PDA

View Full Version : TECHNO

ampassasinbirmingham
06-07-2003, 04:07 PM
What does techno represent to you?

To me it represents getting frustration out. Sometimes anger. It makes me smile.

Techno also makes me think about music in a much simpler way. A way where there is no bull shit. Just good beats and soundscapes.

tekboi
06-07-2003, 04:27 PM
Nearly the exact same feeling, whenever I am down, techno is the only thing that can put me back up with a big smile!

To me it is simply life :) Fast, furious, no time to slow down :)

davethedrummer
06-07-2003, 08:38 PM
sometimes when i'm playing records at home
i imagine a crowd getting into it ( sad i know )
and that takes me away.
sometimes it's just the quality and ideas of the music
and the UNDERSTANDING that's gone into making these tracks
it's a great feeling when you connect with someone through music
it is utterly abstract but makes total sense all at the same time.

well that's my personal take on it.

DJZeMig_L
07-07-2003, 12:40 AM
Techno = Life ..

Fast, slow, hard, soft, happyness, dark...

In terms of crowd I would say I prefer smiles and euphoria above all things! :)

Z

tekboi
07-07-2003, 12:48 PM
DJ ZeMigL:

I just want to say that I have used that Techno = Life for so long and you are the first person I have seen right it and feel it in that way, quality stuff man!

Rock on the world of techno.

BritishMurderBoy
07-07-2003, 12:50 PM
i would argue that it is instead:

music = life

T
07-07-2003, 01:00 PM
Your heart beat, the Original 4/4 beat.....it keeps you alive and the rhythm is in your very being! yes, music/techno = life

Esox Lucius
07-07-2003, 01:05 PM
i would argue that it is instead:

music = life

that`s the case for me.

systemic
07-07-2003, 06:36 PM
for me techno is the fusion of art and science, to create music that invokes some kind of reaction, you know some kind of feeling, good or bad. i think the techno scene is a modern day representation of tribalism, almost religious in many ways, if you know what i mean.

miasma man
07-07-2003, 07:37 PM
Check out the thread by THORIN on 14 April 2003 - my opinions of what techno is or should be is on that one. Also check out the "Juan Atkins/UR/Jeff Mills... Who's next?" thread.

Techno = life hmm maybe.

I think that techno is a form of music which in turn is a form of art. Art comes from within - not from overuse of samples? (Sorry, I had to slip that one in there).

Therefore Techno could be called an Urban Art Form?

Techno (like a lot of other music) does also help me get rid of my frustration...

BritishMurderBoy
08-07-2003, 02:52 AM
real music is art:

therefore albums/singles which are timeless are real pieces of art: for me real pieces of art include:

jeff mills live an the liquid rooms:
decks EFX and 909 by richie hawtin:
the detroit music experiment:

Sunil
08-07-2003, 03:00 AM
real music is art:

Really? That's the recent one by Carl Craig and crew, right? That's something I wasn't too into actually although only heard it quickly. The new Planet E by him with the track he's done with Garnier deserves everyones attention, I normally can't stand Planet E or a lot of Detroit (And its attitudes) in general, this is a good record though..

BritishMurderBoy
08-07-2003, 11:52 AM
well i like jazz anyway and that is some of the best modern jazz fusion i have heard:

the second track called "think twice" oooooh makes me tingle its so good:

Patrick
08-07-2003, 12:15 PM
real music is art:

Really? That's the recent one by Carl Craig and crew, right? That's something I wasn't too into actually although only heard it quickly.

Yeah, Sunil, I felt the same after my first listen. It seemed a bit of an anti-climax. But now after a couple of listens I love it. It's a real grower, give it another try.

Col
08-07-2003, 12:53 PM
for me techno represents innovation, music with no restrictions, music that makes you move.

most importantly techno is music that brings people together no matter what race, religion or culture.

and in agreement with the previous posts techno is the most artistic form of music on the planet, absolutley no doubts about that in my opinion.

miasma man
08-07-2003, 01:55 PM
techno is the most artistic form of music on the planet

Oh really, please explain why Techno is the most artistic form of music on the planet?

ampassasinbirmingham
08-07-2003, 03:44 PM
I THINK EXPERIMENTAL MUSIC IS MORE LIKE A PIECE OF ART

mecca
09-07-2003, 07:56 PM
techno (music as a whole ( well the quality =P ) represents a personal form of tranquility and infinite movement (sense of relief).

