PDA

View Full Version : most technically brilliant dj

MARKEG
20-09-2005, 10:57 AM
i remember seeing/hearing/experiencing mills for the first time once at tribal gathering and my jaw litterally hit that floor when i heard what he was doing with those records. i think i can still recall every mix (yup, all 600 of them) that set influenced me so much.

even after hearing about 600 more sets from him, no matter how many times i hear the records go out of time, i still think he is technically gifted.

who else out there bowls you over when you see them???

The Overfiend
20-09-2005, 10:57 AM
Ben Sims

Mucky Beats
20-09-2005, 11:41 AM
For me i reckon its a close call between ben sims, i aint seen him since like 2000.but i remember him doing crazy stuff!
and
Dave Clarke Seen him like 10 times only time i didnt enjoy it to the max was creamfields...not his fault they turned the rig right down!

the best i have seen over the last year has to be Dave the Drummer in coalville he was avit with every mix!

TechMouse
20-09-2005, 11:44 AM
I was pretty impressed with Bam Bam, from a point of view of general tightness plus turntablism.

Traxx
20-09-2005, 11:57 AM
Sims is the best dj about technically by a good way.

The Teknoist.
20-09-2005, 12:03 PM
1st time i saw Lukus Producer at Steam. He blew me away and since then hes probably my favourite dj to actualy watch.

As for shear brilliance in set struture and diversity throughout a set, iv gotta say Dolphin.

Theres another guy from Addict records called Baseck. 4 turntables and a bag of rekkids with shit from Radioheads Kid A to Venetian Snares' remix of Skelechairs and beyond all toyed with perfectly:

Baseck set: http://c8.ameth.org/mixes/Baseck_Darkmatter%20Soundsystem_Cassette_10-19-01.mp3

Baseck Videos:
http://datafake02.free.fr/baseck2.mov
http://datafake03.free.fr/baseck3.mov

Neither of these are techno djs (well apart from Luke at times and he is pretty brilliant then).

Iv not seen a huge amount of regular techno djs so i couldnt really comment with much weight in my argument.

JohnnySideways
20-09-2005, 12:12 PM
yep..seconded.Dj Producer any day.His mixin is so quick and tight coupled with wicked deck skills-sctratches,juggles etc
Whether techno or hardkore...he tha maaaannn :cool:

TripleX
20-09-2005, 12:13 PM
ben sims and cristian varela

man_d
20-09-2005, 12:27 PM
Misjah.

But I would say that because I'm a girlie fan.

tocsin
20-09-2005, 12:34 PM
Theres another guy from Addict records called Baseck. 4 turntables and a bag of rekkids with shit from Radioheads Kid A to Venetian Snares' remix of Skelechairs and beyond all toyed with perfectly:

Baseck is one of the US's best kept secrets. A shame too. The kid is ****ing incredible.

kai
20-09-2005, 12:46 PM
Definately agree with the mentions for Mills, Clarke, Greg Dolphin (especially when doing his Appleton live + 2 decks Ninja Columbo breakcore set) and Producer.

Also have to say Oscar Mulero really impressed me when I saw him. Also Surgeon, and for an up n coming DJ, I really rate Distek.

The Teknoist.
20-09-2005, 12:50 PM
Definately agree with the mentions for Mills, Clarke, Greg Dolphin (especially when doing his Appleton live + 2 decks Ninja Columbo breakcore set) and Producer.

Also have to say Oscar Mulero really impressed me when I saw him. Also Surgeon, and for an up n coming DJ, I really rate Distek.

yeah thats what i meant when mentioning Greg :) Hes tied down sometimes at more mainstream raves as is Lukus. They both shine in more open minded nights though

kai
20-09-2005, 12:54 PM
Also - Miss Djax is my new personal techno heroine - proper vixen behind the decks and ****ing class DJ.

fresh_an_funky_design
20-09-2005, 01:07 PM
k.

I saw dolphin and producer do there live + decks thing at 'The Clinic' in North Wales and is quite possibly the worst thing ive ever heard come out of speakers in my life. It was like they had no knowledge of the word 'gain', everything was redlining; mixer, soudcard, laptop etc. , there where random uncompressed noises firing out of the soundsytem that were painfull and probably quite dangerous. When Dave the Drummer played afterwards the rig was completetly ****ed!! I've heard from a lot of people that there quite good at what they do, but this is the only time i've seen them and looked like amateurs who didnt have a clue, and it sounded crap.

kai
20-09-2005, 01:10 PM
I spoke to them during that set mate - system was well ****ed before they came on and they ended up replacing the mixer all together. Don't be put off by that set, it really is some damn good shit!

The Teknoist.
20-09-2005, 01:16 PM
as i said, i wouldnt comment on a dj if id only seen them once because iv seen Jeff Mills once and thought he was aweful (shoot me down).. galloping everywhere but iv heard him play good sets and iv learned over the years to not judge a dj by one performance. Different elements effect a dj on a night.. including a bad rig, troubles at home etc.

Its a shame you saw them like that.. id advise you to see them again though.

pumpinglemma
20-09-2005, 01:22 PM
I'd go for the following:
Jeff Mills. I love the lash it in style he does.
Dave Clarke is also ridiculous on the dex when on form.
Richie Hawtin, more for his innovation with efx, loops, final scratch etc rather then real time skills. He always seems to the be the first introducing the new technologies.
Like the old plus 8 rekkids used to say:
"Often imitated but never equaled" ;)

killarava2day
20-09-2005, 01:25 PM
Misjah's pretty much spot on most of the time.

massplanck
20-09-2005, 01:30 PM
Jerome Hill.

Nuff said.

ReakZ
20-09-2005, 02:05 PM
grovskopa ! & detroit" from latvia both very talented in mixing :clap:

FIK
20-09-2005, 02:08 PM
Mulero and Mills for me

mr burns
20-09-2005, 02:21 PM
dave the drummer

tekboi
20-09-2005, 02:23 PM
Ben Sims, he is the man who got me into techno.

But in the end there are so many technically brilliant DJ's out there anyway, its too hard to pick them out: Misjah, Beyer, Varela, Deetron and more.

schlongfingers
20-09-2005, 02:50 PM
Yep Jerome Hill, 100%

Bam Bam mix does sound good, he's next in line imho - very tight.

gumpy green
20-09-2005, 02:56 PM
too many good djs...

all round good djs- noise, shorkut, babu.

techno- id say myself, as i kick all yer arses ;), (http://www.diversefrequencies.co.uk/mp3/sekonz_live_at_jakn_270805.mp3)

The Teknoist.
20-09-2005, 02:59 PM
too many good djs...

techno- id say myself, as i kick all yer arses ;), (http://www.diversefrequencies.co.uk/mp3/sekonz_live_at_jakn_270805.mp3)

yeah i could mention a heap of turntablists but i tried to stick to techno based jocks.

stjohn
20-09-2005, 03:10 PM
too many good djs...

thats only coz you have a giant ice cream cone!

Jay Sanders
20-09-2005, 03:46 PM
Critsian Varela, Oliver Ho and i actually think Carl cox.... just coz he beams behind the decks aswell!!

fresh_an_funky_design
20-09-2005, 04:13 PM
I spoke to them during that set mate - system was well **** before they came on and they ended up replacing the mixer all together. Don't be put off by that set, it really is some damn good shit!

i hear what your saying, but what about all the random noises that were firing out and nearly blowing your ear drums out, and the rig sounded a lot better as soon as henry got on. Im not gonna judge em on one set though so dont worry!

