PDA

View Full Version : How did you become the acid freak that you are?

analog tactic
27-09-2005, 11:20 AM
Acid Techno aint exactly the music that gets blasted into everyones ears at 8 o'clock in the morning inbetween the droning sound of terry woggans voice on radio 2 or the annoying banter of chris moyals show, infact its very are that techno gets played on the radio at all. The only snippets you get rarely came on shows like John Peels. (RIP) It is how ever the kind of music you would hear whilst your tripping your nuts off lost in a warehouse at 8 o'clock on a sunday morning.

So how did we all get into that warehouse or how did you get into this music if it wasnt trough squat parties?

I used to like trance when i was very young, i then moved onto punk for about 2 years, as well as liking punk i also got into drum and bass it was through drum and bass that i got into techno, i'd been to a few clubs like Fabric, The End, Canvas (formaly baglies) and Breakin' Science at Camden Palace. The friends i went to these raves with also took me to my first free party, in a field, there was a big techno link up and a drum and bass rig, i spent prity much all of my night at the drum and bass rig presuming that the techno was just somekind of speeded up hardcore trance music.

This was at the end of the summer, i then started going to london squat parties and began to see a very dark side of the drum and bass scene and began to spend more and more time at the techno rigs, the music grew on me and eventualy i'd spend my whole night stomping to techno while my other mates broked out to the drum and bass. i found techno and the people who liked techno alot more friendly, people left their egos at the door, i also started to prefer the way people dance to techno, i made friends with the techno heads and then eventualy started mixing round my mates, baught my own decks and began to build a collection of speakers and records.....and BOOM here i am today, totaly addicted to that rythmic bass and those 303 sounds. :rambo: :dance:

so how did all of you get into it?

Si the Sigh
27-09-2005, 11:24 AM
Those trippy springy boingy 303's... :dance:

xes
27-09-2005, 12:53 PM
I used to be into gabba and hardcore techno.

The nights I went to also had some techno and acid techno,I gradually realised that music didn't have to be 6billion bpm for it to be having it.

Then I went to some free parties,and was totally blown away by the music,those squelchy 303s just took me to the place i wanted to be. this must have been a good 10 years ago,and I've not looked back.

Just loved it. Always will do aswell.

Acid techno is for life,not just for christmas.

Si the Sigh
27-09-2005, 01:40 PM
Same as ^

But still into my hardcore techno as well as all other forms. :rambo:

darkmockeray
27-09-2005, 03:35 PM
i was into all sorts of music when i was younger hardcore/metal/hip hop/loadsa diff dance etc etc in my late teens techno became my preference........ jeff mills/ritchie hawtin etc. then in january 2000 i moved to london to live with one of my mates, on my first night i went to ANTIWORLD and was like - what the hell is goin on here!!!! for the next year i worked in camden and was goin to deifferent squats and underground parties all over london listenin to my new found love ACID TECHNO!!!!!

and here i am now livin back in dublin puttin on my own hard/acid tachno nights with a few other heads...... and at the minute organizing a big multiroom antiworld-esque night of our own!!!!!! so there ya go....... :rambo:

darkmockeray
27-09-2005, 03:37 PM
planet underground dublin -----> http://www.blackoutaudio.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=39764

fresh_an_funky_design
27-09-2005, 04:10 PM
i remeber when i was in high school one of my mates was into acid techno and at the time i though "what a load of crap" throughout high school i was really into hip hop, mainly east coast stuff. As I got a bit older got really into drum n bass, started to go to d'n'b clubs and saw the dark side of drum n bass as well. Once of the nights i went to had a techno room at the time thought it was alright. Then one of the lads i used to skate with took me to a techno night... buzzed off the tunes all night long, soon after that started going to free parties and since then been a certified techno head.
When i first started listening to techno wasnt really into the acid sound but now i'm quite into it.

fatcollective
27-09-2005, 04:13 PM
Stay Up Forever Collective!

tocsin
27-09-2005, 04:15 PM
Luck and exploration. I happened to live near an environment that had a diverse range of sounds at the time. Picked up some mixes/CDs of different styles. I didn't really get into it as an actual genre though until I got a pair of decks. Then, it was largely just through dumpster diving. I only bought decks when I was about 3-4 hours from NYC and was in a region where there weren't many DJs playing what I enjoyed. There was a fair amount of house and that was it. So, grabbed a pair of decks to start making mixes for myself and, in the process of buying records, stumbled across all the acid techno I like now. Didn't really have any help or guidance which was both good and bad I guess. None of my friends were into any techno.

