do his own thing i'm sure it would work as many of you will agree im sure that it's very much the vibe of the shop that counts in many peoples minds y'know, the staff and their knowledge is what brings you back time and time again and no one has more knowledge in his feild than jerome i think
let's hope things pick up
in fact get active and go down there and get some blinding new records!
tracheadz- kentish town high road ( can't remeber the number but it's roughly in the middle of kentish town and camden town tube stations.

BritishMurderBoy
05-07-2003, 06:06 PM
i not really heard much about this man but with kudos like that for you too im looking forawrd to his appearance alongside timbeland at House of God on the 25th of july:

BritishMurderBoy
05-07-2003, 06:06 PM
i not really heard much about this man but with kudos like that from you two im looking forawrd to his appearance alongside timbeland at House of God on the 25th of july:

crime
05-07-2003, 07:09 PM
Mark, Have you checked out the dogma mix? It's right by the recording of my live act from the same night http://www.clubdogma.com/mediatunes.htm

We surely kicked some 'burger arse that night, it was dogma vs Uglyfunk... I was so glad I was playing live and not djing, he's a real tough act to follow!

crime
05-07-2003, 07:12 PM
i'm sure it would work as many of you will agree im sure that it's very much the vibe of the shop that counts in many peoples minds y'know, the staff and their knowledge is what brings you back time and time again and no one has more knowledge in his feild than jerome i think
I've been buying records from Jerome for 3 years or so, and I must say it's really refreshing to go to a shop and instead of being met with scowls and arsyness, be met with "what are you into, mate?" and being given 50+ tunes to check out in your own time.. kept me coming back time and time again....

davethedrummer
05-07-2003, 09:37 PM
**** is jerome playing at h.o.g.????!!!???
that's wicked
he'll tear it up!!!!

schlongfingers
05-07-2003, 09:54 PM
I know many of us on here are massive fans of his DJing ability. I heard him for the first time about 3 months ago and was totally blown away. Oh my god he did a mix with 'White Lines' and I think I wet myself. But hey - that was only one set! Has anyone got any links to his mixes/info about him for those who don't know/info about what parties he's at etc etc????

He's playing at Ugly Funk next Saturday (the 12th July) at The Dungeons, London E10

Also, there will be a cracking 2hour+ mix from Jerome available on the Overload Media website mid next week, I'll let you know when it's live.

MARKEG
06-07-2003, 05:05 AM
right i just checked out his set on dogma.

this is what i think now from driving down the M1 in a car:

i don't like his scratching - although it defo adds his own 'style' to the sound.

i felt that he wasn't playing anything 'new'. although he was totally unique and as far as a 'live' dj set goes, he was technically very good.

i used to be into this sound about 5-10 yrs ago - labels like Tresor/Sativae and Cris Vogel/Neil Landstrumm. Si Begg/Tim Wright are obviously huge influeces in his sound.

but what is so innovaive about this style. it's been around for years?

no matter how much i'll wet myself to this stuff, i don't find it innovative, but i DO totally love it.

crime
06-07-2003, 11:23 AM
I think you have to look back to look forward, and surely the job of a good dj is to mix the best of the old , with the most cutting edge of the new stuff.. I can understand your reservations with the scratching, but you gotta admit, the bit with the accapella over the primate record is really cool...

I recon it's essencial to mash up old stuff with new when you dj... if you want totally new stuff then check out live stuff, I recon it's only with Live stuff you really stand a chance to totally hear stuff you havn't heard before....

Paul Nisbet
06-07-2003, 02:24 PM
Was he playin at dogma (Edinburgh)???? Dunno, bout it being essential too mix up old and new, personally i like too be upfront as possible. Kinda annoys me when djs play loads of old tunes.

