PDA

View Full Version : really loving dj preach's stuff at the moment

anx
22-09-2005, 05:42 PM
Im really loving his new style. Seems he has ventured off of the tribal funky clubby stuff, to be honest the production was great i just wasnt feeling that style.

but lately he has been coming out with some great tracks with awesome synth lines and sweet bass. really great production, tracks im into are the mankind one, the patterns ones he did, his new relic lable, and a few others. I read that he is doing the new hydraulix (32). that is great, i think it'll be a monster. He is quickly becoming one of my favorite producers.

Some of the breaks in his tracks almost have a trancier feel, but i think it really works with the rest of the track, without making it sound uplifting or cheesy....has the aspect of what i think a great build should sound like.

Really hoping to get him to Calgary next year for a party.

go preach!

fresh_an_funky_design
22-09-2005, 06:03 PM
preach rocks! his production and dj'n is top notch!

MARKEG
22-09-2005, 10:31 PM
yeah i got a cd the other week with some of his new stuff on and i tell you what - it's absolutely blinding! absolutely loved that mankind thing (until that stringy bit) and that darren kay/preach thing is pretty good too.

there's this one track on this cd that samples brazilian singing in the break - it's constant for about 32 beats and then changes slightly and off we go - does anyone know what it is??? the bassline is just incredible - it's like one note but it's such a dirty note i could KILL someone when i hear it!!!!!

brilliant!!!

Louk
22-09-2005, 10:34 PM
anyone heard his album on relic!? its fantastic

Louk

anx
23-09-2005, 04:15 AM
yeah i got a cd the other week with some of his new stuff on and i tell you what - it's absolutely blinding! absolutely loved that mankind thing (until that stringy bit) and that darren kay/preach thing is pretty good too.

there's this one track on this cd that samples brazilian singing in the break - it's constant for about 32 beats and then changes slightly and off we go - does anyone know what it is??? the bassline is just incredible - it's like one note but it's such a dirty note i could KILL someone when i hear it!!!!!

brilliant!!!

pretty its this one

http://www.bangingtunes.com/play/relic001/a/

or this one

http://www.bangingtunes.com/play/relic001/b/

i play both sides and they kill the place!!!

RDR
23-09-2005, 07:00 AM

brilliant!!!

I think thats pedro delgardo? I remember him playing me a promo not so long back that does that...

ANDROID
29-09-2005, 08:35 AM
Hey Mark the track that you talking bout is a INTEC 29 "RETURN TO THE SOURCE"`i belive so.
The Preach is great, love his stuff!!!

MARKEG
29-09-2005, 08:41 AM
brilliant

thanks android!

The Overfiend
30-09-2005, 12:24 AM
http://mp3.juno.co.uk/MP3/SF151492-01-01-01.mp3

I loooooooooove this

davethedrummer
30-09-2005, 02:41 AM
got the new tracks from preach the other day

hahahahahahaha

you will shit your pants!

dan the acid man
30-09-2005, 10:52 AM
i dont want to be shitting my pants, i stopped doing that when i was 15 :shock:

fresh_an_funky_design
30-09-2005, 01:23 PM

hahahahahahaha

y did you?? :dontevengothere:

fatcollective
30-09-2005, 01:26 PM

hahahahahahaha

i take it your talking about Hydro32....cant wait to hear this !

ibbjamin
03-10-2005, 07:21 AM
I'd have to agree with you about Preach. He has been making a pretty big imprint in both production as well as his sets. Somewhat clubby techno at times, yes, but still excellent overall. So many of his newer tracks seem to be some of my recent favorites. I had a feeling he would be on the uprise starting about 2 years ago, but I never expected it to be so fast. I'll definitely be paying attention to him in the future.

new
03-10-2005, 09:26 AM
hey I just did an interview with Preach for my 'zine. Here ya go

1. How did you get your start into the world of electronic music? What impact did the local electronic music scene have on your development into making music?

