PDA

View Full Version : What have you learned from making techno?

AcidTrash
04-09-2005, 08:12 AM
Say anyhting you like. This is an open ended question.

What have you learned from making techno?

Be it about people, computers, the internet or even music?

da hound
04-09-2005, 11:28 AM
its hard work

Jay Pace
04-09-2005, 02:29 PM
You need a lot of time, in long periods.

Not something you can do in half hour snatches.

And it makes you want to buy machines.

acidsaturation
04-09-2005, 05:19 PM
Time management, trying to fit it around a full time job and a degree...

A hell of a lot of stuff about software, hardware, processes... I mean when I think of the shear volume of software that I have learned to use (mostly self taught) it's amazing - and how many different operating systems on my boxes etc... it's a lot to store in my little brain.

And I guess learning stuff like HTML has come from techno too 'cos it's given me a reason to learn that to promote myself - and that's helped me get jobs etc...

And the main thing is learning to be happy about myself so much more...
- That I am privilaged enough to have a talent to produce soemthing that makes others happy - whenever I get depressed I just remember how many people I've never met have come up to me and said "I've heard one of your CDs at my mate's it's wicked" or remember seeing a crowd going wild when I've played etc.

It's a good boost and has been something I've needed to learn...

Have to thank for it all, my ex Jeannine who got me my MC-303 for my birthday (nice having a rich bird for a while) all those years ago and got me into it all... (sorry - just got back from SoItIz party and necking lots of fluffy drugs so all still a bit loved up and happy!!!)

audioinjection
04-09-2005, 11:09 PM
i learned its not easy to make techno, especially thinking of fresh new ideas you haven't used before and applying them in your music :doh:

also managing time, it can be a pain

TechMouse
05-09-2005, 10:36 AM
The best stuff you make comes together quickly and easily.

IMHO if something is taking a long time then you're trying to make something go that doesn't necessarily want to go. In which case there's something that will probably go better.

This is a lesson it has taken me a long time to learn.

I'm sure people will disagree... but I really think the best tunes I've made have been done in an evening or so... at least compositionally.

Mixdown / Mastering is a different story, however!

acidsaturation
05-09-2005, 01:12 PM
I reckon that is soo true sometimes...

Did a tune over the weekend - Had a basic Idea that was a few loops strung together in my "ideas" folder, but all the real work was done in one day and it just flows so well and really starts to sound like stuff I hear out.

Sometimes though it's worth struggling with one thats taking a long time. The culprit is usually one sound that seems to precious to get rid of which is what takes the time!

Komplex
05-09-2005, 02:15 PM
i've learnt how to piss my life away in the studio... and I love it :twisted:

holotropik
06-09-2005, 12:48 PM
I learnt that the ocean is very deep.....

Overall, its the perfect pursuit or way of life. There aint nothing better. Its taught me creative things and analytical things. It enormous the amount of things.

wow.....what a question!!
its made me all emotional and i aint been on fluffy drugs....hehehe.

Its given me a life worth living.

AcidTrash
06-09-2005, 09:36 PM
If anything it's taught me never to put all my eggs in one basket. It's taught me that no matter how hard you try you can't please everyone. It's taught me the value of patience. I've definately shown me the importance of not taking myself too seriously and its definately shown me how lame people can be when in direct competetion.

It's also shown me how sharing can be the most important thing and it's given me a tool to not only bring people together but to get them running for cover too.

holotropik
07-09-2005, 04:10 AM
Acid trash - that is so true about the competition thing and the sharing.

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of bitching and door-slamming that goes on from people who try to protect themselves in the music scene. If they only realised that its purely up to the individual and that the more people there are the better off everyone is - esp. here in tiny Australia.
They dont realise that it is an advantage to have other artists to carry the load when one has to step back to write new stuff etc.

Internal Error Records
07-09-2005, 05:12 AM
that less is more.

and that a $10,000 hardware studio, or that gods personal edition of Fruityloops cant turn everyone into a musician.

AcidTrash
07-09-2005, 06:40 AM
It's definately taught me that coffee is an EVIL EVIL sunstance.

RDR
07-09-2005, 10:21 AM
@Techmouse - Agree completely. You gotta learn when to recognise the flow and ride it.

Personally - Time management, Learning how to listen is also a big skill

Not to take things to seriously, to have fun, to try wierd things

And most importantly, to play LIVE!

That teaches lots about people, music and sound.

Also that im VERY VERY VERY boring now.

FILTERZ
07-09-2005, 01:42 PM
that their is no facking money in it

:lol:

BloodStar
07-09-2005, 02:38 PM
i've learnt how to piss my life away in the studio... and I love it :twisted:
same here :twisted: + i think i learned lot of new things, managing time for production and also being more focused on complete production proces instead of just some parts.. i§m now much more open minded to any kind of music, but sometimes i'm listening to how it's all done instead of just listen and enjoy music..

sash
17-09-2005, 07:34 PM
it's taught me to count to 4

now everytime i hear dance music in general, i can't stop counting 16 bars.....it's annoying as hell!

djshiva
19-09-2005, 02:58 AM
it's taught me logical thinking, mostly from problem solving, but also working to find ways to make the sounds happen that i have in my head.

it's also taught me to let things happen. happy accidents can be the core of a hot track!

umm...i also learned that i can live for a while on coffee and cigarettes when i forget to eat in the process of sequencing...

acidsaturation
19-09-2005, 08:25 AM
umm...i also learned that i can live for a while on coffee and cigarettes when i forget to eat in the process of sequencing...

That has made me very ill this week!

duncandisorderly
20-09-2005, 08:34 PM
i have figured out that 2 paracetamol and a glass of water is a good cure for that particular type of headache behind the eyes that you get after staring at a monitor from 15cm away til 5am for the fifth night in a row... :headache: :headache:

278d7e64a374de26f==