PDA

View Full Version : renato cohen /brasilian techno scene / hype or reality

davethedrummer
07-07-2003, 09:11 PM
just got a new renato cohen track on that weird label called
sino??? is it something like that
anyway blue cover chinese drawing on it.
so ....
pontape/intec brilliance or monotony

any other comments on some of the brasilian techno that's appeared recently?

Sunil
07-07-2003, 09:18 PM
so ....

Haven't heard enough Brazilian techno to make a proper judgement. I think Cohen's production is at a very high standard, it's more on the funky side but he has a good groove going. "Pontape" I didn't really like but I could see its big tune potential when I heard I heard it first; it's not brilliant , it's probably just Carl Cox's favourite tune that Cohen has produced, and in fairness to Cox Intec is rarely a purveyor of brilliant techno anyway.

Incidently some friends of mine who are just back from Awakenings say that Cohen was a major highlight

ANDROID
07-07-2003, 09:28 PM
Pontape is very strong track but,i heard some other stuff by Renato and it was weak house.
How is his new track on that label Davy? is it any good?i can't wait to hear it.

davethedrummer
07-07-2003, 09:32 PM
it excellent actually andre
perhaps a little slow but wicked
i'm also really into the technasia remix he did but it may be a little to housey for some tastes

eyes without a face
07-07-2003, 09:45 PM
i have that record Henry, there is a track on it with a big swelling bassline, its wikid!

dont rate Pontape at all tho, its terrible

ANDROID
07-07-2003, 10:01 PM
The thing that i like about Brazil is: you can ask any hot,hot,hot mint looking girl what is the difference, hard techno and acid techno? she will tell you the difference!!!
so Dj's in brazil doing pretty good job!!!!!!!!!!

lunatrick
07-07-2003, 11:06 PM
I've got that tune on sino by renato, I reckon it's pretty good.
Whilst we're on the subject I reckon technasia's approach to their label i.e artwork is cool, quite different.. probably quite collectable if your into that kind of thing as well (err which I'm not really!)

Methodixxx
08-07-2003, 03:22 AM
Yeah, both sides of that sino are good.. same with the remix of hydra or whatever it was... and his remix on clr... and a brazillian record of his that just came out a few weeks ago is tasty too.. I really like his stuff, it can get a bit samey, and as you said mark can be a bit housey, but its really well produced and the floor goes nuts to it...

Methodixxx
08-07-2003, 03:24 AM
wow.. mark didn't even post in this thread so it wasn't him that said it was housey... uh oh.. It's lunchtime and I'm hallucinating again!! :shock:

Hahahah, sorry.. I was agreeing with you, henry... :oops:

Methodixxx
08-07-2003, 03:27 AM
Oh yeah.. it is Sino and thats Technasia's label... just for some useless trivia which everyone prolly already knows or doesn't give a shit aboot.. :roll:

:lol:

djlukas
08-07-2003, 06:16 AM
Hello henry, andrei and all...

i dont really like any cohen stuff anymore... i use to but now he is going to a direction that i dont like very much...

he has released some records in very byg labels so his name is getting very big amd he is spining all over... his name is in many major international festivals... its good to see a brazilian on that position but its said that many talent djs here dont have the same chance!!!

we have impressive djs here and guys like you(that have been to brazil) can suport me on that...

we have to tank you guys in a certain way... every time that a good professional(artist) come to brazil, we get to learn a lot from him and its very helpfull to ouer local scene!!!

i hope that we still receiving many international names here but i also hope to see more brazilian djs outside brazil!!!

Lukas

so ....

davethedrummer
08-07-2003, 11:32 AM
hello lukas
nice to see you on the net
well i can understand why the renato story has got some of the djs in brasil a bit rattled.
i know renato quite well and he's a lovely guy but i do remeber that he was totally going to give up at one point .
in fact ana and david (pet duo) asked me to talk to him at megavonts a couple of years ago to convince him to keep going
in fact anderson played pontape that day from a dub plate and i was all over renato to release it on hydraulix
i think he did the right thing though releasing it on intec.
he was a fantastic dj a few years ago but started playing house for a long time until pontape blew up when he immediately reverted to playing hard techno again.
i think he deserves the attention he's getting although it's a shame it didn't happen sooner maybe if it had all the brasilian djs would find it easier to get behind him.
i think alex's sp groove label is sounding good, it's selling quite well here in the banging tunes shop.
see you in november lukas!!!!!

ANDROID
08-07-2003, 07:20 PM
Hey Davy!!!!!!!!!!
IT's a very interesting story, :shock: i'm just about to give up techno, maybe you will talk to me too? :roll:

Patrick DSP
09-07-2003, 02:41 AM
Nothing personal against renato, I just perfer my musical stylings a bit harder and more mechanical.

Patrick

DjRAraujo
09-07-2003, 07:14 AM
Hello you all...I cant believe i see so many mates around...cheers :lol:

Nice forum here wahhh :o :o

What I think about Brasil's techno is:
Renato Cohen is doing some very well produced stuffs...he owns a very sound's personality.....very impressive and its getting his music outside Brazil...wich is good for us....will probable make people look a bit more for the artists downhere. The interesting thing about Renato is that once he told me that what he usually try to do is to make some music that will sound as brasilian personality, but without the samba and bla bla shit...thats why maybe the tracks sounds a bit similar...people will hear it and remember at the same time....thats sounds like brasil !!!! caralho !!! :lol:

But anyway, the producers are learning on how to make good music ...getting into the softwares, hardwares...I think its a natural thing after working so much with this kind of equipment, the music will get better and better .... if there is a feeling for it of course !

