PDA

View Full Version : Digital DJ Licence?

TechMouse
14-09-2005, 10:22 AM
Since there's been so much speculation on these pages of late regarding digital formats, thought people might be interested to read this - which someone posted up on the nuskoolbreaks.co.uk forums earlier this week.

found on djmag.com

After years of procrastinating, the UK’s broadcast royalties collection society, Phonographic Performance Limited (PPL), have created a licence for DJs wishing to play digital music files in public.

The Digital DJ license costs £200 per year and legally allows DJs to make up to 20,000 digital recordings onto a laptop or a computer to play out in clubs and pubs.

However, the license only covers DJs that play directly off laptops or computers.

It does not cover those that burn legally downloaded music onto CD, and even those that own a PPL Digital DJ license still face prosecution if caught doing so.

Peter Leathem from PPL said: “Before this license it was technically illegal to play mp3s in a club, but this digital license finally allows DJs to play off laptops or computers.”

“We will give DJs adequate time to purchase the license, and then will start regulating venues in the near future.”

He continued: “We’re also in talks with many big pub and club chains, and many of them are keen to have only licensed digital DJs playing in their venues.”

PPL’s Digital DJ license also allows DJs to keep back-ups of all their music files on a separate hard drive.

“This was something that we included in the scheme after having discussions with hundreds of professional DJs,” says Leathem.

“Originally, we were only going to allow 10,000 tracks to be downloaded per year with the license, but this has now been increased to 20,000 after many DJs suggested this figure was not high enough.”

Many will point out that policing DJs that play digital downloads off CD will be difficult.

After all, DJs have been doing this for years.

In response Leathem said: “There was a real need to establish a legal framework in regards to playing digital music in public.

“This has now been done, and soon we will make spot checks at clubs, and prosecute any digital DJs who don’t have the license.”

But how will PPL be able to tell if a digital music file has been legally, or illegally downloaded?

“Of course, this would be very difficult,” said Leathem.

“But we’ve given digital DJs a lifeline with this license, and we’re more concerned about those that continue to play digital music in public without it.”

Currently, only a handful of sites are offering PPL’s Digital DJ license, but the scheme will be available across the UK soon.

One such site – digitaldj.co.uk – has been set-up specifically to cater for the growing numbers of jocks going digital.

James Hudson, Marketing Manager at digitaldj.co.uk, said: “This is one of the most important industry developments in recent years.”

“Finally, digital DJs can play off their laptops without fear of being prosecuted.”

Digitaldj.co.uk is offering the PPL license on its own for £200, but for an extra £50 per year, DJs can gain full access to their website, which carries news, reviews, and features specifically written for DJs that have made the digital transition.

www.ppluk.com

For a PPL license visit: www.digitaldj.co.uk

This seems just another trick to get some money. We already pay for the tracks and now we need a license to play those tracks in a club?

Discuss...

Mirsha
14-09-2005, 10:35 AM
Christ what a load of ****ing utter toss. Clubs need a licence ot have live music, DJ's need a licence to play mp3's, where is this going to end? Are we going to have to apply for a yearly clubber licence to be allowed into a club? How about a street licence to walk down the street or a voice licence to be able ot use your voice?

As always this looks like a load of cow bollocks, yet another prety much enforceable way for the government to soak up money from people by adding another layer of pointles beuorocracy into peoples lives in attempt to gain yet another handle the government can wield in it's campaign of "Down with this sort of thing".

acidsaturation
14-09-2005, 01:07 PM
This is making people pay for the misdemenours of others.

And yeah, surely if a club has a liscence it shouldn't matter what format the music is in...?

And if you can download them then you should be able to copy them to CD if you're paying £200 for the privilage.

TechMouse
14-09-2005, 01:16 PM
But how will PPL be able to tell if a digital music file has been legally, or illegally downloaded?

“Of course, this would be very difficult,” said Leathem.

“But we’ve given digital DJs a lifeline with this license, and we’re more concerned about those that continue to play digital music in public without it.”

i.e. Download illegal music as much as you like once you've bought our licence, we won't give a flying fcuk.

The bit that concerns me the most is I often play stuff off CD.

Sometimes my own stuff, sometimes other people's... nearly always with the permission of the copyright owner... but it sounds like even with this licence, I might get into some kind of bother unless I was playing it off a lappy.