JohnnySideways
20-09-2005, 04:14 PM
Also Surgeon,

yEH man...saw him yrs ago at what used to be The Riverside in Newcastle...****in wicked skills...choppin about wiv two copies of records etc
how could i forget :cool:

The Teknoist.
20-09-2005, 04:15 PM
I spoke to them during that set mate - system was well **** before they came on and they ended up replacing the mixer all together. Don't be put off by that set, it really is some damn good shit!

i hear what your saying, but what about all the random noises that were firing out and nearly blowing your ear drums out, and the rig sounded a lot better as soon as henry got on. Im not gonna judge em on one set though so dont worry!

yeah man, thats probably Greg.. its experimenting dude. i dont think they were playing regular techno were they? I love the 'random' noises that do that. Different tastes tho i guess :)

kai
20-09-2005, 04:18 PM
EZ Mr Sideways - hows tricks my man? You still banging out your HardTek filth round the free parties?

fresh_an_funky_design
20-09-2005, 04:22 PM

yeah man, thats probably Greg.. its experimenting dude. i dont think they were playing regular techno were they? I love the 'random' noises that do that. Different tastes tho i guess :)

yeah definetly different tastes! nah those noises wern't experimenting if they were done on a decent rig you would of gone deaf. anyway think we should let this subject lie! otherwise i'll be coming up to huddersfield and slapping you with a wet haddock :lol:

The Teknoist.
20-09-2005, 04:23 PM

yeah definetly different tastes! nah those noises wern't experimenting if they were done on a decent rig you would of gone deaf. anyway think we should let this subject lie! otherwise i'll be coming up to huddersfield and slapping you with a wet haddock :lol:

im from Manchester mate :) :p

JohnnySideways
20-09-2005, 04:26 PM
EZ Mr Sideways - hows tricks my man? You still banging out your HardTek filth round the free parties?

Aye...Bradford multirigger this wkend...pm me if ya want

Buttman
20-09-2005, 04:54 PM
Muleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeero, Muleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeero.

Buttman
20-09-2005, 04:54 PM
Marco Carola is very technical as well.. But plays pop so maybe he does not count?

kai
20-09-2005, 05:05 PM

im from Manchester mate :) :p

Ah, but I'm from Huddersfield! :shock: Wet haddocks? Surely not!

fresh_an_funky_design
20-09-2005, 06:09 PM
dont underestimate the power of a wet fish!

Rudi Schmulten
20-09-2005, 06:12 PM
Hello friends

Rudi here!

Expect some mixes from me in the months to come!

conflict
20-09-2005, 06:25 PM
ben sims
umek
ruskin

The Teknoist.
20-09-2005, 06:27 PM
ben sims
umek
ruskin

Umek! yeah for sure up there

stjohn
20-09-2005, 06:28 PM
Hello friends

Rudi here!

can we vote you 'top DJ to top the the top 100 DJs in the world in this century, EVER'?

Dustin Zahn
20-09-2005, 06:29 PM
Ben Sims has the proverbial skills to pay the bills. I'm not always keen on his music selection but his fast and chopped up style mixing compliments the tracks he plays very well. Did anyone ever hear his Chill FM set? That's some sick acid house and old school techno.

Marco Carola. Amazing technique, always super smooth. Like Sims, I appreciate a good amount of what he plays but am not always connecting with the music. Style, a class DJ. Kind of rude in person though it seems.

Richie Hawtin. The first DE9 basically changed my whole perspective on mixing. I'm not really into what he is doing these days all that much, but there is no doubt he is always pushing the envelope for trying new things and pushing new boundaries.

Grovskopa and Luka Baumann. When it comes to that dark, purist, no-compromise industrial techno they're number one. They seem to put more care, love, and faith into the stuff they play than most other DJs I know.

Surgeon. He's the industrial master. With diverse track selections he proves that being dark and funky takes so much more than throwing a pad behind an industrial breakbeat.

Sam Horam. Digging your style. ;)

Rudi Schmulten
20-09-2005, 06:32 PM
Hello friends

Rudi here!

can we vote you 'top DJ to top the the top 100 DJs in the world in this century, EVER'?

I am no need of 'vote' as my skills stands for themself.

however you find the time in your busy time i would me most pleased to recieve.. how you say? A halping hond.

stjohn
20-09-2005, 06:36 PM
no one has mentioned Hardcell.....

i thought he was pretty impeccible on 3 decks!!

BloodStar
20-09-2005, 06:38 PM
Sims, Skoog, Beyer..

RDR
20-09-2005, 06:41 PM
Also - Miss Djax is my new personal techno heroine - proper vixen behind the decks and **** class DJ.

and so pretty too!

:twisted: :lol:

kai
20-09-2005, 07:09 PM
Also - Miss Djax is my new personal techno heroine - proper vixen behind the decks and **** class DJ.

and so pretty too!

:twisted: :lol:

... but of course that has nothing to do with me rating her so highly! ;)

kai
20-09-2005, 07:12 PM
ben sims
umek
ruskin

Umek! yeah for sure up there

A couple of years ago he'd have been one of the first names I mentioned, but really gone off the tunes he's playing and producing over last two years. In terms of technical ability though I guess I'd have to agree.

Agent Orange NYC
20-09-2005, 08:05 PM
In no order:

Hawtin
Carola
Cox
Sims
Stacey Pullen I always enjoy

Agent Orange NYC
20-09-2005, 08:05 PM
In no order:

Hawtin
Carola
Cox
Sims
Kanzyani can really rip it too
Stacey Pullen I always enjoy

Frank Dogshit
20-09-2005, 08:34 PM
Sims
D'Wachman

Frank Dogshit
20-09-2005, 08:36 PM
not forgetting inigo aswell,every time ive seen him hes torn me to shreds.
proper smooth.

stjohn
20-09-2005, 08:48 PM
not forgetting inigo aswell,every time ive seen him hes torn me to shreds.
proper smooth.

sh*t ye... i was very impressed by him too!

Aratron
20-09-2005, 11:54 PM
Dave / Ron Atomizer / Metadog - Mobile Dogwash

Jay Pace
21-09-2005, 10:54 AM
Hawtin - just has his own style, no other dj sounds like him in terms of the sound he puts out. Love the way he uses EQ. And he always makes a sound system sing.

Jeff Mills - pacey, slopp, and an energy and sense of adventure that is second to none. The occasional trainwreck, but he always pushes himself where other people play it safe. And when it all goes right there is nothing better.

Jerome Hill - Never heard anyone do what he does with techno before. Just inspired, innovative sets that skitter all over the place. The only dj to make effective use of scratching in techno IMO.[/b]

RDR
21-09-2005, 11:34 AM
Jeff Mills - pacey, slopp, and an energy and sense of adventure that is second to none. The occasional trainwreck, but he always pushes himself where other people play it safe. And when it all goes right there is nothing better.

:clap:

I dont give a shit about the mans mistakes, in fact i would go so far as to say he deliberately does them. He makes the same 'mistakes' again and again in nearly the same places - a man of that talent doesnt do it without a reason.

