PDA

View Full Version : Javascript Window Options...

TechMouse
05-10-2005, 12:46 PM
OK, get a standard browser window open in IE... press F11....

Looks pretty tidy.

Open a browser window with these options in JavaScript....
"fullscreen=0,toolbar=0,scrollbars=1,location=0,sta tusbar=0,menubar=0,resizable=1,width=0,height=0"

Looks feckin' horrible.

Do the same in Firefox and it's really tidy... but I suspect me going back to my boss and saying "tell the client to install Firefox" will be met with an unhealthy mix of incredulity and derision.

Any ideas?

TechMouse
05-10-2005, 12:47 PM
Open a browser window with these options in JavaScript....
"fullscreen=0,toolbar=0,scrollbars=1,location=0,sta tusbar=0,menubar=0,resizable=1,width=0,height=0"

Looks feckin' horrible.

Sorry, should have said "press F11 and it looks feckin' horrible".

schlongfingers
05-10-2005, 09:57 PM
have you got a link to an example?

Barely Human
05-10-2005, 10:34 PM
They ****ed this all up in ie 6. It because they had to have the Microsoft logo displayed at all times. This really ****ed up chromeless windows aswell.

I think they have got round the problem tho, and chromeless windows look cool as ****. Id check them out mate...

TechMouse
06-10-2005, 10:38 AM
They **** this all up in ie 6. It because they had to have the Microsoft logo displayed at all times. This really **** up chromeless windows aswell.

I think they have got round the problem tho, and chromeless windows look cool as ****. Id check them out mate...
Chromeless windows?

I'll google... cheers!

TechMouse
06-10-2005, 11:04 AM
http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex8/chromeless.htm

Chromeless windows are not supported in Windows XP.

Though to be honest, I don't think this is what I need.

All I need is for the F11 fullscreen mode to not have buttons, toolbar, address bar etc.

Which for some reason it does when you set them to not appear in a JS window.open() function.

Barely Human
06-10-2005, 06:17 PM
As far as i know, there is currently no easy way round this problem. Microsoft are twats. However, chromless windows can be used in IE6 and Xp sp1 - http://www.chromeless.org/

However, you would have to hack in a full screen command as i dont think this version has one in...

schlongfingers
06-10-2005, 10:54 PM
Try the following code in your head tag

<script language="javascript">
document.onkeydown = function (){
if (122 == event.keyCode) {
document.location.reload();
}
}
</script>

Haven't had a chance to test but hopefully this will reload the page and at least display it better.

Alternatively changing document.location.reload(); to:

event.keyCode = 0;
return false;

should ignore the F11 keypress, if this works you may want to detect ie before performing in order to maintain functionality in firefox and other good browsers :D

Interested in knowing if this works

schlongfingers
06-10-2005, 11:08 PM
so curiosity got the better of me

it seems firefox doesn't work with the function, but ie does, which is cool in this case

<script language="javascript">
document.onkeydown = function (){
if (122 == event.keyCode) {
event.keyCode=0;
return false();
}
}
</script>

prevents maximization in ie, however, on my pc at least, it requires acceptance of activex... which is a bit much

maybe you can modify the code to get round the activex requirement though

TechMouse
07-10-2005, 11:11 AM
Hmmm... well, the boys in the suits want fullscreen, but they don't want all the crap.

But apparently if I launch it with "fullscreen=1" (in which case you can't F11 out of it) then this will confuse users, as our users will not be able to grasp Ctrl-W or Alt-F4. Utter gayness.

I'll give this a go and see if it meets reqs, but it sounds to me like you're just disabing fullscreen?

TechMouse
07-10-2005, 11:14 AM
Cheers for the help, by the way ;)

schlongfingers
07-10-2005, 11:59 AM
Yes that disables fullscreen altogether

ok, as a proper hacky way, you could detect the F11 keypress as above (put it within an ie detect first)

Then open a new window using window.open with standard browser buttons, and close the popup using window.close

But I think maybe the best way here is to cut ya losses.. it's a really hacky way of doing it :D

schlongfingers
07-10-2005, 12:00 PM
Of course that method still has all the crap, but at least it's laid out in a standard way that doesn't look like you've just given the user a virus :D cant believe how bad popups look when fulscreened in ie, it's well dodge!

TechMouse
07-10-2005, 12:32 PM
Of course that method still has all the crap, but at least it's laid out in a standard way that doesn't look like you've just given the user a virus :D cant believe how bad popups look when fulscreened in ie, it's well dodge!
Bloody Micro$haft.

Is there any way I can raise this as an issue with them?

Perhaps if I point out that because of this "feature", I will be advising our (potentially not inconsiderable) user base to switch to either Firefox or Opera for a cleaner layout...

MangaFish
11-10-2005, 09:31 PM
Hmmm... well, the boys in the suits want fullscreen, but they don't want all the crap.

But apparently if I launch it with "fullscreen=1" (in which case you can't F11 out of it) then this will confuse users, as our users will not be able to grasp Ctrl-W or Alt-F4. Utter gayness.

I'll give this a go and see if it meets reqs, but it sounds to me like you're just disabing fullscreen?
cant you do that but add your own JS button to close the window?

278d7e64a374de26f==