And I do agree, experimental music is most definitely considered as another appreciated, artistic sound. Actually, I personally find it much more innovating :?

The Divide
09-07-2003, 09:56 PM
I think techno can have many differant meanings and that depend on both the the style and the listener. To me I think its combination or reflection of modern/urban culture and time merged into a more primitive ritualistic thing. I always seem to think about 100,000,000's or years ago where cave people beat on drums only to be merged into something thats fresh, the sound of technology. Many times have people said to me "that kind of music has no soul or expression" and I have never been able to hear it that way, i think its full of expression. Its the non techno people that dont allow themselves to hear the feeling in a more primitive sounding track. It definatly brings people together, and i think thats the magic behind music.

DJZeMig_L
09-07-2003, 10:57 PM
definatly the mixing of ancient/ tribalistic with futuristic elements bares a lot on the appeal...

On the subject of music electronic vs soul...
"...we have a soul even though it is mathematical..." .... by Kraftwerk

Z

The Divide
09-07-2003, 11:00 PM
:D :D :D.

davethedrummer
09-07-2003, 11:35 PM
sometimes i love it
sometimes i hate it
but it's my music of choice and i stick with it
:P :P

Col
15-07-2003, 10:20 AM
techno is the most artistic form of music on the planet

Oh really, please explain why Techno is the most artistic form of music on the planet?

i say techno is the most artistic form of music on the planet, because for me techno represents innovation, which in return represents the form of art as a whole. techno is about pushing the envelope, and delving into places where no other music dares to go, electronic music has no boundries and for me techno holds a bigger representation of electronic music far more than any other form of electronic music, if you no what i mean!

if there are no limits, and it holds no boundries...THEN IT MUST BE TECHNO!!!!!

crime
15-07-2003, 10:32 AM
i say techno is the most artistic form of music on the planet, because for me techno represents innovation, which in return represents the form of art as a whole. techno is about pushing the envelope, and delving into places where no other music dares to go

so long as it's going to that place with a booming 909 4/4 kick and a bongo loop??

The Divide
15-07-2003, 11:17 AM
i say techno is the most artistic form of music on the planet, because for me techno represents innovation, which in return represents the form of art as a whole. techno is about pushing the envelope, and delving into places where no other music dares to go, electronic music has no boundries and for me techno holds a bigger representation of electronic music far more than any other form of electronic music, if you no what i mean!

if there are no limits, and it holds no boundries...THEN IT MUST BE TECHNO!!!!!

Hmmm I agree in a way, I disagree in others. I think thats down to it been underground, the undergrounds where all the new and origional ideas come from and sometimes I too hear things and think "fuk thats differant". As for it having no limits, I think the problem with a lot of artists these days are the beleifs that you need certain sounds and rules in tracks. I am getting a tad bored of hearing ride cymbals and un-affected bongo loops where you expect them to be and arangements that are realy predictable. I am no one to talk coz i have done it myself and still do (I see it as part of our own learning curve). There is no limits, no specific rules. More artists need to see it this way and dare to do new things. I dont think you need a non 4/4 track to do something that works, thats constructed and that sounds new or unique...

Col
15-07-2003, 11:26 AM
i say techno is the most artistic form of music on the planet, because for me techno represents innovation, which in return represents the form of art as a whole. techno is about pushing the envelope, and delving into places where no other music dares to go

so long as it's going to that place with a booming 909 4/4 kick and a bongo loop??

no not at all, and if you think that techno is just about that then your very wrong, your perception of techno seems to differ from that of reality, techno is a very versatile sound, of course there are different styles of techno and sometimes techno does rely on a similar ideas within a track, which yes it is dissapointing, but overall techno is about finding the sound you have never heard before, and keeping things fresh & exiciting. peace!

crime
15-07-2003, 12:28 PM
Erm.. yes... sorry I was being sarcastic... as I posted before in the Juan atkins who's next thread:

The problem is the boundaries people put around themselves between what the like and what they don't like... People can come up with abstract ideas that really work, but it's only when people are open and willing to accept something different, that things will move forward...
which leads me to the point of everything really different that can be done with techno has been done, and anything that's so out there and different the majority of people who are into techno won't accept that it's techno, so we have a conundrum... personally I don't care what the music's called so long as it's good..... and New and different

crime
15-07-2003, 12:29 PM
but overall techno is about finding the sound you have never heard before, and keeping things fresh & exiciting. peace!