RDR
21-09-2005, 11:34 AM
PS- sorry for starting on the Jeff Mills thread thing...nuff said.

ampassasinbirmingham
21-09-2005, 03:09 PM
DJ BONE

djfurness
21-09-2005, 06:31 PM
Jerome Hill for me as well....immensely good

MITA
22-09-2005, 02:02 PM
Charles Siegling
Richie Hawtin
Tomas Crome
Cari Lekebusch
Marko Nastic
Dj Murphy
Space Djz

.. first on my mind

basslinejunkie
22-09-2005, 02:26 PM
well the dj's whos been the best teqnically (that ive seen live) is marco carolla and cox.

but others who blow every1 else out the water for me are ruskin,mulero an kennedy.

kai
23-09-2005, 09:49 AM
Charles Siegling
Richie Hawtin
Tomas Crome
Cari Lekebusch
Marko Nastic
Dj Murphy
Space Djz

.. first on my mind

Yes - Cari Lekebusch! He was ****ing class when I saw him at Darkside.

slimboy
23-09-2005, 01:44 PM
Ben Sims
James Ruskin
Charles Siegling

serox
23-09-2005, 01:45 PM
is this your favourite DJ list? im sure that has been and gone already in some mag.

anyway,
Bad Boy Bill was hot with tricks n shit back in the day.
Frankie Bones’s mix’s are very tight at the moment. (smoother than any1 else i have heard/seen)
Now days I don’t really see anything that impressive any more.

last times i have seen Dave Clarke, Jeff Mils, there mixing was terrible. its a running joke about how bad Jeff mills is at mixing. his set gets worse the longer he is on.

10 yrs ago, they were hot, now, snot. even still, bad boy bill was better back then i think.

Agent Orange NYC
23-09-2005, 02:16 PM
anyway,
Frankie Bones’s mix’s are very tight at the moment. (smoother than any1 else i have heard/seen)

Been living in a bubble these days?

nick_anarchy
23-09-2005, 02:47 PM
Jerome Hill for me as well....immensely good

he took the piss @ compressed ****in class dj

acidpisar
23-09-2005, 03:44 PM
Jerome Hill and Dave the Drummer :clap:

serox
23-09-2005, 04:01 PM

i am really not feeling the record jerome hill plays ever:( sorry man!

serox
23-09-2005, 04:04 PM
anyway,

oh? from NYC and you do not agree? explain why not please:)

schlongfingers
23-09-2005, 04:08 PM

Hehe cool, but he's about as diverse in the music he plays as it's possible to be so you're wiping out a massive amount of records there. Each to their own though.

gumpy green
23-09-2005, 04:09 PM
can i just ask whats so tecnical about beatmatching????all yer doing is let a record sit in time with anuther then blend em in and out.

thers a good few djs metioned here that only do this.....

i think i may have to do a short video to show sum "getting" technical shit.

acidpisar
23-09-2005, 04:10 PM
i'm also not a big fan of records he plays but the topic is about best technican dj (not music they play).

btw when i was last time in london jerome play at 5 or 6 am and i have to say he saved the party and played really nice stuff! all the rest played terrible and the party was a nightmare...

DJ Becka
23-09-2005, 04:10 PM
anyway,

Just because people are from NYC doesnt mean that they have to like Bones....I know I dont care for him as a dj really-never did....always thought his brother Adam had way more talent behind the decks - and Frankie is not the end all be all of NYC djs ;)

I will say this though....Bones knows A LOT about music.....ask him just about anything and he'll know the answer......

gumpy green
23-09-2005, 04:13 PM
I will say this though....Bones knows A LOT about music.....ask him just about anything and he'll know the answer......

ask him whats the best shranz track is....lol

DJ Becka
23-09-2005, 05:07 PM

ask him whats the best shranz track is....lol

Hmmm....then again.....maybe he doesnt know everything ;) :lol:

Agent Orange NYC
23-09-2005, 05:10 PM
anyway,

I think if you don't really see anything impressive (technically) these days you are not looking. The gear available to DJ's at the moment is absolutly amazing and there are alot of them out there taking advantage of that.

Even one's coming through NY, like Hawtin and Liebing. Maybe Hawtin doesn't play my favorite records anymore, but this thread is about Technical, and its brilliant to watch him, or Liebing play. And if you wanna talk house, Derrick Carter was at Spirit last weekend playing house on 3 decks like nobodies business.

Frankie Bones is a good DJ. He is not a very technical dj anymore, there was a time when he was but i havent seen him play on anything more than 2 decks with simple mixing in a VERY long time. What Hawtin does live and what Frankie Bones does live is 2 completely different planets.

serox
23-09-2005, 05:23 PM
Each to there own I guess.
I like the way bones mixes records more than many, I also like what he playin too, which is rare.
If I want to see DJ’s with skills I look at hip-hop DJ’s cos they piss all over any Techno DJ.
I have always thought leave the scratching and the tricks to hip-hop. Techno mixing was neevr about that to me. You might think it is boring, but not people can mix that perfect and tight every time.
I would rather see jeff mills take a bit more time and mix recordso I am left think, when did he start bringing the record in?! he slams records in n out and you have things stopping n starting at different times.

Anyway, I suck, lets keep tp the topic, i dont want another thread of bashing others who are not even here.

SlavikSvensk
23-09-2005, 06:12 PM
i really don't care if a dj has technical skills unless they are playing good music. like serox sez, if you just want technical skills, go listen to someone like qbert. great techno djs are located where musicality and skills collide...

DJ Becka
23-09-2005, 06:48 PM
If I want to see DJ’s with skills I look at hip-hop DJ’s cos they piss all over any Techno DJ.
I have always thought leave the scratching and the tricks to hip-hop. Techno mixing was neevr about that to me. .

Try telling that to Ben Sims.....I think he's a great dj technically.....especially his set at the Fuse-in festival.....he was playing on 3 decks, 2 cd decks, cutting and scratching.....and then he did it again at the Tronic after party......simply brilliant! :clap:

g
23-09-2005, 06:51 PM
one of the last times i saw sims he comes on for his slot, last dj's record is still playing. ben quickly pitches & scratches in 1, 2, then 3 records. once they're all going i realize he hasn't put on his headphones yet.

stjohn
23-09-2005, 07:02 PM

same as myself..... but the way he mixes them makes them sound good!!

mattboyslim
23-09-2005, 07:46 PM
[quote="serox"]
quote]i disagree. if you have the skills why not apply it to the music you love especially of you can do it well, and even if you can;t then full marks for trying. techno has always been about pushing new boundaries so why would you want someone to mix the last few bars into the first few bars? yawn tastic

Sunil
23-09-2005, 07:48 PM
Just because people are from NYC doesnt mean that they have to like Bones....I know I dont care for him as a dj really-never did...

Ah but they do!
He's the daddy ;)

There's few well known DJs who I'd still like to see, and Bones is one of them. Adam X too.

Sunil
23-09-2005, 08:06 PM
Even one's coming through NY, like Hawtin and Liebing. Maybe Hawtin doesn't play my favorite records anymore, but this thread is about Technical, and its brilliant to watch him, or Liebing play. And if you wanna talk house, Derrick Carter was at Spirit last weekend playing house on 3 decks like nobodies business.

