PDA

View Full Version : Healthy looking techno scene oop north

14-09-2005, 01:01 PM
Just been putting my list together for all the nights i need to be flyering at this month and noticed how healthy the techno scene is looking in the north west at the moment, here are some of the artists who are playing in the next month:

Oscar Mulero, Hawtin, Ben Sims, Ben Long, John Warwick, Cave, Ignition Technitian, Ricardo Villalobos, Steve Bug, Luke slater, Anthony Rother, James Ruskin, 65d mavericks Rolando, Percy X, Carl Taylor, Carl Craig , Andy Weatherall, Julian Liberator, Dj Bone, A guy called Gerald, Cj Bolland, Thomas Krome, Makaton, Billy Nasty , Transparent sound , Dj Bam Bam !

Thats some serious techno there all in the space of a month and all int north !

conflict
14-09-2005, 01:23 PM
yea thats some serious techno!!

whose playing where

:lol:

*Nancy*
14-09-2005, 01:31 PM
We need more of that down here in Plymouth !!! :!: :cry:

robin m
14-09-2005, 01:32 PM
Looks pretty healthy to me as well! :clap:

...but yeah, who's on where? Particularly Julian Liberator & Bam Bam?

eyeswithoutaface
14-09-2005, 01:36 PM
alot of them are in Liverpool

Bam Bam is at Blusing Melons in Liverpool this month

TechMouse
14-09-2005, 01:50 PM
Think Julian Liberator is @ Compressed?

Reckon a brief flick through the Promotion forum should sort you out.

14-09-2005, 02:02 PM
Oscar mulero = Locked, manchester
Hawtin, sims , bug and Villalabos = tribal sessions at sankeys, manchester
bam bam = blushing melons, liverpool
thomas krome and makaton= Darkside, leeds
Ruskin, bone, 65's, Rother and slater, gerald = Voodoo, liverpool
Nasty and transparent sound = sequence, manchester
Liberator = Compressed, Rhyl
Andy weatherall and Carl Craig= Kindergarten, manchester
ben long and cave, new night in manc
rolando, percy x= alien radio manchester

maily
14-09-2005, 02:16 PM
&

Neil Landstrumm @ Pure Techno, Hull.

;)

TechMouse
14-09-2005, 02:18 PM
&

;)

Ah, that famous town in the North West.

maily
14-09-2005, 02:21 PM
a bit like Leeds?

anyway, the title of the post is "oop north" and we's definately that.

TechMouse
14-09-2005, 02:24 PM
Just been putting my list together for all the nights i need to be flyering at this month and noticed how healthy the techno scene is looking in the north west at the moment, here are some of the artists who are playing in the next month:

:twisted:

maily
14-09-2005, 02:33 PM
oh yeah how lax of me :roll:

kai
14-09-2005, 02:43 PM
OOOHHHH!!!!!

Oscar Mulero on at Locked this month ay? I'll be along for that one! His set at Q-Base last weekend was mind blowing!

Traxx
14-09-2005, 05:36 PM
Rolando is on in liverpool as well.

Mindful
14-09-2005, 05:39 PM
Rolando is on in liverpool as well.

The guy that used too be in grange hill?

Mindful
14-09-2005, 05:40 PM
http://www.grangehillfans.co.uk/starfile/images/Erkan_Mustafa.jpg

:lol:

Stella Boy
14-09-2005, 06:46 PM
great names there but I've add that there's some damn fine resident dj's at all of those events aswell :cool:

the unsung heroes of many a good techno night imo

eyeswithoutaface
14-09-2005, 07:06 PM
definately Tony, good shout

eyeswithoutaface
14-09-2005, 07:07 PM
and let's not forget the fantastic local talent that these nights support too! :lol: ;)

mattboyslim
14-09-2005, 11:08 PM
saw josh wink the other night, then we got james ruskin at pure filth in a couple of weeks, and i heard on the grapevine speedy j will be in town for firefly soon. hmm, could nottingham be rising from a very unhealthy rut?

mattboyslim
14-09-2005, 11:09 PM
We need more of that down here in Plymouth !!! :!: :cry:phil kieran down there next month chuck :cool:

Traxx
15-09-2005, 12:27 AM
Add jamie bissmire to the list as well

robin m
15-09-2005, 12:42 AM
Add jamie bissmire to the list as well

Oooh, where's that then? :notworthy: :dance:

Traxx
15-09-2005, 12:47 AM
He's playing before bam bam now as well at blushing mellons in liverpool.

h3sp4wn
17-09-2005, 01:59 PM
Missed off
Thomas Krome in Leeds at Darkside (Oct)

and

Galaxy 2 Galaxy and Los Hermanos - LIVE at Darkside again (Nov)
(8 man live set apparantly)

--

I am not affliated with darkside in anyway but think those are both top acts that its rare to see in England.