Just out of interest, what exactly is this sound you've never heard before? What artists?

crime
15-07-2003, 12:39 PM
which leads me to the point of everything really different that can be done with techno has been done,
I will say my mind is open to be pleasantly suprised, all submissions are welcome...

Jimfish
15-07-2003, 01:23 PM
yep i gotta agree with what crime seems to be saying..
specifically though, i dont know what it is; it is everything. youve basically got stuff that goes boom-tiss and stuff that doesnt. Im perfectly happy keeping it that simple and within those guidelines its all techno to me.

whereas im not perfectly happy sitting here in a studio with no fans up to my balls in sweat.. :oops:

Col
15-07-2003, 01:52 PM
but overall techno is about finding the sound you have never heard before, and keeping things fresh & exiciting. peace!

Just out of interest, what exactly is this sound you've never heard before? What artists?

i find the majority of techno records, and artists are trying to create sounds that are not recognisible, sounds that havent been used before, im repeating myself again here, but techno is about innovation, and almost every techno artist is trying for a new sound, is there any point in me listing every techno artist?

crime
15-07-2003, 04:37 PM
Sorry, I don't hear anything new in the majority of techno these days.. Not that there's anything wrong with that, if you like banging trax with the 4/4 Kik, hat on the offbeat, clap on the second, bass voom in the off beat, fair enough, I just wouldn't say it's anything I've not heard before, and a lot of it is sounds I've heard before... Like I say, if it's doing it on the dancefloor, fair enough, but I don't hear that much innovation any more (Just an opinion mind)
I like a lot of the more abstract stuff, because the trax actually sound different to each other, I mean I've got nothing against people liking what they like, but I just don't see the attraction (Personally) in hearing one tune mixed into the next that sounds exactly the same as the last one...

Jimfish
15-07-2003, 06:47 PM
i dont think techno is all about innovation at all - i dont see how it can be as its all so simaler. I think in reality only a very small part of it is about innovation. I cant like somthing just because it is innovative. I like things because purely they please my ears. i can obviously apreciate innovation though, but it seems a lot of the innovative stuff (though not all of course) just isnt actually any good; it might be different, might even be really well produced, but it just aint any good (imo)- and thats the problem, we are not running out of ideas - i have got plenty of ideas. Its the good ideas i havent got, we are just running out.
but i just say **** it. jeez, there is more to life than techno (sorry!)
Why not just forget about it and then hopefully the good ideas will come.
bit of a sidetrack here..when i was a kid i used to do loads of juggling, and i whenever i concentrated on catching the clubs i dropped em, but when i just let go and got on with it everything was fine and i ripped it up!
maybe we have to the same thing, just not worry about it so much eh?

crime
15-07-2003, 07:37 PM
jeez, there is more to life than techno (sorry!)

Word! Sorry, I just can't help being a little bit cynical when people start saying things like "techno is sounds you've never heard before", it's an over used and often misunderstood Mills quote... Maybe it was relevent when he originally said it, but repeating it over and over again just seems a bit nonsensical.. I don't want to come across like some kind of smartarse, I just feel mindlessly repeating some jeff mills quote is a bit misguided (No offense intended Col)

Adverse
15-07-2003, 08:12 PM
jim the juggler ****ING CLASS hahaha.

DJZeMig_L
16-07-2003, 01:22 AM
I stand somewhere in between Crime's view and Jim's ...

Mark I "drink" yer words.. and I have 2 say u raise very important issues.. in fact there is lots of the same out there.. again I would now go to jim and say .."I'll just get what moves me .. even if it isn't inovative..." How many producers do we know that doin't really have a sound of they're and just copy other's ideias but still manage 2 do a great job at it!?

it is very sad that people now have a harder time accepting new sounds.. I won't even go 4 the dificulty of accepting new "ways/ formats"...

BTW ..
"...when i was a kid i used to do loads of juggling, and i whenever i concentrated on catching the clubs i dropped em, but when i just let go and got on with it everything was fine and i ripped it up!
maybe we have to the same thing, just not worry about it so much eh?..."
That is a brillian view and very well put...

should I say.. the virtue stands in the middle...

