PDA

View Full Version : jus out of interest

connor
26-09-2005, 09:18 PM
what have u got your weights etc set on the tone arm etc? if u got 1210 MKII's

as i not sure if mine r set wrong or need a service... ive had a fiddle and not sure what is correct...

Mindful
26-09-2005, 11:13 PM
Ive got mine so there as far down(towards the head)as possible and the tone arm as high as possible.
just my preference mate,Its extreem on your needle and records tho.

TechMouse
27-09-2005, 12:10 PM

as i not sure if mine r set wrong or need a service... ive had a fiddle and not sure what is correct...
Ahhh, I had problems with this, and they were very quickly solved when I got hold of a service manual and realised I had the "extra" weights plugged in the back of the tone arms.

Just dialing up around 3/3.5 should be fine.

Dj_Tyronnster
27-09-2005, 06:13 PM
Mine is set to 0 on each,

Was thinkin about raising it on them but no sure how to set them up,

RDR
27-09-2005, 09:46 PM

Ahhh, I had problems with this, and they were very quickly solved when I got hold of a service manual and realised I had the "extra" weights plugged in the back of the tone arms.

Just dialing up around 3/3.5 should be fine.

Oh dear...

FIK
28-09-2005, 09:42 AM
It all depends on of what type of needle you have got, what height it's at, the anti-skipping and so on. There's no general setting. Just read the documentation that comes with the needles.
If you are using Ortofon/Concorde needles just put the weight at its heavyest or even take the weight of and put it back on again the other way round, if you need even more weight. Make sure that the needlecartridge itself isn't touching the record, especially with those bendy and curved bootlegs. I've had this before in the past and it only took slight adjustment to fix it so it can be very critical if you want to use heavy weight on your needle.
But remember, heavy weight on your needles is not good for your records (they wear out faster)
Like I said before: check the settings in the manual.

Jay Pace
28-09-2005, 01:32 PM
Everyone always gets this wrong.

Right...

Move the weight backwards until the tone arm is "floating" horizontally - ie with no downwards force at all.

Now move the number dial round WITHOUT MOVING THE WEIGHT so that it is set at 0. Horizontal wightless tone arm should always be 0

Now turn the weight and dial so that it moves up the tone arm. Each incremental number (1,2,3,4) represents a gram of force on the stylus.

Most stylii want around 4g of tracking weight. If you are unsure check the manufacturers website.

Too much tracking force results in shitty distorted sound, it damages your records and your stylus. Too little force and it will skip.

If you are playing outdoors or somewhere where you need more tracking for whatever reason give it an extra gram or so.

TechMouse
28-09-2005, 01:40 PM
Oh dear...

Yeah, well, laugh all you want... but it's not like anyone explains this to you is it.

RDR
28-09-2005, 02:43 PM
Oh dear...

Yeah, well, laugh all you want... but it's not like anyone explains this to you is it.

:lol:

..... :lol:

TechMouse
28-09-2005, 03:07 PM
:cry: :evil: :rambo:

RDR
28-09-2005, 03:49 PM
:cry: :evil: :rambo:

if you had bought the shure m447's it shure woud av!

PS - i made same mistakes for many years!

278d7e64a374de26f==