BIG RESPECT

Rafael Araujo

herman
09-07-2003, 06:47 PM
cool to read that things are good in brazil im heading down there for some gigs for the first time next month looking forward to it now.

davethedrummer
10-07-2003, 08:18 AM
oh you definately have much to look forward to!

davethedrummer
10-07-2003, 08:20 AM
oh by the way here's a link
ana and david are my best buddites ib brasil and damn good techno djs

www.petduo.com

ampassasinbirmingham
10-07-2003, 09:20 AM
sino is technasia's label i think, based in hong kong. Pontape was good at first, but now everyone and anyone rinses it it is a weak track. U get slated for playing it rather than praised!

Another day at work for me:(:(Im used to doing a 10hour week and making music, being a student, now i work for the nhs doing data input and its 8:30am and im in a horrible area and people keep coming into the health centre asking for condoms :shock:

I think i just need to think about the money to buy equipment.

ROD
14-07-2003, 01:47 AM

www.petduo.com

OW YEAH......THE PETS R REALLY COOL...
BUT ABOUT RENATO'S PRODUCTION I GOT ANOTHER ONE CALLED ABELHAS AND MACUMBA BASSLINE FROM NOISEMUSIC,BRAZILIAN LABEL.
THE BOTH TRACKS R PRETTY GOOD BUT TOO LIGHT FOR ME.
I HEARD SOME BRAZILIAN PRODUCTION FROM BR909,ARAUJO AND DSP......OWWWWWW.....I DONT REMEMBER THE NAME OF THE TRACK BUT ITS REALLY REALLY GOOD...
WE R WAITING FOR ALL THE GREAT DJS WE HAD HERE LIKE DAVE,ANDROID,CHRIS,ANT,DSP,PAUZE AND MORE.
Cheers RODOLFO

DjRAraujo
18-07-2003, 10:22 PM
hey man
cool.....
glad you like the stuffs...
all the best
rafael

DJPAUZE
20-07-2003, 07:52 PM
i have that record Henry, there is a track on it with a big swelling bassline, its wikid!

dont rate Pontape at all tho, its terrible

Well said man! First time i have heard someone say this. That track only went through the roof because its on Carl Cox label. Listen to the production quality etc, I dont think the hype should have been all that big up!

Pauze :twisted:

davethedrummer
20-07-2003, 08:05 PM
rubbish!
pontape IS a great track. it was burning dancefloors in brasil long before carl cox came along and signed it.
i don't see intec propelling any other artists to the same heights.
no, sorry ,it was just what was needed at the time. o.k. it's old now but the production is great and it's just very unique sounding which is why people loved it. a very simple but effective peice of techno.
renato however has acheived world status from that one track and left other possibly more talented djs behind which has put some noses out of joint. but at the end of the day he's a nice guy and he ****ing bought his gear and worked on his sound way before anybody else had even got going so respect is due i think.

DJPAUZE
20-07-2003, 08:30 PM
This is my opinion here. I have heard many other things and whats behind this track doesnt really apeal to me. I like tracks that have substance this track doesnt challenge my mind.
On another note I have nothing agains Renato Cohen, yes he has done alot for the brazilian techno scene as well as himself. For that I think he deserves alot of respect for sure.

davethedrummer
20-07-2003, 09:10 PM
fair enough frank
tell you what i wish i could've seen renato live a few years back
he was supposed to be really fantastic according to julian lib and mara

Adverse
20-07-2003, 09:17 PM
hmm unique sounding i don't know about that.. remided me an aweful lot like minue orange in some ways.. not horrible quality just not so deserving.

Esox Lucius
20-07-2003, 09:42 PM
what???

minus orange is one of the best techno tracks ever made!

Adverse
20-07-2003, 10:26 PM
hmm maybe not 'an aweful lot' but it just didn't sound very unique.. guh..

i like minus orange quite a bit myself :)

MrAcid
27-07-2003, 06:02 AM
2 years ago renato plays songs like powertools...4x4...hydraulix..
now...he playing some houses...some low stuffs...

why??? cause this kind of shit give him more money....i have no words
to explain my sensation when i watch him now...

for me...a circus attraction for the europe promoters...

cheers...Vinicius ...

MrAcid
27-07-2003, 06:14 AM
2 years ago renato plays songs like powertools...4x4...hydraulix..
now...he playing some houses...some low stuffs...

why??? cause this kind of shit give him more money....i have no words
to explain my sensation when i watch him now...

for me...a circus attraction for the europe promoters...

cheers...Vinicius ...
i know...i´m too radical...so that´s my style when i talk about people
like put his love...his techno...his soul behind the money

Vinicius

ROD
28-07-2003, 08:00 PM
i think renato is doing some commercial things right now.
carl cox made pontape thats is right now.
i like this track but now is too commercial.
i like to play that i like to listen.....so

ROD

The Overfiend
28-08-2003, 06:06 PM

www.petduo.com

I am only refreshing this comment because they are hands down my fave dj's. I would love to get more sets or see them come to Us or anything!
David kills and Ana Destroys in her sets!

278d7e64a374de26f==