Si the Sigh
27-09-2005, 04:16 PM
I'd say 90% of people into Techno / Acid Techno used to be well into rock music at some point in their life. Thats a fact!

analog tactic
27-09-2005, 04:54 PM
technos got that edge to it :rambo: and some of that punk rebel feel, like we shouldnt be doing what we are doing. Its also got that cool funky vibe as well :cool: I ****IN LUV IT I DO :lol:

Aratron
27-09-2005, 05:19 PM
taking drugs .
could you seriously take a pill and dance to hard-house all night?

xes
27-09-2005, 05:20 PM
I'd say 90% of people into Techno / Acid Techno used to be well into rock music at some point in their life. Thats a fact!

hhhmm,when I was 2 years old,i used to hog the headphones and listen to pink floyd.

i was destined to love acidy music.

mux
27-09-2005, 07:16 PM
heheh - seems I got into it much later than most of you. I grew up in a town of 4000 on the east coast of Canada, pretty much zero electronic music except for big-name "Electronica" compilations. I heard those and knew I wanted more, but had no idea where to find it.

Flash-forward a few years to 2000... I've done the candy-raver thing in Calgary, decided I needed to become a live-PA, spent all my cash for a couple of years on equipment, moved to Vancouver, and then travelled back to Calgary for my first ever live-PA show with a friend of mine.

Well, we sucked. We played at 11:30pm and *cleared the floor*. We totally stunk up the place. I was trying to be Orbital while my friend was trying to be Spiral Tribe. We slunk off the stage in utter disgrace. Then we took a bunch of pills.

One of the other guys spinning that night was GIJody - he spun proper London acid techno and blew the ****ing roof right off the place - it went from 150 people at the back of the dancefloor, leaning/sitting on the walls, to 150 people up against the speakers, hands in the air. I had an epiphany - I knew right then that *that* was the real goal of it all, and started producing music to put peoples' hands in the air at 3am. It's been five years since, and I'm finally getting to the point where it's happening. :)

dan the acid man
27-09-2005, 09:41 PM
well, i was mainly listening to rock, and bands like the verve and spiritualized.

i then heard a few plastikman tracks somewhere, iv'e got a feeling it was john peel who played them, could be wrong though.

so then i went out and bought artefakts bc, and then all the rest of the plastikman albums, but to this day, artefakts still does it for me.

of course, that album had a few acid lines in it, which i loved, then a few months later, i went to college, and a guy on the course was a dj who played acid techno.

the first few times i heard him mix where mind blowing, i'd never heard such energy in dance music before.

i spent a good while just listening to him practice, and all the time, getting more and more into the sound.

thats it really

AcidTrash
28-09-2005, 08:33 PM
Rock the house- tinrib. nuff said.

kai_1
29-09-2005, 12:21 AM
I grew up playing Guitar in a indie/grunge band then went a free party when I was 16 and got really f ucking high... Couldn't believe what I'd found! I've been 'avin it ever since... :lol:

fatcollective
29-09-2005, 12:37 AM
Rock the house- tinrib. nuff said.

for christ sake pete :lol:

AcidTrash
30-09-2005, 09:28 PM
HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

No really. It was the first dance tune I ever heard followed by Havok 10 and Ride the groove.

AcidTrash
30-09-2005, 09:35 PM
Thinking about it tho, I reckon in was Barstow on Coshh that set me going with the acid properly and then International rescue

Deviant Idol
30-09-2005, 09:45 PM
Thinking about it tho, I reckon in was Barstow on Coshh that set me going with the acid properly and then International rescue

Same for me as well! That and Unlucky Punk and Green for Go that REALLY got me into the 303!

AcidTrash
01-10-2005, 11:53 AM
I'd have to say Routemaster 5 "Lock!" the greatest acid tune eva!

distek
01-10-2005, 12:18 PM

good choice, proper ACID TEEEEEEEEEEEEEECCCCCCCHNOOOOOOOOO!!!

