PDA

View Full Version : Ever had to repair a powerbook LCD ground?

dbit
28-09-2005, 09:25 AM
So, as is a common issue with powerbooks on the go, I cracked my hinge and it cut the display ground wire and shut off the screen. The computer works on an external monitor, but the display ground is severed.

Now, it's like $500 minimum to have the screen repaired at a shop, and something like $800 through apple, for which price I could probably find a more powerful used powerbook at this point.

There are repair kits for around $130 dollars. People say they can be done, with patience and the 46 page guides being sold. Others say its dangerous, difficult, and can cause permanent damage. Of course those are the same people trying to get $500 from you to repair it.

While this is common with travelling powerbooks, its still uncommon enough that I am posting this everywhere looking for someone whose been through this.

If you have done this, or have some advice please post or pm. I'm looking to resolve this asap.

Thanks!

:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

alsynthe
28-09-2005, 10:26 AM
buy a new one much less hassle

dbit
28-09-2005, 11:57 AM
Buy a new mac? Or a new LCD screen? Also, remember the repair is to a broken hinge and a severed ground wire, not from damage to the LCD. Someone had a recent quote from a mac store that did a tiBook for $300 garunteed (much lower then I've heard from most). Don't know if its true or was a faulty part replacement deal. But damn, $300 for a garunteed repair I'd do it quicker then buying a used or new mac right now.

I've read about doing the repair yourself, and the repair kit is $150 to your door. I'd pay $150 on some repair insurance for this not to annoy me any longer!

:evil: :evil: :evil: :rambo: :evil: :evil: :evil: :rambo: :evil: :evil: :evil:

fresh_an_funky_design
28-09-2005, 12:07 PM
i personally wouldnt do it youself, the instructions are always crap. But then again it took me 10 mins to work out how to get the ram chips out of my powerbook!

herman
29-09-2005, 01:48 PM
http://www.macfixit.com/

278d7e64a374de26f==