PDA

View Full Version : miss kitten

conflict
16-09-2005, 10:27 PM
found this on another website just now...

STATEMENT FROM info@celtronic.co.uk ( Derry )

We would rather be sitting at this stage reminiscing about a great night but
instead we feel compelled to set the record straight about the actions of Miss
Kittin at our event on Friday night past. After years of negotiations, we
finally secured a date for Miss Kittin to play at our clubnight. It was a night
we were really looking forward to enjoying ourselves but due to the actions of
Miss Kittin, we found this impossible. In all our time of promoting parties, we
feel we have never been treated so badly by a visiting artist.

The venue we had chosen to put Miss Kittin on was The Nerve Centre where we have
put on a variety of DJ’s and live acts including Laurent Garnier, Dave Clarke,
X-Press 2, Mylo, 2020 Soundsystem, Jon Carter, Layo & Bushwacka, Justin
Robertson, Slam, Paul Daley, Tom Middleton, Erol Alkan, Andrew Weatherall, Lee
Burridge, Mr C, David Holmes, DJ Format & MC Abdominal, Radioactive Man,
Fingathing, Silicone Soul, Umek, Craig Richards, James Zabiela, Billy Nasty,
Jazzanova, James Lavelle, Scratch Perverts, DJ Craze, The Psychonauts, Si Begg.
The Nerve Centre has also hosted some of the biggest names in rock music
including The Thrills, The Undertones, Ian Brown, The Zutons, Embrace, Gomez,
David Gray, Sinead O’Connor, The Doves.

Miss Kittin was picked up at Belfast Airport by taxi which transported her to
The Tower Hotel in Derry where we had booked her the most expensive suite as
well as an additional room for her manager. On meeting Miss Kittin and her
manager outside the hotel and welcoming them to our city, we were greeted by
Miss Kittin with ‘It’s ****ing freezing’ - no hello, nothing.

On returning to the hotel to bring Miss Kittin and her manager to the club, we
advised Miss Kittin that the club was next door to the hotel so we would walk to
the club. After walking no more than 15 metres, Miss Kittin stopped dead in her
tracks and said ‘This is next door… where is the ****ing club?’ We told Miss
Kittin that the club was just another 30 metres away round the corner.

We then took Miss Kittin to the boardroom of The Nerve Centre where we had a
large range of drinks, fruit and various snacks prepared for her. Initially
refusing a drink, Caroline then said ‘How am I meant to enjoy myself tonight.
It took me six ****ing hours to get here and I’m ****ing freezing. I could have
been in New York’. Prior to booking her extremely expensive flights, we had
suggested several alternative travel options to Miss Kittin that would have got
her to Derry quicker. We also warned her of the regular delays that take place
at Heathrow on Friday evenings. However there was no flexibility with Miss
Kittin regarding flights.

Miss Kittin eventually decided to have a bottle of water but complained that she
did not want the water if it was too cold as she was already ‘****ing freezing’.
We then brought Miss Kittin upstairs to the venue to commence her set. We pride
ourselves on providing everything artists ask for. The setup on stage was
perfect, as was asked for in the contract. Both our resident DJ’s tried to
introduce themselves to Miss Kittin but were greeted with a hateful ‘I don’t
understand you’. After starting her set, we are informed by her manager that
there was a problem. Basically, the problem was that Caroline was used to
playing in bigger venues in front of larger crowds. At this stage the venue was
only open an hour and there were nearly 300 people in the venue and there were
people still coming in to the club.

We are then informed that Miss Kittin will play for 1 hour only and that we
should have one of our DJ’s ready to take over. Informed by her manager that
there was no way of changing her mind, one of our residents took over from Miss
Kittin after she had played 75 minutes. At the end of the night, when paying her
fee to her manager, we asked what should we say to the clubbers who had came to
the club to hear Miss Kittin. He informed us that we should lie, ‘tell the
people she was sick or something as she has fans and she would not want to
disappoint her fans.’