FUSION
01-10-2005, 01:19 PM
the rabbits name was defo the first tune to send me nuts but I rekon drugs played the biggest part, got sick of sitting at home getting the munt on waiting for all my mates to get back from the techno clubs

Pheeva
01-10-2005, 06:59 PM

yeah when all 3 Liberators played the Orange Peel in Rhyl , must have been 7 or 8 years ago :love:

fatcollective
02-10-2005, 01:52 PM

yeah when all 3 Liberators played the Orange Peel in Rhyl , must have been 7 or 8 years ago :love:

some of my best nights out ...ever!

analog tactic
03-10-2005, 11:15 AM
pounding grooves 27

jah scoop - lick it

london acid city

Audio Pancake - check one, check two

these tunes got me into techno and lick it is the only tune which has lost its spark for me

networkacid
04-10-2005, 04:00 PM
Thomas P. Heckmann
Hardfloor
Rob Acid
Mike Ink

These were the first acid producers I got into... Then it all dried up and then I found Smitten, SUF, etc and they were much harder but still that 303 sound I loved..

Then I got over it about 2 years ago... I got old and got back into slower funky music... Now I can hardly listen to acid techno, just too fast for me these days :lol:

Now I listen to electro mostly and there is heaps of cool new funky acid shit being written...

xes
04-10-2005, 05:15 PM
so,from most peoples accounts,it was the music and nothign to do with being off ya nut nut on acid?

Cos i have to admit,i used to eat shite loads of acid,and that really tuned me into the 303 sound.

I remember my mate asking me why they called it acid techno,and luckily I had some acid to hand. So we went and sat indoors all night listening to acid techno and tripping our titties off. I asked him if he'd understood why it was called acid techno yet. He just nodded and carried on staring at the wall.

rowland the bastard
05-10-2005, 01:27 AM
to much acid

dan the acid man
05-10-2005, 01:36 AM
oh yeah for sure, it wouldnt have been as much fun without all the chemicals, but like everybody on here, i get as much enjoyment from listening to it straight as i do off my face, well, nearly as much :lol:

Aratron
05-10-2005, 09:14 AM
oh yeah for sure, it wouldnt have been as much fun without all the chemicals, but like everybody on here, i get as much enjoyment from listening to it straight as i do off my face, well, nearly as much :lol:

word ;)

rowland the bastard
05-10-2005, 10:13 AM
squares!!! :cool:

Si the Sigh
05-10-2005, 10:23 AM
Dots! :crackup:

analog tactic
05-10-2005, 10:33 AM
dash :wtf:

Si the Sigh
05-10-2005, 10:36 AM
Liquid! :shock:

analog tactic
05-10-2005, 10:38 AM
aciiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiid :love:

rowland the bastard
05-10-2005, 11:01 AM
anything :shock:

The Germ
05-10-2005, 11:35 AM
Skunky Pusssssy Blotter :dontevengothere:

Rog
05-10-2005, 11:57 AM
goa, acid trance and early trippy psy.

think: quietman, man with no name, flying rhino, heckman, the seceret, lab4, choci, beamish etc etc etc..

older friend mixed and was already way into his sounds - so i got a look straight into the underground market and some of the fluff that helped to earn artist cash to continue.

Aratron
05-10-2005, 07:12 PM
what got me into acid techno was going to a free party in Sheffield one day, at this big church.
it was hunt sabateours event and DJ Dill Zogg was playing.
He was playing the hardest most industrial music i'd ever heard, it was perfectly mixed and overwhelmingly hard. i was totally off my face, and i remember asking my mate Dan what this music was and he said Acid Techno.
After then i bought some decks and a load of acid techno that was in 2001.
first records i bought were Baron Felch, Hydro 2, Raw 9, Rozzers Dog, Bang On 5 was i buzzing or what

dan the acid man
05-10-2005, 07:17 PM
green top church :cool:

Aratron
05-10-2005, 07:22 PM
yes i think it was

the police came and tried to get us to turn the music down.

the acoustics were awesome. you could feel and see all the church windows moving in and out to the bass. and the bass just sailed down the nave, absolutely awesome. best party i have ever been to

Rog
06-10-2005, 02:38 PM
^ he know his church parts.. impressed!

ye bang on 5 is sick sick sick chewn! on a rig that's big - its one of my fav ever bits of MUSIC - sweet stuff :clap:

John Smite
07-10-2005, 11:09 PM
Drop Bass
ESP
Hyperactive
Terry Mullan
Plastikman

"Even Further" parties...

analog tactic
08-10-2005, 12:10 AM
Ballon Heads :dance:

Deviant Idol
08-10-2005, 07:26 AM
Ballon Heads :dance:

Jaw to the floor, all the way man :rambo:

networkacid
09-10-2005, 04:24 AM
So, from most peoples accounts, it was the music and nothing to do with being off ya nut nut on acid?