And on the record shop note, there is nothing better in the whole world than friendly staff... there is FOPP store in edinburgh, and they are arsey as ****, i also play trance and harder sounds of trance, and if the arsey blues livin guy snarls at me again for buyin hard tech or hard trance, im gonna jump over the counter and give him something too gobble on.

crime
06-07-2003, 02:27 PM
on top of this, I do really feel that the majority of music you'll hear at a techno night is one sound and that's it... The whole scene sometimes seems to have become segregated...I remember times when people used to put a vogel tune next to an advent tune, so the sound was more varied, people these days just seem to want to hear one kind of thing and that's it... Fair enough if you like that, but personally I'm not really into it, I find it boring, hearing people playing one record after the next that seem to me to sound exactly the same... Sometimes it feels like people have become so obsessed with the production, that the actual content is forgotten about... Yeah, Jerome plays a lot of old stuff, but he plays a lot of new stuff as well, the more Abstract style that followed on from Sativae/Drought, New artists such as Rotorik, Marcin Czubala, Bill Youngman, Forshaw.. And in a world where everyone is going on about a certain DJ's "Skills" and their ability to cut scratch and whatever, jerome is tight, and would seriously give anyone else a serious run for their money.......

BritishMurderBoy
06-07-2003, 03:42 PM
yeah he is playing hog on the 25th of july should be a goodun.. when u say scratching mark do you mean full on turntablaism or just bits here and there.. i'm very intrigued now...

davethedrummer
06-07-2003, 08:49 PM
i'll jump in for mark in answer
it's just a bit of scrtching really (only on the left hand deck actually)
y'know i've played with jerome hundreds of times at squat parties and i have to say that it's just recently that he's really got going in his style.
he's always been jerome that's for sure but maybe he's just believing in himself a little more these days and playing better as a result.

i mean i've seen jerome totallly plod the crowd out and then the acid techno guy comes on and blows the place up
and in the same breath he has stood the party on it's head after many acid techno and techno djs have bored everyone sensless.
basically my point is that too much of one thing is just ****ing boring for everyone.
you need old records/ hard records / cutting edge records/ clubby records
in essence we need jerome but he needs us
BUT!

no more ragga please i ****ing hate ragga!

davethedrummer
06-07-2003, 08:50 PM
sorry got that wrong its the right hand deck

davethedrummer
06-07-2003, 08:54 PM
actually i say just a bit of scratchning
it's very good scratching

BritishMurderBoy
06-07-2003, 10:30 PM
sounds like im in for an interesting night then at the end of the month: i listened to the set from dogma i understand what you saying about the monotony of it: after the first 30 minutes I felt like i had heard all i was goin to hear (if you get me drift) he plays some nice music though:

to be honest im looking forward to it now:

DJZeMig_L
07-07-2003, 01:03 AM
Just my thoughs exactly I wouldn't say (at all) that I play any really out of this world stuff or amazing skills.. but this is somethin I feel very strongly about ... techno is really diverse so I think u can serve up a really good melange... sure u have 2 b carefull and keep the plot, but it is really great seing ppl like :D cause they don't know were u r taking them next (mind u while keeping 2 the 4/4 techno :) ) .... seriously try getting some wacky booty vocals over a hardtechno tune and see people going crazy!! eheheh
I played not so long ago with a "very famous" dj/ producer (Italian name ending in ola) and although he had very good skills I totally bored me out.. 30 m and I called it a night.. in fact I think that if he had worst skills would b better 'cause it would sound like such a continuos bongo/ conga loop :) ..

Z

BritishMurderBoy
07-07-2003, 02:05 AM
DJ Ze MigL: do you have any sets online mate? i'd be interested in having a listen?

wenna
07-07-2003, 09:50 AM
it doesn't really build that much. and the scratching, whats the point????

T
07-07-2003, 12:04 PM
perhaps it's time for him to get out and do his own thing i'm sure it would work as many of you will agree im sure that it's very much the vibe of the shop that counts in many peoples minds y'know, the staff and their knowledge is what brings you back time and time again and no one has more knowledge in his feild than jerome i think
let's hope things pick up
in fact get active and go down there and get some blinding new records!
tracheadz- kentish town high road ( can't remeber the number but it's roughly in the middle of kentish town and camden town tube stations.

Definitley, staff are so helpful there....no matter who you are, great range of music also.

DJZeMig_L
07-07-2003, 02:11 PM
well not really sure... supose so... I've heard of 1 from 97 (the mixing is :oops: ) and one from Geneve.. I think there is also somethin from Germany !?