Z

Sunil
16-07-2003, 02:26 AM
jeez, there is more to life than techno (sorry!)
I just feel mindlessly repeating some jeff mills quote is a bit misguided (No offense intended Col)

It's an idealistic quote but it is just Mills giving his vision of what techno is and should be, nothing wrong with repeating it from time to time, however there's too much techno that doesn't live up to his proclaimation so i guess it isn't always a fair statement. anyway blah blah

Sunil
16-07-2003, 02:33 AM
How many producers do we know that doin't really have a sound of they're and just copy other's ideias but still manage 2 do a great job at it!?

Z

****in' loads of producers, as long as there's enough music out there that we all enjoy and want to play then it's cool. If your ears like it then you can't really argue with it

DJZeMig_L
16-07-2003, 03:11 AM
Okie fair enougth , maybe I didn't explained well ..

I ment exactly what u said.. sure there r people doing the same thing over n over.. but if they still rock then :)

Z

Sunil
16-07-2003, 03:12 AM
Okie fair enougth , maybe I didn't explained well ..

I ment exactly what u said.. sure there r people doing the same thing over n over.. but if they still rock then :)

Z

I know, I was agreeing with you!

crime
16-07-2003, 09:49 AM
At the end of the day, I have no problem with people enjoying music, that's cool, have a few beers, jump around in front of a system and have a laugh with your mates, y'know, that's cool.. I suppose I just can't get with the Pseudo-intellectualisin' KnowhatImean?

DJZeMig_L
16-07-2003, 11:32 AM
eheheh "...Pseudo-intellectualisin' ..." U have absolutly no ideia how much that pisses me off ... especialy 'cause i get it all the time from the house fannatics over here... :(

I think time heals all wounds... things will eventually move, evolve, mutate.. we just have 2 keep spirit, face & have lots a fun mean while...

Z

Col
16-07-2003, 11:38 AM
i honestly belive that the majority of techno producers are trying to create a new sound and trying new ideas within their music.

i think that some of you guys are refering to the more aggressive side of techno, which does sadly SOMETIMES does use similar sounds that had previously been used in another track, although i am fan of the aggressive sound, and i still belive innovation is a key part of the production of aggressive techno.

Jimfish
16-07-2003, 01:13 PM
yes, crime & ZM, ezactly; lets just hava laugh, enjoy it and let it evolve

Sunil
16-07-2003, 02:10 PM
At the end of the day, I have no problem with people enjoying music, that's cool, have a few beers, jump around in front of a system and have a laugh with your mates, y'know, that's cool.. I suppose I just can't get with the Pseudo-intellectualisin' KnowhatImean?

Well in fairness Jeff Mills is the king of bringing pseudo intellectualism into techno so blame him!

tekboi
20-07-2003, 03:30 AM
Hi,

I need somewhere I can samples of each track of the Compound release featuring Spencer Elliot - First Visit, as I need to make up my mind if I should buy it online or not, hope someone can help.

MARKEG
20-07-2003, 12:43 PM
just bloody buy it and be done with it!! hahahaha

Adverse
20-07-2003, 04:23 PM
yeh mate. buy it.

tekboi
21-07-2003, 02:07 AM
Done. I just got my hands on it :)

Didn't really get into the single side, but didn't mind the two track side.

Any of you guys heard the latest releases on traction?

Kobbe - USA Aggression (Traction)
Strategy - Aria (Traction)

Very tough stuff indeed I thought.

miasma man
25-07-2003, 08:30 PM
Backtracking a bit here but yeh I agree it is about having fun, if you can't do that what's the point......... :)

davethedrummer
26-07-2003, 11:07 PM
techno is all about arguing with your mates about what techno is and what it isn't and whose more techno than who etc?
i mean for example:
motorhead more rock than acdc? (nah!)
spandau ballet more pop than duran duran? (nope)
d.a.v.e the drummer more techno than jeff mills?? (there you go! instant argument)

i mean what else is there?
what other kind of music would you be into if techno just didn't exist?

not much of a choice is there?
(george michael . elton john . barbara steisand , garth brooks . god what a scary list!!!!)

hehe

Sunil
26-07-2003, 11:31 PM
i mean what else is there?
what other kind of music would you be into if techno just didn't exist?