Liebing has a lot of energy in his sets and puts them together well. His sets lack imagination and depth though, he doesn't vary what he plays at all. All that gear, all those possibilities, and such a one dimensional vision towards techno.

Technically Sims is right up there alright. Played with him during the summer, it was my 1st time to see him play a full set, and I was impressed. Wasn't feeling all the music, but his technique was excellent. A finely tuned, well oiled machine is Ben Sims.

I listen to very few techno mixes at all, although one that sounded great was that 2 part Superconductor mix by Paula Temple. It was varied, made good use of software and decks, and displayed a good range of mixing skills on her part. I think that's a few years old now?

Traxx
23-09-2005, 08:17 PM
Yup i was there for that, was a fukin quality set. First & only time ive seen her.

Traxx
23-09-2005, 08:17 PM
2-3 years ago, memories frazzled :crackup:

Louis Theroux
24-09-2005, 01:34 AM
the DJ Murphy sets I have been getting from here have been the most impressive for a long time

Zektor
24-09-2005, 01:52 AM
DJ BONE

Totally agree!!

+ Ben Sims, Jeff Mills and Paul Mac.

:cool:

DJ Becka
24-09-2005, 02:48 AM
Just because people are from NYC doesnt mean that they have to like Bones....I know I dont care for him as a dj really-never did...

Ah but they do!
He's the daddy ;)

There's few well known DJs who I'd still like to see, and Bones is one of them. Adam X too.

Actually, I live in NYC and I can safely tell you that not everyone from NYC likes Bones.....and again, his brother-Adam, is still the better dj ;)

S/E
24-09-2005, 03:05 AM
Ben Sims is the man.

He can kill it on three decks!

conflict
24-09-2005, 11:49 AM
the DJ Murphy sets I have been getting from here have been the most impressive for a long time

i think he over eggs the pudding if you know what i mean

tioneb
24-09-2005, 06:01 PM
To me a "skilled" dj is guy pushing the runtables to the extreme limits, like the DMC dudes... So it has nothing to do with techno most of the time.

I just think we have gone over the step of how many records and how fast records a dj can beatmatch at the same time .... I think people like Sims, Carola and Beyer are the most tight on the three (or more) decks.

But whats the point ???? Mils and Bone (and many others) have been more interesting becasue they dare much more tricks and use the turntables as real instruments. Beatmatching has just become pointless, softwares can do that and allow to concentrate more on the musical selection.

Though the lack of tightness thewe last days, Mills stays my hero, probably just becasue he does new tricks avery day ! A lot of others can probably do best but have just copied the initiator (that could also apply to the production hehe)

Tiddlypeep
25-09-2005, 09:40 PM
can i just ask whats so tecnical about beatmatching????all yer doing is let a record sit in time with anuther then blend em in and out.

thers a good few djs metioned here that only do this.....

i think i may have to do a short video to show sum "getting" technical shit.

Most DJ's mentioned don't have an overinflated Ego either... ;)

Will :)

davethedrummer
25-09-2005, 10:44 PM

haha , didn't know you were a cake fan

conflict
25-09-2005, 10:45 PM

haha , didn't know you were a cake fan

ooh i love a bit o'cake

cunt

dan the acid man
25-09-2005, 11:11 PM
just remember, cake is a made up drug, just say no

conflict
25-09-2005, 11:14 PM
ohh i love da cake

conflict
25-09-2005, 11:14 PM
and i'm looking forward to work tm

dan the acid man
25-09-2005, 11:17 PM
i bet you are :lol: :mashed:

Zektor
25-09-2005, 11:29 PM
oh wait a minute...

charles siegling ( Technasia ) must be the most underrated DJ ever.

i totally forgot to mention that dude.

He's always juggling with his records...so cool. Hahaha.

:dance:

conflict
25-09-2005, 11:31 PM
oh wait a minute...

charles siegling ( Technasia ) must be the most underrated DJ ever.

i totally forgot to mention that dude.

He's always juggling with his records...so cool. Hahaha.

:dance:

good call mate

samba
26-09-2005, 05:04 AM
Yeah Siegling for sure..

I also love Preach's technical abilities.

And Sims goes without saying..

Electric City
26-09-2005, 10:53 AM
Surprised nobody has mentioned Deetron, Christian Smith and Claude Young yet? All three have more tricks than a magician's convention in Blackpool!

Traxx
26-09-2005, 11:08 AM
Claude young for sure, not seen deetron for years & years. Last time i heard CS at homelands i think it was he wasnt doing any tricks? maybe a off day. :lol:

crazyxray
26-09-2005, 01:04 PM
richie hawtin is great.
bad boy bill also.

new
26-09-2005, 01:11 PM
I'd say Dave Clark was one of the best, but I dont hear too much turntablim or anything recently.

Marco G is an awesome dj. The whole genre of ghetto tech is full of awesome djs too. Like DJ Godfather.

oldbugger
26-09-2005, 01:15 PM
yeah deetron is amazing. still pretty shit compared to all these hip hop dj's though. put dave clarke in a dmc comp and he would get laughed at so hard.

crazyxray
26-09-2005, 01:35 PM
yeah deetron is amazing. still pretty shit compared to all these hip hop dj's though. put dave clarke in a dmc comp and he would get laughed at so hard.

yea, but the kind of dmc djs are totally different to "techno" djs, aren´t they? i think it is hard to judge both in one and the same way.

crazyxray
26-09-2005, 01:38 PM
what about DJ MURPHY from Brasil?
I mean they call him the brazilian Jeff Mills.

oldbugger
26-09-2005, 01:39 PM
yeah i know what you mean. its just when people go on about how technically brilliant ben sims is it makes me laugh. theres not that many techno dj's that are that good.

not slagging it..i hate hip hop and love techno...its just an observation.

best dj ever IMO is hawtin. infact he's in a league of his own in every aspect.

koma
26-09-2005, 01:39 PM
murphy kicks ass, got some crazy mixes from him... :clap:

crazyxray
26-09-2005, 01:46 PM
yeah i know what you mean. its just when people go on about how technically brilliant ben sims is it makes me laugh. theres not that many techno dj's that are that good.

i totally agree. hawtin is UNIQUE. and Ben is outstanding and just great.
he plays techno in a hip-hop way. just awesome. i wish all the hip-hop djs
would play techno. cause i don´t like hip-hop also at all. i mean for a party.

I think BadBoy Bill is nearly similar to Ben Sims, just an other style.
Africa Islam have also great skills. Always very spectacular but i hate
this crap he is playing even more than the worst hip-hop.

In fact you can say all the techno djs with hip-hop roots play very well
cause of the way they play techno. It´s different! And that´s exactly what
is needed to flash the people (in all styles of music)

oldbugger
26-09-2005, 01:52 PM

i totally agree. hawtin is UNIQUE. and Ben is outstanding and just great.
he plays techno in a hip-hop way. just awesome. i wish all the hip-hop djs
would play techno. cause i don´t like hip-hop also at all. i mean for a party.

I think BadBoy Bill is nearly similar to Ben Sims, just an other style.
Africa Islam have also great skills. Always very spectacular but i hate
this crap he is playing even more than the worst hip-hop.

