PDA

View Full Version : Interesting phenomenon??

holotropik
09-09-2005, 01:19 AM
Have any of you catz found that sometimes when producing you come up with sounds or riffs that are spookily close to someone elses work without deliberately trying to emulate their work.

On a number of occaisions I have worked on something and then been freaked out when I hear something by someone else halfway across the world that sounds similar. Both my track and their track have been written at similar times so there would be noway of copying each other consciously.

Other times I will be working on something and after listening to it all day I take a break and go put on some tunes and then BAM!! I'll notice that there is a sound in a track that sounds like a sound I came up with in my track BUT without consciously trying to copy it.

Does that make sense?

Evil G
09-09-2005, 01:22 AM
has happened to me a few times. makes me feel silly when i realize i've accidentally stolen something from an old favorite, but good when i hear a similar riff in a track i've never heard before.

RDR
09-09-2005, 06:59 AM
Its called prior art, and there's an argument that if it happens to you, your not being original enough... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

(that isnt a personal comment chief, just an observation)

It does happen to me from time to time.

Komplex
09-09-2005, 08:06 AM
it could also be a side effect of the production techniques, or the same patch played in a way that sonds good... except someone else has done it already...

hundreds of artists have programed identical 909 patterns :lol:

acidsaturation
09-09-2005, 12:42 PM
It's like the argument that there are only a limited number of guitar riffs...

audioinjection
10-09-2005, 12:52 AM
hundreds of artists have programed identical 909 patterns :lol:

hahaha very true, and that goes with lots of other drum machines as well

but do drums count?

BRADLEE
10-09-2005, 01:18 AM
Not for the most part....it really depends on how distint that pattern is.

Mindful
10-09-2005, 05:44 AM
Fu*k yeah to the piont where I have canged or got rid of it cause I dont want people beliving that I didnt right it myself and that I just sampled it.

RDR
10-09-2005, 07:52 AM
Fu*k yeah to the piont where I have canged or got rid of it cause I dont want people beliving that I didnt right it myself and that I just sampled it.

:lol: Yeah man, you write the shit, then sit there thinking - no-ones gonna believe this. I wrote a tune with a twisted vocal in it and didnt notice it sounded exactly like a prodigy sample, when my mates listened to it they were like "You nicked that - im going no no i didnt", no-one ****ing believed me!

Mindful
11-09-2005, 03:33 PM

:lol: Yeah man, you write the shit, then sit there thinking - no-ones gonna believe this. I wrote a tune with a twisted vocal in it and didnt notice it sounded exactly like a prodigy sample, when my mates listened to it they were like "You nicked that - im going no no i didnt", no-one **** believed me!

Did you take it out tho?

RDR
11-09-2005, 06:16 PM

:lol: Yeah man, you write the shit, then sit there thinking - no-ones gonna believe this. I wrote a tune with a twisted vocal in it and didnt notice it sounded exactly like a prodigy sample, when my mates listened to it they were like "You nicked that - im going no no i didnt", no-one **** believed me!

Did you take it out tho?

I did NOT. that was my work good n proper - just cos a load of DJs take the piss is neither here nor there for me. if it works then ill use it - i have very little qualms about music.

Mindful
11-09-2005, 06:47 PM
Good on yer man.

278d7e64a374de26f==