Komplex
14-09-2005, 02:57 PM
its nothing but a scam. who does that money go to? the artists? NO.

RDR
14-09-2005, 03:48 PM
Its nothing but a scam...

But one that we are all going to have to PLAY along with.

End of.

acidsaturation
14-09-2005, 04:12 PM
Does it specifically state that it's just mp3s...

Be an interesting loophole to check if you can play wav/ogg/wma etc...

TechMouse
14-09-2005, 04:14 PM
Does it specifically state that it's just mp3s...

Be an interesting loophole to check if you can play wav/ogg/wma etc...
The implication in the above article is that it's anything played digitally off a laptop.

... and that using CD decks will be illegal anyway.

tocsin
14-09-2005, 06:19 PM
I'm not down with it at all. Who gets the money and why? Do I have to pay for a license to digitally DJ music I write? Sounds like more unnecesary stupid beuracracy which will help some people get fat, and do little or nothing to combat the problem they are going after.

Heroes
14-09-2005, 09:17 PM
ppl, prs & mcps are a so called non profit organisation, yea right, ive seen there offices and they mabe non profit but they sure do spend on refurb and nice wages throughout, i tried to join prs 8 years ago and was told if i didnt have anything that was top 20 or looked like it they basically wasnt interested, i was told by mcps i couldnt claim money for 8000 sales i made on a label other than my own because i didnt claim within the 1st 6 months, if i was a major they allow 2 years. What they do is go round and bill places like clubs, restaurants, pubs, anything with a dukebox to a f ucking soapbox, you have to pay an anual subscription, but whats most ****ed of all is its not regulated its pecking order payout, they blindly think because its a club there playing top 40, so infact all the hard clubs, house clubs, drum n bass clubs, trance clubs are infact fueling and funding for simon cowles new ferrari........utter toss, its as out of date as the poll tax and needs a whole new shake up.....

g
14-09-2005, 10:13 PM
i wonder what the implications are for non-UK residents who come into the UK to play. either i'm not subject to this law, ever, or i suddenly am as soon as i show up in a UK club?

and yea, what an utter load of crap either way. the notion that you'd have to buy a license to play music that you rightfully own makes my head hurt.

TechMouse
15-09-2005, 11:19 AM
Lots of interesting points raised here.

Sounds like this topic runs even deeper and more destructively than I first thought.

The question is... how long before someone big enough gets bitten and decides to take them on.

Mirsha
15-09-2005, 12:10 PM
i wonder what the implications are for non-UK residents who come into the UK to play. either i'm not subject to this law, ever, or i suddenly am as soon as i show up in a UK club?

and yea, what an utter load of crap either way. the notion that you'd have to buy a license to play music that you rightfully own makes my head hurt.
You'll get grassed up to the cops, given an internal search since you aren't a UK national you will be a threat to security then put in solitary confinement until you are forcibly deported, at which point the American's put you in Guatanamo bay until you confess your crimes.

TechMouse
15-09-2005, 12:25 PM
at which point the American's put you in Guatanamo bay until you confess your crimes.
Yes! It's true! I played an mp3 in a club... god help me, I did...

TechMouse
15-09-2005, 12:26 PM
Seriously though... I reckon if they're going to bring in this kind of legislation they could really do with being a lot more clear and open about it. Perhaps leaflets, consultations etc. The biggest problem I can see is that no-one seems to quite understand the implications - what is covered, what isn't etc. - and certainly no-one seems to understand what they have to do.

RDR
15-09-2005, 02:47 PM
Seriously though... I reckon if they're going to bring in this kind of legislation they could really do with being a lot more clear and open about it. Perhaps leaflets, consultations etc. The biggest problem I can see is that no-one seems to quite understand the implications - what is covered, what isn't etc. - and certainly no-one seems to understand what they have to do.

Agreed, what i resent is the lack of consultation - they say that they spoke to DJs, but WHO? The PRS and the Musicians Onion have very little to do with DJs (I know, im a member) and treat DJs with little respect. The same with electronic musicians.

TechMouse
15-09-2005, 02:48 PM
they say that they spoke to DJs, but WHO?
My guess would be the kind of DJs that play in <insert name of local cheesy club here> and do in fact play tunes out of the top 40.

tocsin
15-09-2005, 03:31 PM
I'd be surprised if they seriously talked to anyone. This is just a new pyramid scheme, supposedly justified due to piracy, that will have no effect on piracy.