In fact you can say all the techno djs with hip-hop roots play very well
cause of the way they play techno. It´s different! And that´s exactly what
is needed to flash the people (in all styles of music)

totally agree. pretty sure deetron grew up on hip hop too and clarke?????

Sunil
26-09-2005, 03:36 PM

Ah but they do!
He's the daddy ;)

Actually, I live in NYC and I can safely tell you that not everyone from NYC likes Bones.....and again, his brother-Adam, is still the better dj ;)

Sorry, I kinda took the wrong meaning from what you said originally. You were talking about Bones as a DJ, wheras I was just talking about Bones in general :doh:

I hear what you're saying, I could easily see Bones tomorrow and not enjoy his set at all, although he is someone I'd like to check one way or the other..

SlavikSvensk
26-09-2005, 04:47 PM

i think that's right on the money.

Dustin Zahn
26-09-2005, 06:18 PM
comparing electronic DJs to hiphop DJs in terms of skill is the stupidest thing I ever heard of.

SlavikSvensk
26-09-2005, 06:24 PM
comparing electronic DJs to hiphop DJs in terms of skill is the stupidest thing I ever heard of.

yep. it's just not what it's about. but i think that was oldbugger's point.

Dustin Zahn
26-09-2005, 06:32 PM
My point was that's its incredibly stupid because the two are like night and day. It's like comparing a saxophone to an electric guitar, they both make noises in very different ways.

gumpy green
26-09-2005, 06:38 PM

have to disagree..

who said you cannot flip techno and juggle etc and get very technical..

just techno djs are lazy.

if you gave someone like dj craze a bass tone locked groove and a locked groove record i bet hed come up with some very good "technical" stuff.

oldbugger
26-09-2005, 06:39 PM
[sarky]sorry.. ignore my stupid and ignorant comment :doh:[/sarky[

SlavikSvensk
26-09-2005, 06:39 PM
bottom line is, tricks in techno need to come second to the musicality of the set. besides, dmc competitions are all about a crowd just watching the dj. techno at its core, whatever else we ascribe to it, is about making people dance and keeping them dancing.

oldbugger
26-09-2005, 06:41 PM

have to disagree..

if you gave someone like dj craze a bass tone locked groove and a locked groove record i bet hed come up with some very good "technical" stuff.

totally agree mate. i cant see any difference at all. buty i'm ovbiusly stupid

Dustin Zahn
26-09-2005, 07:15 PM
I have no problem with mixing the elements together. Hell, my own DJ sets are very heavily hip-hop influenced with tricks, and more. All I am saying is why try and compare two completely different styles and claim one is better than the other?

Just because some of the DMC guys can scratch like a mother ****er doesn't make them a proper DJ in a club setting. Just because Sims and Clarkey are fairly decent at cutting records up doesn't mean they'd work the DMC guys. I just fail to see how one genre of DJs would be better skilled than the other. It's all subject to opinion.

I'll agree that that most techno guys wouldn't stand a chance in DMC competitions but it doesn't mean I don't support them for attempting to blur the lines between turntablism and beatmatching.

Quite frankly, I agree that most techno DJs are lazy or not much for show, but in a sense I am kind of glad. I've seen a number of DJs, both house and techno who constantly scratch over their whole entire set. Not only is the scratching half-assed, but it gets ****ing annoying, especially when people are there to dance moreso than being wowed (which is the point of a DMC comp).

oldbugger
26-09-2005, 07:22 PM
i'm not trying to say one is better than the other. the point really i was trying to make i suppose is its just laughable when people get so excited about sims doing a few cuts or clarke scratchin a bit. its not that technical really is it? (not that i can do it :oops: :doh: ) but do you get my point?

i'd love to hear what some hip hop dj's could do with techno loops.

gumpy green
26-09-2005, 07:23 PM
I have no problem with mixing the elements together. Hell, my own DJ sets are very heavily hip-hop influenced with tricks, and more. All I am saying is why try and compare two completely different styles and claim one is better than the other?

Just because some of the DMC guys can scratch like a mother **** doesn't make them a proper DJ in a club setting. Just because Sims and Clarkey are fairly decent at cutting records up doesn't mean they'd work the DMC guys. I just fail to see how one genre of DJs would be better skilled than the other. It's all subject to opinion.

I'll agree that that most techno guys wouldn't stand a chance in DMC competitions but it doesn't mean I don't support them for attempting to blur the lines between turntablism and beatmatching.

Quite frankly, I agree that most techno DJs are lazy or not much for show, but in a sense I am kind of glad. I've seen a number of DJs, both house and techno who constantly scratch over their whole entire set. Not only is the scratching half-assed, but it gets **** annoying, especially when people are there to dance moreso than being wowed (which is the point of a DMC comp).

agree ther too....

.thats usually the problem with techno djs cutting etc,,ther usually shite at it and over do it...

what we need is some folks briging this gap between turntablism and techno.......im on my way doing this but nowhere near the level i want...

Dustin Zahn
26-09-2005, 07:51 PM
i'm not trying to say one is better than the other. the point really i was trying to make i suppose is its just laughable when people get so excited about sims doing a few cuts or clarke scratchin a bit. its not that technical really is it? (not that i can do it :oops: :doh: ) but do you get my point?

Sometimes their tricks are pretty cookier cutter, sometimes I'm completely blown away.

SlavikSvensk
26-09-2005, 07:52 PM
it's also about restraint. a good techno dj in command of tricks knows not to overdo it. an annoying dj, IMO, just scratches and juggles constantly...

Athar
27-09-2005, 01:41 AM
Im not sure that someone said someting about him but for me is:

Jeff Amadeus :love:

Hes fuc**** good es. on 3 decks :twisted:

technoprocessor
28-09-2005, 02:25 PM
My favs:

Christian Varela, for his awesome variety of tricks and constant skill on performing them.

Jeff Mills, for the soul that he transmits in his sets, constantly changing tracks, always bringing up the right track after a transition

Richie Hawtin, brilliant EQ, very smoothly arranged effects, ver solid and constant sets

Dave Clarke, for his absolutely crazy ability on performing fast and complex tricks and cuts taht he masters in a crazy way

Also love to hear Ben Sims, DJ Murphy (very good scratching abilities), Patrick Skoog and Adam Beyer (very solid mixing) and others that i can't recall now

TechMouse
28-09-2005, 02:36 PM

DJ Kentaro (http://www.djkentaro.com)

Traxx
28-09-2005, 05:15 PM
Kentaro takes the piss :love:

davethedrummer
28-09-2005, 10:30 PM
My point was that's its incredibly stupid because the two are like night and day. It's like comparing a saxophone to an electric guitar, they both make noises in very different ways.

yah i tried that the other day...the guitar just wouldn't hold still so i had to use a piano instead
saxophones still annoy me though :crackup:

audioinjection
28-09-2005, 10:34 PM
a dj who can mix and play the drums at the sametime would get my vote

alsynthe
28-09-2005, 10:34 PM
theres a group of french turntablists that only juggle techno, think theres about 5 of em, they make complete techno tracks from juggling, its awesome

jibberish
29-09-2005, 12:49 AM
Chris Liberator - there....there's the proper answer.