I'd say equal parts of both for me :love:

analog tactic
09-10-2005, 07:05 PM
so,from most peoples accounts,it was the music and nothign to do with being off ya nut nut on acid?

Cos i have to admit,i used to eat shite loads of acid,and that really tuned me into the 303 sound.

If you like the music, then you like the music, drugs can only enhance your emotions.

christian wagner
16-10-2005, 03:12 PM
I used to Dj Happy hardcore stuff up untill 3 years ago, it WAS good back then, but it all of a sudden decided to go all trance and generally quite crappy, and still is in my opinion. it didnt have any groove to it and it wasnt anything that hadnt been done before.

I had a few tape packs with techno sets in them and i found myself listening to one one day (chris liberator) and i knew of SUF & Cluster cos i bought 1 or 2 back in 1999, then i went into HMV and they had new whites in there from powertools, cluster, SUF, so i got a few and just continued to buy them!

ACiD_Technoid
18-02-2007, 07:04 PM
I become an addict to acid music in late winter of 2002, when i was searching for Pirate mp3 compilations at Kiev city Radiomarket, and saw mp3-disc ACiD Flash Vol.4,5,6.
I bought it for 3$ (very big money for me, a shoolboy). And listened to it many, many crazy hours..Also i bought some pirate mp3-conpilations online in Dnepropetrovsk music internet-shop. Thats like )

fils_here
18-02-2007, 08:40 PM

was into metal, hardcore, punky, crusty stuff before getting into techno aye. well got into early trance type stuff before leading onto techno, banco di gia, eat static, herbal teaparties etc...

christian wagner
19-02-2007, 12:44 AM
I used to be into the hardcore scene in a big way, but with it becoming far tooo commercial with all the club trance influences, all producers started making the same stuff, so it became so boring.

one day in HMV there was a promo rack and in it were loadsa techno white labels, stay up forever, bang on, subsonix, clusters, and allsorts, so i bought the lot, was a bargain at £4 each!

it sounded a lot less "serious" than the hardcore did, was a more sensible tempo, ad most off all, the scene doesnt have the snobbish attitude like hardcore!

Loadsa people thought it was stupid but i stuck to my guns, and iv never been happier playin and makin the stuff!!!

zyclone
19-02-2007, 02:30 PM
I remember the first acid techno record I heard! I was searching juno for som new tunes and I came over Rozzers Dog - Now I'm going to..... and i fell in love with the sound!! :D

Electrictribe
19-02-2007, 06:15 PM

that is defo true.

got into from going to squat parties around london in the early to mid nineties and generally being off it. Loves those 303's :laughing:

fils_here
19-02-2007, 09:58 PM
I remember the first acid techno record I heard! I was searching juno for som new tunes and I came over Rozzers Dog - Now I'm going to..... and i fell in love with the sound!! :D

that was probably the 1st acid techno record i bought myself, from hmv of all places, a few years back now LOL!! :laughing:

zyclone
20-02-2007, 01:40 PM
Nice! I love that tune! Im looking for a new copy, my old one has a big scratch on it! =/

Barnz
22-02-2007, 12:30 AM
I use to listen to Hard House, and eventually I started buying records on Vicious Circle. I heard the Dave the Drummer remix of Paul Glazby`s Acid Disco track on Vicious Cirlce and I liked it. Having heard this I started searching for Dave the Drummer tunes, and found the Hydraulix label so I brought some of those.

Because Dave the Drummer has made tunes along side Chris Liberator that led me to searching for Chris Liberator tunes so I found out about Stay Up Forever and those labels etc.