Gimme yer addy I'll try 2 get some over 4 ya... but really don't get yer expectations really high on my djing :?

Z

T
07-07-2003, 02:15 PM
Mr Ze Mig L, I picked up one of your tunes a while ago, 'crank em knobs EP' on fined?
jackin stuff mate, 2 tracks on their i really like, on in particular, got a bit of breakbeat in their somewhere and nice and funky. good effort!

Angrymann
07-07-2003, 04:22 PM
I saw him at the Dogma that someone was referring to (yes it is in Edinburgh) and I thought it was quality. The boy looks well relaxed when he mixes and the scratching I thought was pretty good , seeing as he was only using a DJM 600 and not a scratch mixer , not seen many folk who can scratch that well not using a scratch mixer. But that said I have never ****ed about with the cross fader adjustments on that mixer , so it could be a simple flick of a switch.

Anyway , I am blabbering here. I thought he was a breath of fresh air compared to some dj's and I think that is why people may be talking about him. Like Dave said , he has played with him at the Squat parties many times , so people going to these will be well aware of his style , but those punters paying in to most Techno clubs , won't have heard anything like it.

Most dj's turn up , play tunes and leave. Most of the time it's just 4/4 , little or no tricks and little or no variation of stlye or tune.

crime
07-07-2003, 06:06 PM
Word

DJZeMig_L
08-07-2003, 12:59 AM
Hey T thankz... Fined is /was (dunno really if it's going 2 continue @ this time) my label so I kinda alowed myself 2 go where I wanted :)
But then again I kinda always did that anywayz lol...

I think U'd probably like FIned 1 (try integrale) and maybe Holzplatten 61 (try Neuton)! ;)

Thankz 4 the kind words!

:)

Z

Tony
18-07-2003, 11:53 PM
jerome is the king of wonk!!!
a good mate now, can have an ace laugh with him. his mix cd he sent me was amazing.

mark: you may not find this sound innovative because its been around a few years, but what hasnt and you must realise that wonk is a whole other industry. different distributors as well as a lot of the faves. its different to techno in the marketing aspect (blbehehghgh, gagging blood there!) i am extremely aware of this scene and on the crest of the wonk wave jeromes hanging ten (?!!?!)

HOG will be fantastic but i dont know if i'll be there or in london.

go to his shop!!! he is one of this countrys very few good buyers behind the counter.
go to the website. buy more records!!!!

crime
20-07-2003, 11:20 PM
but what hasnt and you must realise that wonk is a whole other industry. different distributors as well as a lot of the faves. its different to techno in the marketing aspect (blbehehghgh, gagging blood there!)

I'm really sorry, but (IMHO) I've never read such a load of gibberish in my life... since when was techno about "Marketing" and "Industries"... Apologies Tony, I don't want you to take offence, but I feel the problem with techno these days is the fact that people want to catagorise is into nice little boxes they can understand.. Obviously this fits in well in a supposed "Business" Sense, unfortunatly not in the business of the kind of records we sell.... "Wonky" as a term was originally coined by Jerome, as he put it as a section in his shop, that was fair enough... to see it as any kind of "Scene" or "Movement" is insane... all it is is a few people in various different places getting the simelar ideas at a simelar point in time.. I.E. we were all bored of the Loop techno thing, and wanted to do something different, that was in the true spirit of techno i.e. sounds you've never heard before/futuristic music... To be honest, I personally would at least like to think it's a lot more part of the techno thing than a lot of stuff around at the moment, in the way it follows the spirit of innovation and stuff that actually sounds different (I.e.sounds you've never heard before, not just a drumloop).... Surely that's what it's all about?

Sunil
20-07-2003, 11:53 PM
"Wonky" as a term was originally coined by Jerome, as he put it as a section in his shop

It was also coined "Pop n' jerk" at a record shop here in Dublin. Not sure if Ollie Moore was the guy that thought of the name or whether it was already in existence! I thought it was a good name anyway :)

Sunil
21-07-2003, 12:03 AM
but what hasnt and you must realise that wonk is a whole other industry. different distributors as well as a lot of the faves. its different to techno in the marketing aspect (blbehehghgh, gagging blood there!)