These are the fans that she refused to acknowledge all night and basically
refused to play for. We have always found that truth is the best policy and we
are not going to change now and we don’t believe feigning illness for Miss
Kittin to keep her reputation intact as a good enough reason to change this
policy. Within the genres of music we promote, we find that the majority of
people that we invite to play are likeminded people, sociable and polite but
more importantly professional. In almost eight years of putting on parties, Miss
Kittin is the outstanding exception to this rule.

We have been lucky enough to host some of the world’s top DJ’s and producers
over the years who always retain a sense of honesty and humility. Derry may not
be as cosmopolitan as New York, Paris or Milan but you will be hard pushed to
find a more receptive or passionate crowd. Most visiting DJ’s comment on the
great reaction and warmth of the people. There is no excuse or valid reason for
Miss Kittin’s actions on Friday night. She was getting paid a lot of money to
play records for a couple of hours. All we wanted was for her to do her job.

mihica
16-09-2005, 10:42 PM
what did you expect from someone with such a bad taste in music * :love:

dan the acid man
16-09-2005, 11:25 PM
diva techno, a new genre :roll:

wtf, i cant believe she acted like a spoilt star, brings her manager with her, top hotel room, dressing room with fruits, drinks etc, jeez :doh:

new
17-09-2005, 12:25 AM
I said it on livesets, I'll say it here -

she's just not a good artist. She has a dead voice, one that sounds like she's sold all the soul she's had. All the tracks she's done by herself invariably are weaker than the ones with others producing her beats for her. And of those, the producers invariably show their true streagnth when working with a competant singer. For instance, miss kitten and the hacker is good, but the hacker by himself or with oxia is amazing.

Sunil
17-09-2005, 01:03 AM
I said it on livesets, I'll say it here -

she's just not a good artist. She has a dead voice, one that sounds like she's sold all the soul she's had. All the tracks she's done by herself invariably are weaker than the ones with others producing her beats for her. And of those, the producers invariably show their true streagnth when working with a competant singer. For instance, miss kitten and the hacker is good, but the hacker by himself or with oxia is amazing.

Couldn't agree with you more.

DJ Becka
17-09-2005, 02:54 AM
Amazing what a little bit of 'fame' does to some people.....I dont care how big one thinks they are, there's no excuse for that kind of behavior-even if they are having a bad day. There are plenty of other people out there that would LOVE to have the same opportunity to travel and play all over the world that dont act in such a disgusting manner :nono:

MARKEG
17-09-2005, 11:14 AM
hold on guys!!

you don't know her!

you're dont know the story behind this!

i really wish ppl would stop doing this. this is the internet!

just leave these stupid things to rumour machines.

no need to pass judgement.

:)

MARKEG
17-09-2005, 11:23 AM
i could write anything right here about miss kitten right now and you'd all be like 'wow, is she really that bad'.

i hate reading posts like this cause it's just so silly to presume.

if you're not at the horse when the horse speaks, then leave the paddock.

my new saying hahaha

:)

RDR
17-09-2005, 11:24 AM
For my part, i can see some truth in this, i have met her last year when i Vj'd for most wanted in leeds. She pretty much snubbed me and those around me and her entourage were really quite snobby.

As for her skillz, she was a good DJ, with a good sense of crowd control and a dynamite box of tunes. She blew up that night for sure. she cant scratch (downer) her beat matching was good, and mixing smooth not deck tricks tho..(downer)

Her music i can personally take or leave.

dan the acid man
17-09-2005, 11:25 AM
yeah, your right, could all be rumours for all we know.
and im no jockey so i'll leave the paddock, eh :doh: :lol:

eyeswithoutaface
17-09-2005, 11:30 AM
well these guys have had a bad experience and i think they should be allowed to inform people what happened, or they could just keep schtum and take the rap for something that wasnt their fault and not warn anyone else what to expect when they book her? ive met her, tried to say hi, walked right past, she pretty much snubbed everyone that night in question and left as soon as she had finished, and she wasnt even that good and Radioactive man played after her, who at the end had a big long chat with us all by the bar about music and what he was up to. thats more like it

Martin Dust
17-09-2005, 01:17 PM
What I find odd is that when you book someone or people go to see someone they think that said booking should be "their" best mate, it's a classic case of One Law For Them and Another for Us. This "ownership" thing is plain odd to me.

