PDA

View Full Version : Logic and Reason

djTequila
11-07-2003, 10:00 AM
Mmmmm.... Just got Logic 5.3 for the PC, and it's exactly what I need in a sequencer.

The Aux object (allowing dub style delays and harmonizer style effects at f*^king last!) and the ability to handle multiple outputs on VST instruments has won me over. And here was me thinking I'd have to buy a Mac! (Don't worry - I will when I have the money!)

So, after an evening exploring the new features and making a friendly VST environment, I have one question unanswered.

How do I link Reason to Logic through Rewire? I can get them to play in time (with no sound from Reason), but I can't seem to get Logic to control the instruments the way Cubase SX can. And I'm having difficulty getting the sound through - the manual seems to be a bit scant on this issue.

Anyone managed to do this?

Tequila

audioinjection
14-07-2003, 03:50 PM
Is the Logic you have a crack? Could be that.

djTequila
15-07-2003, 05:26 PM
No, it's not that.

I got the sound through - I was confusing my Reason and Rebirth channels.

Now it's just MIDI control. It's a bit of a pain - usng rewire stops the MIDI input working on reason, but doesn't allow control through Logic.

Anyone found a way through? Or should I just ditch Reason?

Tequila

DJZeMig_L
15-07-2003, 05:38 PM
gimme 1 or 2 days I'll try 2 find out how u go about with this...

Z

Jimfish
15-07-2003, 06:55 PM
what a guy :lol:

djTequila
16-07-2003, 09:20 AM
Wow! Cheers man!

DJZeMig_L
16-07-2003, 12:41 PM
I don't have reason installed.. so it is kinda hard 2 check it... but uppon reading a little bit this seems resonably easy 2 apply/ understand..

F1 key is highly underrated...

ReWire
Audio Objects and Effects > Environment Audio Object > ReWire

Logic supports the ReWire software interface from software manufacturer Propellerheads. ReWire is an interface between sequencer and audio applications. ReWire works with hardware supported by Logic's native audio engine.

Please start Logic first, and then start your ReWire application(s). Please also refer to any notes regarding this in ReWire's "read me" files. ReWire scans for ReWire-compatible applications or system extensions; Propellerheads' ReBirth, for example.

Logic will display the audio returns of ReWire-connected applications as audio objects: You're able to insert plug-ins and create sends to busses on these returns, as per a normal audio track.

In order to use the audio returns of ReWire-connected applications, select an audio object and choose the desired ReWire audio-return in the flip menu of the Cha parameter of the audio object. In this flip menu you will find ReWire channels listed with their names along with the audio tracks, inputs, busses and outputs. ReWire or the application to which the connection belongs generates the names for these channels. The naming of a ReWire channel is not relevant to Logic.

For example, if a channel is called "Mix" it has no specific function related to that name as far as Logic is concerned. It is up to decide what to do with whatever channel. If there is no audio object for a ReWire return created in the Environment, no audio is transferred between a ReWired application and Logic. How does this work in practice with ReBirth, for example? In this case, you will find two channels called "Mix L" and "Mix R" within Logic. The two Mix channels return the summed mix of ReBirth's outputs. You will also find channels for every individual instrument. When creating an audio object for another channel such as the bass drum, for example, you will only hear the bass drum through that channel, and it is removed from the mix returns.

In comparison to VST2, Rewire has a relatively high MIDI latency due to technical reasons. This is not an issue when using software like Rebirth with Logic, as both applications are audio sequencers that are sample-accurately synced via the audio clock. Logic is always Sync master. As Logic is also the Cycle master, Skip Cycle works, too.

The following functions are shared between the applications:

start/stop,
repositioning,
cycle start & end,
tempo change

Please note: Logic must be in play mode for ReWire live input to work.

Let us know if this helped m8,
Z

djTequila
16-07-2003, 01:21 PM
Hehe!

Help is the first place I went to... I long ago learned, the hard way, the perils of ignoring the user manual! :wink:

After a false start trying to link audio objects to the Rebirth channels, I sorted the audio side a the weekend.