Mirsha
15-09-2005, 03:46 PM
But DJ's who pirate music won't be able to play it in clubs anymore! Think of the millions of downloads it'll stop and the billions it'll put in the pockets of people who make too much money for being talentless fat ****s! Think of the poor starving musicians, forced to tour around the globe to make a meagre living and survive on a poor mans diet of cavier and champagne.

TechMouse
15-09-2005, 03:59 PM
But DJ's who pirate music won't be able to play it in clubs anymore!
If you read the article, it implies that if you have one of these licences they won't care where you get your mp3s from.

RDR
15-09-2005, 04:21 PM
But DJ's who pirate music won't be able to play it in clubs anymore!
If you read the article, it implies that if you have one of these licences they won't care where you get your mp3s from.

Thats the only way around their problem (in their eyes anyway) Blanket sting everyone, that way everyones a loser baby.

So why dont we kill them!

dan the acid man
15-09-2005, 05:25 PM
unless theres more written somwhere else, i cant see how this could stand up in a court, like everybody here has already pointed out, theres too many loopholes in it

davethedrummer
16-09-2005, 06:45 AM
yeah yeah ,
come on officer......arrest me :roll:

AcidTrash
16-09-2005, 08:24 PM
Thats easy solved. Just play your own stuff and tell them to f*ck right off.

TechMouse
19-09-2005, 11:30 AM
Thats easy solved. Just play your own stuff and tell them to f*ck right off.
That's the thing though - do you expect a penpusher with a clipboard to know the difference?

Jay Pace
19-09-2005, 12:07 PM
It would be a great get-out clause - "Honestly officer, all my own work..."

Can't seem them disputing that.

"No son, I clearly recognise that as PUNISH 16. You'll swing for this..."

:shock:

Heroes
19-09-2005, 03:12 PM
[quote="TechMouse"][quote=Mirsha]But DJ's who pirate music won't be able to play it in clubs anymore!

looking forward to that day

RDR
19-09-2005, 05:18 PM
[quote=TechMouse][quote=Mirsha]But DJ's who pirate music won't be able to play it in clubs anymore!

looking forward to that day

I seriously recommend you read the web site and the full terms... it isnt going to happen.

RDR
19-09-2005, 05:20 PM
"What happens when the licence is terminated?

Depending upon the reason for the termination, you may be able to obtain a further licence, in which case you will be able to keep all the sound recordings on the DJ Database and the Back-up Database.
If a new licence is not granted, you will have to delete all the sound recordings on the DJ Database that were not acquired by way of lawful downloads (and you will not be able use the remaining sound recordings for public performances). You also will have to delete all the sound recordings on the Back-up Database."

:eh:

TechMouse
19-09-2005, 05:25 PM
Do what?

JamieBall
19-09-2005, 05:39 PM
But DJ's who pirate music won't be able to play it in clubs anymore! Think of the millions of downloads it'll stop and the billions it'll put in the pockets of people who make too much money for being talentless fat ****! Think of the poor starving musicians, forced to tour around the globe to make a meagre living and survive on a poor mans diet of cavier and champagne.

Yeah, Mirsha.

You tell 'em - You TOTAL D*CK !

Easy to sit on the outside and throw stones, isn't it.

Being as you're one of the people who was 'in on the basement level' of Soulseek (or at least some grubby underbuild) I'd expect this attitude, to be honest.

Ironically, the only people who can survive what amounts to the current scene rápé on a massive scale (being perpetrated by the likes of yourself, sir) are the very hoarding and "talentless fat ****" with whom you seem to have such a problem.

NONE of the people I know involved in techno are coining it in at the moment. For me it is (and always has been) pretty much voluntary work, but I have dedicated my life so far to it* and shall continue to do so as long as it's not hurting me too much financially for too long.

To have some jumped up little twerp such as yourself steam in with a mouthfull of so much horsesh*t... GRRRR....

Why should all of us work so hard and put (potentially) our futures on the line just to have some dicks trivialising things without even thinking about it ?? Can anyone suggest a suitable answer ?

Would you keep feeding a baby, no matter how much you cared for it, if it threw up EVERYTHING you gave it ?