This is kind of why I wonder why people think dance music is near its end, there's no other alternative, it's not like everyone is converting to pop and rock, or are they? Is there anyone here that think's the next upsurge in music will come when a new drug comes along? The way E did?

massplanck
29-07-2003, 12:22 PM
One thing lads... hands up people who didnt really like dance music untill they took their first sweeitie?

what does that say about us all?

ChEERS
/Steve

Bughead
29-07-2003, 12:24 PM
It was a progression for me, from ozric tentacles, PWEI and other type of fusion music to repetitive beats......

The "other" things didnt happen til later... ( but not much later)

Dez

Addict
29-07-2003, 01:31 PM
From someone who's main music is trance I like techno because there's no emotion in it (for me that is) and I mean that in the sense that it doesn't use uplifting riffs or breakdowns to stir emotions, its just pure dance music, I always imagine a crowd of people, heads down, dancing, lost in the tune when I listen to techno. Wish I had more of it.

Addict
29-07-2003, 01:32 PM
I also find you "techno lot" really interesting to listen to when your talking about techno, not sure why. :?

Bughead
29-07-2003, 01:39 PM
Its because we are so passionate about it....

Addict
29-07-2003, 01:41 PM
Its because we are so passionate about it....

No doubt about it i've said this before. I'm passionate about trance but you are lot are passionate in a different way, I can't quite put my finger on it.

Bughead
29-07-2003, 01:45 PM
I think its as you mentioned earlier, techno has no emotion in it ( only the people creating it ) so all the passion is gone into liking it, loving it... if you have emotive music you tend not to rerally that passionate about it ( all the pap stuff...) so...

Addict
29-07-2003, 01:49 PM
... I see

Bughead
29-07-2003, 01:59 PM
If you create "emotive " music ( with machines how this is done I dunno but its done) some of the emotion is gone into the track and some left over for you. Techno removes that so you are left with all the emotion.

Peace

Dr Sigmund Freud

Addict
29-07-2003, 02:02 PM
Are you saying it takes effort to like techno?

Bughead
29-07-2003, 02:05 PM
I wouldnt say it takes effort but you develop your taste, I suppose it takes effort to continue cause once you start its really hard to stop...

Addict
29-07-2003, 02:26 PM
I'm slightly unlucky when it comes to techno then, I happen to be the only person out of all my mates that likes it. I get that look sometimes as if to say urgh like they've just tasted Marmite and don't like it.

Bughead
29-07-2003, 02:27 PM
Just keep doing it I suppose....

Col
29-07-2003, 02:40 PM
One thing lads... hands up people who didnt really like dance music untill they took their first sweeitie?

ChEERS
/Steve

speak for yourself :shock:

got into dance music when i was 11/12 years old started experimenting with drugs soon after, although anything in the class a department came later, when i began to go out to parties.

you dont have to take drugs to enjoy dance music, and its a compliment to the music, if you go to a party without em, in fact a few months ago, i went to a techno night and had 1 drink at the start of the night, didnt touch another drink all night long(no drugs either) and didnt stop me dancing & enjoying myself. :D

do i deserve a blue peter badge or what. :P

im sure there are quite a few people on this forum who dont use drugs at every party they attend.

c'mon guys back me up on this one....guys!....guys!.....bastards!

Sunil
29-07-2003, 02:41 PM
I'm slightly unlucky when it comes to techno then, I happen to be the only person out of all my mates that likes it. I get that look sometimes as if to say urgh like they've just tasted Marmite and don't like it.

This is exctly how I felt when I started buying records, none of my friends were into it, unless of course Billy Nasty was in town or something. What are they listening to anyway? Get yourself some new friends, kick 'em to the kerb!!

Sunil
29-07-2003, 02:47 PM
im sure there are quite a few people on this forum who dont use drugs at every party they attend.

I did all my drugs stuff in my teens then quit completely for one reason or another. From time to time i bump into someone who thinks it's really strange that I'm not doing loads of drugs when i'm out. Sometimes though I say "Why is that hard to understand? I don't do 'em, end of story, is it me with the mental deficiency or you??" Well forget the "Mental deficiency" part, that was made up but really, i hate this pre-conception that the two must go hand in hand, they don't!