What I have now is a system where:

Reason is slaved to Logic. Reason outputs from the 'audio interface' are mapped to mono audio objects in Logic. These can be effected up a treat :D

Thus ends any help I can find in the Logic manual. As Reason is slaved, I seemingly cannot use a midi controller with reason while Logic is running. This means I have to enter everything in step time (yawn- a task made more difficult by the fact that Logic locks the position of the play pointer when stopped) or create the Reason parts while Logic isn't running (without the ability to plug different sounds into different audio outs and hear how they sound with decent-ish compression and good effects).

:x

These options destroy the feeling of that amazingly creative environment Logic gives me, which is why I'm considering giving up on Reason... Unless anyone's faced this issue and come up with a better solution.

Tequila

DJZeMig_L
16-07-2003, 03:28 PM
sorry lol...

I have 2 find some1 with reason and Logic..

out of the blue another stupid question... R u Using Asio Drivers in both?

Z

djTequila
16-07-2003, 03:58 PM
As far as I am aware, there is no audio driver running from within Reason when rewired - all audio is diverted as data through Logic to the Logic output device. Which in my case is Asio :)

Tequlila

DJZeMig_L
16-07-2003, 05:51 PM
that's what I ment ... my bad...

Z

DJZeMig_L
18-07-2003, 02:40 PM
I haven't given up on this ...I have 2 get a reason installed :(.. but now I have a reason 4 installing it ererer (lame joke alert)...

Expain exactly what U r missing .. what's not working..

If u use reason as stand alone r u still using asio drivers?

Z

djTequila
18-07-2003, 04:10 PM
OK. My problem is that when Reason is rewired to Logic, I have no way of controlling Reason with MIDI.

I seem to remember that even when I took the spare Midi out on my USB master keyboard, plugged that into my spare Midi in on my old Soundblaster Live, and asked Reason to accept MIDI information from that port, it complained and didn't let me do it! I'll try again though.

In Cubase, you can select Reason objects as Midi destinations. This means you can sequence everything in Cubase.

Logic doesn't seem to have this... Unless you know different... Or can think of a workaround, like a loopback device or something... But I would like to control Reason somehow!

And yeah, Reason uses Asio drivers as well.

Tequila

BTW, Reason 2.5 has some niiiiice features. Which is why I wanna do this!

DJZeMig_L
18-07-2003, 04:52 PM
Maybe U have 2 create a new instrument in the enviorment page...

Otherwise the Hubis loop back device might do the trick... although it would b very tricky

Have U check in the reason Manual and the Logic about this particular midi prob??...

In the main help text I found this ...

In comparison to VST2, Rewire has a relatively high MIDI latency due to technical reasons. This is not an issue when using software like Rebirth with Logic, as both applications are audio sequencers that are sample-accurately synced via the audio clock. Logic is always Sync master. As Logic is also the Cycle master, Skip Cycle works, too.

The following functions are shared between the applications:

start/stop,
repositioning,
cycle start & end,
tempo change

Please note: Logic must be in play mode for ReWire live input to work.

so I guess there should b somethin 2 it m8,

Z

DJZeMig_L
19-07-2003, 12:46 AM
Ok after a bit of messing about I think there is just no way of using reason n logic just as easy as Sx and reason (ain't the steiberg guys some cheaky basta***) ...

so all u can do is install Hubi's loop back device or midiyoke (ayak 4 mac users)... now config on the midi external devices (a,b,c and d) a port/ channel 4 each instrument (coming from Hubi's 1-4 )...
in logic use these virtual midi dirvers as sending midi 2 a regular external hardware machine...

I think u can have several instances of Hubi's so this should probably b the way 2 go...

it's messy and u probably already knew it.. I rest my case...

If u really must get 2 the bottom of this mail the propellerhead tech support or just sign up in they're forum...

AND PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF U FIND A SOLUTION!!!

Z

Z

djTequila
22-07-2003, 10:09 AM
Cheers, man! I really appreciate all the effort you went to!

Right... Been looking for an excuse to get that loopback device installed!

;)

Tequila

DJZeMig_L
24-07-2003, 05:39 PM
no prob. m8.. we that what we can.. I've also been puzzled by this so ...

Z

278d7e64a374de26f==