Finally, how do you fancy doing your fúck*ng 9 to 5 (or whatever god forsaken hours you work) for NOTHING ?

PS: For anyone interested, my dial is on '4' today. You may have noticed.

*And other business interests that are thankfully none of your concern.

MARKEG
19-09-2005, 05:49 PM
woooooooahhhh!!!

*mark pulls the reigns for fear of dog shit in face*

totally see just music's side but please can we keep the 'you total dick' thing to a minimum? please!!!!!!!

cheers guys!!!

Jay Pace
19-09-2005, 05:50 PM
Woah - easy there dude!

I respect that people like yourselves are getting burned badly by this. But piracy is a relatively new phenomena, brought about by the complete lack adequate content protection.

This will get sorted out, trust me. And then all the lables, shops, distributors etc who got raped will suddenly find themselves right back on it, because the brand, the following and the loyalty they inspire is valued.

Value your brand, tighten your belts and ride this one out and you will come out laughing.

Consider ditching vinyl though - it's had its day, but music will always endure. Look forward guys. People love music and people are happy to pay for it. Its just too easy and practical to steal at the mo'. Not condoning it, not doing it - just an observation.

Think this licence is fatally flawed, can't see it getting off the ground.
DRM will take care of this shit sooner rather than later.

JamieBall
19-09-2005, 07:09 PM
keep the 'you total dick' thing to a minimum? please!!!!!!!

Mark, check yer PM's.

Mirsha knows it's just a bit of my 'overtly spicy' banter, anyhow.

It's how us Scots come off.

When my mum said hello to me today I invited her out into the driveway and promptly ran her over in my stinking great car.

Then I said 'hello to you too', before doing a few lines of porridge and being generally miserly with my money.

JamieBall
19-09-2005, 07:20 PM
When my mum said hello to me today

This was just for the purposes of comedy banter, incase anyone felt like interjecting with something along the lines of 'almost 30 and still living with his mum, no WONDER he's ****ed off'.

I have my own house now. And very nice it is, too.

I can regularly be found there, hoarding and re-counting the INSURMOUNTABLE sums I've made from my 10 or so years in and around the techno scene.

Traxx
19-09-2005, 07:30 PM
Show off ;)

eyeswithoutaface
19-09-2005, 07:35 PM
you should see his money pool then, 7ft in the deep end, full of pound coins

MARKEG
19-09-2005, 08:12 PM
and here he is with his hoes ->

http://www.sachsreport.com/Crazy%20Rich%20Are%20Americans%20succesful%20becau se%20they're%20nuts%20filthy%20rich%20insane%20ins anely%20united%20states%20wealthy%20pimp%20bikini% 20girls%20mirror%20sunglasses%20whatever.jpg

:lol:

tocsin
19-09-2005, 09:49 PM
Soulseek is great. If you don't understand why, you have tunnel vision. As for fat talentless ****s making money off the digital license if it passes, it's 100% true. Who will be getting this money do you think? The artists or the monopoly if big industry labels that repeatedly whine about how hard they have it because of meager online piracy? Will there now be a filing requirement for setlists so the artists who had tracks played get paid from this fund? No. This is a pyramid scheme. Don't buy into it.

JamieBall
19-09-2005, 10:06 PM
and here he is with his hoes ->

http://www.sachsreport.com/Crazy%20Rich%20Are%20Americans%20succesful%20becau se%20they're%20nuts%20filthy%20rich%20insane%20ins anely%20united%20states%20wealthy%20pimp%20bikini% 20girls%20mirror%20sunglasses%20whatever.jpg

Yeah, that's me rocking yet another sharp suit...

Also, with regards to the pool, I had the pound coins replaced with melted gold bars cause I thought it'd look cool. I realised my oversight shortly after discovering that it was only my £10,000,000 pound hostile environment droid that can swim in it.

One of the ho's just disappeared when she went in off the diving board. There was a little bit of steam came up, but nothing else. I sent the robot in to get her back, hence the discovery.

I just wrote off the ho against tax and got my accountant to sort a p45, then I paid a load of tramps £800 an hour to watch me burning hundred pound notes for the rest of the day.

