PDA

View Full Version : techno - sounding like classic garage....

Chazbloke
11-07-2003, 11:53 AM
right, now before y'all go flaming my ass down, hear me out on this one...
one of my best DJ buddies has been playing some badd-ass french and belgium techno - i'm not a techno head, so i dunno whether it's club, hard, loopy or any of the other genres...
all i know is, some of it (some, not all...) really, really does sound like garage which was being produced in the UK around 96/97 time... i.e. when garage was garage and not the commercial "UK Garage"/So Solid shite being churned out now.....
i downloaded a set recommened in the "wonky techno" thread - Jerome Hill one... within about 2-3 tunes, i heard one which i would deffo have played in garage set.....
i dunno if any of you guys listened to garage back then, but i thought i'd throw it into the conversation....thoughts? or have i finanly lost the plot...
i think it's cool - i've been gagging to hear that garage sound again and if techno adopting it slightly, i may well start listening to more techno...
Chaz.

Esox Lucius
11-07-2003, 11:58 AM
:shock:

to be honest I can`t really answer this question as I don`t know what 96/97 garage sounds like, I think garage is a southern thing, you rarely hear anything about it up here.

Patrick
11-07-2003, 12:05 PM
I think that sound has probably been in techno since day one, if I'm understanding what you mean by garage. There's no denying the Chicago house/garage influence on the Belville Three back in the day and many Detroit cuts have a very housey/garagey feel to them.

wenna
11-07-2003, 12:09 PM
some drum and bass can be very techno-like aswell, so i see what u mean!

miromiric.
11-07-2003, 12:26 PM
do u mean breakbeat techno maybe?

wenna
11-07-2003, 12:35 PM
i'm on about rolling dnb really, i mean forget the lower end of it, but some of the loops on the occasional dark/dirty drum and bass tune, i find quite techno-like. just imo probably, but what the hell! :?

ampassasinbirmingham
11-07-2003, 12:46 PM
my friend played a random drum and bass record at 33 at +7 and said it sounded excellent to put into a techno set!!!

miromiric.
11-07-2003, 12:49 PM
yep some d&b sound like techno very much, especially perc stuff.

MARKEG
11-07-2003, 01:23 PM
i know exactly what you're talking about. it's the si begg/tim wright stuff. i've often thought the same - it sounds like a cross between garage and techno.

davethedrummer
11-07-2003, 02:18 PM
yeah the tube jerk on sativae sounds really garagey to me too.
but i like it.
however i am not going to start wearing pink ben sherman shirts and loafers and getting into fights on saturdays, which pretty much sums up the 96/97 garage scene to me.

crime
11-07-2003, 03:12 PM
that's the attraction to me really, I listen to pirates in london when I'm down there occationally, and some of the Ruffer end of garage is wicked, hearing tube Jerk and the like means you don't have to go to a badass garage club full of yardies with attitude and ponces in their sunday best to enjoy it... I must say though, I think tube jerk has hit on a formula (Albeit a very good one) and can sound very the samey... does come out with the odd corker.... Warlock (Remember him) has set up the "Rag & Bone" label, heard some of that, and it's on a real ruff garage/2 step tip....
good to have a change from the usual boom boom....

Esox Lucius
11-07-2003, 03:14 PM
Warlock!

I haven`t heard of him for years.

Jimfish
11-07-2003, 03:16 PM
i remember when i was at music college in... wait for it.... lowestoft (:cry:)
about five years ago there was a guy who was well into his garage. He used to mix it up on 3 decks and was generally pretty shit hot (and had quite a tough sound). i really got into it, but never before or since have i heard any garage that i can get into.. strange..
he did have a ben sherman though :wink:

wenna
11-07-2003, 03:58 PM
i was listening to pirate fm dis' weekend! check it! 8)

seriously, its the best damn radio station in the uk. imo

MARKEG
11-07-2003, 07:34 PM
warlock???????????/

oh my god, used to dj with all the time at helter skelter. what a nice bloke.

The Divide
11-07-2003, 08:15 PM
Theres this drum and bass track called Pitched or Pitcher (something like that) its by DJ zink. Its so ****ing insane. Starts off realy soft, breaksdown and comes back in so hard, the rythm on the kicks not like your average drum and bass track. It reminds me of techno. You wanna try and find that tune, I have only heard it when I have been round my mates and a bit stoned but it sounded hardcore for a drum and bass track. I dont like Garage at all, but i have noticed those moog stlye warping basses apearing now and again in techno and know what you mean.

Chazbloke
12-07-2003, 08:28 PM
thank gawd - i'm really glad other folk are thinking the same as me!
can anyone recommend labels, artists or dj sets that have this sound?
cheers!

crime
13-07-2003, 10:44 AM
Like I say, check out, Warlock's new "Rag and Bone" Label, Tube Jerk... Also, Rotters Golf Club Esp. "Dive and Lie Wrecked", a label called "Dot com" run by Phil Subhead, Si Begg, Also more breaky labels like "Fuel" may well be worth checking out...been meaning to myself for a while... I love the bassy shit!

278d7e64a374de26f==