MARKEG
18-09-2005, 01:21 AM
this is brilliant. the north is really becoming a mecca for good stuff at the mo in the uk. actually, also worth a metion is the south west - lots of new converts to the sound ;)

i think england might finally be getting it's shit together. it's at the early stages, but i'm really hopeful.... :clap:

acidsaturation
18-09-2005, 10:25 AM
I do hope you're right, 'cos I have to say Leeds don't feel like it at the moment.

Ok there's Darkside, but a few people find that expensive (both entry and drunks inside - that's not a dig at the door price btw, 'cos im not saying it's not worth it, just somewhere I'd love to go more but can't often afford).

Where else really now? There's no place for smaller clubs and new promotors to cut their teeth really, and nights that start up seem to have a big turn out for a little while then it drops again and everyone says "where's the techno"...

Take Fusion as an example - ended up they were losing loads each month 'cos of having shit hot djs playing to 20 people...

What happened to a decent techno/"proper" house (by that I mean "underground" not superclub-wannabee) night every weekend and a few inbetween... what happened to Templehead doing a techno night as a freshers event and pulling hundreds... seens one of the liberator lot was up in leeds almost every week for a while and pulled the crowds in everytime ...and the orbit of course...

It seems no one likes us anymore...

Reading this back that has come accross as more -ve sounding than I wanted, but I'm not gonna edit it - I feel there has been a bit slump (where I live anyway) recently and I do hope that that what you've said is true and some of this quality stuff that is going on at the moment is indicative of a change, and sticks and gets things going again...

And just so much respect for the people who are keeping it going...

acidsaturation
18-09-2005, 11:01 AM
PS. Just seen next Darkside would cost me (having taken the plunge and gone back into education...) £8 so I'll reconsider thinking it's expensive...

Do remember on a couple of occasions sitting in the pub and thinking Wow I'd really like to go but it's like £12 on the poster and just can't afford...

Anyway, just didn't want that to come across like I was slagging, just feeling skint and finding what techno there is gets more and more pricey...!

acidsaturation
18-09-2005, 11:01 AM
PS. Just seen next Darkside would cost me (having taken the plunge and gone back into education...) £8 so I'll reconsider thinking it's expensive...

Do remember on a couple of occasions sitting in the pub and thinking Wow I'd really like to go but it's like £12 on the poster and just can't afford...

Anyway, just didn't want that to come across like I was slagging, just feeling skint and finding what techno there is gets more and more pricey...!

Martin Dust
18-09-2005, 01:08 PM
I reckon Darkside is worth the price £8 or £12, they take loads of risks and bring new acts thru - they have our support.

eyeswithoutaface
18-09-2005, 01:27 PM
£8 or £12 to get into a club offering guests like Darkside is a reflection on the fee's incorporated into putting on such events, i have no doubt they dont make on this either especially with the ever increasing mis-alignment of Dj's and their fee's

£8 to see Robert Hood and some excellent residents really is not alot of money.... £12 for the same thing is maybe pushing it but id still happily pay that to see artists of such calibre.

like all things in life you get what you pay for

Stella Boy
18-09-2005, 02:23 PM
we spend all our money on booze and cheap women, very cheap women, women who accept shrapnel instead of crisp notes :lol:

The Hood night at £12 ( £10 guest list ) was an exception; he was on an exclusive booking in the UK so no flight share from the states plus we had equipment hire which he needed to play live. Add to this the usual costs in hotels, meals, advertising ( in the Hood instance at the last minute due to date change ) I think £10/£12 is a very good deal for one of the finest dj's around.

We've always kept our admission prices in line with the running cost of the event, making darkside a non-profit organisation ;)

Anywho, there's a guest list entry at reduced admission price for all our events and this is always noted on advertising material.

acidsaturation
18-09-2005, 02:32 PM
Like I said, I in no way want to sound like I'm saying it's not worth it.

It's just at the moment I tend to have maybe £20 to go out on, and it a tenner in and £3.20 for a pint of warm flat beer and then having to walk home if I want more than one drink it's hard when that is about the only chance I get to hear decent Techno. I know a lot of people in the same situation, and also who due to prefering to wear combats/hoodies/leather jacket/dirty trainers/boots/have a beard etc do get hassle from security in the centre of town.

My moan really in that there's nowhere left in Leeds that isn't stupid drinks prices and where a promoter can put on smaller cheaper nights - maybe more local DJs, or take a risk with music that's less popular. Or certainly not at weekends. My problem with Leeds Techno is that the City clubs just don't leave much opportunity for more DIY type events. It's the constraints put on techno by club commercailism that's my bugbear.

