PDA

View Full Version : Trance/Techno Reviews for September 2005

Louk
20-09-2005, 02:56 PM
Michael Parsberg + Flipside – "Bang The Box" [Go For It! - DE] GOFO05116-6

Well you all heard me mention this one last month and let's be honest; it's a cracker of a tune! The original leans towards the tough, darker, techy side of things, while the Davy Van Eynde mix is seven minutes of bliss! Reminding me of some of the Orange records that came out on Tsunami (the weird ones that I battered constantly) and with such a quality lead on it, this is definitely one of the anthems of the year for me! Magnifique.

E-Love - "Vrantique" [Bonzai - BE] BM2005194

With E-Love as an artist name, first impressions for this Belgian trancer left me expecting an eight minute tranceathon, ranting about the effects of Ecstasy usage, however leaving my assumptions at the door, what we have here is a glorious tune from the Bonzai crew. Opening with a strong tech trance build up, then leading into a lush string break, I expect this one will be huge! Top stuff.

Gleave - "Pure Eyes / Lights Out" [Detox - NL] TOX0014

Northern Irish protégé Gleave Dobbin delivers the latest marvel for the Dutch Detox imprint and it has to be said that the flip 'Pure Eyes' is the track that has gained the most attention from me. With an increase in BPM compared to previous releases, coupled with effected vocals and an all around 'Let's 'Ave It' approach, this is simply marvelous. The flip 'Lights Out' is a rather effective slice of trance too. Excellent value for money!

Oliver Giacomotto - "No Respect" [Audio Assault - NL] AAR014

Bas Mooy and the Audio Assault collective really are leading the way for me in terms of techno at the moment, as the latest releases have simply been blinding and very dance floor friendly! On release fourteen, are four tracks of wonderful, dark and twisted techno, with the rather frenetic 'No Respect' by French born Oliver stealing the show. Expect to hear this one battered out by many DJs including myself over the next few months!

Kay Stone - "Alone" [Breeze - DE] BREV0502

If the first release and this rather energetic follow up are anything to go by, then Breeze are certainly proving to be a reliable imprint for quality trance as all three mixes are top notch! My favourite is the Kasuma mix which delivers an uplifting break and really goes for the jugular with its monumental build up. However, both the original and the Mind One mix are worthy of a mention too. Fair play.

Anti Matter - "Absolute Zero" [Precision Music - UK] PRM102

Man of the moment JK Walker delivers an absolute belter this month in the form of 'Absolute Zero'. Sounding very different to the style he used to produce a couple of years ago, this still rocks it! Featuring a twisted synth lead and the usual crisp percussion and warm bassline, this is a wonderful follow up to the label launching 'Cold Fusion' by Naxos Project. Definitely one for the box!

Cosmic Culture - "Oceans" [Asgard - DE] ASGARD006

I must admit I did overlook this track the first time I received it a few months ago but giving it an in depth listen the second time and hearing it out with a feeling of familiarity, it certainly grew on me! With a riff on the Deep Sea mix that will set leave you wide eyed and yearning for more, You can be assured I will be giving this one a severe play in my trance sets over the next few months.

Willem Faber - "Mass Hysteria / Squeeze" [Altitude - NL] ALTY018

Records like this should come with a warning, as from the very first beat this two tracker is seriously twisted. Mass Hysteria takes no prisoners with the harsh synths and sheer brutality (and originality!) that is the percussion included. When the second break kicks in, all hell breaks loose. The flip Squeeze is on a similar tip with a very dark edge. Rest assured I can't wait to play this beauty out.

Ancronix - "Ritmo Tolerante" [Protocast - NL] PROTO002

Protocast's debut release is still in my record box to date and has worked wonders in every set which I have played it at, it is of no surprise that this follow up four tracker works wonders for me. The standout track is 'Ritmo Tolerante', which has one of the hardest kick drums I've ever heard on a tune, making you want to shake frenetically and start banging your head against the nearest speaker to you...or is that just me? Coming soon to a free party near you, I'm sure!

Marcel Woods - "Advanced" [High Contrast - NL] HC009

High Contrast have certainly done it again for me! Although the riff on this conjures up images of a rather young Marcel spending many hours playing a Nintendo Gameboy in his early years, the melody is indeed very catchy. It is no surprise that the tune has worked so well on the floors, amassing a huge amount of DJ Support too. Out of the mixes on offer it is the Original which rocks although Ton TB's offering is quite fair as well.

Forbes + Lee - "Darkk Slugger / Mind Rev" [Inside Out - UK] IO002

Highland Heroes David + Mallorca return for this double sider on the reliable Inside Out imprint. From what I can recall the debut release had a rather tip top Adam Sheridan mix which I certainly dug and this is wicked too. Sharp stabby synths, pounding percussion and a plethora of twists and turns make this release an essential addition to any tech trance set. Highly recommended.

DJ Preach - "Imperio" [Relic - CA] RELIC001

Canadian Preach has been rocking dancefloors with both his productions and his sets of late, so it was a pleasure to check out this two tracker for his Relic imprint. I must confess that the flip 'Imperio' has been the one gracing the turntables and making me salivate profusely (as listeners to the recent guest mix I did for DJ Choose in Denmark will know), with samba vocals and really punchy, crisp percussion plus a dark and dirty bassline, this 'hoofs!' to quote an expression!

Lambler - "Fuel / Quasar" [E-Cutz - DE] EC2005-4

E-Cutz are by far one of my favourite labels, and they have failed to put a foot wrong yet in my opinion. This two tracker from Lambler certainly made me leap around rather energetically when listening to it in the record shop, and why not? It's wonderful. Fuel is one of those tunes that, although may not stand out, works as a top filler tune, while the flip Quasar is also more than worthy of a play or two.

Also Recommended:

- Dave 202 presents Powerface - "Abyss" [Cuepoint - DE]
- Tease - "Vicious Mountain" [Chew The Club - DK]
- Simon Eve - "Timeline" [Recharge - UK]
- Edge One - "Crusher / Okko" [W/L - UK]
- Trium Se - "Con Spirito" [Illuminate - DE]

Forthcoming Bookings for Louk:
- Sat 15th Oct - Eyecon @ Dance Academy (Plymouth)
- Fri TBC Nov – Panic Room (Barry Island)
- TBC – 30 Minute Guest Mix for Big Al (Vibe FM)

If you would like Louk to review your productions please email louk909@hotmail.com

All the best

Louk

278d7e64a374de26f==