PDA

View Full Version : STILL blue screens!!!

MARKEG
07-07-2003, 02:28 PM
i just can't believe this now. i'm still getting the bsod all the time. i've put it down to my video card (the G450 Millenium), but i've updated all the drivers, even been back through old ones, and nothing is conflicting on the irq. absolute rubbish.

either bad pool callers or page faults - at least once per studio session.

i changed the registry last week so it'd report to me the exact driver every time and it keep on saying g400dhd.dll - the video card driver.

now i really have come to the end of the line with this.

i need recommendations for dual screen cards. is anyone else using two screens with no probs? if so - what card have you got? has anyone heard of any real good dual screen cards i should be looking at?

timo
07-07-2003, 04:15 PM
Yep, I have two 17"s on an NVIDIA GeForce4. Have you ever tried checking your memory? Usually, that's the cause of most blue screens. Which operating system are you using? If it's 2000 or XP, there's usually no reason for blue screens except for these three: bad drivers, bad memory, overheat.

cheers,
Timo

miromiric.
07-07-2003, 04:59 PM
after mark solved me irq problems i get page errors bsod all the way too.

Barely Human
07-07-2003, 05:05 PM
Im running dual screen, and have no probs with it! Im not using one card though, im using two. One is a voodoo 4, and the other is a complete pile of wank! But it has never caused me any probs.

miromiric.
07-07-2003, 10:25 PM
mark which motherboard do u use?

MARKEG
07-07-2003, 11:42 PM
i don't believe this.

after reading timo's post i thought - hmmm.. bad drivers, bad memory, overheat.

now. don't get me wrong - i've messed with these damn video card drivers for the best part of two months. i ran a utility to test the memory about 4 weeks ago. and sure enough i ran some cheap sis utitly to test cpu temperature. no results.

so after reading timo's words i thought... let's do a test. let's take that newest memory stick out that i put in about 2 months ago (cause the stupid ass holes at millenium didn't replace my 256 MB stick when it was in for 'fixing') and let's see what happens.

result: no crash so far.

now i've actually been able to run cubase without a hitch and write a track in a day! the last time i was able to do that was 6 months ago!!!

i can't believe that after running the mem test - which found nothing - this seems to be the problem.

i'll keep you updated

miro - swap your memory around/keep certain sticks out and in.

let me know what happens.

timo
08-07-2003, 12:36 AM
which memory test did you use?

there are only two memory testers I trust, since they never have been wrong:

http://freshmeat.net/projects/memmxtest/?topic_id=146
http://freshmeat.net/projects/memtest86/?topic_id=861%2C146

The first one, memmxtest, is a bit tricky and has a very complex CLI, but reading the README should answer most questions.

The second one, memtest86, turns off caching in some versions so you'd better turn it on again before you test, because sometimes caching plays tricks on your results.

If both memory testers run perfectly, that doesn't necessarly mean that your memory is 100%ly error-free, but at least it shows that your memory is 99.99995% error free - which probably won't show you one blue screen at all (remember: most "natural" memory errors occur in dependencies - simple example: if memory cell 1 is on, memory cell 2 contains a false information.). If you have ECC chips, you even have less errors, but usually there are only 2 states of memory chips: the ones which work and the others which don't. sometimes memory chips also are incompatible with each other, they might work on their own, but won't work together. in other cases, the clocking makes some memory chips unuseable.

huh, more text than I indented to wrote, but maybe it's a good candidate to refer to if somebody has a similar problem :)

MARKEG
08-07-2003, 12:50 AM
it was mem86 i used.

>The second one, memtest86, turns off caching in some versions so you'd better turn it on again before you test, because sometimes caching plays tricks on your results.

well i didn't know this. perhaps this was the problem!!!

ps it's still not blue screened!

acidhead
08-07-2003, 01:19 AM
do we get to hear a free view of this track ;)

MARKEG
08-07-2003, 03:00 PM
yeah i need to start posting some stuff up really don't i?

hmm...

k.... we will try to get some stuff mastered this week and see what you all reckon.

278d7e64a374de26f==