I'm really sorry, but (IMHO) I've never read such a load of gibberish in my life... since when was techno about "Marketing" and "Industries"... Apologies Tony, I don't want you to take offence, but I feel the problem with techno these days is the fact that people want to catagorise is into nice little boxes they can understand.. Obviously this fits in well in a supposed "Business" Sense, unfortunatly not in the business of the kind of records we sell.... "Wonky" as a term was originally coined by Jerome, as he put it as a section in his shop, that was fair enough... to see it as any kind of "Scene" or "Movement" is insane... all it is is a few people in various different places getting the simelar ideas at a simelar point in time.. I.E. we were all bored of the Loop techno thing, and wanted to do something different, that was in the true spirit of techno i.e. sounds you've never heard before/futuristic music... To be honest, I personally would at least like to think it's a lot more part of the techno thing than a lot of stuff around at the moment, in the way it follows the spirit of innovation and stuff that actually sounds different (I.e.sounds you've never heard before, not just a drumloop).... Surely that's what it's all about?

I see what you are saying, I think the problem with "Wonky" as a sub genre is that it alienates people. If they hear one or two records from a "Wonky" producer that they don't like they will dismiss that whole band of producers entirely in the future. Landstrumm/Schmidt/Vogel etc. are often construed as the same person in a way, and only because they do things a bit differently and happen to know each other. It's like if someone doesn't like a tune by one of them, it'll be "I hate all that ****ed up stuff". Anyway let's hope Fergie will be caning the wonky in 2004!

crime
21-07-2003, 09:57 AM
Thing is, Landstrumm Schmidt and Vogel are not the be all and end all of that kind of music, not on the dancefloor angle anyway.. they're been more on their album plots for the past few years, and just generally experimenting with music... and this is the problem with sweeping generalisations, you can't just say "It all sounds the same" in fact, I find it quite laughable that anyone who is into hard dancefloor techno, can say that anything else "All sounds the same", to me that's a case of the pot calling the kettle black, and people being generally scared of something different and wanting to stay in the safe realm of the 4/4 kickdrum and pumping groove....

Angrymann
21-07-2003, 03:51 PM
Everyone I talk to these days is going on about , why are there so many sub divisions of techno and people creating sub genre's etc, most people get quite uppity and angry about it. Why???

The way I see it and it's quite simple , it actually has to be done now , because Techno has been expanded on so much , unlike any other form of electronic music as far as I know. In the beginning there was Berlin Techno , then I suppose it was Detroit Techno , then we ****ed about with it over here and formed UK Techno , then you could say there was a big wave of Swedish techno. All different plays on the same ORIGINAL STYLE of music which is TECHNO.

Nowadays however , Techno is bigger, it has to be subdivided because there are so many more records out , so many more labels , so many more guys trawling the record shops etc etc. So the guys in the shop have to know what you want so that they can get you records you like , otherwise we would all be in shops for about a week just saying " ME LIKE TECHNO , GIVE ME RECORD".

It's just what happens when people push the existing boundaries so much that it has to be slotted into it's own category , just to make it easier for folk.

It is bad in a way , because you may miss records cause you aren't listening to everything , but if you are in a club and you hear a track you haven't heard and you like it , you will ask what it's called and buy it , even if you thought you didn't like "wonk" or whatever.

If you like tracks enough you'll find them and if you don't that's your own fault for having preconceptions.

crime
21-07-2003, 05:08 PM
I see what you are saying, I think the problem with "Wonky" as a sub genre is that it alienates people. If they hear one or two records from a "Wonky" producer that they don't like they will dismiss that whole band of producers entirely in the future. Landstrumm/Schmidt/Vogel etc. are often construed as the same person in a way, and only because they do things a bit differently and happen to know each other.
What is often forgotten is the fact that these people do a lot of different sounding stuff, so just hearing one track is not neccesarily a good indication of what the rest of their stuff is like....

Sunil
21-07-2003, 07:58 PM
Thing is, Landstrumm Schmidt and Vogel are not the be all and end all of that kind of music, not on the dancefloor angle anyway.. they're been more on their album plots for the past few years, and just generally experimenting with music... and this is the problem with sweeping generalisations, you can't just say "It all sounds the same" in fact, I find it quite laughable that anyone who is into hard dancefloor techno, can say that anything else "All sounds the same", to me that's a case of the pot calling the kettle black, and people being generally scared of something different and wanting to stay in the safe realm of the 4/4 kickdrum and pumping groove....