La vie... C'est tres bien, n'est pas ?

dan the acid man
19-09-2005, 10:37 PM
funny thread of the day :lol:

TechMouse
20-09-2005, 10:12 AM
But piracy is a relatively new phenomena
Eh?

http://www.cliffcramp.com/images/pirateold.jpg

RDR
20-09-2005, 10:33 AM
Do what?
Read it again mark, with particular reference to the

"you will have to delete all the sound recordings on the DJ Database that were not acquired by way of lawful downloads "

this is to do with whe your license expires....

RDR
20-09-2005, 10:34 AM
Ps

AVAST YE LAN' LUBBERS, YER RECORDINGS BE MINE!

TechMouse
20-09-2005, 10:58 AM
Do what?

"you will have to delete all the sound recordings on the DJ Database that were not acquired by way of lawful downloads "

I understood, I was merely expressing incredulence.

Heroes
21-09-2005, 05:30 PM
"What happens when the licence is terminated?

Depending upon the reason for the termination, you may be able to obtain a further licence, in which case you will be able to keep all the sound recordings on the DJ Database and the Back-up Database.
If a new licence is not granted, you will have to delete all the sound recordings on the DJ Database that were not acquired by way of lawful downloads (and you will not be able use the remaining sound recordings for public performances). You also will have to delete all the sound recordings on the Back-up Database."

:eh:

great, repeated license renewals, what a great idea i might start a label called bbc, or sky, cant wait until they police the net for all its traffic, which i would say is happening already anyway, we just dont know it. damn i cant wait for those id cards to come in, iam 1st in line, love it "control" with nothing to hide whats the problem?

Heroes
21-09-2005, 05:39 PM
Its amazing how loads of people on this forum get judged to be unhardcore and imoral beause there making about 9 quid more a year than the national average wage, hell freezes over on here if someone makes 1% above inflation.........oooh naughty producer, naughty naughty..........

tocsin
21-09-2005, 05:53 PM
^^^^ Ummmm, what the hell are you talking about?

Heroes
21-09-2005, 07:37 PM
iam on about the tired liitle rants because some people have been lucky to make a few quid in the good times, its starting to get about as interesting reading those post from people who missed the boat as it is about the vynle or mp3 endless whaff. thing is most rants about people making too much money are coming from people who either missed the boat or there stuff didnt really have too much to say. either way you look at it its all a bit playground and bitttter

tocsin
21-09-2005, 08:19 PM
I guess we're reading different threads.

Heroes
21-09-2005, 08:33 PM
well we must be if you say we are

MARKEG
21-09-2005, 09:17 PM
right then *mark stamps his foot like a big girl*

let's get back on track!

tocsin
21-09-2005, 09:23 PM
Honestly, I'me very much lost, Mark. Seriously, if I've somehow missed something, fill me in.

The Overfiend
21-09-2005, 10:11 PM
This is horrendous.
We get the good ones and then lose them to people who have not half of the experience points. :evil:

The Divide
21-09-2005, 11:18 PM
Labels never really coined it in I don't think. Unless were talking mainstream music, which is totally out of context. Mirsha had a point as for the likes of Britney Spears and all that bull.

Personally I think this idea is a half baked act of desperation for PPL. Im not 100% what the PPL is, but im guessing that its similar than the MCPS. The MCPS is a waste of money imo, I signed up and got really confused by it all. All i know is for the fee i paid all i got was confused and some lousy letters from them telling me how many millions they were loosing in revenue. That revenue should have reached the artists which in techno I think would be peanuts anyways. Plus the label I was on at the time sorted all that out anyways but I think the problem was I never really liked the idea in the first place. My loss I guess

I do think some of the superstar dj's coined it in bigtime. I have said this all along. The ones that get my respect do a good job and actually support the scene without trying to milk it. Thats all I got to say really. Im guessing this may not work but schemes similar to this will follow

RDR
22-09-2005, 07:47 AM
Do what?

I understood, I was merely expressing incredulence.

:lol: :lol:

What makes me laugh out loud is the comment "even those note lawfully aqquired" This effectively gives a license to people who hold a license to illegally download and feel all smug that they have a 'license' to do it. In reality 200quid vs 20,000 downloads equals 1p per tune. how much of that will the artists see? less than that in a percentage for sure...
IF they manage to get anything at all.

Boo Hiss, very poor showing PPL!

278d7e64a374de26f==