RDR
29-09-2005, 11:04 AM
a dj who can mix and play the drums at the sametime would get my vote

hur hur hur!!! :lol:

FuK-NuT
29-09-2005, 12:15 PM
Chris Liberator - there....there's the proper answer.

jiberish...

jon connor
29-09-2005, 12:21 PM
it's also about restraint. a good techno dj in command of tricks knows not to overdo it. an annoying dj, IMO, just scratches and juggles constantly...

:clap: :clap: :clap: short and sweat smooth as houses cool as the cockiest aly cat in your town. :rambo:

jon connor
29-09-2005, 12:25 PM
by the way ive to many djs to mention here but 1 on here who stands out a mile for shere talent is DJ OGI from croatia this boy can mix god damm genius. best original talent ive seen in years he reminds me of early umek. ;)

wot a jock wot a producer for the future now theres a good candidate. :cool:

fatcollective
29-09-2005, 03:49 PM
umek is pretty technical...jermoe is wikid...even eddy halliwell is wikid....but technical ability must go hand in hand with keeping the crowd stomping and i think Dave the Drummer is the man for that!

fils_here
29-09-2005, 03:58 PM
umek is pretty technical...jermoe is wikid...even eddy halliwell is wikid....but technical ability must go hand in hand with keeping the crowd stomping and i think Dave the Drummer is the man for that!

seconded!!

FuK-NuT
29-09-2005, 04:11 PM
some mind bogglin choices going on here...think some folks need
to get out more and listen to more peeps rather than the rut they seem
to b stuck in...

fatcollective
29-09-2005, 04:26 PM
to b stuck in...

:eh:

penthesilea
29-09-2005, 04:56 PM
to b stuck in...

mm... Maybe we're just getting side tracked and going for the music we like rather then the "technical skills" side of things...

bit of a vaste subject though: what is technically good to me (not being a DJ) is probably shite for you lot... And lots of really good guys can have bad sets etc... saw the Surgeon only once and thought he was crap (just a laptop, nothing happening, no chopping no cutting...). Does that make him crap? Nope. But am not gonna rush to see another of his sets..

penthesilea
29-09-2005, 04:58 PM
so I'd say (keeping in mind the technical side of things)

Laurent Garnier
Dave Clark
Ben Sims
Jerome

jon connor
29-09-2005, 05:16 PM
anyone seen christian varela :shock: hes another dude 3 deck wizzard.dave clarke also to me is mechanic god dam daddy if you ask me but i no many will disgree , also carl cox jesus how many quality guys out there , and fuk nut you nutter wots this stuck in rut do you think we all just got into techno or somthing and havent a clue on who is who and who can do wot hahahahahahahahahah :lol:

my choice of ogi was simply a more up to date choice somone who deffo floats my boat and someone i see as 1 of the most gifted techno talents ive seen in years even tho he aint known like some of the big guns we mention here he sure is an absolute full package of a most technical and giffted dj. ;) same feelings towards jeff amadeus wot a talent enough said. there are far many gifted genuine geeza`s out there to pick one its simply inpossible :eh:

davethedrummer
30-09-2005, 02:50 AM
charles seigling from technasia

if you haven't already , check him out

dj cash money for the hip hoppers

one
30-09-2005, 03:20 AM

you have to be kidding.....

jon connor
30-09-2005, 10:33 AM

also chester beaty :love: :love: :love: wot a talent i forgot about him untill henry mentioned technaisia wow :shock:

The Overfiend
30-09-2005, 10:45 AM
anyone seen christian varela :shock: hes another dude 3 deck wizzard.dave clarke also to me is mechanic god dam daddy if you ask me but i no many will disgree , also carl cox jesus how many quality guys out there , and fuk nut you nutter wots this stuck in rut do you think we all just got into techno or somthing and havent a clue on who is who and who can do wot hahahahahahahahahah :lol:

my choice of ogi was simply a more up to date choice somone who deffo floats my boat and someone i see as 1 of the most gifted techno talents ive seen in years even tho he aint known like some of the big guns we mention here he sure is an absolute full package of a most technical and giffted dj. ;) same feelings towards jeff amadeus wot a talent enough said. there are far many gifted genuine geeza`s out there to pick one its simply inpossible :eh:

Ogi
Agreed the boys is tight.
Paul Mac for selection and programming.

jon connor
30-09-2005, 10:51 AM
for sure paul mac production is exellent just aint seen a set from him yet dude.

gumpy green
30-09-2005, 11:18 AM
all live fairly technical dj sets .

http://www.diversefrequencies.co.uk/mp3/sekonz_live_at_jakN_02_07_05.mp3
http://www.diversefrequencies.co.uk/mp3/sekonz_live_at_jakn_270805.mp3
http://www.diversefrequencies.co.uk/mp3/sekonz_shirt_and_gaffer_tie.mp3

im gonna post sum juggling and skratching with techno soon too.

FuK-NuT
30-09-2005, 12:17 PM
all live fairly technical dj sets .

http://www.diversefrequencies.co.uk/mp3/sekonz_live_at_jakN_02_07_05.mp3
http://www.diversefrequencies.co.uk/mp3/sekonz_live_at_jakn_270805.mp3
http://www.diversefrequencies.co.uk/mp3/sekonz_shirt_and_gaffer_tie.mp3

im gonna post sum juggling and skratching with techno soon too.

if its not dave clarke no one will care....!

gumpy green
30-09-2005, 01:08 PM
who? that the boy that uses the djm pretty sketchy and cant skratch to save himself.
;)

jon connor
30-09-2005, 03:41 PM
now now boys :nono: dont diss dave clarke he is part of the old school and i respect him imensly even if some you dont the man is a legend , ive seen him tear a club appart , mabey now he is old and past it a bit but lets not forget wot he has done in the past 9 bissiness seprate from actuall turntablism here i know that side of things is sketchy with him but still easy now dudes.... lets hold the tounge a bit on the slagging :eh:

jon connor
30-09-2005, 03:43 PM
now now boys :nono: dont diss dave clarke he is part of the old school and i respect him imensly even if some you dont the man is a legend , ive seen him tear a club appart , mabey now he is old and past it a bit but lets not forget wot he has done in the past bissiness seprate from actuall turntablism here i know that side of things is sketchy with him but still easy now dudes.... lets hold the tounge a bit on the slagging :eh:

fuked up the last post forget the 9 keyboard slip . :lol:

fatcollective
30-09-2005, 04:27 PM
now now boys :nono: dont diss dave clarke he is part of the old school and i respect him imensly even if some you dont the man is a legend , ive seen him tear a club appart , mabey now he is old and past it a bit but lets not forget wot he has done in the past bissiness seprate from actuall turntablism here i know that side of things is sketchy with him but still easy now dudes.... lets hold the tounge a bit on the slagging :eh:

fuked up the last post forget the 9 keyboard slip . :lol:

what the hell, are you on about jon ?????? ur fvckin nuts man :lol: :lol: :lol:

jon connor
30-09-2005, 04:31 PM
well everyone knows me by now :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: hahahahaha fukinell ive to go back to school my grammer is shite :eh: just thought the dave clarke digg was a bit below the belt but hey everyone is intitled to there opinion ;)

gumpy green
30-09-2005, 04:34 PM
im only playing son.....

dave clarke was the man who inspirred me to start mixin techno the way i do.

until then i was a turntablist full stop.

he gets a MASSIVE amount of respect from me for whats hes done in the past and how he influenced me in the beginning of me techno mixin.