I agree with you totally here. I know Lanstrumm and some of those guys are just some of the producers that may come under the banner we are discussing, I just thought i'd use them as an example. I am surprised by some people who dismiss styles other than straight dancefloor techno, especially those who may have been listening to techno for quite a long time. Now above all is the time people should be looking to something a bit different. I know it's been going for ages but I personally would like to see booty make a bit of a re-emergence too, maybe I should start a new thread for this!

crime
21-07-2003, 08:18 PM
I been playing Databass and intuit solar stuff in sets for a while now, really breaks shit up and gets the floor rockin...

Tony
28-07-2003, 05:41 PM
crime: you seem to have jumped on what i said quite un-neccescarily. i dont know, do you sell records for a living? i do and i can quite clearly identify several entire distributors that only carry what has clearly emerged as a genre, wether you wish to call it wonk, leftfield techno, mutant electro, apocalyptic rave, i've heard a million different names. it DOES have to be marketed differently, it DOES get sold to different people than so called 'straight techno'. to say that techno is not about marketing is quite naive. if you want to sell anything, toothbrushes, pots and pans, you need to plan how to go about it. so trust me, whatever you wish to call it, it can quite clearly be defined as different in a business sense though it could be played right next to something that is clearly not from this WONDERFUL NEW GENRE YOU CAN QUOTE TO IMPRESS THE LADIES ;-)

crime
28-07-2003, 08:16 PM
Tony, sorry mate, but I just found it all a bit non sensical to be calling it an "Industry" when it's such a small thing... Obviously, you are going to view it differently, because you are selling records on a distribution level... in a roundabout way I do sell records, and I suppose the focus is different for me, as I'm making music, so I'm not going to be so into pidgeon holes as this can lead to "genreised" music, i.e. music that is written in a certain style so it fits in nicely, which to be honest isn't going to push things forward... I'm interested in pushing things forward, and doing stuff that sounds different, I suppose these descriptive terms are needed when you get that deep into the business side... I just wouldn't say there was a "Wonk" scene, I play at clubs all over the place that have quite a variety of techno and other music, I suppose we're viewing the same thing from totally different viewpoints.... :wink:

crime
28-07-2003, 08:21 PM
Anyway, I think this has gone off topic enough, and I wouldn't want to fall into the trap of inanely arguing about the ins and outs of the music industry...
Tony, did you go to HOG at the weekend? Wish I could have been there, but was skint....

ampassasinbirmingham
28-07-2003, 10:58 PM
i will post a longer message later about this but all i can sayis that jerome hill cut, scratched and funked the HOG dancefloor up with the most wonkiest techno ive ever heard. quality.

MARKEG
28-07-2003, 11:38 PM
well there's one satisfied customer :D

MARKEG
29-07-2003, 12:04 AM
hey toni/crime - i just made another topic on what you were both talking about:

marketing vs artistic creativity.

Tony
01-08-2003, 05:15 PM
dave can you stop it, i rue the day i ever joined these forums and bastards like you keep opening up interesting topics. :lol:
that conversation starter is close to my heart in present times.
art for ever!!!! (and hope the determination pays the bills :wink: )

crime: we should hope and prey that it ('apocalyptic rave' etc)has the strength, like a new born deer in the forest, struggling to get to its feet, aaaah, finally established as a seperate entity. lets hope some bastard hunter doesnt shoot it for sport though. i bet all your records end up in a section of any shop, that understands the breadth of techno in the 'wonk' section though, hee hee!
yes i did go to hog but was embroiled in negotiations of spit roasting a young filly whilst jerome was on. i'm sure he was killer.

John Vella
02-08-2003, 09:35 AM
hmmm maybe we can bring him to play here??? we (sleaze) would love to!

mind u we're constantly losing our shirts throwing events in this cunting city-- very dissapointing

:(

chin up i guess!! :wink:

-jOHNNY

278d7e64a374de26f==