And that the price of a pint in city centre clubs seems to have inflated about 25% each year whilst my "cost of living" goes at about 3%.

We used to put stuff on in Leeds, not a huge time ago- Think Tank was a venue we used, and the Phono where it was £2 - £2.20 for a beer and we could afford to run a night at a fiver in - that's what doesn't happen any more. We got the West Indian Centre which is cheap beer and usually £7-8 in, but the two established nights there are Psy trance and Hard Dance type stuff (which I love going too), but theres no way a new night, or one that was solely techno and hence appeals less to the 18 yearold pill monkeys would manage to break it there.

Anyway, get my pay-rise next month so I reckon I'll be down Darkside more often! :love:

Tiptoe
18-09-2005, 02:32 PM
I do hope you're right, 'cos I have to say Leeds don't feel like it at the moment.

Ok there's Darkside, but a few people find that expensive (both entry and drunks inside - that's not a dig at the door price btw, 'cos im not saying it's not worth it, just somewhere I'd love to go more but can't often afford).

Where else really now? There's no place for smaller clubs and new promotors to cut their teeth really, and nights that start up seem to have a big turn out for a little while then it drops again and everyone says "where's the techno"...

Take Fusion as an example - ended up they were losing loads each month 'cos of having shit hot djs playing to 20 people...

What happened to a decent techno/"proper" house (by that I mean "underground" not superclub-wannabee) night every weekend and a few inbetween... what happened to Templehead doing a techno night as a freshers event and pulling hundreds... seens one of the liberator lot was up in leeds almost every week for a while and pulled the crowds in everytime ...and the orbit of course...

It seems no one likes us anymore...

Reading this back that has come accross as more -ve sounding than I wanted, but I'm not gonna edit it - I feel there has been a bit slump (where I live anyway) recently and I do hope that that what you've said is true and some of this quality stuff that is going on at the moment is indicative of a change, and sticks and gets things going again...

And just so much respect for the people who are keeping it going...

you get what you pay for. if you want to pay £4/5 in expect to see a name of that calibre.
The prices in Leeds reflect the quality of dj's we as a city get on. I think the scene here is ok and would not complain one bit at the door prices.

eyeswithoutaface
18-09-2005, 02:36 PM
exactly what i meant Tony, people are too quick to dismiss door prices without doing their homework into what it takes to make the night tick over. I think in general people have a bit of a diluded idea as to were ticket/door money actually goes

£12 to watch Hood, and thats enterance to the club and the opportunity to see some other excellent djs, really is not a problem. Even Atomic Jam's advance tickets are always £13.50 and thats class considering some of the costs that goes into the event, granted its more on the door but the fact they offer such a low fixed price ticket is fair play in my eyes

dan the acid man
18-09-2005, 03:02 PM
leeds has got some great nights at the minute, sheffields in the shit again though :doh:

RDR
19-09-2005, 07:49 AM
&

;)

Ah, that famous town in the North West.

Oi!!!!!!!!

What about ME!!!! supporting Mr Landstrumm. !!!

The Inspectors - LIVE (as always..) @Pure Techno October the 7th.. shame on you Andy!

ds2
20-09-2005, 09:19 AM

darkside - the stella artois of techno clubs.

sorry you've been put off in the past but we always offer £2 discount before 11pm and when we've done tickets in the past they've been up to £4 cheaper than the door price. as of this month i've introduced a flat rate door price of £8 for nus/unemployed which i'll try and keep to as much as possible. hope you and your mates can come check us out.

drink wise there's not a venue in leeds i'd be happy using that offers cheap drinks. i've never been a fan of the west indian centre and the phono is a shit hole with a system to match. that doesn't really leave anywhere else. we're at the peephouse now which is slightly cheaper than our last venue and they have a good selection of draft beers if that helps. also, i know a few people bring their own flasks to the club which i don't condone at all..

acidsaturation
20-09-2005, 12:26 PM
Cheers!

Though I really didn't want this to become a discussion on door prices as such. Like I said I'm wanting to talk about the fact that really Leeds seems to have one main techno club.

My main point is how there used to be little techno nights all over the place, both big, high calibre nights and little DIY local nights, and there seems to be so much less. I'll happily pay the odds for top quality nights when I need to and can afford to, but sometimes you want something different - be that varity, or a cheap night out on the beer with some of the shit hot local talent etc, and the venue situation in Leeds is stifling that and is (I think) holding the techno scene back as there's no where left really for smaller (and yes, maybe cheaper) nights to get going.

Is anyone else feeling this is what I'm wondering?

278d7e64a374de26f==