Sunil
17-09-2005, 04:14 PM
What I find odd is that when you book someone or people go to see someone they think that said booking should be "their" best mate, it's a classic case of One Law For Them and Another for Us. This "ownership" thing is plain odd to me.

If someone is being booked to play they are being employed to carry out a job. General courtesy should be expected. Celtronic are a reputable bunch of folk, I doubt they'd be making an issue over this if it wasn't called for.

Martin Dust
17-09-2005, 07:17 PM
That's not what I'm saying tho Sunil, read it again mate. Just look at some of the statements and see how out of context they are.

I don't disagree with some of points but can you see what I'm saying...

dan the acid man
17-09-2005, 07:22 PM
That's not what I'm saying tho Sunil, read it again mate. Just look at some of the statements and see how out of context they are.

i can see what your saying, but i want the dj's i see on a night out to bake me a nice cake, its not too much to ask is it :lol: :oops:

Sunil
17-09-2005, 07:55 PM

Yeah, I guess some of the points are drawn out a bit. Maybe they expected a bit more from her alright, although maybe they're just used to a better quality of guest in the manners stakes?

I'll admit, I'm biased. I think little of Miss. Kittin, what she's done or what she offers to the scene in general. She's a self serving egotist, who thinks a lot more of herself than she probably should. I heard her interviewed on the radio the other week and that basically sealed it for me. The girl speaks of herself in the same breath as Richie Hawtin and Sven Vath, and while the industry has pushed her swiftly up the ranks, I'm afraid I don't buy it at all.

Respect to her for getting out there and having some personality, frankly though she is someone that does nothing for me, and I would actually far prefer to hear Shania Twain sing than listen to her.

Martin Dust
17-09-2005, 07:56 PM
I also wouldn't have done this in public either and if they where unhappy why did they pay her? Did they not say anything? Seems a bit odd.

audioinjection
17-09-2005, 08:14 PM
if that story is true, thats some f***** up shit

who wants to put up with that bitching

Martin Dust
17-09-2005, 09:33 PM

Yeah, I guess some of the points are drawn out a bit. Maybe they expected a bit more from her alright, although maybe they're just used to a better quality of guest in the manners stakes?

I'll admit, I'm biased. I think little of Miss. Kittin, what she's done or what she offers to the scene in general. She's a self serving egotist, who thinks a lot more of herself than she probably should. I heard her interviewed on the radio the other week and that basically sealed it for me. The girl speaks of herself in the same breath as Richie Hawtin and Sven Vath, and while the industry has pushed her swiftly up the ranks, I'm afraid I don't buy it at all.

Respect to her for getting out there and having some personality, frankly though she is someone that does nothing for me, and I would actually far prefer to hear Shania Twain sing than listen to her.

I always keep the two things apart, I figure I've no need to like her on a personal level at all, if I like the music all is well - after all, I don't have to work/live with her nor do I have to agree with anything she says or does.

DJ Becka
17-09-2005, 11:20 PM
if that story is true, thats some f***** up shit

who wants to put up with that bitching

Maybe this is why women in the industry have such a hard time....because of women like Miss Kittin.

And to Mark, I realize that there are 2 sides to every story-which I am sure the other side will come out, but comm'on......true or not, do you think it's ok to act in such a bitchy manner regardless? I am actually curious to hear what she has to say about all of this.....

audioinjection
18-09-2005, 01:01 AM
yeah unfortunately thats how the stereotypes begin, because of a small batch of bad seeds messing it up for everyone else

audioinjection
18-09-2005, 01:01 AM
yeah unfortunately thats how the stereotypes begin, because of a small batch of bad seeds messing it up for everyone else

MARKEG
18-09-2005, 01:11 AM
2 Becka - Of course it's not ok to act like this if it's true. Jees, I pride myself on being as down to earth as I can (within this whole madness that is long flights, too much time in the car and the rest of the crap that human nature tells you you must complain about hahahha). No this is definitely not good if this is true.

