PDA

View Full Version : What do you hope for when you make a record?

serox
16-09-2005, 04:47 PM
When you make a record why are you doing it? What is your desired result, what could be the best possible thing to happen?
I hardly see any thing in the record shops that is new that I like. Either it sounds the same as what others have already done, but not even as good. Or it sounds like people are just following a formular that they used to sell 10 records already. Wouldn’t you rather spend more time and make some thing that will still sound good and hold its own in 10 yrs time? It is meant to be techno after all right, make music for the future?

/me hides.

fatcollective
16-09-2005, 05:14 PM
obviously the best thing you want to happen is to sell the full pressing. other bonuses are when djs that your respect give you good feedback and play your tunes out. thats it really :lol:

fatcollective
16-09-2005, 05:19 PM
obviously the best thing you want to happen is to sell the full pressing. other bonuses are when djs that your respect give you good feedback and play your tunes out. thats it really :lol:

sorry i didnt read the thread properly, i just read the title....well i have just got back from work so please excuse me :doh:

RDR
16-09-2005, 05:28 PM
That it can be worked into a live set, that its lively and interesting, it has good sounds in it. And that most of all I ENJOY listening to it.

Jay Pace
16-09-2005, 05:41 PM
That I produce something that I still like by the time I have finished it.

Rarely happens sadly.

The Teknoist.
16-09-2005, 06:52 PM
That I produce something that I still like by the time I have finished it.

Rarely happens sadly.

likewise, give it a week after its finished and i pretty much hate it.

Ummmm... I just do whatever feels right. It's the arrangement bit that has no rules for me really. I just start and see what happens. I don't like blocky arrangements, I like things that flow... that grow at various rates rather than going from one section to another to another... although sotimes harsh changes can work really well.

I dont think you can actualy put stuff down exactly as it is in your head either. It's all about entering into a dialogue with your tools. The more you get to know your tools inside out, the more you can preempt what they're going to do, and the more you can start to plan stuff out in your head with the knowledge of what they can do. But as long as they keep surprising you (which they always will) you won;t be able to make the sounds in your head exactly as you imagine them

AcidTrash
16-09-2005, 08:27 PM
I just love the opportunity to use my tunes on the format I love best.. If other people are into it too then that's amazing.

The Teknoist.
16-09-2005, 08:32 PM
i sorta drifted way off subject as usual :roll:

I dont really make techno so i couldnt comment. I would say the stuff i usualy write though is an original combination of a few genres. My own take on things lets say. I make music though in general not to sell records but because its the only thing i really enjoy doing and i dont think i could stop if i tried. I do try during the day, go for a break for 30mins but i end up cutting that short to run back up to the studio.

meh.. whatchagonnado

holotropik
17-09-2005, 07:58 AM
I try to make something that is better than before and closer to what I am feeling at the time.

I also have a small collective of DJ's & Producers here in OZ that I have a mutual respect for. I write for them. If they say that I have improved or they go bananas when they hear my new stuff then I am happy. They will play it out for me and they will book me to play LIVE at one of their events.

What more could you ask for??

I release it through a digital label (EDMdigital.com) but that doesnt do much good. Havent chased up the vinyl thing really as I am not sure what is the go yet when it comes to what format is more popular?? See what happens in a few years I guess.

MARKEG
17-09-2005, 09:42 AM
>>> When you make a record why are you doing it? What is your desired result, what could be the best possible thing to happen?

At first I made music cause it was a natural progression from DJing. But the more I got into it, and developed out psuedonym The Anxious, the more I felt on a mission. When I go into the studio I feel like I'm undercover, creeping around in a sewer trying to keep away from the vermin. Hehehehe. So right now, the desired result is to learn more and more about production everyday, to take The Anxious sound forward. To present an alternative to repetative loopy shit, to almost create a new sound. I really honestly don't know if we're achieving that, but I do know that it's the main goal of ours - to create a new style and a total identity for what we do. What could be the best thing to happen? For me to stay in this game for the rest of my life. But as everyone tells me - you're gonna have to grow up and get a proper job one day. BOLLOX TO THAT!! I'd rather starve.

:)

Komplex
17-09-2005, 09:49 AM
I also have a small collective of DJ's & Producers here in OZ that I have a mutual respect for. I write for them. If they say that I have improved or they go bananas when they hear my new stuff then I am happy. They will play it out for me and they will book me to play LIVE at one of their events.

speaking of which, do you have any new stuff finnished mate?

Andon topic:

The aim is to express myself and my ideas musically (eg the Phase One thing). Or just to share some decent beats with whoever wants to listen

The Overfiend
17-09-2005, 09:50 AM
I want the hardest of critics to be like yeah thats dope.

Komplex
17-09-2005, 12:01 PM
I want the hardest of critics to be like yeah thats dope.

I hear ya!

the "critics" can go and f_ck themselves to be honest :lol:

there is alway someone who will like your music and others that will hate it.

audioinjection
17-09-2005, 08:16 PM
i make records to make alot of money and play gigs like tiesto, hopefully spin at the olympics one day, and be the #1 dj in the world...

joking

The Overfiend
18-09-2005, 12:56 AM
i make records to make alot of money and play gigs like tiesto, hopefully spin at the olympics one day, and be the #1 dj in the world...

then you gotta be funkmaster flex
http://www.figtreebiz.com/firelinks%20funkmaster%20flex/funkmaster%20flex%20cover.jpg

audioinjection
18-09-2005, 12:58 AM
haha yeah, and i want to try to rap as well :lol:

MARKEG
18-09-2005, 01:14 AM
there was a young woman from lymm
who had an oversized quim
it wasnt the size that attracted the flys
it was the critilized cum round the rim

:crackup:

holotropik
18-09-2005, 01:54 AM
Hey Komplex,
I had a critical failure of my lappy while doing some new stuff and had to send it back to the manufacturer so they could deposit it in their ass. Seems the chipset had the wrong bus ticket and kept getting dropped off on the other side of town.

Luckily I rely on hardware to write my shit with so work is still in progress, just cant capture it at the mo' to distibute to y'all. Should be back this week.

All this right when I got gigs piling up......me better get back to work. Seeya.

pedrod
18-09-2005, 10:46 AM
there was a young woman from lymm
who had an oversized quim
it wasnt the size that attracted the flys
it was the critilized cum round the rim

:crackup:

oh dear :doh:

278d7e64a374de26f==