But i honestly get more technical than him....ill stick up a video very soon to show.

I just think its sad that folks are still thinking them djs are amazing when they aint....not that i am just now... but i bet in 10yrs i will be on sum next level stuff.

party hiphop djs like vinroc are doing soo much more on the tables(they are really pushing the artform) and rocking a party at the same time...

jon connor
30-09-2005, 04:38 PM
im only playing son.....

dave clarke was the man who inspirred me to start mixin techno the way i do.

until then i was a turntablist full stop.

he gets a MASSIVE amount of respect from me for whats hes done in the past and how he influenced me in the beginning of me techno mixin.

But i honestly get more technical than him....ill stick up a video very soon to show.

I just think its sad that folks are still thinking them djs are amazing when they aint....not that i am just now... but i bet in 10yrs i will be on sum next level stuff.

party hiphop djs like vinroc are doing soo much more on the tables(they are really pushing the artform) and rocking a party at the same time...

yea mate here you there fella dave clarke inspred me to mix the way i do like a fukin nut case hahahahahaha ............ no worrys grumpy bring on the video clip lets see wot you up to fella sounds interesting ;)

gumpy green
30-09-2005, 04:43 PM
will do gotta sort me x fader first cause me snapped the pin the knob goes on..

have to super glue the fuker on once every week or so..

gonna have to see if penne and giles will sell me a new prong cause im not up for paying £70 for a new one when mines in almost working.

if i got time this weekend ill wap sum juggling with fx up for yaz to laugh at.

fatcollective
30-09-2005, 04:47 PM
mabey now he is old and past it a bit but lets not forget wot he has done in the past 9 bissiness seprate from actuall turntablism here i know that side of things is sketchy with him but still easy now dudes.... lets hold the tounge a bit on the slagging :eh:

im not taking the piss mate, but this really made me laugh man :lol: :lol: havent got a clue what your on about u crazy mutha bucka ;)

gumpy green
30-09-2005, 06:24 PM
gonna busy this weekend so heres what i rattled up after work...

technicality needs to be pushed a hell of alot more tho....

http://www.diversefrequencies.co.uk/temp/sekonznewjuggle.MPG

Stella Boy
30-09-2005, 08:05 PM

but is it technically brilliant :crackup:

Xavi
30-09-2005, 10:38 PM
i know i'm jumping into the subject late , but what do you all mean by technical brilliance ... ??

is it the dj skillz on the turntables 2 or 3, , the mixer, versitality in using the effects , good eq , versitality in style , blending the elements togheter , choping, improvizing on the spot , being able to properly do what u wanted on the decks in the first place just by thinking about it ? :crackup:

fatcollective
30-09-2005, 11:53 PM
all of the above all in one ;)

Rudi Schmulten
01-10-2005, 01:38 PM
Then Rudi Schmulten is here for you!

Mix coming soon.

jon connor
01-10-2005, 02:18 PM
will do gotta sort me x fader first cause me snapped the pin the knob goes on..

have to super glue the fuker on once every week or so..

gonna have to see if penne and giles will sell me a new prong cause im not up for paying £70 for a new one when mines in almost working.

if i got time this weekend ill wap sum juggling with fx up for yaz to laugh at.

yea dude im aving trouble with the new pioneer 909 fuk there `s no room for ya fingers to bend that parameter pot ...... like the 600 you av plenty of room like, on the right hand side of the mixer to really bend some heads..but trying to pull off the same tricks on the 909 im doing all bloody sorts of acrobats to try get me hands in for manipulation.... :eh: ( its like playing twister standing up) :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: for the price of this piece of kit pioneer could of made it a little bit bigger i hate these tiny little knobs they keep making ,i mean like a good women you need somthing you can grab old of with a firm grip on the old love handle`s give it some welly raahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaa yes baby! hahahahah :lol: better performance i say , :love:

jon connor
01-10-2005, 02:22 PM
mabey now he is old and past it a bit but lets not forget wot he has done in the past . bisiness seprate from actuall turntablism here i know that side of things is sketchy with him but still easy now dudes.... lets hold the tounge a bit on the slagging :eh:

i mean clarke boy is an awsome jock but a nightmare in bisiness he`s expensive etc etc etc etc etc take the bisiness away and just look at his technical ability :crackup: :crackup: :crackup: aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh! cup of tea please fella ;) cheers ears you nutter hahahahahah :lol:

im not taking the piss mate, but this really made me laugh man :lol: :lol: havent got a clue what your on about u crazy mutha bucka ;)

FUSION
01-10-2005, 06:59 PM

Mix coming soon.

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYYY ALRITE RUDI! HOWZ YA BURNT BIT?

TripleX
01-10-2005, 07:23 PM

good stuff dude :clap: :clap:

MangaFish
01-10-2005, 09:46 PM

But then i dont think many of the DMC DJs would beable to mix on 3 or more decks and keep all the tracks in time and create a flowing set.

hip-hop turnableism is only one side of being a technical DJ.

MangaFish
01-10-2005, 09:49 PM

have to disagree..

I dont think they would personally otherwise they would have been using locked grooves long before now. Plus most of the beatmatching i hear from hip-hop DJs are only very approximate designed to last a bar or two at most. It takes a lot more skill to keep the tracks in time after 2 or so minutes as the BPM only has to be a fraction out and its noticable

MangaFish
01-10-2005, 09:52 PM

spot on :clap:

Rudi Schmulten
01-10-2005, 10:09 PM

Mix coming soon.

HEEEEEEEEEEEEEYYYYYYYYYYY ALRITE RUDI! HOWZ YA BURNT BIT?

Ola Fusion. I am in confused? My bits are brunt? Thanks for supporting my mix.

gumpy green
03-10-2005, 01:08 PM
but is it technically brilliant :crackup:

yes.

doing all that, with sum blendin mayhem, jammin fx, skracthing(and im talking about proper "musical" cuts, not the shite getting done by many metioned in this thread, think invisibl skratch piklz style) the odd funny trick, some smooth mixes, choosing good tunes that flow and work well with each other, jugglin, using samples and fx to remix tracks or add more elements etc etc makes a technically brillient dj.

thats what I want to see..

if your happy seeing someone just play tunes you like and blend em in to the last track over and over fair enuf......i want more from the artform and i will strive to do so and make others aware and hopefully do so too.

up to you, im gonna keep at what i believe in, one day ye shall see. ;)

JamieBall
03-10-2005, 01:23 PM
With you on that, Gazzatron...

I DO know some folk who really DON'T like our style of putting techno together, though. For them it's about the progression of the music and record choice with the tunes being mixed seamlessly (read BORING) one after the other.

Quite a few techno heads don't like cut-ups, scratching etc but then I guess I'm not really a techno head - I'm a hip-hop head and I also apply these ideals to.. er... Making a ****ing HUGE NOISE !

In fact, in that respect, as you used to spin mainly hip-hop too, doesn't that make us the very 'hip-hop djs using techno tools' that apparently don't exist ?

Mind you, I've always relished the idea of not existing :twisted:

dan the acid man
03-10-2005, 01:28 PM
i think were all missing another good point in that, its nice to go out and see a variety of dj's not only playing different styles of techno, but also using different mixing techniques.

i like seeing one dj do smooth long mixes, then the next one maybe do more tricks, then another one maybe using three decks etc.