Rog
27-02-2007, 02:37 PM
london acidic trance & techno!

tell me choci wasn't rocking!

the era of samsara style is still teh best mix of decent acid trance & techno in that dirty london style

PunK
01-03-2007, 05:34 AM
I was dragged kickin and screaming in early 2000 by my mates to a nice dark and dingy club in Melbourne called "VIRUS" where nothing but slammin acid tekno was played..... 7am the following morning i was dragged out only to return week in and week out until the club ended.... from there the UPN was started in Melbourne and squat/ warehouse/ outdoor parties happened.... from there i took myself to london for two months of nothing but acid tekno parties......

...... i still thanks my mates for draggin me to virus that night some 7 odd years ago.......

TiagoTechnoHead
02-03-2007, 04:15 AM
i´ve heard to much Hydraulix , SUF , RAW , Powertools, Yolk and many others ...

here i am , it happened that way

rhythmtech
02-03-2007, 04:25 AM
started goin to fusion in dublin about 96 or so.. the resident dj (derek f) was playin early suf and cluster.. that was that. hooked.

Athar
02-03-2007, 03:53 PM
Ive started listening techno around 94 in poland, lot influences coming from germany so i been big fan minimal/techno/acid/hard trance (old school) include labels like: tresor, harthouse, noom, labworks, force inc. IST, important, djungle fever, drop bass network, dos or die or made in frankfurt etc.
Then around 1998 ive going to london for 2 weeks to visit my freinds, they bring me to squat party where i met acid techno.
There i got acid techno infected :)
After this i bought my first vinyl rec,
it was suf 37 and after more and more, more ....
now its 2007 and i cant stop.
Totally addicted.

acidguru
02-03-2007, 06:58 PM
It actually started way back in 87/88 when the first Acid House releases came over here.Hearing the 303 i went totally crazy over those lovely sounds,and i still am after all these years

APC
04-03-2007, 02:42 PM
Was bang into early rave in 1989-1992, between the ages of 9-12 (mates sister used to bring back tapes and lend em to us from wherever she had been). Was into stuff like N-Joi, The Product and loads and loads of other stuff that I can't remember. Then went into The Metal Phase til the age of 18, although started listening to jungle when in around 1995-1996 when I was just listening to the radio on a Friday night and gettin tuned into One In The Jungle. Then learned about jungle then got into tape packs. Occasionally I would branch out into the techno/hardcore helter skelter packs, but was mainly into jungle/D+B until I went to a party by an unknown system in middle of Dorset after gettin invited by a mate of a mate. Then danced to what I just called techno (in around 1999 I think) all night on green playstation pills.

Then a year or two later I decided to research raves on Mr Internet. I found a forum called Dirty Circus (RIP) and got chatting to some guys from Tribe of Locust who invited me out to one of their parties in the woods near my house. Turned up and it was properly well good acid techno. All the people who I met were properly well friendly and welcoming and I started going to all their parties over the course of a few years. After a few local parties I began going to London, Wales and the Midlands in search of more acid techno. Had absolutely loads of fun, never had a shit night EVER and was building up a **** load of mixes that I was downloading from wherever, as well as mix cds from parties etc. Then just over a year ago I decided I wanted to mix and got me some decks with change that I had been saving for about 4 years (had just over £100 and supplemented this with a few extra quids).

Now everything I do has techno in the background, whether I'm driving to college, making dinner, waking up, coursework, walking, relaxing...........

I'm still only buying what some people think of as the "cliched" labels of acid techno i.e. stuff under the SUF umbrella, but that's what I ****ing love. Once I'm working again I'll start looking further afield for other labels but til then I'm happy blasting out SUF/Highwire/Smitten and the like til the (mad) cows (on acid) come home!!!!

illegal_audio
06-03-2007, 10:30 AM
Hi everyone :)

I originally caught the 303 bug thru listening to & spinning hard trance & hard house. Quite a few of the tracks I spun had acid lines & I absolutely loved them. Over time I started looking for more 303 dominated tracks. I started noticing names like D.A.V.E the Drummer , Chris Liberator & Geezer & really dug their sound. About 6 months ago I heard a few mixes from D.A.V.E the Drummer & Chris Liberator online & the rest is history.

To answer the question about acid techno fans originally being into rock... I was into metal & a bit of rock.

278d7e64a374de26f==