I remember that I started being interested in electronic music when I was 12 years old. My sister use to be very extravagant in her musical selection. From hard rock to electronic music she gave me the opportunity to discover so many genres. She used to give me theses acid-house tapes that she recorded on a local underground radio show. I just got immediately hooked on it! I have played most of club music genres, from acid to techno to trance to progressive, it’s a few years after that I really focused on techno and choose it as my favourite style for djing and producing. Of course the local talent were influencing our musical evolution. I remember guys like dj one, nicb and st-michel who brought this music to us in Quebec City back in 91-92… I didn’t really go out until 96 where I discovered the dj thing.

2. How did you go about getting the name “Preach”?

It was a coincidence in the dictionary but then I realized the meaning of the word and I really felt it was a good concept to express my vision of music.

3. You’ve been DJing for more than 10 years now. How do you keep fresh after all that time?

I have started DJing officially in 96-97 in parties. Now im 25 years old and really not bored of what I’m doing at all hehe. I would say that sometimes its hard to have the fresh stuff and be very updated with a new sound but then it’s the big challenge. Every places have different crowds and music can be changed at any moment during a set. Lately I have got so many promos and unreleased tracks from various artists… I just cant wait to be there with your guys and play this stuff because I really think there’s still amazing talent in funky techno that are unreleased.

4. You are only releasing your first CD now, after so long. Why the wait? What’s special about now?

The mix compilation CD was released in Canada last April (if you remember well, I played in Halifax to promote the CD). Right now we are doing the worldwide release with our distributor in Europe. I wanted to test the product first in Canada to see what would be people’s reactions. I’m really glad it worked and we sold out the CD pretty fast. We learned so much from this experience and now doing it in the rest of the world seems easier. There is a big part of work in promotion, marketing that needs to be done; things that I needed to learn! Why the wait? Probably because I didn’t feel ready and mature enough in my track selection to go on with this project. My residency at Aria really helped me with that!

5. How did you choose the tracks that are on your CD? Was it a tough process to narrow it down to 24 tracks?

I wanted something different from the beginning till the end. Something recorded live in a club and that would represent the sound from Montréal’s techno scene. The CD starts more groovy and funky and goes a little harder in the middle, then finishes with deeper tracks. Something that people can put in their car or listen at home and feel the party vibe ;)

6. You have proved yourself as a great producer – charting releases on Mixmag’s techno chart, and on the personal chart of almost every techno DJ out there (as well as many non-techno artists). Why do you still DJ? Do you see yourself moving towards a live PA in the future?

I don’t want to do any live PA ever I think. I love DJing and I believe it’s the greatest part of my work. Producing is something more intimate; creating the sound really gives the opportunity to express emotions. DJing is the party side of the job, enjoying the hard work in the studio and meeting new peoples that shares the same interest.

7. Most of your gigs are abroad. How do you feel that being Canadian makes those others in the world who come to see you play feel? Is the music all that matters anyways?

I think I really have a different sound from the other DJs. A sound that I learned in Canada and that really represents us. People can feel that and they think it’s really exotic. Canada is seen as a really great place for electronic music talents. We have so many international artists that are great in our country, we must be very proud!

8. Your label, Relic Recordings, is really picking up steam. What’s next?

Next releases on the main label will be Preach Vs Marco V!! Then later next year we will have Michel de hey on board plus a few other great producer of the moment. We also have a sub label called Relic Silver which is mainly Marco G’s productions (from Quebec City). He’s planning a release with Misstress Barbara for his next single. Check it out!!!!

9. When DJing, what is most important – technical skill or track selection?

Skills are important but then track selection and dancing performances (hahaha I’m horrible) are great too! When I go to a club see a dj playing, I want to see him dancing and enjoying himself as well as playing great tracks!

10. Do you see yourself moving more towards CDs or a technology like Final Scratch? Or do you prefer vinyl?

I prefer vinyl but I play a lot of CDS. Obviously unreleased tracks are not available on vinyl so the CD becomes essential. I never got so interested by final scratch… I’m old fashion with these things.

11. Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

I want to be touring the world still, maybe living somewhere exotic where I can have a massive production studio. I want to help new artists more and more in the future and keep this great scene alive forever.

12. What advise can you give to someone just starting to DJ now? How about to someone just starting to get into production? Is there anything you wish someone had told you when you started?

New comers have to be very creative. Do something new and always work hard!

278d7e64a374de26f==