T
29-07-2003, 02:53 PM

ChEERS
/Steve

speak for yourself :shock:

got into dance music when i was 11/12 years old started experimenting with drugs soon after, although anything in the class a department came later, when i began to go out to parties.

you dont have to take drugs to enjoy dance music, and its a compliment to the music, if you go to a party without em, in fact a few months ago, i went to a techno night and had 1 drink at the start of the night, didnt touch another drink all night long(no drugs either) and didnt stop me dancing & enjoying myself. :D

do i deserve a blue peter badge or what. :P

I reckon i deserve a blue peter badge as well, i'm quite a good boy when I go out these days, even get offered things and say no, how's that for sensible!!
Whatever rocks your boat but i think you just gotta enjoy the music ahead of anything else cos that's what it's about for me......never say never though.

Addict
29-07-2003, 02:56 PM

This is exctly how I felt when I started buying records, none of my friends were into it, unless of course Billy Nasty was in town or something. What are they listening to anyway? Get yourself some new friends, kick 'em to the kerb!!

They're not all that bad, I've got a few mates who also mix hard trance, but I like to keep techno to myself as far as they're concerned, its bad enough having them buying the same hard trance tunes as you. Techno is what makes me different from them, love it.

Bughead
29-07-2003, 02:58 PM
Sounds like you wanna break free ( Queen moment)
Go for it...

Addict
29-07-2003, 03:00 PM
Seriously I don't mind, if I like it so what?

Bughead
29-07-2003, 03:12 PM
nothing whatsoever...

Main thing is as long as you are having a good time and not hurting anyone #
whoo hoo..

Col
29-07-2003, 03:20 PM

im in the same boat too, all my mates are into trance, hard trance, hard house, indie & rock, very few of my friends seem to have little respect for techno, the fact some of them dont respect techno really annoys me, but at the end of the day techno is underground, and underground dosent appeal to the majority, but its best kept that way in my opinion.

keep it underground! :twisted:

DJPAUZE
29-07-2003, 03:32 PM
for me techno represents innovation, music with no restrictions, music that makes you move.

most importantly techno is music that brings people together no matter what race, religion or culture.

and in agreement with the previous posts techno is the most artistic form of music on the planet, absolutley no doubts about that in my opinion.

I really enjoy stealing your quotes Mr Ecstatic!! You are full of great ideas!

Cheers
Pauze :twisted:

Col
29-07-2003, 03:37 PM
im glad you agree with me man, because no one else seemed to back my comments up! respect DJPAUZE!!

Sunil
29-07-2003, 03:55 PM
im glad you agree with me man, because no one else seemed to back my comments up! respect DJPAUZE!!

I kinda backed you up I think! Where's my big up? :)

Bughead
29-07-2003, 04:20 PM
Surely this can only enhance influences you can draw on? The more people around you into different things the better?
Ok if they get on your case and are a bit musically uppidty about theire particular tastes but just turn up the bassbins and let the techno do the talking.

Peace

Dez :lol:

im in the same boat too, all my mates are into trance, hard trance, hard house, indie & rock, very few of my friends seem to have little respect for techno, the fact some of them dont respect techno really annoys me, but at the end of the day techno is underground, and underground dosent appeal to the majority, but its best kept that way in my opinion.

Col
29-07-2003, 07:17 PM

sorry man i didnt realise...respect sunil!...come ere give us a cuddle! :D

Sunil
29-07-2003, 08:55 PM

sorry man i didnt realise...respect sunil!...come ere give us a cuddle! :D

ha ha . that's better!

Col
29-07-2003, 11:27 PM
:D

mr pumpkin head as done a runner!

spiralx
30-07-2003, 04:53 PM

I'm lucky then... after years and years of being in this situation I now know one other person who's as big a techno nut as I am, and know plenty of people who are up for a good hard techno night. Including my girlfriend thank god :)

Col
30-07-2003, 09:34 PM
you are lucky man, my girlfriend despises techno, although i have managed to drag her out to the last couple of techno nights ive been to.

i cant belive she still dosent like it!

theres nowt like a good techno party!

spiralx
01-08-2003, 04:28 PM
Yup :) Nothing like seeing a load of people having the modern version of a big old hoedown :D

Col
01-08-2003, 07:53 PM
Yup :) Nothing like seeing a load of people having the modern version of a big old hoedown :D

ha ha hoedown, fukin lovin it mate! :lol:

278d7e64a374de26f==