PDA

View Full Version : Fabric - Bad. Discuss...

Jay Pace
18-09-2005, 10:32 PM
Nice club. Decent soundsystem in room 1. Good line ups.

Crowd are appalling.

Saw Hawtin last night, and whilst we all had a cracking night too many people were being just plain unpleasant.

Tourists constantly grabbing at girls (does that EVER work?), people getting hugely offended because you brushed past them or god forbid stood on someone's foot. Full of drunken drop in crowd. Rubbish.

Left-over relic of happier and more commercially successful times? I've not been there in a few years, and was tempted by the lineup. But a club with no atmosphere seems a little pointless IMO.

dan the acid man
19-09-2005, 12:39 AM
yeah, a bad atmosphere can spoil a good line up, sometimes you can switch off an still enjoy yourself, but if you feel like your constantly having to watch over your shoulder, its hard to do this

oldbugger
19-09-2005, 06:44 AM
i was there too.

had a great night. was only interested in hawtin and nothing was going to spoil it. brilliant set. more and more plastikman influences every time lately. great stuff.

fabric is too big as a club. its wierd. people go there just coz its fabric.. and arnt really interested in who's playing, half the people i spoke to in there didnt even know who richie hawtin was :doh:

really enjoyed slam too upstairs :cool:

shame fabric is in london. would be a great club if it was up here :lol:

Subuteo
19-09-2005, 10:22 PM
Yeah, me and my mate were there n'all.

I sort of expect Fabric to be full of tourists but they get some really good dj's/artists there so I put up with it now and again, but the amount of dodgy foreign lads hassling us on Friday was shcoking. Why do they all do that dance in front of you where it looks like they're drying their back with a towel?! They don't ever go away either they continue following you round doing it. We decided that we weren't gonna let it put us off our night and started laughing blatantly at anyone who did it - that usually got rid of them! ;)

Really enjoyed Richie's set. First time i've ever stayed at Fabric to the end, it's a lot better when it's cleared out a bit and the serious music heads are left. Apparently they were gonna continue it in room 3, not sure if this happened or not ?!

Next time I go will prob be for the Birthday bash - Luke Slater, Green Velvet, Anthony Rother. Usually keeps going till past 10am too.

debz

MARKEG
20-09-2005, 12:13 AM
it's a lot better when it's cleared out a bit and the serious music heads are left.

isnt this always the way??!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

BRADLEE
20-09-2005, 12:59 AM
Is this the place with a few levels? used to be a an old train station or something???

The Overfiend
20-09-2005, 02:11 AM
Tourists constantly grabbing at girls (does that EVER work?), people getting hugely offended because you brushed past them or god forbid stood on someone's foot. Full of drunken drop in crowd. Rubbish.

Welcome to any given club in the states.
That's normal.

Internal Error Records
20-09-2005, 03:10 AM
much love to all of us,,,, but try not to get deluted. 99 out of 100 clubs are just clubs. normal human clubs. regardless of a line up.

i must admit, when i go out to party i go out to raise ruckus. not just stand there like a drone plugged into a usb cable getting my download.

if a girl is having the techno and looks appealing. im going to go introduce myself. and my behaviour around the girls i am buddies with could very easily look offensive to the people that dont know us.

its a club my friends. ignore the butt munches, love the music, love the ladies. and wake up in the morning not clear how you spent the night.

[then get to work on your tunes]

Jay Pace
20-09-2005, 01:34 PM
if a girl is having the techno and looks appealing. im going to go introduce myself. and my behaviour around the girls i am buddies with could very easily look offensive to the people that dont know us.

Fair play mate, I'm not suggesting that all forms of sharking be banned from the dance floor.

But having some Italian tourist grabbing at my mate for 20 minutes gets tiresome. She spends 20 minutes doging him, and its difficult to relax when dicks like that are in your face the whole time.

We got fed up in the end and blocked every attempt he made at trying to get at her. Eventually after he just started to try and push his way past so we shoved him a few times and told him to f*ck off. And then the poor wee lamb looked really offended, and started trying to molest some other girl.

Hawtin was ace though. And the system in Room 1 properly did him justice. Just rocking, first time I stayed right to the end as well. It does get a hell of lot better when the drunken eejits make their sorry way home. I was glad he didn't start til 3.30...

Its weird though - Lost parties have a worse venue, a lamentable soundsystem and pretty uninspired lineups, but they remain my favourite parties in the UK.
The crowd are just spot on, and the atmosphere makes all the difference.