But my point is, there's always too sides. You think the other side will come out. Well I hope so but more often than not on message boards, the other side doesn't.

Really hope it does though in this case ;)

SlavikSvensk
18-09-2005, 04:29 AM
hello everyone! i am pretty much back now for those who knew i was gone...

...as for this thread...how many of you slagging miss kitten so authoritatively have actually met or spent time with her? i spent a few evenings with her and oliver (a good friend of mine is close to them) several years ago and found her to be a very nice person. maybe it`s a different situation, so a different side of her comes out...i was not there so i don`t know...but based on my personal experience, i can`t just believe that because someone wrote it on the web. maybe some of the details in here were not quite how they are portrayed... I think i would like to hear her side of the story before condemning her or blindly taking the side of internet rumor-mongerers.

Heroes
18-09-2005, 09:45 AM
damn and i thought leibing and bailey had a lot of collabs

francois
18-09-2005, 07:08 PM
yes the internet can be a rumour mongering machine, but in all fairness to the promoters, they have put on lots of gigs with top artists, why should they lie or exaggetate about what occurred? There is nothing in it for them to gain by explaining what they saw as a screw up-. if you are an artist, big or small, you should be happy to do what you do as an artist, ok yu may be pissed off and fed up but as a performer the onus is on you to perform.
I had the same shit with robert hood, who refused to play on a whim.ourselves and club 69 booked him to play and he didnt even bother to get on the bloody plane, jeez at the end of the day you're only playing other people's records, not changing the world

pumpinglemma
18-09-2005, 08:44 PM
I'd say this is true. I used to live in Derry and went to a lot of the deep fried funk/celtronic gigs and have met the guys who run the nights etc. Very doubtful they'd be making this up. Although to be fair, we have not heard the other side of the story so I suppose we should hold back on the judgement call. Thing is I went to see her in Dublin which must been a few days near the Derry gig and the venue there is pretty much an exact copy of the nerve centre in Derry, i.e a rock venue used also for club nights.
Kinda hope its not true tho. I lenjoyed the Dublin gig nevertheless. I rate her as a DJ no matter how uncool it is too that on this forum ;)

pumpinglemma
18-09-2005, 08:46 PM
yes the internet can be a rumour mongering machine, but in all fairness to the promoters, they have put on lots of gigs with top artists, why should they lie or exaggetate about what occurred? There is nothing in it for them to gain by explaining what they saw as a screw up-. if you are an artist, big or small, you should be happy to do what you do as an artist, ok yu may be pissed off and fed up but as a performer the onus is on you to perform.
I had the same shit with robert hood, who refused to play on a whim.ourselves and club 69 booked him to play and he didnt even bother to get on the bloody plane, jeez at the end of the day you're only playing other people's records, not changing the world

I have the flyer for this gig somewhere(blue/silver with aliens face?). Was kicking myself for not going. Didn't know he didnt show so i suppose I missed nothing lol

SlavikSvensk
19-09-2005, 05:34 AM
it has nothing to do with making something up. but it does have to do with perception and portrayal. every story has at least two sides.

francois
19-09-2005, 09:14 AM
I have the flyer for this gig somewhere(blue/silver with aliens face?). Was kicking myself for not going. Didn't know he didnt show so i suppose I missed nothing lol[/quote]

we managed to get Rolando to fill in at the last moment-yep it has that wierd alien head on it

pumpinglemma
19-09-2005, 01:31 PM
it has nothing to do with making something up. but it does have to do with perception and portrayal. every story has at least two sides.

Agreed. But the perception and portrayal dont come across to good in this case do they..?

new
19-09-2005, 01:41 PM
you're right, every story does have two sides. I mean, you can't really complain about someone not being nice to you. She was really just hired to play records not be nice/mean.

The only thing that gets me is that she cut her set short. I mean, what's the deal with that? Not cool at all. If I ever get to the point that I am so bored/unenjoying djing that I don't want to play records, I'll just quit. Or at least take a break.