JamieBall
03-10-2005, 01:35 PM
I get your point on that score, fair enough.

For me, personally, I rate Steve Bicknell as one of my all-time 'top' DJs. He's not 'technically' an amazing dj when compared to some but the pacing of his sets etc... FAULTLESS.

In terms of techno I'd rather listen to Bicknell than most other DJs on the planet.

The sound he creates and the music he mixes is ALWAYS jaw-dropping, imo, has had me laughing on the dancefloor so many times down to its utterly pounding and hypnotic ZEN FACTOR.

He's always been mining the seams that are more difficult to reach, too, and I respect those who climb and dive to get to the true gems while others prospect at ground level for generic scraps.

Traxx
03-10-2005, 01:50 PM
The couple of times ive seen him he has had really good tunes but couldnt put them together or could every other one. Does tune selection come under technical?

Traxx
03-10-2005, 01:51 PM
He's not 'technically' an amazing dj when compared to some

Didnt read all your post ;)

Dirtyacid
04-10-2005, 06:57 AM
umek or valentino kanzani umek is like a god in my book

jon connor
04-10-2005, 10:53 AM

second that once saw him do a demonstration on 4 decks at eastern bloc record shop in manchester :shock: :shock: :shock: fuk he blew everyones head off wot a superstar :love:

DJPAUZE
04-10-2005, 06:30 PM
Id have to say varela personally, but clarke is really good too.

I'm not a really big fan of scatchin thats why i picked these two.

But if i was to say with scratching included DJ Murphy from Brazil would take the cake.

Pauze :twisted:

davethedrummer
04-10-2005, 07:09 PM

But if i was to say with scratching included DJ Murphy from Brazil would take the cake.

what is it about dj murphy and cake???
there's a post earlier about this too
do you all know something i don't?

dan the acid man
04-10-2005, 07:13 PM
yes, he owns shares in mr kipling

conflict
04-10-2005, 08:38 PM

:lol:

davethedrummer
04-10-2005, 10:04 PM

i knew it
he's the one that puts the icing on........ :crackup:

dan the acid man
04-10-2005, 10:13 PM
yeah, by all accounts, he's a dab hand with a piping bag

conflict
04-10-2005, 10:18 PM
still over eggs the pudding tho

dan the acid man
04-10-2005, 10:32 PM

i was hoping that nasty rumour wasn't true

Jay Pace
05-10-2005, 12:06 PM

For me, personally, I rate Steve Bicknell as one of my all-time 'top' DJs. He's not 'technically' an amazing dj when compared to some but the pacing of his sets etc... FAULTLESS.

In terms of techno I'd rather listen to Bicknell than most other DJs on the planet.

The sound he creates and the music he mixes is ALWAYS jaw-dropping, imo, has had me laughing on the dancefloor so many times down to its utterly pounding and hypnotic ZEN FACTOR.

He's always been mining the seams that are more difficult to reach, too, and I respect those who climb and dive to get to the true gems while others prospect at ground level for generic scraps.

Really strange

I find him predictable, unimaginative and worst of all interminably dull. I've never met anyone who rates him at all.

But different strokes for different folks I guess. I'm glad that some people are into him. It would be awful if everyone thought he was rubbish.

I love 'lost', and am dead grateful towards the man for it...

TechMouse
05-10-2005, 12:09 PM
Euphemism of the day. :lol:

JamieBall
05-10-2005, 01:13 PM

Really strange

I find him predictable, unimaginative and worst of all interminably dull. I've never met anyone who rates him at all.

But different strokes for different folks I guess. I'm glad that some people are into him. It would be awful if everyone thought he was rubbish.

I love 'lost', and am dead grateful towards the man for it...

I know LOADS of people who rate him, so I guess it is a different strokes thing.

This is good, though, the world would be so boring if we were all the same :lol:

sash
05-10-2005, 02:48 PM
dave clarke still does it 4 me (although he's probably the most inconsistent dj on the planet as well).

There's something unique about how he drops tracks in. Everything just flows and keeps pushin forward. his mixin on his new techno world service 2 disc is nuts and unique.
Definitely not everyone's cup of tea though but it's good that he brings another level of diversity to techno.

schlager
06-10-2005, 11:36 AM

I don't know how he plays abroad (i.e. umek), but at home he's been pretty inconsistent for the last two years at least. ever since he ventured into electro-house, knarz type of music a year or so ago he seems to have lost his feeling for the crowd too. as for kanzyani: although i don't really dig the tracks he plays, he always makes a hell of a party.

personally, surgeon is the most technically accomplished dj i've ever heard, not to mention the tracks he plays. An awesome package, and guess what: he's coming to a club near me very soon :rambo:

Louk
06-10-2005, 12:36 PM
cari lekebusch

Traxx
06-10-2005, 01:21 PM
Terry Wogan

RDR
06-10-2005, 01:28 PM
Terry Wogan

Nah man, jonathan woss wastes him...

Traxx
06-10-2005, 01:35 PM
Yeah woss'y is the new breed + he has his own hair...now that's techno :lol:

marginmaster
06-10-2005, 03:18 PM
Wossies hilarious :clap:

always gets smutty with the posh yank actresses :lol:

kai
06-10-2005, 04:35 PM
cari lekebusch

Had never heard of him until saw him at Darkside in May - really impressed me though and would love to hear more from him.

recoil
07-10-2005, 10:09 AM
Dave Clarke, at first I didn't like his sound at all. After hearing some sets I kind of started to enjoy it. I really like the way he builds up draws it to a climax, and then use some djm600 effect to eventually start all over again.. his mixing technique is just brilliant.

RDR
07-10-2005, 12:14 PM
cari lekebusch

Had never heard of him until saw him at Darkside in May - really impressed me though and would love to hear more from him.

Lekebusch is the daddy, his production skills are awesome.

DJPAUZE
07-10-2005, 03:26 PM

what is it about dj murphy and cake???
there's a post earlier about this too
do you all know something i don't?

Never played with Murphy over in Brazil Henry?

www.djmurphy.net

Playing all over the globe now, with Hypno DJ's in Brazil. Really wicked friend of mine, actually inspired me to go to Brazil for the first time.

Check that site listen to some of his mixes.

Pauze

DJPAUZE
07-10-2005, 03:28 PM
damn his site seem to be down.

Oxen Blank
11-10-2005, 09:46 AM
Mulero and Mills for me

And also Technasia...

react
11-10-2005, 11:52 PM
brilliant in technical in terms (techno fused with turntablism):

claude young (the OG of turntable acrobatics - we miss you)
&
ben sims

technical in terms of performance and technology:

richie hawtin (now if he'd only start playing techno again)

brilliant in terms of just being brilliant:

o/v/r
surgeon
regis
mark broom
vince watson
paul mac
christian wunsch

tocsin
12-10-2005, 03:28 AM
The man, the myth, the legnd!Click here (http://www.monobrow.com/monomovies/movie-03.html) to see what I mean.

tocsin
12-10-2005, 03:30 AM
WAIT! There's more (http://www.joenapier.com/supergregfan/lovin_u.mov)!

John Vella
12-10-2005, 04:40 PM
Yea I agree with Frank that Murphy is really really good.

278d7e64a374de26f==