There aren't enough good techno parties in london.

TechMouse
20-09-2005, 03:13 PM
She spends 20 minutes doging him
That's encouragement surely...

... unless you meant "dodging".

Jay Pace
20-09-2005, 07:35 PM
She spends 20 minutes doging him
That's encouragement surely...

... unless you meant "dodging".

Hmmm.

She does give off mixed signals....

Subuteo
20-09-2005, 09:17 PM
it's a lot better when it's cleared out a bit and the serious music heads are left.

isnt this always the way??!!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yep! But in Fabrics case you notice it a hell of a lot more. I rekon they should allow half price entry after 3am when all the tourists have buggared off!

pumpinglemma
20-09-2005, 11:42 PM
I'd like to go if I was in London again. Just cos they seem to get good techno lineups and its supposed to be so huge. Never been in a huge club the size of that by the sounds of it. Although would I be welcome cos i'm a tourist.
Promise i wont do the washing my back with a towel dance :lol:

The Divide
21-09-2005, 12:56 AM
I went about 2 month ago, didnt arrive till about 1.30 and had really good night considering I was out the night before and was a bit run down. I couldn't believe the sheer size of the place. I only went because one of my mates at work goes on about it all the time and didn't really know I was going to a 3,000 (?) capacity venue

I know what you mean about the atmosphere tho, I was really taken back by this and put it down the minimal music. Wasn't enough crazy heads for my liking, still awesome sound system and venue made up for it

dtl
26-09-2005, 03:49 AM
Must argee with those guys from US, I was at Limelight catching Chris Liebing 5 hours set, half the dancerfloor were covered by Chinese mobs, fools dancing on mini stages and fall over before the barely covered dancers push them out and take 2 dallors every 20 despreate soul hoping they might just go full monty.

Had to wait til 6 am for the floor to clear out and had a reeeeeet dance.

Eric.

DJ Becka
26-09-2005, 08:22 AM
Must argee with those guys from US, I was at Limelight catching Chris Liebing 5 hours set, half the dancerfloor were covered by Chinese mobs, fools dancing on mini stages and fall over before the barely covered dancers push them out and take 2 dallors every 20 despreate soul hoping they might just go full monty.

Had to wait til 6 am for the floor to clear out and had a reeeeeet dance.

Eric.

Limelight is now called Avalon (which I affectionately call 'Grope-alon')....and I hate hate HATE that club with a passion. Every single time I've been there, I've gotten grabbed....I finally stopped caring and would punch anyone who dared touch me. Thank god the management from there went over to Spirit (the old Twilo space), so now all of the techno nights that Avalon used to do wound up over there. I believe Richie Hawtin is playing there in 2 weeks, then Liebing and Speedy J are going to be there either sometime in October, or early November. My only complaints about Spirit are that god aweful hiphop area when you first walk in.....and the sound system-decent enough-but not anywhere near the quality of sound that was there during the Twilo days *sigh*

Oh, and I've been to Fabric once.....wasnt too bad, but I did notice that the men were a bit more agressive than a lot of other places I've been too-still doesnt top Avalon though - and I will never understand why they do what they do....like do you automatically assume that if you grab me, I'm going to go home with you? :nono: :lol:

The Overfiend
26-09-2005, 09:20 AM
Holla Back shorty yo yo yo!
You mean that doesnt work????????
lol

dtl
26-09-2005, 03:19 PM
Yeah. Avalon it was, that Chris Liebing set was in Janaury this year, there wasnt any guy trying to grab me tho.

schlager
29-09-2005, 02:50 PM
fabric is too big as a club. its wierd. people go there just coz its fabric.. and arnt really interested in who's playing, half the people i spoke to in there didnt even know who richie hawtin was :doh:

It seems that nothing ever changes ... Two years ago, my girlfriend and myself went to see hawtin v. villalobos in the fabric. The crowd was just horrible: being from the continent, I'm just not used to wait for two hours to get in the club, but since i'm not in london every weekend, i thought what the heck, hawtin and villalobos must draw the crowd. but when i started talking to others, they just didn't have a clue about the line-up - asked what the f++k are they doing there, waiting in bitter cold (it was the end of november), they just smiled and said: "don't you know, it is THE fabric!" Once inside, the things just got worse - drunken spaniards and italians stepping on your feet and pushing you around all the time. Hardly anybody appreciated what ricardo and hawtin were doing and i had problems appreciating it too, because there was always someone scratching my back or squeezing my balls. A really nasty experience ...

278d7e64a374de26f==