PDA

View Full Version : Soundforge Mastering?

tekboi
25-09-2005, 02:45 AM
I have recorded a mix through Soundforge, and the quality seems ok except that it sounds a little too bass heavy, how do I go on about reducing the bass of the whole file in Soundforge without reducing the volume? Is there mastering functions on Soundforge to do this?

fresh_an_funky_design
25-09-2005, 02:51 AM
you'd be better off doing the changes on your mixer and re-recording. Just drop the kick drum or bass line down a bit depending on which is coming through the loudest.

tekboi
25-09-2005, 07:19 AM
I need to know if you can do it on Soundforge, because I have three mixes all done, the quality is good, I just need to know if I can master it, in other words just lower the bass down a little if I can, can I or not?

FIK
25-09-2005, 10:29 AM
Just select the entire wav and put some eq on it. Works perfect

tekboi
25-09-2005, 11:37 AM
What would be the step by step process if you don't mind, I have three EQ sections (Graphic, Paragraphic & Parametric), which do I go with to minimize the bass heavy side of the quality?

fresh_an_funky_design
25-09-2005, 12:18 PM
if you use the parametric you can filter out individual frequencies, which is much more accurate, or if you use the graphic you can bring down a range of frequencies (like a dj mixer). I cant tell you how to do it step by step as i dont use soundforge.

tekboi
25-09-2005, 03:59 PM
Its cool, I did a quick graphic eq and it sounds a little better now, thanks heaps for that.

FIK
25-09-2005, 10:22 PM
It's pretty easy as you can see. Why not try some other effects as well to beef up your mix.

sash
03-10-2005, 04:47 AM
yeah u should always fix it in the mix. But for your question sound forge is fark'n excellent for mastering.

Try this:
a) bring up paragraphic eq
b) default all parameters
c) narrow your bandwidth to 0.3 oct on one of the eq's
d) give that same eq a boost so its at +15db (nice n loud)
e) press preview and move the centre frequency (usually around 50 to 100hz for that too much bass bit) around till u find the most offending part (where everythings farting and rumbling).
f) now that u found the main offending frequency, just reduce the volume of it to what sounds nice.

Remember it's better to do all this in the mix though. If your using fruity, u can do the same thing with the parametric eq in fruity and just do it on your bass line or kick drums or whatever. :)

neilried
04-10-2005, 10:41 AM
Why not try some other effects as well to beef up your mix.

Like to bring back up the top end in a bass heavy mix, normalise it to 98% in soundforge, then use the SonyWave Hammer (or Waves L1, L2 or L3 if you have any of them) to compress it again.

278d7e64a374de26f==