TechMouse
19-09-2005, 01:43 PM
If I ever get to the point that I am so bored/unenjoying djing that I don't want to play records, I'll just quit. Or at least take a break.
I think I'd certainly make it to the end of my set before I did so, too.

JamieBall
19-09-2005, 05:09 PM
I always keep the two things apart, I figure I've no need to like her on a personal level at all...... nor do I have to agree with anything she says or does.

Says "king sycophant" :evil:

Picks up coat and walks out, sucking teeth LOUD.

MARKEG
19-09-2005, 05:50 PM
have you woken up on the wrong side of bed today matey?? :lol: :lol:

JamieBall
19-09-2005, 06:08 PM
Nah, man, to be honest I'm just saying it how I knows it to be.

There's two sides to every story, fair enough, but I fear both parts of this one read the same.

Am I wrong ?

To your point, though..... I HAVE had a LOT of 'bad days' when I used to have my bed in the centre of the room, it's now next to the wall - so getting out the wrong side is impossible :oops:

However, as you can probably tell, it's not made too much difference :twisted: - Now I just don't know whether or not I'd have got out on the wrong side on any particular day.

I also recently changed from a King Divan to a futon style thing. Which blows. Big time.

As with most things in my life, my sleeping arrangements are a work in progress.

Martin Dust
19-09-2005, 07:39 PM
I always keep the two things apart, I figure I've no need to like her on a personal level at all...... nor do I have to agree with anything she says or does.

Says "king sycophant" :evil:

Picks up coat and walks out, sucking teeth LOUD.

Jamie, mate, you've left your handbag :twisted:

MARKEG
19-09-2005, 08:08 PM
look, i'll get my handbag out in a minute

http://handbag.tamsquare.com/admin/img/LAIJ0082MPINK_small.jpg

:dance: :dance: :dance:

JamieBall
19-09-2005, 08:36 PM
Jamie, mate, you've left your handbag :twisted:

Yeah, I know. It's like the first scene off of the untouchables. ;)

giggle

JamieBall
19-09-2005, 08:38 PM
I've got a nice picture of a great handbag with a sweet 'J' embossed on it, black fluff trim. MMMMM. Sadly I'm unable to work the image insert thing, or it won't let me link. BAH.

Martin Dust
19-09-2005, 10:19 PM
hehehe Is Ste Bass round yours and is he using your login <mmmmmm>

Traxx
19-09-2005, 10:22 PM
Not seen Ste for a while if its the one im thinking of.

Ritzi Lee
20-09-2005, 10:31 AM
I really can't believe my eyes about everybody over here having a judgement allready. Are ya all people of the music business or not??? We all know how these things come around.. Rumours rumours rumours...

Who will tell the truth? Who has the most credibility in the scene?
Is that what it's all about?

I just want to say it's easy to judge someone without thinking ahaed by just reading an amusing story about a certain person. And I can't believe most of the people over here don't understand this. :doh:

RDR
20-09-2005, 10:36 AM
WHY DONT YOU CHECK HER WEBSITE? oops, caps..

she has made similar statements about this sort of thing before..IF memory serves...

SlavikSvensk
20-09-2005, 01:37 PM
I really can't believe my eyes about everybody over here having a judgement allready. Are ya all people of the music business or not??? We all know how these things come around.. Rumours rumours rumours...

Who will tell the truth? Who has the most credibility in the scene?
Is that what it's all about?

I just want to say it's easy to judge someone without thinking ahaed by just reading an amusing story about a certain person. And I can't believe most of the people over here don't understand this. :doh:

WORD.

soma
26-09-2005, 06:29 PM
i reckon those berlin guys have a thing about coming over here.

I had a moan in the electro forum a while back when i saw miss kittin play at "the end" and she didnt even bother to mix. But gave her the benefit of the doubt that time. My mate saw her at sonar and said she was f**kin amazing.

Old DJ Hell has a sneaky habit of saying that he's ill and not turning up.

shame, i do really like the music they play, but People do get tired when you're jet setting.

the hacker always turns up though. Real friendly guy too. :clap:

278d7e64a374de26f==